13 Year old gir declared brain dead has now officially died

Jahi, meet Bobbi Kristina. Bobbi Kristina, meet Jahi.

BK is 1) alive2) was put in a medically induced coma

Jahi!s vessel is here,but she is not here,

Do you think BK's family will possibly take a trip to denialville if her brain stops?

The Jahi lawyer wants to get the secretary of state of Ca to reopen tbe case saying another dr is saying Jahi is alive.

"The California family that fought to keep their teenage daughter on life support after she was declared brain dead is suing her doctor and the hospital where she went into cardiac arrest for negligence and wrongful death -- if "it is determined" that the girl indeed succumbed to her injuries."

The family is the one that says she is still alive, but yet they want to sue for wrongful death the day before Statute of Limitations runs out?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/family...-sues-hospital/story?id=29363442&cid=fb_wn_sf

"The California family that fought to keep their teenage daughter on life support after she was declared brain dead is suing her doctor and the hospital where she went into cardiac arrest for negligence and wrongful death -- if "it is determined" that the girl indeed succumbed to her injuries."

The family is the one that says she is still alive, but yet they want to sue for wrongful death the day before Statute of Limitations runs out?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/family-california-teen-declared-brain-dead-sues-hospital/story?id=29363442&cid=fb_wn_sf

Wow. But I can't say I'm shocked.

I read somewhere that the Jahi family wants to sue the hospital so they can pay for all her care. There is a cap of 250,000 on the death of a child during surgery. If the courts declare Jahi alive then the attorney can pursue more $$ for medical care.

I read somewhere that the Jahi family wants to sue the hospital so they can pay for all her care. There is a cap of 250,000 on the death of a child during surgery. If the courts declare Jahi alive then the attorney can pursue more $$ for medical care.

I'm trying to recall the details, but didn't they issue a death certificate on her already? How can they sue for care of a dead body?

I'm guessing that before the case could proceed, they would have to establish whether the patient is actually dead or not. This could be the time that Jahi's family has to put up or shut up about her condition.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/family...-sues-hospital/story?id=29363442&cid=fb_wn_sf
Well, isn't that...convenient.

There is a death certificate for her. That's why they could not move her to another conventional hospital. The official medical community cannot treat a dead body.

Thanks JanaDee. I just read your comment in the voice of The Church Lady from SNL.

I think that in order to have their day in court, they should have to provide receipts for these services that show that they, the parents, paid for these services.

There is a death certificate for her. That's why they could not move her to another conventional hospital. The official medical community cannot treat a dead body.

Thanks JanaDee. I just read your comment in the voice of The Church Lady from SNL.

They moved the body to New Jersey. NJ has an exception in their law that allows for religious objections to death determinations. Supposedly the body was at a hospital for a period of time, but perhaps they ran out of funds.

Familyoffive. Good point. If that were the case, I don't think they could be reimbursed for "expenses paid" when they were paid by donated funds. Just doesn't make sense to me. I think they could only sue for future expenses, but then to receive that settlement, the court would have to override the death certificate. And, for the family to sue for wrongful death, they would have to admit she's dead and give up the cash cow. They can't have it both ways. Gotta give momma credit for trying.

:p

Familyoffive. Good point. If that were the case, I don't think they could be reimbursed for "expenses paid" when they were paid by donated funds. Just doesn't make sense to me. I think they could only sue for future expenses, but then to receive that settlement, the court would have to override the death certificate. And, for the family to sue for wrongful death, they would have to admit she's dead and give up the cash cow. They can't have it both ways. Gotta give momma credit for trying.

I think they're trying to get it both ways if they can. Certainly a wrongful death malpractice claim is pretty easy and I think the hospital would probably want to settle it quickly just to make it go away. She is legally dead, and for the most part they're just preserving a dead body like Lenin or Ho Chi Minh - albeit not embalmed yet.

However, California has a malpractice cap of $250,000. Their lawyer (who claims he has been working pro bono for them) was one of the biggest proponents of a ballot proposition that would have raised the limit, which hasn't been adjusted for inflation since it was enacted. If they can somehow get the death declaration overturned, there's no limit on damages for future care. I've heard of one case with Children's Hospital Oakland where someone came out of a surgery in a coma. He's not brain dead but requires round the clock care to keep the body working. The family received something like a $4 million settlement that went into a trust fund for his care. Settlements and trial awards are always in lump sums, so they have to estimate the cost of future care.

The cynic in me thinks that the family is looking to cash out with a settlement or trial for future care, and perhaps pull the plug eventually.

Sadly, the saga continues, the plot thickens and could it be the $$$$$$ are being visualized as far as a publishing deal????

That article is behind a pay wall, and it was purely an opinion piece. However, the author gave a longer version to be posted in a blog:

http://www.docbastard.net/2015/08/thoughts-on-brain-death.html

The short answer to your question is no. I don’t think the girl has recovered from brain death, not in the classical sense we think of when we talk about recovery from neurologic insult. But Fate has presented us with a more complex question, which could even be looked at as an opportunity to better understand this area.

However, I'm still highly skeptical because they haven't gotten anyone credible to examine the body. As it stands now, she's still legally dead. This retired doctor seems to be more interested in the classification of what death is rather than really forming an opinion on whether or not Jahi McMath is still alive. Even this doctor says that he would have recommended pulling her off the respirator.

That article is behind a pay wall, and it was purely an opinion piece. However, the author gave a longer version to be posted in a blog:

http://www.docbastard.net/2015/08/thoughts-on-brain-death.html

The short answer to your question is no. I don’t think the girl has recovered from brain death, not in the classical sense we think of when we talk about recovery from neurologic insult. But Fate has presented us with a more complex question, which could even be looked at as an opportunity to better understand this area.

However, I'm still highly skeptical because they haven't gotten anyone credible to examine the body. As it stands now, she's still legally dead. This retired doctor seems to be more interested in the classification of what death is rather than really forming an opinion on whether or not Jahi McMath is still alive. Even this doctor says that he would have recommended pulling her off the respirator.
I'm not saying she's alive, that's why I put it in quotes.

I was just responding to DisneyFan32WI's comment about no updates. I did say it wasn't really an update, but it would seem to indicate that she's still (don't know how to say it) being "maintained", at least in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter