13 Days of Disney - Everything We Never Knew We Always Wanted - June 2016 TR Update 1/30

Day 3 – June 8: Epcot, part 1

We got up early again this morning because we had a pre-park opening reservation at Garden Grill. Of course, being at BCV made getting there early much easier, as we didn’t have to factor in travel time. However, we hit a snag almost immediately. We walked toward the International Gateway entrance of Epcot and once we got past the bridge that leads toward the Boardwalk, we were greeted by this:

20160608_074230.jpg

We couldn’t actually get down to the IG entrance to line up to be let inside. There were a few other groups also waiting. We’ve never come from the IG before, so I’m not sure if this was normal, but from the reactions of some of the other people waiting, I’m going to guess it wasn’t. One couple actually had a photography appointment scheduled and were supposed to be in the park by 7:40. I’d heard that they start letting people in for PPO breakfasts at the front gate at about 7:45. It wasn’t until around that time that we were able to get someone’s attention and have them come open the gate. We excitedly made our way up toward the entrance – back on track!

Except, not so fast. They held us there and told us they had to receive a call from the front gate in order to let us in. They even gave us a little speech about how we wouldn’t be penalized for being late to our breakfast reservations. I wasn’t worried about being penalized – I was worried about being behind the front gate crowd! We booked the reservation hoping to be able to not only have breakfast and meet the characters, but be able to ride Soarin’ with a minimal wait as well. I didn’t have a FP for it and I had seen pictures of the crazy lines right after RD. I know all having a breakfast reservation guarantees is having breakfast, but come on – they’re in the same building!

A few minutes before 8:00 we were finally let in. I have never walked so fast in my life, and on a bum toe no less. However, I still managed to snap a couple of empty World Showcase pics along the way because of course!

20160608_075319.jpg

20160608_075320.jpg

We showed up to GG and there were already several people there. We were given a pager and told to have a seat while we waited. I began to feel a little discouraged at this point, figuring we may have a bit of a wait, which would likely kill the Soarin’ plan. However, the pager went off within a couple of minutes and we were seated. We got an upper level table and I’d kind of been hoping for the bottom level, but it wasn’t that big of a deal.

This was our first time eating at GG and I must say we loved it! I have no pristine food pics, as we dove in the second it arrived. I had been dying to try the sticky bun skillet and it did not disappoint! You can see how much is left of it in the first pic and this is about 5 minutes after we had sat down.

20160608_082550.jpg

Alex wanted to be sure I got a picture of the Mickey waffle. Please excuse the mouth full of food! :p

20160608_082709.jpg

Not long after we sat down we had the pleasure of being visited by our first character – the big cheese himself!

20160608_080731.jpg

The trip hasn’t truly begun until we get some face time with Mickey. Next up was Pluto, one of Cora’s favorites. This time she has the mouth full of food!

20160608_081244.jpg

Pluto was a lot of fun. Here they are scratching his nose.

We met Chip and Dale in between more stuffing ourselves with as much as we could stomach. Dale danced with the kids and was quite silly.

20160608_082154.jpg

20160608_082604.jpg

20160608_082221_1.jpg

When we first sat down, our server asked if we had FP scheduled for Soarin’ that day. I told her we didn’t and she asked if we were interested in trying to get to it before the rope drop crowd arrived. I enthusiastically told her yes and she said she’d go ahead and bring our check and try to get our stuff to us as quickly as she could so we could make a break for it whenever we were ready. She was great and really on top of things! We got to see all the characters, ate as much as we wanted, and didn’t feel like we had to rush through our food (we are naturally fast eaters, though). We got up and were headed down to Soarin’ by about 8:40. This is what we saw when we got there.

20160608_083221.jpg

20160608_083238.jpg

No one in line yet! Not even from the breakfast! The CM’s commented on what an achievement it was to be first for Soarin’, and encouraged us to take photos and videos of the empty queue, as so few people ever see it that way.

It’s blurry because they’re dancing.

20160608_083344.jpg

A CM walked us through the empty queue to the loading area, which looked like this.

20160608_084651.jpg

There was one other family of 2, also from Garden Grill, who showed up in time to share our flight. We were placed in B1 for optimal viewing, and had the entire row to ourselves, as the other people elected to fly in B2 since they liked the height better and knew they would not have to worry about dangling feet this time. So we rode Soarin’ with a total of 6 people on our flight, including us. It was a great way to say goodbye to the old version of Soarin’, as we all loved that ride, especially Alex. As we made our way out of the pavilion, we saw all the people streaming in as wait times were already building. When we got to the exit doors for The Land, we noticed that someone had drawn a Mickey in the condensation.

20160608_085847.jpg

It felt like it was going to be a good day.

To be continued!

We had a PPO at Garden Grill this trip, too, and loved it. It was also our first time eating there but it won't be our last. We weren't in a rush and exited the restaurant as the masses were entering. We had about a 10 min. wait for Soarin.

Love the Mickey on the door!

We had a PPO at Garden Grill this trip, too, and loved it. It was also our first time eating there but it won't be our last. We weren't in a rush and exited the restaurant as the masses were entering. We had about a 10 min. wait for Soarin.

Love the Mickey on the door!

I heard that waits for Soarin' got better once they opened the new version and started running all 3 theaters. At this time they were only running 2 screens and the daily run of people looking for one last ride on the old version was still happening. From your 10 min wait time it would seem that that is true! We had that experience with Toy Story because of the new 3rd track. I'm glad you enjoyed GG and got to ride with a short wait as well! Mickey on the wall is a great way to start the day! ;)

Hmm. We stay at BCV and I don't recall ever having to wait to get through the International Gateway entrance. I wonder if it has to do with the new Frozen ride.....

Loving this TR so far! Your kids are adorable. There is nothing quite like seeing the look on a kid's face when they are in WDW, I know that is my favorite part of my vacations with my 3.

Great update! Ugh, you are really testing my decision to skip the PPO ADR. I think I've mentioned we can just split FPs bc we have to do rider swap, but to be able to ride it like that....that would totally rock. I'll probably be vilified for this but I'm fairly certain I'll book a PPO and a later one until we decide what we want to do.

What time did you guys get up to make it there? Of course, if we are at VWL or SSR we'll have to drive or bus it. I was planning to drive everywhere but MK but DH says he'd prefer the bus. Of course, he hasn't gone since he was a kid but I guess if that's his preference, okay, we'll do it then...lol.

Love the photos from the meal. I'm so looking forward to GG this next trip!

Looking forward to more!

I'm enjoying your report so much! The yacht and beach club is my favourite resort and the beach club villas look incredible! I love being in the epcot resort area, it's a beautiful location and so convenient too! We're doin Garden Grill for breakfast in a few weeks and I'm so excited! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to read more!

When we first sat down, our server asked if we had FP scheduled for Soarin’ that day. I told her we didn’t and she asked if we were interested in trying to get to it before the rope drop crowd arrived. I enthusiastically told her yes and she said she’d go ahead and bring our check and try to get our stuff to us as quickly as she could so we could make a break for it whenever we were ready.
What a great CM ::yes::

No one in line yet! Not even from the breakfast! The CM’s commented on what an achievement it was to be first for Soarin’, and encouraged us to take photos and videos of the empty queue, as so few people ever see it that way.
WHAT?! This is incredible :thumbsup2

It felt like it was going to be a good day.
What a start! :banana:

I'm here! Great report so far!

How lucky were you to get on Soarin' first even though you were short on time? Kudos!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report :)

Hmm. We stay at BCV and I don't recall ever having to wait to get through the International Gateway entrance. I wonder if it has to do with the new Frozen ride.....
Same here, in our 4 stays at BWV I've never seen the gate shut like that or had to wait at IG. Of course I think the earliest we've tried to get in was like 8:30ish, because when we did GG breakfast last Nov. it was at 10:30 not PPO. I'll bet it does have to do with FEA......

But it's good to know since our GG breakfast for this year is at 8am! And just like you were I'm hoping to get to Soarin' before the RD crowd, even though the waits haven't been bad lately. I want to FP TT as our tier 1 one day and FEA the other - at least that's my plan right now :)

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast, we loved it! And nice touch that the CM gave you your check early without you asking.

This was actually a couple of weeks before the frozen ride even opened. I think somebody just goofed up that morning and forgot to open the gate. It would be just our luck! ;)

Loving this TR so far! Your kids are adorable. There is nothing quite like seeing the look on a kid's face when they are in WDW, I know that is my favorite part of my vacations with my 3.

Thank you! It really is special, isn't it? That's what we tell people when they ask us why we keep going back to WDW - for the looks on our kids' faces. Of course we adults have a pretty good time too!

Great update! Ugh, you are really testing my decision to skip the PPO ADR. I think I've mentioned we can just split FPs bc we have to do rider swap, but to be able to ride it like that....that would totally rock. I'll probably be vilified for this but I'm fairly certain I'll book a PPO and a later one until we decide what we want to do.

What time did you guys get up to make it there? Of course, if we are at VWL or SSR we'll have to drive or bus it. I was planning to drive everywhere but MK but DH says he'd prefer the bus. Of course, he hasn't gone since he was a kid but I guess if that's his preference, okay, we'll do it then...lol.

Love the photos from the meal. I'm so looking forward to GG this next trip!

Looking forward to more!

I did the exact same thing! I had a PPO and a 10:25 for the same day until I figured out our plans. It didn't help that I didn't even know if Soarin' would be open until just a little before the trip.

I think we got up around 7:00. We'd all had showers the night before, so just needed to do teeth brushing/clothes/hair in the morning. When we've done PPO while not staying right outside the park gate we've gotten up around 6:40 or so. I am with your DH for MK, but I would drive to every other park. It's so much faster!

And thank you! We really enjoyed GG. I'm pretty sure we'll be returning next time.

I'm enjoying your report so much! The yacht and beach club is my favourite resort and the beach club villas look incredible! I love being in the epcot resort area, it's a beautiful location and so convenient too! We're doin Garden Grill for breakfast in a few weeks and I'm so excited! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to read more!

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it! We fell in love with the Epcot resort area. We'd planned to try a new resort on our next trip but I don't know if we'll be able to tear ourselves away from BCV! I hope you end up enjoying your GG meal as much as we did. Thanks for reading!

What a great CM ::yes::

WHAT?! This is incredible :thumbsup2
What a start! :banana:

It really was a great start! Perfect coming together of various factors, topped off by a Mickey. :)

I'm here! Great report so far!

How lucky were you to get on Soarin' first even though you were short on time? Kudos!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report :)

Glad you're here! Thank you! We were so surprised when we walked down to Soarin' and realized we were the first ones there. That experience will be hard to top in the future.

Loving your report - what time was your GG reservation for?

Thanks! We had an 8:10, but showed up with the first breakfast folks, as they let everyone in at the same time and just seat in the order you arrive.

Great report so far! We also love GG.

Thank you! It has become a new favorite of ours. I'm wanting to try the dinner at some point.

Same here, in our 4 stays at BWV I've never seen the gate shut like that or had to wait at IG. Of course I think the earliest we've tried to get in was like 8:30ish, because when we did GG breakfast last Nov. it was at 10:30 not PPO. I'll bet it does have to do with FEA......

But it's good to know since our GG breakfast for this year is at 8am! And just like you were I'm hoping to get to Soarin' before the RD crowd, even though the waits haven't been bad lately. I want to FP TT as our tier 1 one day and FEA the other - at least that's my plan right now :)

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast, we loved it! And nice touch that the CM gave you your check early without you asking.

I really do think they just messed up, as FEA was still a while away from opening. However, please report back after your trip, as I'd like to know if this actually is standard procedure so we can plan around it.

I have the same FP plan for next year, so we'll probably be trying for Soarin' again the same way as well! I doubt we'll have the same outcome, but it will nice to be able to get on with a short wait.

The CM was wonderful! I was kicking myself for not remembering her name.

It really was a great start! Perfect coming together of various factors, topped off by a Mickey. :)

Glad you're here! Thank you! We were so surprised when we walked down to Soarin' and realized we were the first ones there. That experience will be hard to top in the future.

Thanks! We had an 8:10, but showed up with the first breakfast folks, as they let everyone in at the same time and just seat in the order you arrive.

would we be able to go in that early if we had an 8:40 reservation?

would we be able to go in that early if we had an 8:40 reservation?

I don't know from personal experience, as we've only ever had 8:00, 8:05, or 8:10. However, I've heard that they let anyone with an ADR before 9:00 in as soon as they start admitting PPO breakfast people.

Yep, anyone that has a PPO ADR can go in before the park opens.

Great report! I will be following along. We are staying at the Beach Club for the first time in 3 weeks but on the nondvc side. I am also curious how the whole entering through the IG for Epcot is going to work. Is it more of a disadvantage than an advantage? Also I assumed we would take the Friendship boat in the morning for HS. And I would like to be there early like you were. Do the boats start pretty early? Thanks for your help.

Great report! I will be following along. We are staying at the Beach Club for the first time in 3 weeks but on the nondvc side. I am also curious how the whole entering through the IG for Epcot is going to work. Is it more of a disadvantage than an advantage? Also I assumed we would take the Friendship boat in the morning for HS. And I would like to be there early like you were. Do the boats start pretty early? Thanks for your help.

Thank you and thanks for following along! I am excited for you getting to stay at BC in just 3 weeks! I would love to try the non DVC side some time. We actually drove over in the morning because we wanted to make sure we were there early, so I'm not sure what time the boats start. Seems like we've got some other BC vets around, so maybe someone else knows? If not, the folks on the BC thread over on the resorts forum are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, so I would totally ask them! If you and your group are up for it, you could always walk over in the am, then boat back. Would probably be a nice walk in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter