A Pink Pixie Princess - Complete!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

I had this big, long, wordy post written out...but no one wants to read that. So here's a shorter (still long), less wordy (but still pretty wordy) summary...

I've seen a lot of discussion over training plans here on DISBoards, and that DopeyBadger (a super knowledgeable poster who participates in the runDisney threads - I'm not tagging him here because I don't want him to feel like he needs to read my rambling ;)) was creating custom training plans for people. Somehow I found myself messaging him to make one for me last week. He generously agreed to do it!

So that's the main gist of this post...I am 99% sure I'm changing up my training leading up to my marathon in May. I can't put my finger on a good reason why, other than this: I have used Hal Higdon plans pretty consistently for about 7 years now, and am wondering if it's time for me to shake things up. I really loved running last year, but after an injury in the fall I think some of that love has gone away, so maybe it's time for a change.

What I got from DopeyBadger is...interesting. It's totally tailored to me, based on previous times that I've run, and based on a certain goal time that I have in mind for May that I'm afraid to say out loud. :upsidedow I'm not sure said time is realistic, but it's sort of my A+++ goal. The schedule is like a mini-Hanson* plan - 4 days per week (sometimes 5) with high mileage, most of the mileage done at a pretty relaxed pace. Here's DopeyBadger's summary of the plan he made for me:

1) Keep an 80% Easy / 20% Hard split
2) Have the longest run in a week not exceed 35%
3) Try to maintain 4-days a week with as few as possible weekdays above 60 min. Occasionally 5-days a week was used to balance the plan, and 60+ min weekday workouts start to appear the closer it gets to Marathon day.
4) Never exceed 3:00 hours in a training run
5) Use Arthur Lydiard method of specialization. The closer we get to marathon day, the less speed work we do and the more tempo like workouts.

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around three things with this new plan...

1. The training paces - there are speedwork, strength and tempo paces that I understand, but those make up a small percentage of the weekly mileage. Most of the runs are done at a pretty easy (for me) pace...like...crazy easy :scratchin So you'll see that reflected in my upcoming runs
  2. The longer midweek runs - how am I going to get 7-8 miles in on Wednesdays?! :faint:
  3. The shorter long runs...the Highdon plan I was originally going to use culminates with a 20-mile long run, while this plan tops out with a 16-mile long run :confused3
*Not the MMMBop Hansons...the running Hansons. Their plan is 6 days each week of running with no other kind of cross training, high mileage and tops out at a 16-mile long run. I am NOT ready for 6 days per week of running! :eek:

I'm a little afraid to try this plan, just because, like I said, I have been using Higdon plans for SO long...they are comfortable for me. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try something new...who knows, maybe I'll love it and set all kind of records. :rotfl: LOLOLOL.

Other things coming with this re-thinking of training...

1. A local race - I said in my introductory post in this thread that I was cutting back on local races, but “Coach” DopeyBadger suggested signing up for a half in April to gauge my progress...I think that would be a good idea to give me some confidence for the marathon (and hopefully a new half marathon PR...my current one is from 2012 - so old!), so I’ll be looking into that
  2. Less lifting - I'm not ready to cut lifting out completely, because I DO feel that it’s helping me, so I’ll be keeping that in 1-2 times per week depending on what runs are scheduled. I'm going to do my best to stick to yoga once each week
I'm keeping this week as scheduled, figuring out something for next week...and then the new plan begins.

This will be okay, right?...RIGHT??? :eek:

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
PHASE 1

Okay, so new training plan time…

The goal of phase 1 is to get me to running 4 days per week again and to continue to build stamina after my stupid back injury from this summer. Running 4 days per week, lifting twice (I wanted to make lifting 3 times per week work, but not doubling up on running and lifting this morning was WAY enjoyable for me, so twice it is, for now), and doing yoga whenever possible. No speedwork, strength or tempo runs yet.

These paces are not what I am used to running, but I’m going to do my best! ::yes::

COMPLETED TRAINING

Week 1 (11/23 - 11/29): 14 miles completed **THANKSGIVING WEEK**

Monday: 2.75-mile run @ 11:28/mile pace
Tuesday: 3.25-mile run @ 13:32/mile pace
Wednesday: 4-mile run @ 12:41/mile pace
Thursday: 4-mile run @ 12:16/mile pace
Friday: yoga
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

Week 2 (11/30 - 12/6): 14.5 miles planned

Monday: 3.5-mile run @ 13:32/mile pace
Tuesday: lifting
Thursday: lifting
Friday: 3-mile run @ 13:32/mile pace + yoga
Saturday: 4-mile run @ 12:16/mile pace

Week 3 (12/7 - 12/13): 15 miles completed

Monday: 4-mile run @ 13:32/mile pace
Tuesday: lifting
Thursday: lifting
Friday: 3-mile run @ 13:32/mile pace + yoga
Saturday: 4-mile run @ 12:16/mile pace

Week 4 (12/14 - 12/20): 8 miles completed/23 miles planned **TRAVEL**
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 4-mile run @ 13:32/mile pace
Thursday: back injury/rest
Friday: back injury/rest
Saturday: back injury/rest
Sunday: back injury/rest

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Wishing you the best of luck! May drop in from time to time to see how things are going. :)
:) And let me clarify that the "things I can't wrap my head around" portion of the above post isn't a knock on the training plan you so generously made for me...just stuff that is different for me!

Thanks again! :goodvibes

:) And let me clarify that the "things I can't wrap my head around" portion of the above post isn't a knock on the training plan you so generously made for me...just stuff that is different for me!

Thanks again! :goodvibes

Oh trust me, I agree it's hard to wrap your head around it (How can you possibly get faster by mostly training slower???). What convinced me in personal experience was during training I never ran more than a single mile consecutively faster than 8:21. Yet, for the actual marathon race, I did the first 13.1 in a 8:32 min/mile (my planned pace) and the second 13.1 in a 8:05 min/mile. Thereby, setting a new half marathon PR, new 10K PR during the 2nd half of my marathon, and a new marathon PR by 42 minutes (and 90 minutes better than 5 months earlier!!). Trust me, I was blown away.

Oh trust me, I agree it's hard to wrap your head around it (How can you possibly get faster by mostly training slower???). What convinced me in personal experience was during training I never ran more than a single mile consecutively faster than 8:21. Yet, for the actual marathon race, I did the first 13.1 in a 8:32 min/mile (my planned pace) and the second 13.1 in a 8:05 min/mile. Thereby, setting a new half marathon PR, new 10K PR during the 2nd half of my marathon, and a new marathon PR by 42 minutes (and 90 minutes better than 5 months earlier!!). Trust me, I was blown away.
Well, this morning I did my run at a 13:20 pace per the plan...was actually supposed to be 13:32. It felt SO WEIRD!! It was definitely easy though. :confused3

I hope to have similar-ish results to what you had (as far as improvement)...keeping in mind they won't be quite as good since I'm not doing the full 6-day plan. :)

Well, this morning I did my run at a 13:20 pace per the plan...was actually supposed to be 13:32. It felt SO WEIRD!! It was definitely easy though. :confused3

I hope to have similar-ish results to what you had (as far as improvement)...keeping in mind they won't be quite as good since I'm not doing the full 6-day plan. :)

I just have a gut feeling that you're going to be surprised with your time during your practice 13.1 race in April. ;) Just be patient!

Yeah, following this thread for sure. I've been surprised by a training plan before in a good way, so I can't wait to see how this goes.

Just wrote out my goal splits for WDW marathon in January. I'm one of those that does run math in my head during training runs, so DopeyBadger's training plan has piqued my interest. Plus, you record your experiences so well. It'll be a good experiment. Thanks! :)

Yeah, following this thread for sure. I've been surprised by a training plan before in a good way, so I can't wait to see how this goes.
I also can't wait! I've told myself I'll try new training plans before and haven't followed through...this time I am going to try my best to stick to the new one. Hopefully putting it out there on this board will hold me accountable!
Just wrote out my goal splits for WDW marathon in January. I'm one of those that does run math in my head during training runs, so DopeyBadger's training plan has piqued my interest. Plus, you record your experiences so well. It'll be a good experiment. Thanks! :)
Thank you! :) I've been thinking of it as an experiment too...like, I know the Higdon plan can get me to the finish, but I'm really wondering what will happen if I try something new. Excited to find out!...

...hopefully this excitement remains in a few weeks when I have 5-day weeks of running on my training plan and have to figure out how to get 8-10 miles in before work :eek:...we shall see!

I don't want to take over your journal with questions for dopeybadger, but are you ever afraid of injuring yourself running too slow? Is that a weird question? Can you even do such a thing? Does running slower break your brain?
I once tried to slow myself down and was running at about a 12 min mile to try to get longer distance at slower pace done and it felt like I was almost walking and not running and I started worrying about hurting myself because my posture completely changed and so I sped up. So I train closer to the mid to high 10's (trying to force myself slower but its really hard for me right now when I'm outside and easier when I'm on a treadmill to run slower) and race closer to the low to mid 9's. I'm wondering if that is ok? Maybe it is different if you are doing intervals right, since I do not take walk breaks?

I'm still trying to figure this all out.

I don't want to take over your journal with questions for dopeybadger, but are you ever afraid of injuring yourself running too slow? Is that a weird question? Can you even do such a thing? Does running slower break your brain?
I once tried to slow myself down and was running at about a 12 min mile to try to get longer distance at slower pace done and it felt like I was almost walking and not running and I started worrying about hurting myself because my posture completely changed and so I sped up. So I train closer to the mid to high 10's (trying to force myself slower but its really hard for me right now when I'm outside and easier when I'm on a treadmill to run slower) and race closer to the low to mid 9's. I'm wondering if that is ok? Maybe it is different if you are doing intervals right, since I do not take walk breaks?

The answer is yes, you can run too slow. The injuries that can occur by running too slow tend to occur to the bones and skeletal muscle. I choose to wear extra cushy shoes (Triumph ISO) for what I deem to be relatively slow for myself. However, even though you are going slower you still try to remain light on your feet. When slow running (like fast running), the most economical method is to barely lift the foot off the ground and to take many quick light steps. This reduces the impact on the joints as you are gliding across the ground rather than breaking/slamming your foot down. The slower you're going the tougher it gets to take lighter steps but its all relative. However, there is a point where you do need to start to kick your legs up but thats for shorter races for us normal people (or marathons for the elites).

The range I gave Ariel484 in Phase 1 is at the threshold of being too slow for her, but I did so because of her injury and recent inconsistency/lost desire in running. The paces prescribed to her where based on her recent 10K finishing time, although her previous 10K time last year suggest that she has the fitness level to be faster. Thus, Phase 2 was based on the belief that after recovering from her injury and being more consistent her fitness level would get closer to where she was last year. Her prescribed times will increase come 1/10/16 when she enters Phase 2 of the training plan, and subsequently she will start to take on many different paces (ranging from 9:04-13:02).

All the paces prescribed to Ariel484 were under the belief she would attempt to do them without taking walk breaks. If needed, then the walk break should add extra time to that single mile, but she should attempt to go back to the original prescribed pace for the remaining miles. Hence, don't try and make up for a walking break by trying to go faster than the prescribed pace for the rest of the mile.

If you want to talk more we can PM so that we don't take over her journal. Just send me a message.

The answer is yes, you can run too slow. The injuries that can occur by running too slow tend to occur to the bones and skeletal muscle. I choose to wear extra cushy shoes (Triumph ISO) for what I deem to be relatively slow for myself. However, even though you are going slower you still try to remain light on your feet. When slow running (like fast running), the most economical method is to barely lift the foot off the ground and to take many quick light steps. This reduces the impact on the joints as you are gliding across the ground rather than breaking/slamming your foot down. The slower you're going the tougher it gets to take lighter steps but its all relative. However, there is a point where you do need to start to kick your legs up but thats for shorter races for us normal people (or marathons for the elites).

The range I gave Ariel484 in Phase 1 is at the threshold of being too slow for her, but I did so because of her injury and recent inconsistency/lost desire in running. The paces prescribed to her where based on her recent 10K finishing time, although her previous 10K time last year suggest that she has the fitness level to be faster. Thus, Phase 2 was based on the belief that after recovering from her injury and being more consistent her fitness level would get closer to where she was last year. Her prescribed times will increase come 1/10/16 when she enters Phase 2 of the training plan, and subsequently she will start to take on many different paces (ranging from 9:04-13:02).

All the paces prescribed to Ariel484 were under the belief she would attempt to do them without taking walk breaks. If needed, then the walk break should add extra time to that single mile, but she should attempt to go back to the original prescribed pace for the remaining miles. Hence, don't try and make up for a walking break by trying to go faster than the prescribed pace for the rest of the mile.

If you want to talk more we can PM so that we don't take over her journal. Just send me a message.

Thanks @DopeyBadger I really am very interested in the things that you post. And I know everything is custom to the individual runner. I may come back to you post January WDW race weekend for some help figuring out a good training plan as I have an 8k, followed by a 10k followed by a challenge weekend that involved 5k one day and 10k the next and those are uncharted territories for me for races.
And I hope @Ariel484 you didn't take my post as saying you are slow...totally didn't mean it that way...I just was wondering if you can let me know how running slower feels for you as it is something I am trying to bring into my training as I start attempting longer runs (for me) more often.

Don't worry about taking over the journal...I actually had the same question about running too slowly so I'm glad you asked. I've already asked @DopeyBadger (Billy) a ton of questions so I wanted to give him a day off. ;)

I did do my run at 13:32/mile pace (well, that's what it was supposed to be...ended up more around 13:20/mile, oops) and I was afraid it was going to hurt...particularly in my feet because I've had that happen before where I slow down too much and it makes my feet hurt. Today it was fine until the last 0.25 miles or so - I did get an occasional twinge but it's fine now.

This is going to sound really dumb but it's sort of funny for me to read this post and remember that Ariel484 is me :teeth:

@roxymama for reference, these are the times he's referring to:

10K earlier this year in 1:02ish
10K last year in 57ish minutes --> definitely want to get back to this sort of pace...
And the injury is me throwing out my back at the end of July :sad:
Thanks @DopeyBadger I really am very interested in the things that you post. And I know everything is custom to the individual runner. I may come back to you post January WDW race weekend for some help figuring out a good training plan as I have an 8k, followed by a 10k followed by a challenge weekend that involved 5k one day and 10k the next and those are uncharted territories for me for races.
And I hope @Ariel484 you didn't take my post as saying you are slow...totally didn't mean it that way...I just was wondering if you can let me know how running slower feels for you as it is something I am trying to bring into my training as I start attempting longer runs (for me) more often.
Nope, I know that's not what you meant. :)

The run I did this morning (3.25 miles @ 13:20/mile pace) felt incredibly weird, but not bad - just different. Really the hardest part was at some point during the run when I realized that it meant I was going to be on the treadmill about 10 minutes longer than normal. :eek: But I never contemplated a walk break and I felt pretty relaxed the whole time (except for the occasional foot twinges toward the end I mentioned above...wondering if I just wasn't paying attention to my form by then?), so that was nice.

I actually kinda understand the going slower to go faster thing ... the way I see it (and correct me if I'm wrong), by going slower your''re conserving energy and wearing yourself out a little less, which gives you more energy to go faster on the fast runs.

It definitely sounds like the new plan will be an adjustment for you. But you have to change things up if you want to see different results. I think you'll adjust with time ... and who know, maybe in a few weeks this plan will be something that makes perfect sense and is easy to understand!

I actually kinda understand the going slower to go faster thing ... the way I see it (and correct me if I'm wrong), by going slower your''re conserving energy and wearing yourself out a little less, which gives you more energy to go faster on the fast runs.

The conserved energy is definitely a part of it. I've attached quite a few good articles that describe why slow running is so beneficial. As a summary of the articles,

-Slow running increases capillary development (increasing efficiency of oxygen/carb/waste transport), increased myoglobin (more oxygen to muscle), density and volume of mitochondria (produce more energy)
-Mitochondria Volume takes years of slowly increasing mileage to maximize
-Mitochondria Density peaks at 8-12 weeks within a single training cycle
-Always finish a workout believing you could have done more
-Because you're not pushing hard workouts all the time you reduce the chances of injury and over the long-haul improve better than a high-intensity training plan

From personal experience, I noticed a significant difference to the back of my calves during my last training cycle. Towards the end of the training when I was doing stretching I could physically feel all of my blood vessels bulging. This was a sign that they had grown and were providing significantly more transport power than I've had before.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-t...easy/#sts=Benefit 3: Mitochondria development

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-cor...rformance/#sts=The importance of Mitochondria

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/how-to-run-faster/

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/how-to-run-faster/

http://runnersconnect.net/running-infographic/10-reasons-runners-dont-run-easy-know/

The conserved energy is definitely a part of it. I've attached quite a few good articles that describe why slow running is so beneficial. As a summary of the articles,

-Slow running increases capillary development (increasing efficiency of oxygen/carb/waste transport), increased myoglobin (more oxygen to muscle), density and volume of mitochondria (produce more energy)
-Because you're not pushing hard workouts all the time you reduce the chances of injury and over the long-haul improve better than a high-intensity training plan

From personal experience, I noticed a significant difference to the back of my calves during my last training cycle. Towards the end of the training when I was doing stretching I could physically feel all of my blood vessels bulging. This was a sign that they had grown and were providing significantly more transport power than I've had before.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/aerobic-training-run-faster-by-running-easy/#sts=Benefit 3: Mitochondria development

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/long-term-development-why-workout-times-dont-always-translate-to-race-day-performance/#sts=The importance of Mitochondria

http://runnersconnect.net/running-infographic/10-reasons-runners-dont-run-easy-know/

Love the science!

So, ummm, mitochondrial fitness is like DVC points? You can accumulate them to a point, but they may not all be available by your runDisney weekend? Lol I think I finally understood DVC via a running article...

With my running group I posted that my goal for 2016 is to *gulp* run a sub 2 half. I got lots of advice and here's someone's response that I think is worth sharing (and I also assume that's the point of a public training journal- to get other views and discussions and encouragement for your goals :goodvibes ):

#You can get 20 answers from 20 people because everyone is different, but there are a couple of key components that should be reiterated in every successful plan. I have been asked this question several times recently, so I have been putting a lot of thought into it. For those that don't know me, I recently took over 4 min. off my half PR between Feb. and Nov. and I honestly think below is the reason why.

1) Persistently Consistent. I have not missed many work outs. I have been fortunate to get through this year injury free and that has allowed me to not miss too many runs.

2) A lot of slow miles. Lots and Lots of slow miles. Between 5/1/2015 and 8/31/2015, I ran roughly 800 miles (I built slowly to this - nobody needs to just go out and hit 50 MPW, more on that later) My average pace during that time frame was 6.0 MPH, or 10 min. miles. To put this in perspective, this is about 3 min. a mile slower than my half marathon pace and about 2:30 per mile slower than my Marathon Pace. LOTS OF SLOW MILES.

3) Hill work. The avg. elevation change per run on the above time frame is 200 feet. I have learned to attack the hills this year. I have focused on getting stronger on them and it has paid off.

**** and I have had several conversations about this lately. Race specific training should be no more than 5-8 weeks prior to your race. Everything before that is base building. I build my plans backwards from race date. There are 18 weeks until RnR *** [*names and cities taken out for privacy]. Race specific training would start around 1/17/2016. This will include maintaining your weekly mileage at the distance you have had for the prior month and changing an easy run to speed work. From now through 1/17, I would focus on 4 week blocks.

Week 1: Currently weekly mileage + 10% (your long run distance is actually good for a half, so probably add the distance to a mid-week easy run)
Week 2 - Week 1 mileage plus 10%
Week 3 - Week 2 mileage plus 10%
Week 4 - reduce to about 1/3 of week 1

Block 2
Week 1 - Week 2 mileage from the previous block
Week 2 - last weeks + 10%
Week 3 - last weeks + 10%
Week 4 - reduce to about a 1/3 of week 1, block 2

During the base building blocks, you can have some key runs - a tempo at your HM pace and a cut back run (starts at easy pace and each mile is gradually faster until the last mile is within 20 sec. of HM pace) but everything else needs to be easy. conversational. slow. slow. slow. There is a purpose to each work out. These slow miles will build your capillary, blood vessels, increase your blood volume and carry you through the longer distances. It is also key use Easy/hard/easy/hard pattern. Back a hard work out up with easy. Back to Back hard work outs can really take a toll on your body.

Sorry it is so long, but there isn't a short easy answer.#

So much to mull over. It is so awesome that DopeyBadger is helping you out (and has shown up on this board now too! :wave:)
Anyway, Ariel484, thanks for sharing your journey on all of these things. I like reading your jounrey and oddly enough keeps me motivated in my own! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

It definitely sounds like the new plan will be an adjustment for you. But you have to change things up if you want to see different results. I think you'll adjust with time ... and who know, maybe in a few weeks this plan will be something that makes perfect sense and is easy to understand!
I have some research to do, for sure. Part of it too is that the guys that made this plan that mine is based off of are big believers in active recovery and doing the long runs on fatigued legs...or something like that. I'm not very far into the book yet. :p

It definitely has been an adjustment so far...mostly because the runs are taking longer. But I haven't felt the need for any walk breaks at all, which I guess is a good thing since that was DopeyBadger's intention in making the plan. I feel like I had been sort of putting pressure on myself to do training runs fast, so this drastic change in pace has obviously taken that away, which has been really nice. I just need to remember that I need to wake up earlier to get these runs done so I'm not late to work!

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/aerobic-training-run-faster-by-running-easy/#sts=Benefit 3: Mitochondria development

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/long-term-development-why-workout-times-dont-always-translate-to-race-day-performance/#sts=The importance of Mitochondria

Oh good, lunchtime reading. :thumbsup2
Love the science!

So, ummm, mitochondrial fitness is like DVC points? You can accumulate them to a point, but they may not all be available by your runDisney weekend? Lol I think I finally understood DVC via a running article...
:rotfl2: and your DVC analogy made me understand running better!
With my running group I posted that my goal for 2016 is to *gulp* run a sub 2 half. I got lots of advice and here's someone's response that I think is worth sharing (and I also assume that's the point of a public training journal- to get other views and discussions and encouragement for your goals :goodvibes ):
Totally. I'm liking all of the discussion here!

I would love to run a sub-2 half someday. Not sure how entirely realistic it is...I'm still working on getting until 2:10. :crazy2:
#You can get 20 answers from 20 people because everyone is different, but there are a couple of key components that should be reiterated in every successful plan. I have been asked this question several times recently, so I have been putting a lot of thought into it. For those that don't know me, I recently took over 4 min. off my half PR between Feb. and Nov. and I honestly think below is the reason why.

1) Persistently Consistent. I have not missed many work outs. I have been fortunate to get through this year injury free and that has allowed me to not miss too many runs.

2) A lot of slow miles. Lots and Lots of slow miles. Between 5/1/2015 and 8/31/2015, I ran roughly 800 miles (I built slowly to this - nobody needs to just go out and hit 50 MPW, more on that later) My average pace during that time frame was 6.0 MPH, or 10 min. miles. To put this in perspective, this is about 3 min. a mile slower than my half marathon pace and about 2:30 per mile slower than my Marathon Pace. LOTS OF SLOW MILES.

3) Hill work. The avg. elevation change per run on the above time frame is 200 feet. I have learned to attack the hills this year. I have focused on getting stronger on them and it has paid off.

**** and I have had several conversations about this lately. Race specific training should be no more than 5-8 weeks prior to your race. Everything before that is base building. I build my plans backwards from race date. There are 18 weeks until RnR *** [*names and cities taken out for privacy]. Race specific training would start around 1/17/2016. This will include maintaining your weekly mileage at the distance you have had for the prior month and changing an easy run to speed work. From now through 1/17, I would focus on 4 week blocks.

Week 1: Currently weekly mileage + 10% (your long run distance is actually good for a half, so probably add the distance to a mid-week easy run)
Week 2 - Week 1 mileage plus 10%
Week 3 - Week 2 mileage plus 10%
Week 4 - reduce to about 1/3 of week 1

Block 2
Week 1 - Week 2 mileage from the previous block
Week 2 - last weeks + 10%
Week 3 - last weeks + 10%
Week 4 - reduce to about a 1/3 of week 1, block 2

During the base building blocks, you can have some key runs - a tempo at your HM pace and a cut back run (starts at easy pace and each mile is gradually faster until the last mile is within 20 sec. of HM pace) but everything else needs to be easy. conversational. slow. slow. slow. There is a purpose to each work out. These slow miles will build your capillary, blood vessels, increase your blood volume and carry you through the longer distances. It is also key use Easy/hard/easy/hard pattern. Back a hard work out up with easy. Back to Back hard work outs can really take a toll on your body.

Sorry it is so long, but there isn't a short easy answer.#

So much to mull over. It is so awesome that DopeyBadger is helping you out (and has shown up on this board now too! :wave:)
That sounds like a lot of what Billy is saying...I swear I had not heard of these benefits of adding in the slower miles before. :confused3

If only 10:00/mile was my easy pace...what must that be like?! :rotfl2:
Anyway, Ariel484, thanks for sharing your journey on all of these things. I like reading your jounrey and oddly enough keeps me motivated in my own! Have a happy Thanksgiving!
:thumbsup2 I'm glad (and a little surprised) that I'm getting more comments on this training plan switch than on anything else I've put in this thread - maybe I need to write less about running clothes and purses and more about actually running?! :rotfl: Fancy that! But seriously, knowing people are reading is going to help me a lot, I think. I said upthread that I've wanted to try different training plans before but then would find myself just going back to the Higdon plans because they are familiar and comfortable for me, but I really do want to see this one through and I think I'll be more likely to do that if I feel like I'm being held publicly accountable, in a way. ::yes:: And Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! :goodvibes

Please don't give up your yoga. The stretching, strengthening, and core work are soooo good for us runners. It's one of the things that kept me injury free for Comrades the past two years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter