18% tip at buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rance

DIS Veteran
Does anyone else think a mandatory tip of 18% is a bit excessive for a buffet.
We were a party of 6 eating at tusker, ohana s breakfast and 1900 park fare. $36 tip at a buffet seemed a bit crazy since all they did was fill a coffee and clear some dishes while we serve ourselves.
I am all for tipping that amount at a TS but not a buffet. I also noticed that with the mandatory 18% tip the service was not good at all.
Just venting I guess.

I do agree that tipping is something extra given in exchange for good service. I do believe in tipping. $36 is excessive for a self service buffet, although some sort of tip should be left for good service (keeping your glass filled). The tip was mandatory? Was it because of the size of your group, or is it mandatory for all parties large and small?

I agree that the mandatory tip usually does not improve the quality of the service provided. Also, 18% tip on an expensive buffet is particularly excessive. Figure $50/person x 6 people = $300, for which 18% tip means $54.

Auto-gratuity of 15-18% on parties of 6 or more is pretty standard at many restaurants, in or out of Disney World. It's not a big secret. You know that going in.

O'hana breakfast isn't what I would really consider a buffet...it's more "family style". I get what you're saying in that the server doesn't take individual orders at the table, but they do at least bring you everything you need rather than get up and get it yourself.

I was thinking the same thing. We're a party of 7 and are paying out of pocket for Crystal Palace breakfast (we only have QS dining). I had to call to change the reservation because the online system wouldn't let me for some reason, and the very nice CM informed me there would be a mandatory 18% gratuity. Like the previous poster said 7*$30*0.18 = $37.80 for a buffet breakfast.

If you think about it though, the server probably does more at a buffet. Yeah, they don't take your order (per say, still get drinks) or deliver food, but they probably work harder than most normal servers. Most people, my family included, go back multiple times, meaning many more dishes to clear than if you just sat down and ordered dinner. Don't know, all in all they probably do the same amount of work for you.

Auto-gratuity of 15-18% on parties of 6 or more is pretty standard at many restaurants, in or out of Disney World. It's not a big secret. You know that going in.

O'hana breakfast isn't what I would really consider a buffet...it's more "family style". I get what you're saying in that the server doesn't take individual orders at the table, but they do at least bring you everything you need rather than get up and get it yourself.
Agreed, but an auto 18% on a buffet is a whole lot different than an auto 18% in a restaurant where a server actually provides service.

If you think about it though, the server probably does more at a buffet. Yeah, they don't take your order (per say, still get drinks) or deliver food, but they probably work harder than most normal servers. Most people, my family included, go back multiple times, meaning many more dishes to clear than if you just sat down and ordered dinner. Don't know, all in all they probably do the same amount of work for you.
This. Buffet servers sometimes work harder than normal servers since they clear dishes again and again and again. So they don't take your meal order. Big whoop. They deserve the 18% tip the OP and her family of 6 knew about when she booked the ADR.

It's really quite simple. The autogratuity policy is not a secret. If you don't agree with it, eat CS. Problem solved. I agree with some of the other posters- these servers often work much harder, having to clear several series of plates per guest compared to what they have to do at an a la carte restaurant. And without the mandatory tip, they'd probably end up getting stiffed more often than not. As is apparent from some of the replies here.

I expect the mods will close and delete this thread soon. I'm amazed its lasted this long.

I don't penny pinch with service personnel.

ETA: But I understand where the OP is coming from. Disney's prices are excessive, so 18% of those prices is excessive. But tips are on a percentage basis rather than a "what-it's-worth-to-me" basis everywhere. Also, servers work hard and are probably just scraping by. Most of them probably could not afford a Disney vacation. Plus the difference between the 15% you'd like to pay and the 18% they charge is only a few dollars. The inclusion of tips for large parties is precisely because such parties might balk at a normal-percentage tip and end up undertipping.

Last edited:
This. Buffet servers sometimes work harder than normal servers since they clear dishes again and again and again. So they don't take your meal order. Big whoop. They deserve the 18% tip the OP and her family of 6 knew about when she booked the ADR.
I usually tip 15% at buffets but I've never thought about it this way before. Very good point! Thank you:thumbsup2

I don't penny pinch with service personnel.

ETA: But I understand where the OP is coming from. Disney's prices are excessive, so 18% of those prices is excessive. But tips are on a percentage basis rather than a "what-it's-worth-to-me" basis everywhere. Also, servers work hard and are probably just scraping by. Most of them probably could not afford a Disney vacation. Plus the difference between the 15% you'd like to pay and the 18% they charge is only a few dollars. The inclusion of tips for large parties is precisely because such parties might balk at a normal-percentage tip and end up undertipping.

I just wanted to say, servers at WDW are not just scraping by! Several of my friends are servers at WDW, some in buffets, other in a la carte restaurants. They make crazy money! Don't get me wrong, they work long hours and it's hard work, but they do just fine.

I just wanted to say, servers at WDW are not just scraping by! Several of my friends are servers at WDW, some in buffets, other in a la carte restaurants. They make crazy money! Don't get me wrong, they work long hours and it's hard work, but they do just fine.

Good for them. Servers are very underappreciated most of the time. I worked my way through college waiting tables, and you deal with all makes and manners of people. Lots of very nice people, and a lot of jerks. It's an eye-opening experience, for sure.

If it's a character buffet, I usually take into consideration that a portion (maybe even a LARGE portion) of the expense is not for the food but for the character interaction. And for that reason I won't normally tip more than 10%.

Threads s loses, personal tipping habits are not a topic for discussion

There is a sticky thread at the top of the board for the mechanics of tipping and any questions

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter