13 yo dd

jeniamt

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this has been addressed before but what is the deal with 13 yo's in the teen club? My dd wants to join her 16yo cousin in the teen club this Dec/Jan on the Dream. I'm confused if she is allowed.

Any help or insight is appreciated! Thanks!!

If your signature is accurate, your DD will have just turned 13. The Edge is for 11-14 yos so she will be almost a year away from the age range. If kids are within a couple months the sometimes allow the parent to sign a waiver allowing them to switch to the next club level.

You are correct, she turns 13 next week. She is in 8th grade and definitely identifies herself as a teenager. She won't want to be in the same club as her 6th grade little brother.

When we were on the Dream last month, the Edge was listed as 11-14, and the Vibe was listed as 14-17. The CM's in Edge had a list of all kids ages 10-14, and Vibe had a list of all kids onboard ages 13-17. If a parent signed a consent form, a 10yo was allowed in Edge, and 13yo in Vibe.

You are correct, she turns 13 next week. She is in 8th grade and definitely identifies herself as a teenager. She won't want to be in the same club as her 6th grade little brother.

I'll just point out that an 11 year old can be in either the Lab (goes through age 12) or Edge (11-14).

:cutie:

The programming is basically designed to duplicate middle school/junior high vs. high school groups. An 8th grader who is barely 13 is not a high schooler, regardless of how mature she thinks she is.

You are free to talk to the CMs, but do consider that there are thing that go on in and near the teen programming that my DD decided were inappropriate at 16/17. She opted to leave when this stuff started.

Personally, I wouldn't want my 8th grade 13 year old in with older high school students.

I'm sure this has been addressed before but what is the deal with 13 yo's in the teen club? My dd wants to join her 16yo cousin in the teen club this Dec/Jan on the Dream. I'm confused if she is allowed.

Any help or insight is appreciated! Thanks!!

DD can spend lots of time with the 16 yr old cousin on the ship, just not in the club. There are movies, swimming, sports, and more.

I would not put a just turned 13 yr old in that club - 17 year olds are far more mature and adult-like. I have had two DD's in there so I know...lol.

From the shenanigans the teens tell us about I wouldn't worry if she's not in that club! I'd hate my 13 year-old to be put in that kind of peer pressure environment. I know high school kids do it all but i'm going to hang on as long as possible! :goodvibes

Maybe your 6th grade son would prefer the lab? Then 13 year-old can have the edge for herself? :goodvibes
When our daughter was in edge earlier this year there were lots of older kids than her. And lots of the boys her age were in the lab.

I would not put a just turned 13 yr old in that club - 17 year olds are far more mature and adult-like. I have had two DD's in there so I know...lol.

This!:thumbsup2 Also consider that the 16 year old may not appreciate a 13 year old tag along. Per DD, the other kids are not kind to kids who are "too young" to be in the programming group. They just ignore the young ones, meaning that they have no one to talk to or hang with other than the relative/friend they are shadowing.

The 6th grade child can choose between Lab and Edge (Lab is thru age 12; Edge overlaps at 11-14.) The 6th grader in the Lab, 8th grader in the Edge, and high schooler in the Vibe works with each having their own special space.

Great so I have to discourage my 15 yr od boy from going in the teen club,So why are they supervised? can they come and go as they please?does this mean any drugs are involved I am freaking out now ,so will they let him in the 11-14 club He has a younger brother almost 13 that will be going there and maybe the lab ,although I think they will spend alot of time in the arcade ,by the way do the arcades take tokens? he is a good kid i just worry about the peer pressure and in a situation like that they want to fit in

Great so I have to discourage my 15 yr od boy from going in the teen club,So why are they supervised? can they come and go as they please?does this mean any drugs are involved I am freaking out now ,so will they let him in the 11-14 club He has a younger brother almost 13 that will be going there and maybe the lab ,although I think they will spend alot of time in the arcade ,by the way do the arcades take tokens? he is a good kid i just worry about the peer pressure and in a situation like that they want to fit in

In Edge and Vibe, they can come and go. I don't think anyone was talking about drugs being used in the clubs, just inappropriate behavior (pairing off and language). At 15 he wouldn't be allowed in Edge. the 12 year old can choose between Lab and Edge (no back and forth). The arcade has cards that you load using your KTTW card. Some parents turn off the charging priviliege on their respective kids KTTW card because they've had really expensive surprises show up on their onboard account. There have been reports of older kids in the arcade talking younger kids (with intact charging privileges) into reloading the older childs card.

:cutie:

They are supervised, but each family has a level of what they consider appropriate. No drugs or alcohol is permitted in the teen space--at least not if the CMs are aware of it. They MUST be able to come and go on their own to use the Vibe. What my DD had issues with amounted to "dirty dancing." Really dirty. She was very uncomfortable with the level of touching and suggestive moves that were allowed by the CMs. (yes, they all had their clothes on.) It amounted to "turn down the lights, turn up the music, and......" This was in the evenings.

The Arcade takes "arcade cards." These can be purchased and reloaded using any KTTW card that has charging attached. If your child doesn't have charging, YOU control the arcade card...you can put $10 on it and they have to come to you to reload. There are also times when the programming may choose to do "Invade the Arcade." During those times, all machines are set to free play.

I personally haven't heard of any drug issues. Just hanky panky! :blush:

I think we have to remember that these things go on everywhere. And we only hear reports from a very small group here on this forum. And also you only hear about it when there is a story to be told...no-one reports when they had no issues.

I personally haven't heard of any drug issues. Just hanky panky! :blush:

I think we have to remember that these things go on everywhere. And we only hear reports from a very small group here on this forum. And also you only hear about it when there is a story to be told...no-one reports when they had no issues.

Thank you all that makes me feel alittle better ,I am sure the kids do that at the dances at there schools ,or that is what i have been told ,Still does not make me happy but ,No drugs and drink makes me happy and thanks for the heads up ,they will not be able to charge to the room ,Not sure what parents are thinking when giving them free rain they have no idea what they are spending LOL I have a hard time keeping trak.:lmao:

Wow, thanks for the advise. I was just imaging her wanting to chill out with her cousin and not having to be bugged by her little brother. I didn't think about the Vibe turning into a Dirty Dancing Night Club! Yikes!! Think she will be sticking with The Edge!!

Personally, I wouldn't want my 8th grade 13 year old in with older high school students.

:thumbsupme neither! I am hoping we sail again before dd13 turns 14 so I can tell her she isn't old enough to move up to the vibe. She had a wonderful time in May in the edge and she turned 13 on that cruise. I'd just send her to the edge and be done with it, OP.

On our cruise on 11/3 we are not letting our DD11 go into the 11 to 14 club (edge?). I am not comfortable with her being in with 14 year olds. She just started 6th grade! She is fine with being in the lab with her younger sisters and brothers. It just seems to me that there is a huge difference between an 11 yo and a 14 yo on so many levels! I am glad to see that other parents have similar concerns to mine! :)

My family is also going on the 11/3 Magic Cruise. My daughter is 11 but I do not think she is even close to being mature enough to hang with the edge age group ( I am a school bus driver so I hear more than I want to). She will definitely being going to the lab where I think we will both be happier.......

I do have a question though.... Will she still be able to check herself in and out? If she finds a good group to hang out with I would like her to have that option.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter