11 Days of DxDP: There's always room for dessert. UPDATE 2/23: Starring Rolls/Sci-Fi

The next morning, we had an ADR at Akershus, but I wasn't feeling up to going. I told Pete that he could go without me, but he wasn't interested in going to a Princess breakfast alone (he probably didn't want to go even if I had been feeling well), so he canceled it. Because I was sick, we didn't get charged the cancellation fee.

Pete went to Riverside Mill for breakfast, but didn't take me camera. He spent the morning exploring POR and POFQ while I slept. We had a lunch ADR at Le Cellier, but again, I just wasn't feeling up to it. Pete didn't want to go without me, so we canceled that too. We had a Candlelight Processional Package at La Hacienda de San Angel that night. I was feeling a little better by the late afternoon, so we went to Epcot.

Our reservation at La Hacienda was at 4:30. We checked in at 4:15, and we were seated immediately.

I still wasn't feeling like eating much, so we split an appetizer. We had the queso fundido.

DSCF5189.jpg

DSCF5191.jpg

This was melted cheese with chorizo and poblano peppers served with flour tortillas. Pete really liked it, especially the peppers. I didn't like it, which I attribute to not feeling well, because melted cheese is usually right up my alley.

I had the pollo al pastor (achiote marinated chicken served with roasted vegetables, beans and pineapple relish) for my entree.

DSCF5195.jpg

It was very sweet. It tasted like sugar chicken. Pete tried it, and he agreed. Neither of us ate more than a bite of it.

Pete had the tacos de camerones (fried Shrimp, chipotle lime aioli, cabbage, lime and salsa verde, all served over flour tortilla).

DSCF5197.jpg

Pete thought these were very average. He said that there was way too much cabbage on them.

We were served rice and beans to share.

Untitled-1.jpg

I didn't eat any of either. Pete said that they were standard Mexican restaurant rice and beans.

For dessert, we split the empanada de manzana (puff pastry filled with sauteed caramel apples and vanilla bean ice cream with kahlua sauce).

DSCF5205.jpg

We both thought that this was the best part of the meal. I ate most of the pastry, and Pete ate the ice cream. The pastry was sweet, and the filling had a lot of caramel flavor. It could have used a little more filling, but overall, it was very good.

We didn't use our dining credits to their fullest at this location, but we agreed that we would not return to La Hacienda.

We did a little shopping while we waited for the Candlelight Processional to start. The CM that helped us at the Mexico pavilion was from Merida, which is where Pete and I honeymooned. We chatted for a while, and then he played a special recording for us since we were celebrating our anniversary.

While we were waiting in line for the CP, Pete had a Kaki Gori from Japan.

DSCF5227.jpg

He had the rainbow kaki gori, which had cherry, tangerine, and melon syrups on it. He said the melon flavor was the best.

The next morning, we had an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Table. I was so excited to eat in the castle! The other 2 times I had been to WDW, I wasn't involved in the planning, and my parents didn't know they needed to make an advance reservation, so this was a long awaited experience. Unfortunately, my appetite was still non-existent from being sick, and I thought that was I did eat tasted bad.

We checked in and were immediately sent in to get our photo with Cinderella. Then we went up the stairs and we were immediately seated at a two person table by the window overlooking Fantasyland.

We were brought a plate of assorted breads and pastries.

DSCF5287.jpg

Pete tried all of them. He liked the cinnamon roll things the best and thought the biscuits were a bit dry. I didn't have anything from this plate.

I ordered the traditional breakfast.

DSCF5288.jpg

This consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and rosemary-lemon roasted potatoes. I didn't like any of it. Pete tried all of it, and he thought it was all pretty standard breakfast food. He didn't like the potatoes, though.

Pete ordered the cream cheese stuffed French toast.

DSCF5289.jpg

He described it as having a bread pudding consistency. He really enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly what he was expecting.

I had read in other reviews about couples getting wands, swords, and/or wishing stars. We didn't get any of these. The service here wasn't the greatest, and Pete and I didn't get much interaction with the princesses. Overall, I was a little disappointed in the whole experience, but that may be because my expectations were too high. We might return sometime, but we're not in any rush.

Sorry for the lack of updates! I've been super busy, and this has fallen to the back burner. I'll try to get several updates done this weekend.

Pete and I had lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. I was really looking forward to this lunch, if only because I was really looking forward to the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. My appetite was still a little off from being sick, and food still wasn't tasting quite right. This meal didn't go quite according to plan.

Pete and I were wearing anniversary buttons, and our table was decorated when we were seated.

DSCF5366.jpg

I wasn't hungry enough for an appetizer. Pete had the Tavern Fried Cheese.

DSCF5369.jpg

He said these were just standard mozzarella sticks.

For his entree, Pete had their special of the day. It was salmon (I think) served over a salad.

DSCF5372.jpg

He really enjoyed this. He said the fish was some of the best that he's had. He would definitely have ordered this again.

I had the Pilgrim's Feast.

DSCF5371.jpg

It came with turkey, mashed potatoes, and green beans. I asked for it without gravy. I thought that the turkey and green beans tasted funny, so I just ate some mashed potatoes. They really hit the spot that day. Pete tried the turkey and green beans, and said that they were delicious. He ate quite a bit of them before time to order dessert.

Pete had the Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp for dessert.

DSCF5377.jpg

He said that this had good flavor. He really liked it, but said that the portion size was kind of small.

I ordered the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake.

DSCF5376.jpg

I don't know why, but it tasted really salty to me. I couldn't eat it. Pete, on the other hand, was delighted that I didn't want to eat it. He devoured the whole thing. He assured me that it was the most delicious thing he had eaten on Disney property.

Pete loved lunch here. He said that he would definitely come back. I had been looking forward to enjoying the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake for so long, and I was so upset that I really didn't enjoy the meal at all. We decided to try to get an ADR for later in our trip, so that I could have another shot at enjoying LTT.

Subbing in... so sorry that both of you got a stomach bug on your trip. :sick: That makes it challenging, esp. with all that Disney food.

Liked having some food reviews for Universal too. We went to Disney last year for a vacation and got free dining plan.
We are going back to Orlando this year for a dance comp. and will try to hit up Universal for a couple of days (no Disney this time though :sad1: )

That evening we decided to explore some of the deluxe resorts to see Christmas decorations. While we were at the Boardwalk, we picked up an Oreo Bon Bon cupcake.

DSCF5432.jpg

This was white cake with cookies and cream frosting inside. Everything about it sounded delicious, but I didn't like it. Pete ate the whole thing. He really liked it, but thought that the frosting was a little too whipped for his taste.

We had dinner that evening at 'Ohana. I'll just go ahead and preface this review by saying that I hated everything from start to finish. I didn't get as many pictures as I should have, because I just wasn't enjoying myself at all.

DSCF5483.jpg

We started with pineapple and coconut Welcome bread.

DSCF5459.jpg

Pete said this was just ok. He didn't eat much of it, because he was looking forward to the rest of the meal.

The waitress brought the dipping sauces next. There was Pineapple Sweet and Sour, Chimichurri, and Peanut.

DSCF5462.jpg

Next came the salad and the appetizers.

DSCF5463.jpg

DSCF5466.jpg

We didn't eat much of the salad. Pete really liked the honey lime dressing, but he was more interested in everything else that was to come.

The appetizers were Pork Dumplings with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings. Pete thought that both were delicious. He probably would have kept eating until there was nothing left in the bowl, but the waitress brought the Noodles and Stir Fried Vegetables.

DSCF5469.jpg

This is when they started bringing meat around.

DSCF5475.jpg

DSCF5468.jpg

Pete kept eating shrimp, steak, and chicken. I tried some of all it, but everything seemed to have a funny taste. He was stuffed by the time dessert came, but he ate it anyway.

DSCF5480.jpg

He ate the whole serving, then told me that it would be my job to roll him out of the restaurant. The waitress came by with two cupcakes for our anniversary.

DSCF5477.jpg

Pete loved this restaurant. He still thinks it was one of the dining highlights of the trip. I'm hesitant to want to go back, even though I know my experience was just because I was sick.

Subbing in... so sorry that both of you got a stomach bug on your trip. :sick: That makes it challenging, esp. with all that Disney food.

Liked having some food reviews for Universal too. We went to Disney last year for a vacation and got free dining plan.
We are going back to Orlando this year for a dance comp. and will try to hit up Universal for a couple of days (no Disney this time though :sad1: )

Pete bounced back much quicker than I did, but we both tried to make the best of it.

Overall, the dining options inside the parks at Universal seemed to be lacking. The dining options at CityWalk were great, though. :thumbsup2 I hope you have a great time on your trip this year!

It's really too bad that you had to be sick on your trip! I love the looks of that salmon salad at LTT. If they had that regularly, I'd be more interested to eat there again. I love the ooey gooey toffee cake! Being sick can really throw off your taste buds I think; maybe that it why it was salty. Sounds like Pete thought it was ok. :thumbsup2

Can I just say....I love that you aren't afraid or ashamed to let us know how much of sweet tooth you have! I love it! You are my kind of girl....However, my DH isn't as much as I am, so I think he would laugh me up and down if I tried everything I really want to try! I am living through you & your desserts!
:rotfl2:

Loving your report, but not that you got sick! We only stayed at POR one night of our trip in December and found ourselves with extra QS credits. Their sandwiches, both the turkey and the muffaletta, make GREAT on the road meals for anyone driving! Delish!

It's really too bad that you had to be sick on your trip! I love the looks of that salmon salad at LTT. If they had that regularly, I'd be more interested to eat there again. I love the ooey gooey toffee cake! Being sick can really throw off your taste buds I think; maybe that it why it was salty. Sounds like Pete thought it was ok. :thumbsup2

We went back later in the trip, and I loved the ooey gooey toffee cake. It was probably my favorite dessert! :thumbsup2

Can I just say....I love that you aren't afraid or ashamed to let us know how much of sweet tooth you have! I love it! You are my kind of girl....However, my DH isn't as much as I am, so I think he would laugh me up and down if I tried everything I really want to try! I am living through you & your desserts!
:rotfl2:

There's no time to indulge your sweet tooth like vacation. :rotfl2: Pete doesn't love sweets as much as I do, but enjoying a few desserts was one of the best parts of the trip.

Loving your report, but not that you got sick! We only stayed at POR one night of our trip in December and found ourselves with extra QS credits. Their sandwiches, both the turkey and the muffaletta, make GREAT on the road meals for anyone driving! Delish!

We had a few credits leftover as well. We used them at Earl of Sandwich to get a few sandwiches for the drive back.

The next morning, Pete and I had an ADR at Grand Floridian Cafe. I was still feeling sort of exhausted, so we canceled it so I could sleep in a little. We decided to get breakfast at Starring Rolls Bakery after we went on Toy Story Midway Mania a couple of times.

Part of the bakery is set up as self-serve. The other part is counter service, and that's where they keep the cupcakes and brownies.

DSCF5583.jpg

DSCF5582.jpg

DSCF5581.jpg

Pete and I each decided to have a cupcake for breakfast. I ordered the Red Velvet.

DSCF5586.jpg

It's no surprise that I didn't like it. Peter ate it. He's not really a fan of red velvet, but he thought it was decent. There was too much icing for his taste, but he just scraped some of it off.

Pete ordered the Butterfinger Cupcake.

DSCF5587.jpg

It's chocolate cake with vanilla frosting coated in chocolate and Butterfinger. There's chocolate frosting in the middle. Pete let me have a bite, and I actually thought it was really good. I ate about half of it. I figured that it was fair, since he had been eating so much of my stuff over the previous few days. :lmao:

We had lunch at Sci Fi Dine In Theater. We tried to check in around 15 minutes before our ADR, but the person at the desk told us to come back at our ADR time to check in. Once we checked in, we were seated in about 15 minutes. We were seated in a car, in the back row behind a family of four.

For our appetizers, I ordered the onion rings.

DSCF5631.jpg

I thought the breading was really good, but I thought the onion tasted weird. Pete thought they were very good. I ended up taking the breading off and just eating that.

Pete had the spinach and artichoke dip.

DSCF5632.jpg

Pete thought it was "above average." I also liked it. We ran out of chips, but I think Pete used the rest of the dip for his fries.

I had a bacon cheeseburger with fries.

DSCF5634.jpg

The burger was delicious, but it didn't sit so well with my stomach. The fries were standard as far as Disney fries. I ate a few, but I was getting full, and I really wanted dessert.

Pete had the All American Picnic burger with sweet potato fries.

DSCF5636.jpg

DSCF5635.jpg

The burger is topped with a hot dog, sauerkraut, and grilled onions. He thought this was great. It convinced him that he would like to come back here again.

For dessert, I had the apple crumble.

DSCF5637.jpg

I thought this was perfect. The crust part was so good. Pete had a bite, but I wouldn't let him have more than that. I'm such a mean wife. :rotfl2:

Pete had the peanut butter chocolate cake.

DSCF5639.jpg

The outside of the cake was really hard, and it gave the cake a really crunchy texture. Pete also said that the cake had a kind of bitter taste. He wouldn't order it again.

We both agreed that we would return here. I was a little nervous about this ADR, because I had seen so many bad reviews here, but we both thought it was great. Pete said that next time he would definitely want to get a milkshake.

We have eaten at Sci Fi on both of our last trips and loved it. We found the food very good, large portions, great atmosphere and we had the best waiter on our trip. I too have seen some terrible reviews but we had a great experience there too :thumbsup2
Did you guys have the milkshakes to drink? Although that might not have sat well on your tummy.

More good reviews. Sorry about your disappointing experience at Ohanas. I want to eat there, but by the time I decided I wanted to try it for our upcoming trip it was too late and I haven't been able to get a reservation.

I feel like people either love or hate Sci-Fi. Glad to see a positive review as we have a reservation there in Aug! :thumbsup2 And the Butterfinger cupcakes are to die for! That's what I had for breakfast on our Hollywood Studios day! Yum!

Great reviews and awesome pics at Sci-fi, thats hard to do!

Hope you were feeling better soon!

I am enjoying your reviews! Thanks for taking so many awesome pictures. I can never remember to take pictures when we visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter