11/5--Dining reviews 2013 from Three Resorts means three times the fun right?!

Mmm - the food at Tutto looks so delicious. I am so mad that we didn't get to try more WS restaurants on this last trip. Next time - I vow that next time we will! :laughing:

I hear you, we always end up dining in the WS 4-5 times. The travel time gets old when you stay near the MK, but that's most of our favorites are located ;)

Mama Melrose-lunch

As usual the lobby of Mama Melrose was full of guests. A few people in front of me were trying to score a walk in, but with no luck. The park didn’t seem overly busy, but the sit down restaurants fill up fast, so ADRs are a must for us. There are many places to eat, but only a few great ones. The waiting area is small, but the buzzers do have a decent range if you want to browse in the Stage 1 Company Store across the way.

We only waited for about 12 minutes before we were seated in the back of the ‘warehouse.’ I think we sat at this table last year too. Dori was over within a few seconds to great us and take our drink order, while we looked over the menu.

When she returned we ordered our salads and flatbreads to split. The Caesar and mixed green salad arrived within 7 minutes. The Caesar was tangy- the dressing had a heavy hint of anchovies. The portions of salad on are the large side making them perfect to share. The mixed green salad had cucumbers, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, sopressata and red wine vinaigrette.

It took a little while longer for the flatbreads to arrive, but they were worth the wait. We ordered a mushroom- with crimini and button mushrooms finely diced, topped with a balsamic glaze. The carne flatbread had spicy Italian sausage, pancetta and pepperoni and the margarita flatbread was simply dressed with mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and olive oil. The tomatoes were thickly sliced and were rather awkward on a pizza, but really my only complaint.

This has always been a slam dunk for us today was no exception. Dori made sure we had beverages and small plates when we needed them and she checked in with us many times. The only thing we had to tell our server about the lack of music! So the manager went and turned it on. We knew something was missing lol! Dori was a great server and she even knew our server friend Holly from Pittsburgh, so we asked her to say hello for us.

Another great meal at Mama Melrose for us

5 stars-excellent

Your food choices at MM look great! That mushroom pizza especially is just calling my name right now! Can you tell I haven't had dinner yet? :laughing:

Thanks for the great review!

Your food choices at MM look great! That mushroom pizza especially is just calling my name right now! Can you tell I haven't had dinner yet? :laughing:

Thanks for the great review!

I could go for that pizza now myself! It is a little sweet with the balsamic, but really good if you love 'shrooms. :)

Shula’s-dinner

For years, the Yachtsman Steakhouse was a big favorite of ours. However the last few times we had visited, it went downhill year after year. We had experienced terrible service twice, so that was it for us. Shula’s seemed like the perfect solution to our steakhouse problem and it was close to our resort. This would be our first visit there, so looking forward to it.

The size and shape of the Swan and Dolphin are truly unique. You can spot them from many perches around property. If you have never had the experience to get up close and personal to them, it may make for a fun evening along with a short walk over to the Boardwalk.

These were the only photographs I took because the restaurant was very dark and I didn’t want to be flashing photos all night and bother other guests. (I know I do it in other restaurants, but it is really dark in here!) Anyway, we walked over early to see if they could squeeze us in sooner and it wasn’t a problem. Being Sunday night, they were on the slow side and had plenty of empty tables.

The restaurant has beautiful, dark wood paneling on the walls with high ceilings and dim lighting. The dining space was divided well into smaller sections to allow for more cozy and quiet experiences. The walk to the table took you past the kitchen line and scotch cart, which caught my eye. I always love to get a look at the spirits. They led us to the back of the right room and immediately after we were seated Greg was there to offer us water. In fact, you will see a lot of your server and the assistant here, boy did I love this!

As we looked over the menu, colossal shrimp cocktail caught my eye. I knew that I would split the steak with my mother and father, so I would be plenty full after that and a few sides. I can no longer eat a large piece of meat anymore and these steaks are gigantic! As we looked over the paper menu and the original menu on the football, Lisa wheeled over the cow cart. She gave us an explanation of all of the steaks they offer, which was really cool because a few other steakhouses I have been to do that. My father settled on the Kansas City strip and a wedge salad to start and my mother the larger filet mignon with lobster bisque along with a few side dishes.

The appetizers came out within a few minutes and I was deep in shrimp heaven! I cannot get fresh shrimp so good at home, most everything is frozen of course. The shrimp were poached perfectly and the cocktail a bit on the spicy side just the way I like it. The wedge salad was pretty straight forward, but he enjoyed it. The lobster bisque was just so so. They used a heavy roux to thicken it and failed to cook the raw starchiness of it out. The best lobster bisque is at Roy’s Restaurant by the way…

After the plates were cleared and we lingered practically alone for a while, another table of gentleman was seated, but each table gets their own team of servers to personalize your service. Our steaks arrived a little while later as well as the delicious side dishes of broccoli with Hollandaise and double baked potato, which is the house specialty.

The steaks were both flavorful, my dad’s strip was cooked a little over medium rare as requested, but still good. I like medium rare with dripping juice and blood, but it freaks my mom out. The broccoli was tender and firm and how can you not love Hollandaise? The double baked potato wasn’t anything I couldn’t do at home, but a good accompaniment to the steaks.

The meat is Certified Angus as I prefer Prime beef at a steakhouse with these prices. Service was amazing. The steaks were great, just not excellent, but still a better alternative to YSH in my opinion.

4 stars-Good

Mmmmmm I want mushroom pizza, RIGHT NOW!!! That looked so good. I really shouldn't be reading reviews tonight cuz now I'm hungry!!! Love the reviews so far.

We had a less-than-stellar experience at the YSH this August - good food but poor service. It's nice to read about an alternative in the same general vicinity. :thumbsup2

Monday the 30th

Columbia Harbor House-lunch

This is the only counter service in the parks where I enjoy dining. The theme is nicely done and the menu is to our liking. The queue has been changed, so we moved a little quicker through the line, but it still took about 15 minutes to get our order. It tends to be quieter upstairs, but I think most people have figured out that gem of information. Anyway we found a spot in a small room right off the lobby and order area to sit. It was crowded and full of strollers, but hey its WDW and it’s lunch time!

I had the fish and chicken and it was okay. I have really cut back on my intake, so fried goodies are a real treat. The chicken was fine, but the fish was deep fried in oil that was either to cold or it had just been sitting too long. My dad had the tuna sandwich, which he ate, but his potato chip pile had a patch of raw ones. My mother enjoyed her uncrustables, but hey who wouldn’t?!

Sadly it was bland, mediocre & lukewarm food. I think we will head to Gasparilla’s or Contempo Café next time we want to do a counter service meal near the MK.

Meh-thumbs down

Wolfgang Puck-dinner

Wolfgang Puck Café is usually a great bet for us. We experienced slow service once, but other than that the place has treated us very well. The menu has salads, sandwiches, pastas, pizza and sushi, so there are plenty of choices for everyone even picky ones! I think it rains every time we come here, but at least we were inside and they could seat us early.

Joe came right over to the table after we were seated in introduced himself. He took our drink order while we perused the menu. I cannot pass up an opportunity to have my favorite yellowtail tuna nigiri style. Nom Nom! It took me a while before I had the desire to try the raw fish, fish egg kind of thing, but now I really enjoy it. If you steer clear of the rolls with mayonnaise based sauces and cream cheese, it can be a relatively healthy meal. In the meantime Joe brought by some house bread focaccia with butter.

I rarely get a craving for, but chicken and mushroom Alfredo was standing out for me. Apparently I wanted carbs! The pasta had roasted chicken, sautéed mushrooms tossed with a creamy parmesan sauce and topped with goat cheese. It was good and the serving size was ginormous, so if you have a smaller appetite, consider splitting with someone. I really liked the goat cheese and mushrooms together.

My mother had the spaghetti Bolognese, which is a favorite of hers. This one was a little lighter than most, some versions add heavy cream at the end, but this one had a thick meaty tomato sauce that wasn’t densely rich. She enjoyed it, but didn’t come close to finishing it.

Dad had the simple pepperoni pizza with piquillo peppers, salami and sopressata. Pizza is all very good here and tonight was great too. Food was great, service was great, overall a great experience.

5 stars- Excellent

Wave-breakfast

We ate at the Wave each morning while staying at Bay Lake Tower. They offer a lovely a la carte menu with locally sourced and whole grain items as well as a buffet for breakfast. The ever popular ham and cheese omelet is available as well as eggs Benedict with lime Hollandaise, which personally is overkill for me, flapjacks, waffles (available in Belgian style or whole grain) French toast, a frittata and eggs your way are some of the menu choices. The Wave is one of the few places you get chicken sausage with your meal. You can also spice up the morning with whole leaf teas or a cocktail!
Belgian waffle served with sausage and fruit compote.

Buffet offerings

The buffet offers oatmeal with fixings, sausage gravy and biscuits, cheesy grits with bacon, sausage, bacon, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs, bread pudding, breads, muffins, other pastries, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, lox, bagels, capers and red onion.

The atmosphere is odd, but I think they did a good job with the space they had to work with. I will always remember it as the Fiesta Food & Fun Center, but I love the addition of the Wave to the Contemporary, especially since we are DVC members at BLT. I t give us a place to be able to walk in for breakfast every morning. Service is usually very good, once in a while you will get an overwhelmed server. Three quarters of the time you can get in and get out to the parks in a reasonable amount of time.

5 stars-Excellent

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter