12" trimmer recommendations

Discussion in 'Scrapbooking' started by 123SA, May 15, 2006.

1. 123SA

123SA <font color=darkorchid>He stood on the arm of the

Can you recommend a 12" portable trimmer? I currently have a fiskars 12" portable trimmer. I need to replace it. I have never liked it because the measurements are off -- when I try to cut a piece of paper in half, one is always larger than the other. also, a 4 1/4 inch cut is common for me and you kind of have to make a guess for that measurement.

I am obsessive about making sure that my photo mats are cut perfectly. I often use the perfect layers system and an exacto knife, but it would save me time if I could find a cutter that I can work as consistlenty as perfect layers.

Any suggestions?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bubbasmom99

bubbasmom99 <br>Disney Obsessed<br><font color=red>I know you

I have tried several 12 inch trimmers... the Fiskars, as you said, cut crooked. I had a Cutterpede, but didn't like that it had to snap down each time to hold the paper. Same with the Zision. I have the CM trimmer which cuts straight and nice, but the blade tends to slip out of place frequently for me. I currently use a Carl rotary -- it's the smaller one. It cuts 12x12 but has a small footprint so it's very portable.

I think I've tried just about every major trimmer out on the market except for the pricey and rare Genesis, lol.

Oh, and I also have a big rotary Fiskars, which is nice but very bulky, and also needs to be snapped down. When I am doing fast, short cuts, I hate wasting time of snapping the guide down and pulling it back up.

4. potterphreak

potterphreak Mouseketeer

I agree, the fiskars is junk. I got a CM one recently and LOVE it! Yes, the blade comes off if you pull it down too far (it is how it gets on, after all!) but it cuts so smoothly and straight-LOVE it!! Highly recommend!

5. disneyfreakk

disneyfreakk <font color=blue>I sing Spongebob to my dogs</font

I love my CarlĀ® 12" Professional Rotary Trimmer! And the best thing is that they have several decorative blades for it too!!

6. Lisa

Lisa <font color=royalblue>OMG, I think I am going to p

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my CM 12" straight trimmer. :love:

7. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

I love my CM 12" straight trimmer, and I've just got the wavy one as well which is great for jazzing up boarders.

8. bcarson

bcarson Mouseketeer<br><font color=9966ff>I will second Or

I love my Zision. It is a cute neon green and pink to. You can get fairly reasonable with a coupon also at J's. :thumbsup2

9. KAMommy

KAMommy <font color=teal>I am ADDICTED to America's Next T

I have the Carl trimmer. I got it for trimming pictures, and use it for everything now. I just got some of the decorative blades - they are great.

10. cobbler

cobbler <br><font color=blue>Tag #1: (Under Construction:

I like my CM trimmer as well.

11. Honeybehr1

Honeybehr1 Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Hey I was a newlywe

I have a very bulky Fiskars one that I LOVE. It never slips, always cuts even and is the one of the best investment I have made. The only draw back is that it is very bulky but by far my favorite. (mine doesnt snap down like others have mentioned.)

12. ncmomof2

ncmomof2 DIS Veteran

I love my CM trimmer as well. The blade only comes off on one side I am pretty sure so always keep the blade on the same side as the expandable ruler and you should not have any problems. I have yet to have mine come off. It is nice to know that the blade can be replaced so easily!

13. Quinn222

Quinn222 DIS Veteran

As a beginner I haven't invested in too many tools. I've found my quilter's ruler, mat and rotary cutter (not the same as I use for fabric of course) work like a charm.

14. 123SA

123SA <font color=darkorchid>He stood on the arm of the

Has anyone used the X-acto laser trimmer?

Thnaks for all of your responses!

15. katelynsmommy2001

katelynsmommy2001 <font color=red>It's late, & I am feeling a little

Now I must be the only one, but I LOVE my Cutterpede!!! I have a Fiskars and an Ionic Studios trimmer, But hands down, my Cutterpede is my baby!!! I broke the ruler arm of & am going to buy a new one I love it so much!! It is sooo easy to cut straight!!!

Good Luck!!

16. graygables

graygables <font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P

I have Fiskars, Zision, Carl rotary, and a large Fiskars rotary. For paper, the best by far is the Zision (although I don't like the swing up bar, I'd rather it lift like the Fiskars or swing to the side). It cuts cleanly and evenly (as long as you keep the cutting valley cleaned out) I DETEST the Carl that I have. The bar doesn't lift at all, so you have to slide everything in and every single cut is crooked, even holding the bar down with even pressure. The paper also does not line up properly on the pull out ruler. I honestly think that people adjust to the tools, so what works for one may not work for the other.

BTW, I will only use a guillotine cutter for photos...the rotary cutters have been too unstable and the slide cutters can sometimes tear the emulsion surface rather than cut it, esp on photos printed at home. I have a much cleaner result with the CM personal trimmer for photos.

17. Twigs

Twigs <font color=deeppink>DIS Cast Member<br><font colo

I have a very large, old guilotine type of paper cutter from years and years ago. I use it all the time without any problem for scrapping. It really isn't too portable though.

18. cryssi

cryssi <font color=blue>Kabocha<br><font color=green>Look

Carl here too and I love it. The fiskars cheapie one is the worst! Oftentimes, however, I will just opt for an x-acto blade, straightedge, and my cutting mat...

19. SweetPeasMom2

SweetPeasMom2 DIS Veteran

CM's 12" trimmer. I have both. One cuts straight and the other cuts wavy. Yes it will come off if you go too fast and go past the "speed bumps". But I love them both.

20. TiggerFamily

TiggerFamily Love to scrap book

I have the CM and LOVE IT.

21. ksjayhawks

ksjayhawks DIS Veteran

I have a cutterpede, too, and that is my favorite by far! :thumbsup2