<font color=green> in charge of the credit cards a
Who we are:

Me, Theresa (Latte lover)
My DH Tony (Tony64)
My sister Mandy (MandyJane)
My Brother-in-law Peter (FleetPete)
My Nephew Andrew (16)
My Nephew Kieran (12)

We would have loved it if our DD Maddie and DS Callum could have joined us, but Maddie has just started her new job after leaving Uni, and Cal has a series of gigs arranged with his band, so it wasn’t to be.

To give you some background to this trip, thirty five years ago when I was nine years old and my sister Mandy was seven, we won first prize in a competition run by Birdseye, the prize being a holiday to Walt Disney World.

In 1975, a holiday to Florida was something we could only dream about. Back then, most family’s took holidays in the UK, indeed only two children in my class had been out of the country, and neither of them further than Europe, so you can imagine our excitement.

We even made it to the local newspaper!

Here’s the hilarious photo they printed before we left:

family002-1.jpg
[/IMG]

And another one when we got back:

scan0017.jpg
[/IMG]

Here’s a few pics of us while we were there:

Here we are with Flower from Bambi:

scan0014.jpg

It was difficult to get good pictures of the characters as there was no orderly queuing, more of a free-for-all.

Us with Friar Tuck

scan0010.jpg

Us with the Pig That Built The House Of Bricks (I think). Not sure what his actual name is. We can't remember this picture being taken and we can't make out where exactly in the Magic Kingdom we are.

scan0004.jpg

Mandy and I were always dressed the same! (Our mum is a good dressmaker and made many of our clothes, so although we looked the same as each other, at least we didn’t look like anyone else!).

Parades were very different back then; no floats, just characters walking. We only got a glimpse of Mickey.

scan0005-1.jpg

scan0015.jpg

I still have those sunglasses!

Of course, we were completely hooked on Disney and as we grew up, we knew we would go back one day.

However, despite all our trips to Florida since then (11 for me and Tony, 3 for Mandy and Peter), we have never managed to go at the same time until now, so obviously we are all hugely excited and there have been almost daily conversations about the trip for over a year.

We have a packed itinerary, the highlight being Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but we also intend to visit the 4 Disney parks, a couple of water parks and maybe have a few days further afield.

Of course, a trip to Florida would not be complete without plenty of shopping! Tony and I love shopping over there (we almost never shop at home), and I am so looking forward to browsing the craft and scrapbook stores with Mandy.

This year hasn’t been so great for us, and we have had to budget carefully for this trip.
We are flying indirect with KLM/Delta from Heathrow to MCO via New York, which kept the cost down a bit, (and spookily, is the same route Mandy and I took 35 years ago) and a friend of Peter‘s has very generously lent us his villa at Cumbrian Lakes (near our favourite Walmart!) at a much reduced rate.

We got a good deal with Budget for our two hire cars, and another great deal with Purple Parking for meet and greet parking at Heathrow Airport. Our currency is coming from Crown at 1.62, so we’ve done quite well with that too.

We have a get-together planned for next weekend to finalise our itinerary and then it’s pretty much time to start packing and Single Digit Dancing!

This is the most fascinating TR. I can't believe you even scanned the pics so we could see! Where did you stay when you went in '75? What were your highlights from that first trip? I bet you were the talk of the town when you came back. Darn, I just made Birdseye steamfresh veg half an hour ago and no tickets came tumbling out of mine :lmao:

I would love to hear more about the first and the upcoming trips. Are you and Mandy going to try and get some photos taken in the same places you did when you first went (well those places that are still there/recognisable)? I do hope there is more to come. :banana:

EDIT: I just saw the Royal Plaza 75 in your signature, so ignore that question.

Great pre-trip report Theresa. I loved all your photos from 1975, those were the days when people were rich to visit DisneyWorld, so you were so lucky to win a trip ::yes::

I look forward to seeing your plans, and hopefully our paths will cross when we're out there (we're finalising our plans at the moment too) :)

Enjoy your planning weekend next week :thumbsup2

oh wow! winning a trip in the 70's, i am loving the pictures and how much everything has changed over the years, you both look so cute :flower3:

How lovely that you can now share your special memories of your 1st trip together back in wdw. really looking forward to your trip report.

Wow Theresa that is brilliant, like Mandy says "rich people" went to Disney World in those days, I love your pictures, it must be so exciting for you all to go back together.. Still hoping we can get together at some point?

This is the most fascinating TR. I can't believe you even scanned the pics so we could see! Where did you stay when you went in '75? What were your highlights from that first trip? I bet you were the talk of the town when you came back. Darn, I just made Birdseye steamfresh veg half an hour ago and no tickets came tumbling out of mine :lmao:

I would love to hear more about the first and the upcoming trips. Are you and Mandy going to try and get some photos taken in the same places you did when you first went (well those places that are still there/recognisable)? I do hope there is more to come. :banana:

EDIT: I just saw the Royal Plaza 75 in your signature, so ignore that question.

Yes, we're hoping to re-create some of the photos. Though we don't actually have very many photos. Nothing like the amount we take these days! I'll insert some more old ones in the report as I go along.
I'm not sure if the Royal Plaza is still there. Probably not, at least not under the same name anyway. I might try googling it in a minute.

Great pre-trip report Theresa. I loved all your photos from 1975, those were the days when people were rich to visit DisneyWorld, so you were so lucky to win a trip ::yes::

I look forward to seeing your plans, and hopefully our paths will cross when we're out there (we're finalising our plans at the moment too) :)

Enjoy your planning weekend next week :thumbsup2

Yes, we were incredibly lucky, Mandy. A holiday like that would have been totally out of the question for us. It really was a dream come true.

oh wow! winning a trip in the 70's, i am loving the pictures and how much everything has changed over the years, you both look so cute :flower3:

How lovely that you can now share your special memories of your 1st trip together back in wdw. really looking forward to your trip report.

Thanks, Andrea.

Wow Theresa that is brilliant, like Mandy says "rich people" went to Disney World in those days, I love your pictures, it must be so exciting for you all to go back together.. Still hoping we can get together at some point?

Yes, I hope we can all meet up too. I have a list of cocktails I need to try!

What a great report , that is so amazing your first trip to Disney was in the 70's, it's great you are finally returning together :)

wow..what a great story.

I think you and your sis should get some matching t shirts and recreate some of the poses!

How lucky were you guys winning a trip to Disney in the 70s. Fantastic photos, you must have all been so excited.

What a great trip you have planned and so nice to be able to do it all again with your sister. :goodvibes

Off to buy up all the Birds Eye frozen food just incase :rotfl2:

great report, really looking forward to this :goodvibes

Theresa, thanks for the heads up - I'm so glad I popped on to read this. We had a real giggle at the pictures from way back when. I must admit, I think Mandy looks now very much like your Mum did then :)

I hope you all have a wonderful trip, you deserve it. Don't forget to get that Disney cruise booked before you go ;)

Loving the 1975 photos! How amazing that you won a trip!

Have a fab time. :banana:

Theresa,
Yours is without a doubt the most charming pre-trip report I've ever read. There's the mark of destiny on this return trip for you and Mandy--it's just Tony, Peter, and the boys' good luck to be included.

I know there's a policy against advertising on the DIS board and I'm hoping sending this link isn't a violation of that policy, but there is a business here in Oklahoma that makes lenticular pictures from people's photos and I want you to know about it because I can't imagine a better subject for a lenticular portrait than you and Mandy at Walt Disney World then and you and Mandy at Walt Disney World now. There may be studios in the UK that make lenticular photos, but if not I'll help you get one made if you're interested. Take a look at the YouTube video on the site to get an idea of how they work. I don't see my favorite here, one of a dad holding his baby girl in the air and kissing her superimposed on the same pair twenty-something years later with the girl in her wedding dress kissing her dad. http://www.thenandnowdoubletakes.com

Have lots of fun and make new memories. Hugs, Susan

Thats a great story, it must of been fab to go so many years ago.
Great that youre finally going together after all these years. :goodvibes
great pre trip :)

Theresa I know you have told us about your amazing first trip to WDW before, but to see the photos of you and your family from back then really completes the picture.

I hope you all have the most amazing time. I know you and Tony have had a hard time of it this last year, so I really hope that this holiday is the start of a better time for you both.

Can't wait to read all about it on your return

Tam

Thanks for your kind words, everyone.
wow..what a great story.

I think you and your sis should get some matching t shirts and recreate some of the poses!

I love that idea!

Theresa, thanks for the heads up - I'm so glad I popped on to read this. We had a real giggle at the pictures from way back when. I must admit, I think Mandy looks now very much like your Mum did then :)

I hope you all have a wonderful trip, you deserve it. Don't forget to get that Disney cruise booked before you go ;)

Lol, Joh. We're definitely considering that cruise..

Theresa,
Yours is without a doubt the most charming pre-trip report I've ever read. There's the mark of destiny on this return trip for you and Mandy--it's just Tony, Peter, and the boys' good luck to be included.

I know there's a policy against advertising on the DIS board and I'm hoping sending this link isn't a violation of that policy, but there is a business here in Oklahoma that makes lenticular pictures from people's photos and I want you to know about it because I can't imagine a better subject for a lenticular portrait than you and Mandy at Walt Disney World then and you and Mandy at Walt Disney World now. There may be studios in the UK that make lenticular photos, but if not I'll help you get one made if you're interested. Take a look at the YouTube video on the site to get an idea of how they work. I don't see my favorite here, one of a dad holding his baby girl in the air and kissing her superimposed on the same pair twenty-something years later with the girl in her wedding dress kissing her dad. http://www.thenandnowdoubletakes.com

Have lots of fun and make new memories. Hugs, Susan

What a lovely idea, Susan. I'll have a look to see if there's anything similar here.

I'll never tire of seeing these photos, I'm sure. Of course, I've seen photos of WDW dating back to 1975 before, but never depicting people I know! Doesn't Mickey look odd? I'm surprised no-one's taken up the cudgels with regards to where the pig photo was taken. :scratchin

Yes, Mickey was definitely different back then. I was sure someone would know where the pig photo was taken, but no luck so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter