13.1 Before I Hit 40 - Running my 1st 1/2 Marathon at Disney uptd 09/30

Okay. I like your options, you've got some good choices there.

I say go with your gut. And don't worry about wearing a poofy dress around. Trust me, I've worn one, and it's more the long sleeves that make it hot than the actual length of the dress.

Obviously, my favorite would be the red head, just because it's pirates and sounds like so much fun, but I am rather partial to that Cindy dress too. I think you should just pack the Candace outfit as your backup, and then pick between the other two. As long as you have a backup in case it's super hot, or raining (EEK, NO RAIN!!!!) you'll be fine.

I was thinking of you when I took the dress home. You and your heels at the party. :)

I really would love to do the redhead, because it's different. That one will need to be made though so we'll have to see. I found a few patterns that might work with some adaptions, but I'm thinking of trying to find someone on Etsy who would just make it for me and save me the aggravation.

I actually came up with another idea for a back up costume. I like the Candace idea, but was worried about it being recognizable by itself. I already have the shirt for my other idea so it would be another really easy plan. I'll be posting pics of it later once I can snap some pictures.

Just dropping in to say hi! I hope you had a good weekend. :)

I did. Busy, but good. Now I just have to battle the back to work blahs.

I definitely think the Cinderella poofy dress is absolutely YOU!! YOu would look ravishing in it, and I don't think it will be too hot to really wear.

Again, you could go with 2 choices and go with what suits the weather (and your mood) best on the day of.

I love the Cindy dress. It's the dress I would have loved to wear to my own prom had I actually gone to it. I just love me a princess dress.

I'm leaning towards the Redhead right now, and wearing the Cindy dress when I celebrate halloween with my nieces, but if money is still really tight this summer when I have to make a decision I'll just go with the Cindy dress. I will have to spring for it to be cut down a bit.

I'm definitely going to plan a back up costume as well. If it's pouring I don't want to be stuck in a long dress.

I was thinking of you when I took the dress home. You and your heels at the party. :)

I am a girly girl. :lmao:

I really would love to do the redhead, because it's different. That one will need to be made though so we'll have to see. I found a few patterns that might work with some adaptions, but I'm thinking of trying to find someone on Etsy who would just make it for me and save me the aggravation.

You might not want to go through the trouble of making, so I can understand trying to find someone to do so. My Elizabeth dress was something that was made for me by a woman on Ebay, and that can be so worth the cost.

I actually came up with another idea for a back up costume. I like the Candace idea, but was worried about it being recognizable by itself. I already have the shirt for my other idea so it would be another really easy plan. I'll be posting pics of it later once I can snap some pictures.

I can't wait to see what it is!

I am a girly girl. :lmao:

Did you find it difficult to do any rides with the dress on out of curiousity? We don't usually do alot of them at the parties, but we usually make a point of hitting the Fantasyland stuff, HM and ending the night with Pirates. I think I can handle it with the dress, but was curious from someone who had done it before.

You might not want to go through the trouble of making, so I can understand trying to find someone to do so. My Elizabeth dress was something that was made for me by a woman on Ebay, and that can be so worth the cost.

When I was searching for ideas I saw a place that made a great Elizabeth costume. I'm thinking that the cost will be well worth it. My sewing skills aren't all that great, and peace of mind may be well worth it.

I can't wait to see what it is!

It's not all that exciting really, but it's something I can do with what I already own and it would be cool.

Did you find it difficult to do any rides with the dress on out of curiousity? We don't usually do alot of them at the parties, but we usually make a point of hitting the Fantasyland stuff, HM and ending the night with Pirates. I think I can handle it with the dress, but was curious from someone who had done it before.

I have to be totally honest with you. I don't remember going on rides wearing that dress. I'm sure I must have, I'm sure I've gone on Pirates, and if I can step into that boat and have it not be an issue, then you'll probably be fine. When we go to parties (with the exception of last year we did a bit more rides), I am more about the special parade, fireworks, trick or treating, and meet and greets than actual rides. This is just my personal preference.

When I was searching for ideas I saw a place that made a great Elizabeth costume. I'm thinking that the cost will be well worth it. My sewing skills aren't all that great, and peace of mind may be well worth it.

:thumbsup2

It's not all that exciting really, but it's something I can do with what I already own and it would be cool.

I'm still excited. :goodvibes

I have to be totally honest with you. I don't remember going on rides wearing that dress. I'm sure I must have, I'm sure I've gone on Pirates, and if I can step into that boat and have it not be an issue, then you'll probably be fine. When we go to parties (with the exception of last year we did a bit more rides), I am more about the special parade, fireworks, trick or treating, and meet and greets than actual rides. This is just my personal preference.

Thanks. I'm thinking I should be fine. We usually focus most on the parade and fireworks too, but like to squeeze in a few favorites. We usually hit space mountain too, but that's going to have to be a miss in a long dress. I can barely get in and out of those cars in normal clothes anymore. :rotfl:

Thanks. I'm thinking I should be fine. We usually focus most on the parade and fireworks too, but like to squeeze in a few favorites. We usually hit space mountain too, but that's going to have to be a miss in a long dress. I can barely get in and out of those cars in normal clothes anymore. :rotfl:

Cute avatar!

I'll never forget the first time I tried Space Mountain as an adult. The last time, I was ten. I fit into the seat. Keep in mind, I don't like roller coasters.

I went on for my husband during our honeymoon. I was a lot taller than I was at 10, and I stuck up out of that seat (as all adults do). I was terrified! Last time I rode it. :lmao:

Cute avatar!

I'll never forget the first time I tried Space Mountain as an adult. The last time, I was ten. I fit into the seat. Keep in mind, I don't like roller coasters.

I went on for my husband during our honeymoon. I was a lot taller than I was at 10, and I stuck up out of that seat (as all adults do). I was terrified! Last time I rode it. :lmao:

Thanks. I liked my old one, but I just love that old pic.

Those cars on SM make me feel old and decrepit. I generally feel as if I'm in fairly decent shape even though I'm overweight. I'm always barely pulling myself out of those cars.

My poor dad on our trip in April was having a horrible time getting himself out of the car with a torn meniscus in his knee. Absolutely insisted on riding though. Stubborn!

I thought there hadn't been an update on here in a while, Crissy. Looking forward to your post tomorrow! ;)

I've been putting off writing this post for awhile now. I've been trying to pretend and ignore the facts leading to the necessity for this post, thinking that if I don't actually type it out it's as if it's not true. But really that's just lying to myself. So here goes the truth.

I have done zero training so far in preparation of my half marathon. :sad2:

None. Zero. Zilch.

I didn't intend for this to happen. Earlier this year when I registered for the Disney half I also signed up for a local 10k race with my brother and SIL. I made up a training schedule and all was good. I let a few sad excuses take over my pysche and did nothing. The stupid race is this Sunday and I've not prepared for it at all. Needless to say I won't be running it as planned. Still I signed up for it, and paid for it so I'll be participating. While my SIL is running, I'll be walking the 6.2 miles. The course has the same time constraints as the half marathon going on at the same time, 3 hours, so I feel pretty confident that I can walk 6.2 miles within that time frame. I can usually walk about 3 miles leisurely in about an hour or so.

I hope.

In all honesty I've been in a funk since my vacation in December. I came home in a Disney feeling unhappy and discontent, and if anything the feeling has been getting worse. My full time job has been getting progressively more stressful and difficult. I lost my part time job, causing some financial difficulties, and I've been feeling more and more lonely and disconnected from everything going on around me. In retaliation I've been turning to what I always turn to - food, which of course only serves to make me more unhappy. When I was packing for my March trip to Disney I was a bit horrified to find out that things I had been wearing on my December trip, less than 3 months earlier, no longer were fitting. None of the summer clothes I've been pulling out lately have been fitting either. When I finally weighed myself a couple of weeks ago I realized that I had put on about 20 lbs since I has last really weighed myself about a year ago. I'm guessing that the bulk of those 20 lbs have been put on since December.

I was doing a bit better on my eating, and then I went to help chaperone my niece's 9th birthday party. I love and adore both of my nieces, but sometimes being at their events is really rough on me. I see all these kids, and their families and all I keep thinking about is how that's never going to be me. In those moments I feel utterly alone. Again, I found myself thrown into a tailspin with my eating, and in functioning in general. I've been finding it hard to even get myself out of bed of off the couch to do normal activities, forget about running. All I've been wanting to do is to curl into a ball and do nothing.

I didn't mean for this post to end up being this forthright, but it's why I'm finding myself about to do a race on Sunday that I haven't prepared for at all. I'm doing my best to try to snap myself out of my malaise and get back on track with my training so the same thing doesn't happen before the half marathon. I'm determined to complete this half marathon, no matter what.

The good thing is that the half is not a lost cause quite yet. I have at least been doing Zumba several times a week, so at least I've been getting in some exercise and that's a pretty aerobic activity. I did some research online and found an 18 week half marathon plan, that's a bit longer than the plan I was intending to follow. I like it because it builds a bit slower, and there is one less running day during the week. It's replaced with a cross-training day. I'm going to start with that plan, and see how I like it. The runs start with a mile and build from that point to the 13. Later on I can always switch back to the plan a friend of mine gave me that she followed for her Princess half training. It's the one that she was given through the Team in Training.

That 10K this weekend though, another story altogether. I'm just really disappointed with myself for falling apart so badly, but hopefully walking it will get me going in the right direction again.

Oh Chrissy, I am so sorry that you are feeling so low!! :hug::hug:

I think your running plan sounds really great and I know that regular physical exercise actually really helps to get to a brighter spot in your life! I really hope it works for you!! :goodvibes

You know what? I don't care that we're both in New England. We're still too far away for a real one of these:

:hug:

I SO know what you are going through. Been there. Done that. Time and time and time and time again. I battle myself, battle my depression, battle my emotions and more times than not I feel like I'm losing. Badly.

So, lately, I've been operating on a simple principle.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

You know what? It's working. Easily 5 days out of 7. It really helps put things in perspective.

I'm here for you girlie! PM me. Message me on FB. Heck, I'll give you my # and you can call me. Because I totally get it and I'll do anything I can to help you get and stay on track. :goodvibes

:hug::grouphug::hug:

I totally understand where you are coming from, I truly do. I've been in a funk with my weight loss lately and it's a mind game with myself. It's hard to overcome.

I know that you can do this! I think your new training schedule sounds really good. :goodvibes

Oh Chrissy, I am so sorry that you are feeling so low!! :hug::hug:

I think your running plan sounds really great and I know that regular physical exercise actually really helps to get to a brighter spot in your life! I really hope it works for you!! :goodvibes

Thanks. The new plan starts on Monday. It should be interesting. I just need to drag my lazy butt out of the house. I need to shake the weight that feels like it's hanging around my neck.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Thank you. I'm trying. :)

You know what? I don't care that we're both in New England. We're still too far away for a real one of these:

:hug:

I SO know what you are going through. Been there. Done that. Time and time and time and time again. I battle myself, battle my depression, battle my emotions and more times than not I feel like I'm losing. Badly.

So, lately, I've been operating on a simple principle.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

You know what? It's working. Easily 5 days out of 7. It really helps put things in perspective.

I'm here for you girlie! PM me. Message me on FB. Heck, I'll give you my # and you can call me. Because I totally get it and I'll do anything I can to help you get and stay on track. :goodvibes

Thank you Tink! It's so appreciated. I've always known I've been a bit prone to feeling depressed, but it's never been quite like this before. I think it's a bit like the perfect storm. Way too many things converging all at once.

I'm definitely taking that advice. One. Day. At. A. Time.

It's going to be my new motto.

:hug::grouphug::hug:

I totally understand where you are coming from, I truly do. I've been in a funk with my weight loss lately and it's a mind game with myself. It's hard to overcome.

I know that you can do this! I think your new training schedule sounds really good. :goodvibes

Thanks LL. Weight is such a mental issue. Dealing with the mental reasons why I eat is so much harder than anything else.

I've got my plan tacked up on the fridge just waiting for Monday.

Crissy, if there's ever a time you want to talk just PM me as well. I can easily Skype call you when you give the word. Easy-peasy and practically free. I can lend a listening ear if you need it. :goodvibes

Meantime, if it helps keep you on track with your training and eating, you can always post your progress. Sometimes telling others, even a cyber community, and add one extra layer of accountiblility. :goodvibes

Thanks LL. Weight is such a mental issue. Dealing with the mental reasons why I eat is so much harder than anything else.

I've got my plan tacked up on the fridge just waiting for Monday.

It is completely mental for me too. It's so hard to deal with even with the help from my lapband. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter