$19 motels

Buschfan

Mouseketeer
Last weekend I noticed many of the non-chain motels on 192 advertising a $19 rate on their signs. Is this normal for this time of year? Seems a little low even during the slow season. Just wondering if this is something usual for this time of year or a response to the reduced amount of visitors I keep reading about.

I've commented numerous times before on this board about "cheap" hotels, but will refrain from doing that here only to offer an opinion. I would imagine that this is a very slow time for Orlando. Scholl in in full swing and summer vacations are all but over. So I would think these "signs" may be there to attract those few who are travelling through Orlando and have not made any hotel reservations. You should see things pick up again just around Columbus Day (mid October) and the end of November.

Ok... so I can't resist. I would imagine the "$19" hotels are the ones that usually charge about $39 a night, which in that case, I would NOT chance staying there anyway. I suppose if I were driving back to NY from Key West and this is as far as I could get before needing to sleep (highly unlikely), I'd check out the room first and plunk down the 19 bucks for a night's rest

I would beward of any NON-CHAIN, Mom and Pop type places near WDW or Universal, they tend to be pretty cheap run down places and not as well maintained as the chain hotels. You can find a good rate of under $40 a night at a lot of good hotel chains right now, not the Ritz but a step above the el cheapo motels..IMHO

I think if you look closely you see something like XP or XXp or single only, and they will add 6 to 8 bucks per extra person....and who goes to Disney alone....not many of us....good luck..Ted

I've read a number of articles in recent months about how the independent "Mom and Pop" type motels are really struggling. The national chains have cut their rates so much post 9-11, that the little guys are virtually being put out of business. Why would anyone stay at Joe's motel for $19 when you can stay next door at the Comfort in for $29?

Steve

I've stayed at decent motels on 192 for $30 a few times, and got Courtyard Marriott DTD for $22 once (but that was Priceline). It's just risky. You can always ask to see a room before you commit, but I think that's mostly for people like me who do impromptu short trips. I would hate to travel far and plan on staying a week without first having reservations. Could be bad.

I did one of these cheap motels on I-192 once. They tend to cluster around the 535 intersection around the Super Wal-Mart. I tried the Continental Motel for $25 a night (extera person was $6). I was the only one in the room. I have nothing really good to say about the place. The office smelled like Indian food. The rooms had super thin doors and there was some sort of dust that left a bad taste in my mouth. The bathrooms had no towels! How can you have a shower without towels? There was a fridge in the room, but it smelled bad.

The moral is you do get what you pay for. I'd rather do Priceline and try for a $20/night room. The $20 room made it look like the Portifino compared to the Continental Motel!

We just spent 6 nights at the Rodeway on 192 booked thru Dreams for $27.00 a night for a deluxe room . We got upgraded to a full kitchen at no extracharge . The room was very clean ,Service very friendly and helpful . 2 minor problems were taken care of very fast. Free muffins, juice and coffee for Breakfast.Andfree shuttle to the parks . I would highly recommend them .

I personally wouldn't stay at one of these places either. I only stay at places I have booked through Priceline as the quality is much better as Barry mentioned. I just thought it was interesting the prices seemed to be all the same. The extra-person charges were always in small print which seemed to make the places even sleezier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter