13 year old with down syndrome, suggestions for overwhelming times?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by buckeyemom44, Sep 30, 2012.

1. buckeyemom44

buckeyemom44 Earning My Ears

My family and I are taking our very first trip in November so lets just say there's excitement in the air! We have two children a 13 year old princess and rock-n-roll loving girl with Down syndrome and a very adventurous & independent 3 year old boy. She tends to get a little overwhelmed around such excitement and whenever taken out of a normal routine so I was wondering if anyone could suggest some places in the parks to rest a little and restore the calm if need be. Thanks for the help

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Fort Bordeaux

Fort Bordeaux Earning My Ears

My son is ASD some rides that we hit up at MK when he is overwhelmed is the Carousel of Progress, the People Mover. There is a small area where people get off of Splash Mountain (behind the little kids playarea) that isn't usually busy we sometimes have a snack over there away from other people. Make sure you look into gettig a GAC

4. rewardsinlife

rewardsinlife Mouseketeer

First aid stations will let you hang out and rest on a table/ cot for up to an hr when you need to get away from it all.

5. Lisa71

Lisa71 Adoption Rocks!

I highly suggest the Passporter Open Mouse book. We used it for our son with CP and it has all kinds of places in each park to rest and take a break and ideas. It also ranks rides and resorts based in what your concerns are. LOVED IT. Cannot say enough about its little ideas.:cheer2:

6. LisaBi

LisaBi DIS Veteran

The only issue I have with my son is with overwhelming crowds. Like when he decides he is DONE for the day and we are trapped on the wrong side of the crowd during a parade. I just have to be aware of where we are and what time it is to avoid throngs of people. We only go during slow times of the year, avoid peak mealtimes, stay near the front of MK to watch fireworks, etc.

7. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

Another big fan of first aid here