13 yo dd

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by jeniamt, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mom4fun

mom4fun DIS Veteran

Now I am starting to worry. My son will be 12 and in 6th grade at the time of our cruise. He mostly just likes sports, so which club would be best for him, edge or lab?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

The Edge is for middle school aged kids, which is generally grades 6-8, and in some areas 9th grade as well. For every 11/12 yo whose parents are concerned about them being in the Edge, there is a parent of a 6-9 yo worried about their child being in the lab area with 11/12 yos.

Parents have the option to let their kids sign in/out of the lab starting at the age of 8.

4. racingfandj

racingfandj Mouseketeer

My niece had just turned 14 this summer when we went on the Fantasy. She loved the Vibe. Made a small group of friends that all hung together the whole cruise. She is mature for her age (life tends to do that to some) and knows that I watch everything like a hawk. She had charging privileges and only used it if she called/texted and asked first (speciality drink or snack at the movie).

From the stories I heard, it was good, clean, teenager fun.
    -- They would make a food run and bring back buffet to feed everyone; smoothie bar open regularly. One night they mixed all the leftovers into a smoothie and someone drank it. It wasn't forced, but probably some encouraging cheering going on.
    -- They had an active game the whole week that had some convoluted rules. Everyone had a "mark" and you didn't know who was after you. Something about getting your person out with either a paper spoon or some other way :confused3. She was loving it. It generated interaction between the kdis inside and out of the club.
    -- Also saw pics of them playing a version of The Dating Game. The CMs relayed the answers and the male "contestant" ended up picking a boy in a snow white dress. "Snow White" happened to be one of her new friends and can confirm he wasn't forced to do it and they all thought it was hilarious.

Everyone's tastes are different and every group of kids will be too. If any of those sound disturbing, I would recommend finding somewhere else for your kids to hang. :dance3:

5. disneymagicgirlsdd

disneymagicgirlsdd Earning My Ears

I'm 13 and had my bday on the cruise. Can't even explain my love for the Edge. It was the most fun I have ever had in my life -- not exaggerating a bit. The Edge is probably the best place to be, it's not kiddish and it's fun. I had one giant group of friends and we walked around the pool deck, ate french fries, devoured the ice cream, and hung out at Edge. i wouldn't even consider going to the vibe, even though I'll be old enough on our next cruise. Edge was amazing and whoever you send will enjoy it.

6. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

This is the point of the "overlap" ages--the kid and parents can decide where a kid fits best.

Any child at age 8 or older can have sign out IF the parents approve and sign the permission form.

7. DJinPA

DJinPA Earning My Ears

I agree that the "overlap" ages are a great idea.

Most of us who have kids in Middle School realize the range of maturity (or immaturity) throughout Middle School - or even within a grade. Some kids still won't talk to the opposite sex, while others seek out a girlfriend/boyfriend at any event. Some are exposed to different movies, video games, conversations and other less so . . . I think the Edge is just a microcosm of the bigger Middle School age - your child will find other kids they relate to and not really be concerned with those they don't relate to, just the way they probably do in school or any other group situation. If they can't find someone to relate to, they may want to see if they can move to the Lab or Vibe (if applicable and permitted) or just hang out with siblings, parents, etc. on the trip. I know we went on the Magic expecting our kids to be in fascinated with the Lab/Club. They liked it fine and it was a lot of fun when they were doing a certain project or we went to Palo, but hand's down, we were all amazed at how much fun we had all together!

8. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

Totally agree!:thumbsup2

AKK

9. PrincessMemoriesJeNN

PrincessMemoriesJeNN Love WDW

We sailed on The Dream last September and my 12 and a half year old son had a wonderful experience. He loved the late night dodgeball games, social get to know you games, the freedom he had with safe boundaries, and the friends that he met. He actually still texts/emails 2 of the kids from time to time. We felt very safe with him in the care of the staff and it was all good clean fun. He is by nature, a nervous kid, and it was wonderful to see him drop his guard and have fun. He actually teared up on the way home because "the whole experience was so good, with friends just like me, friends I really loved meeting who I may never see again." While we spent most of our days as a family, the time our kids had in their clubs made our vacation extra magical.