12 Months of Medals: My 2015 (And Beyond!) Running Challenge

A quick off-topic ...

Just wanted to share something that has been weighing on me today, and hope that y'all could send along some positive thoughts.

My elderly grandfather (and the only grandfather I've ever known - my dad's dad passed away when he was 16) sustained a pretty terrible fall yesterday and severely fractured his hip.

He is currently in surgery, however the operation is only believed to be palliative at best due to the nature of the fracture. My mom and her siblings went back and forth on whether to even him endure the surgery (he is quite old and suffers from Alzheimer's, among other maladies) and the best the doctors could give him without surgery would be maybe three weeks, due to immobility.

As my uncle put it "This may be the beginning of a move to Heaven, although I'm not sure Papa feels he is 'going to make the cut'."

My grandfather and I are not super close (my mother's side of the family is quite large, and as we grew up away from West Texas we didn't see them very often), but this would be a major loss for my mother.

I just hope whatever the ultimate outcome is that it is painless and he goes quickly, as he has already suffered enough in his decline.

Anyway. If you could just keep a thought for me in the coming days and weeks, I would really appreciate it.

You and your family are in my thoughts @Keels, losing a loved one is never an easy thing to deal with and I only hope that when that time does come your family finds comfort in knowing that he wont have to suffer anymore. I just recently lost my grandmother and although we too had grown apart since I had moved away it didn't make the loss any less significant, but I took solace in knowing that she went peacefully in her sleep.

Disneyland Half Marathon: Day 3
The 5K ... My Very First RunDisney Race!

My Garmin watch and phone alarm woke me promptly at 4 a.m. - it's 5K day!! Frankly, I'd been awake for at least 15 minutes before my alarm went off, so I dressed quickly, chugged a bottle of water, grabbed my pre-packed SpiBelt and a Honey Stinger Waffle and was out the door at 4:15 for the walk across the Esplanade towards the Disneyland Hotel.

I think I've mentioned it before (and if I haven't here goes) ... but sometimes, in new running situations, my nerves can really get to me prior to the start of a race. I think the first time I've gone to a race and been totally fine and ready was my last half marathon here in Fort Worth. Why? Because that's the same stretch of 13 miles I run in my daily runs (more or less). I know where I can get water not at a water station. I know where there are real bathrooms. I know where it's shady, where it's not and I know where the terrain changes. It also doesn't hurt that I'd run two previous halfs with the same group of roughly 500-700 people - I have familiar faces around my pace time, and it's nice to see these people when I'm out running.

I've only done one "major" production race weekend, and that was the 10K in New Orleans produced by Rock 'n' Roll. Just because of the sheer numbers of bibs for both the 5K and the Half, I knew that even that race weekend would pale in comparison to what I was going in to. So, I was pretty nervous about how corralling worked, as well as bag drop and a host of other things just because of the sheer number of people.

That's one of the reasons I'm really glad that I did the 5K - it really helped prepare me mentally (well, as much as I could be) for what would happen on Sunday!

Anyway.

There was a small handful of people leaving from my side of Harbor for the walk to Disneyland. In an effort to calm my nerves, I threw in my headphones and listened to a bit of my favorite Sports Talk radio station here in DFW - 1310 The Ticket. They do more bits than sportsy stuff, so it was a great way to take my mind off of the race.

Bag check was smooth - all I had was my SpiBelt - but I did have to take it off so they could look in it. Took about 5 minutes and I was on my way through the Esplanade and into Downtown Disney. The white plastic gates were up to demarcate the path between the two parks and then back through Downtown Disney to the finish.

There was plenty of signage and people directing me to the starting area, so I feel like I made it to the starting area in about 15-17 minutes (sorry - I had a lot on my mind and pretty much lost track of time at this point).

I choked down my Honey Stinger Waffle and then did a quick perusal of the pre-race area while I had another small glass of water.

A little bit about Gear Check:
So - I did not check a bag for the 5K, but I knew the three of us would be checking bags for the Half Marathon. I decided to take a peek at how this all worked to prepare for the process on Sunday.

At the Expo, you're given a clear plastic bag AND a sticker for EACH race you will be participating in. The sticker will have a letter and then your bib number (so, in my case, it would say G - 41xxxx for the 5K ... G for my last name and the number of my bib). You'll walk over to a tent that corresponds with your Letter and drop your bag off. Easy peasy!​

Around this time, they'd started calling for everyone to move to the corrals. I began my search for Corral A, and popped my headphones out to save my phone battery. As I approached the entrance to Corral A, I heard someone yell "Keels!" - and sure enough, right at the rail to Corral B was @zanzibar138 and her husband!!! It was so great to see a friendly face, and all my nerves flew away. She was sweet enough to take a picture of me and then it was off to make my place in Corral A. And let me tell you - the pictures just don't do her Jessica Rabbit costume justice ... it was fierce. Just plain amazing! Great job!

I worked my way up towards the front of the corral (honestly, it was not very full) and was about 8 rows of people back from the start line - almost right in front of the stage. I was kinda mentally prepping and trying not to psych myself out when I felt a tap on my shoulder - it was @mbwhitti! We'd played in the parks for a bit the day before, so I was excited to have someone to start the race off. We watched for cool costumes (though, I think we both agreed that running in a cardboard box is a BIT much), did a lot of cheering, high-fived and then it was time to go!

We were easily in the top 1/3rd, if not the top 1/4 or 1/5th of starters, so the running room was easy to come by and the pace was fast.

I had a goal in mind for this race - which was probably not realistic - but it was to be my first race since my 4th of July 5K fall. My goal for THAT race was to run as fast as I could for as long as I could. I knew there would be stops for pictures and all that, so I didn't have a time frame in mind, but I wanted to go hard and hopefully be back in my hotel room by 6:30.

The race heads out alongside the Disneyland Hotel and then takes a left turn that leads you to the DCA backstage area. What I loved about being up front is that this area was VERY wide, so there was plenty of room to get a good pace going and get in a groove before we would kick into the parks portion of the race (if I mention "room" a lot, there's a reason - I'll get to it more in my Half Marathon recap!).

We entered DCA in the back of CarsLand, along the sprint run area of Radiator Springs Racers! Of course, I stopped for a couple of selfies here and then sent them out on social media. Then it was down "Route 66" in CarsLand before making a left to make our way to Paradise Pier!

Taking a selfie in front of the World of Color fountains was probably the No. 1 thing on my to-do list during this race weekend - unfortunately, the 5K course didn't get as close to the fountain railing as I would like. But I still got my picture and it was roughly at the Mile 1 marker. But onward we go!

Then it was back down by Grizzly Springs before hitting Buena Vista Street on our way out of the park!

As soon as we ran through the park gates, it was awesome to see all the people lining the white plastic gates along the path to Disneyland. My first thought was "C'mon people! It's early! Why aren't you in bed?? Why aren't I in bed??".

A couple of high fives and we were through the gates and on to Main Street!

The 5K does not go through the castle, but there are plenty of opportunities to stop and get photos. I took selfies with a lit-up castle and the Partners statue, before the course veered to the right of the Castle and into Fantasyland. We went by the teacups, Dumbo and the carousel before heading out towards Frontierland.

And this is where my race took a little hit.

As we passed through Fantasyland and into the back area of Frontierland (behind Big Thunder Mountain), the terrain got pretty slick from the humidity and I found myself nearly slipping and falling at one point. Cue fear of falling in YET another 5K! So, I took it slow and walked for a minute or so until we got to the bridge-like terrain around Rivers of America and in to New Orleans Square.

I gave myself a pep talk that it would all be OK and set back out to run ... right when I look up at the bridge over Pirates of the Caribbean - and there is Maleficent! They had her miked and everything - and she was talking about how it was time and the villains were taking over. So cool. I loved that little nod to the following day's 10K and it made me even more jealous that I would not be running.

The course went through Critter Country and through a backstage area before turning back into Downtown Disney and finishing in a pretty narrow straightaway back at the Disneyland Hotel.

I made the turn and who did I see at the finish line? Pluto! He was my first "friend" when I went to work at Magic Kingdom, so it was pretty fitting that he was the finish line character for my first runDisney race. I veered over for a selfie (which, I guess we aren't supposed to do? Oh well - beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission, right?) and then it was across the finish line!

Finish time for me was 36:28. Not my best 5K, but I easily lost 5 minutes walking through almost all of Frontierland because I'm a baby.

Got my amazing bling, took a couple of photos, got my snack box and an ice-cold Powerade (yum!) and then it was back off to my hotel.

I loved being able to take the walk back slowly and see some of the AMAZING costumes that people were wearing! Like the House from "Up", and the full, floor-length Anastasia and Drizella gowns - the gals were holding up their gowns and shuffling just like the Stepsisters! So awesome.

Next Post: My Overall Thoughts on the 2015 Disneyland 5K!

Last edited:
Disneyland Half Marathon: Day 3
My Thoughts on the 2015 Disneyland 5K

The 5K was a last-minute impulse "purchase" for me, and boy, am I glad I did it!

That said, at $90 via a Travel Agent, it wasn't the most cost-effective way to get in to this race. I purchased my bib through Cruise Planners - the transaction was quick and easy, and because I already had a bib for another race I wasn't required to purchase a "package" that included a ticket or a hotel stay. It was just purely an "add-on".

I had high expectations for my first rD race weekend, and I think they were easily met by the 5K. Maybe had I just done the Half Marathon, I don't know what I would think, but every step of the run in the 5K was magical.

I loved the shirt and the medal. I loved all of the on-course support. I loved how they took the time to stage the character stops during the race so it really felt as if it was a story - going from the 5K through the 10K and into the Half. Because there is a slight Villain aspect in the 5K medal, I'm glad that they took the time to carry that through the course.

The water stops were well staffed, and I enjoyed the offerings post-race in the snack box (fruit snacks, pretzels, tortilla chips, cheese spread, a chocolate bar and a Builders Bar).

I couldn't stop talking about the 5K once my husband arrived, to which he said "Sounds fun. We should probably always do them!". So, looking forward to my next rD 5K - the Jingle Jungle 5K!

I really enjoyed reading your recap and thoughts on the 5K.
Having had the rD 5K experience, I definitely agree that it's a good idea to do the 5K before you do the longer races just because it gives you a little bit of an orientation. I'm a lot less nervous about January than I was last year before my first race because I've been through that experience, and I hope that having done these races will make you a little less nervous about Dopey because you know a little more about what to expect (although from what I've heard the two coasts are different experiences - so hopefully W&D will help with that).

I'm so glad that the 5K lived up to your magical expectations!

So excited for this recap!

It does sound like a fun race and your time is really good for stopping to take pictures and walking. I'd be happy with that for sure!
Were the character lines pretty crazy or did they seem manage-able?

I know what you mean about the nerves pre-start and feeling most comfortable at your home course...that's my identical experience too. Not sure how to get rid of the nerves...right now I just kind of accept them.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip! (and trying not to be jealous you are running the Jingle Jungle bc Christmas & Disney!!!!!)

@Keels.....sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Hoping for a good outcome but sending prayers to him and your family too.

It was 90 degrees with 60% humidity at 10 a.m. this morning.

I still have no internet. I also have no TV either.

Gmail is down.

I hate today. Is noon to early to go to the bar for a 3 p.m. baseball game?

Carry on.

Is noon to early to go to the bar for a 3 p.m. baseball game?

It's Game 5, so I think there's no such thing as too early.

I definitely know those "everything is going wrong" kind of days, so you have my sympathies. I hope the day gets better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter