1st Hair Cut @ WDW???

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by gymbomominNC, Jul 10, 2009.

1. gymbomominNC

gymbomominNC Mouseketeer

Did your DD or DS have their first hair cut @ WDW? Tell me about your experience please!

DD will be 2 and 1/2 when we go in November. She is hair challenged...very fine and thin and just now beginning to curl a little in the back. I have been debating about having her first haircut @ WDW after reading about the child getting ears and a certificate. However, DD is somewhat unpredictable and gets ill at times when I try to fix her hair. Just wondering how patient the hair stylists are. Did you like the cut/style? We are not doing BBB, just thought about doing the "Barber Shop" on Main Street @ MK.

I would love to hear your experiences! TIA!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DISNEYNV

DISNEYNV Cats don't talk

We took my DS who was 15 months at the time to the Barber Shop on Main street and they did a fantastic job! From keeping him entertained with Mickey stickers to pictures and of course the Ears and certificate:) By far the best experience for the money at WDW. The cast members know their stuff and while some kids do cry in the chair it's still an unforgetable memory:) I say go for it and you won't regret having those cute curls trimmed just a little bit:)

PS) if you do decide to take her, get there at rope drop. It's small and a line forms quickly... First come first served!

4. gymbomominNC

gymbomominNC Mouseketeer

Thanks for your response. Just wondering, how many "barbers" were there?

5. SLK1

SLK1 DIS Veteran

We took my DD (now 7) when she was around 2. She was HORRIBLE. I'm sure people riding Space Mountain could hear her screams. The CM was very patient, and we have pictures of my DD covered in stickers, the CM practically doing a dance around her to make her happy. But, DD was a huge pill and nothing worked...they cut her hair anyway, and at least we were pleased! It's nothing different than you would get at any hair place, style-wise, but it's a great photo op, not to mention the ears, certificate, and confetti they give them. :wizard:

6. gymbomominNC

gymbomominNC Mouseketeer

Yeh, I'm thinking that might be the case w/ DD but it would be the same anywhere I guess. But she loves stickers, so that might be our saving grace.

BTW, what is the cost for a cut?

7. DISNEYNV

DISNEYNV Cats don't talk

There were at least two chairs, but could have been three. We waited with DS for over half hour in line. It was 14 dollars and we gave the CM a 5 dollar tip. Not bad:)

8. mrstomrice

mrstomrice Disney Planning Fanactic!

We had DS 2 first haircut there too. Luckily he was fine. There have always been 2 barbers when we have gone. It is a tradition for every trip! The hours are 9-5 daily. We walked out once b/c the line was so long, but came back the next day early and had no problems. I hear they are less crowded during the parade too. The cost was $14.00.

9. cmusschoot

cmusschoot DIS Veteran

I just heard about the first haircut stuff...never knew.

Thrilled that my DD will not have had a haircut before we go so she will have her first at Disney HOW fun!! She is 2 and barely had any hair until recently...bleach blonde and super fine!!!

Makes me thankful I waited to get a haircut for her....She does look like a rag-a-muffin though!!!!

I cannot believe you get ears...??? WHat a fun treat!!!

10. mjkacmom

mjkacmom DIS Veteran

I've never had it done, but I do know, from having 5 children, that baby hair is baby hair - the only way to thicken it up is to have it cut. The new hair is much thicker. My oldest (and blondest) was bald until her first birthday, but it was emotionally painful to have my darker kids hair cut, especially my ds6, because he had beautiful curls that I knew wouldn't come back.

11. TXSchoolNurse

TXSchoolNurse Earning My Ears

We leave for WDW next week and this trip was basically planned so my 2 year old DD could get her first haircut there. My 12 year old DD got her 1st haircut there when she was 2 and it was so great - we wanted the younger one to have the same experience!

The video and pics of my older daughter are just priceless and the certificate and the 1st haircut ears still hang on her wall.

I am pregnant with my 3rd baby and we will probably be back when he/ she is 2 also - cannot break the tradition!

12. nytimez

nytimez Nihilist

They are great with little kids and it's one of the best values in the parks.

13. MonkersMama

MonkersMama Mouseketeer

We are going to get DDs first haircut there next month, it is such a mop of curls right now and she yanks the cute clippies out. Cannot wait to do this with her!

14. 2littlez'sandme

2littlez'sandme Mouseketeer

I took DS when he was 2 1/2. He squirmed and screamed but the experience was well worth it. He loved the stickers and the candy. I loved the certificate and the ears (which I didn't know about!). I didn't get any photos because I had to hold him down in the chair, DH was with other DS on the Buzz Lightyear ride, but the memory is unforgettable.

15. E-P-C-O-T

E-P-C-O-T DIS Veteran

Is there a minimum age? My DD will be 11 months on our next trip and she is growing a mullet :rotfl2: and in serious need of a haircut.

16. gymbomominNC

gymbomominNC Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's input! We will definitely be doing her 1st haircut at WDW!

17. SharpMomOfTwo

SharpMomOfTwo DIS Veteran

We took both our girls for their first cuts there last December. My oldest was almost 4 at the time, and really needed it done - she had so much hair! They did a pretty good job on her. My youngest was just over 2, and didn't really need a cut, so we just had them give her bangs - they turned out really cute, and I do them at home now. For my oldest it was no big deal, but for my youngest, she wasn't happy about it. She wouldn't sit still, and kept taking off the stickers the woman had put on her. It was over very quickly though - 4 minutes! It was about $15 each, and they got the ears and the certificate - for me, it was worth it - even for my youngest who didn't really "need" a cut.

18. jmfuents

jmfuents Earning My Ears

We took our DD when she was 9 months old and it was FABULOUS - got amazing pics and vids and is a memory that will last a lifetime!

19. AKADrea

AKADrea Mouseketeer

we are planning this for our upcoming trip! For DD4, and DS1! :thumbsup2

20. helles

helles Earning My Ears

We were at DW in May and my Grandson had his first haircut there. The barber was amazing. He covered Travis with stickers and spoke very quietly with him as he cut his hair. I don't think he had a clue what was going on he was so busy with the stickers. We have the cutest picture of him, the barber showing him with the ears on looking into the mirror and smiling away.

I am pretty sure there were only 2 chairs. We got there right at rope drop and had to wait maybe half an hour.

It really is a bargain for $14.

21. MinnieTink

MinnieTink DIS Veteran

We did this with our son last November. We had Penny the barber. She covered my son in Mickey stickers and gave him a great haircut. I had been concerned that he might try and escape but she was so GREAT with him! I wished I could take her with me. The $14 pricetag on the first haircut experience is the best value in WDW.