10 ways you are getting ripped off.

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by eliza61, May 18, 2010.

1. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

I know a lot of women are buying those ship-shape sneakers. there are a couple of different manufacturers. Evidently, there is no evidence they work.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109576/10-ways-youre-getting-ripped-off

Here are a few other supposedly "sucker deals" we are falling for.

Fitness Shoes

The Rip-Off: Reebok calls it the EasyTone; Skechers, the ShapeUp. These curved-sole shoes, transforming people into human rocking chairs, cost up to $130 and promise to keep you fit even while grocery shopping. During 2009 sales grew 14-fold to $245 million, estimates market researcher NPD. One problem: "They mostly affect the foot and ankle," says Dr. Michael Ross, director of Rothman Institute's Sports Performance Lab, which counts the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies and Flyers among its clients. "There is no evidence they will help you tone better or quicker than a regular shoe."

How to Avoid It: Join a gym.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bored

bored Mouseketeer

Shape Ups did wonders for the wife. She always battles terrible blisters anytime a ton of walking is involved. Wore shape ups on last DW trip and walked for 7 days straight with no blisters (and more importantly no complaining):thumbsup2! May not have helped her shape up, but they helped in the blister dept so they were worth the money.

4. JenGC

JenGC DIS Veteran

My mother had a horrible knee problem. She was considering surgery. Her friend told her about the shape ups and within a week she saw a difference. Now she goes up and down our stairs like a NORMAL person. She was taking one at a time and was in pain on every step. She just can't believe that it works so well. So while it might not have any scientific backing that it actually helps you lose weight or shapes you up, it does WONDERS for alignment.

5. tinkmom2

tinkmom2 DIS Veteran

I have the Shape Ups and I love them! I have knee and feet problems and find them pretty comfortable. I wear them on the treadmill at the gym. I feel a difference in my calves and butt after I wear them. They do no good if you don't use them! The whole point of them is walking and being active.

6. santa's surpriz

santa's surpriz DIS Veteran

I bought the Reebok Easytones, and the are the comfortable shoes ever! They have done wonders for my plantar fascitius. I cannot put a price tag on that sort of relief!

7. HunnyPots

HunnyPots DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is

I took the article to mean that they are not the easy fix that consumers expect. For instance, putting them on once a week and walking around the grocery store for 30 minutes will not give you the legs of a super model;). On the other hand, if you walk 30 minutes EVERY DAY in any shoe, you will see some improvement.

It did state that the shoes helped in the areas of feet and ankles and, for me, that would make them worth the money as I have weak ankles and a screwed up achiles tendon. They probably wouldn't sell as well if they marketed the shoes for those problems though. If you wanna make money you gotta jump on the weight loss/ fitness bandwagon.

8. deerhart

deerhart DIS Veteran

they have lots and lots of cushion and are much softer on the joints. Also, they work your calves like crazy going up hills.

The first week I wore them, my back and stomach were very sore from the shift in posture from wearing the shoes. Now when I put on my regular tennis shoes, they feel weird now.

9. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

I'm starting to get interested after reading this. I'm 50 years old and feel like I'm starting to walk like an old woman due to sore feet. I don't care about the getting in shape claims, but if they can make my sore feet better, I'm sold (I've also been diagnosed with PF.)

10. Ephany

Ephany DIS Veteran

I didn't buy mine for the 'shape up' factor. I bought them because I saw hundreds of reviews that all agreed that if you work on your feet all day, your feet will hurt less. I've never paid that much for a pair of work shoes before and they're well worth it. These are the best work shoes I've ever owned and I don't feel ripped off one bit.

11. lovetoscrap

lovetoscrap Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there. Moderator

Give them a try horseshowmom. My podiatrist recommended them and I have been wearing this style shoe for over a year now and they are much better for my PF. I also have tried the Fit Flops and they are also more comfortable on my painful heels.

12. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

I definitely will. :thumbsup2

I'm sick to death of my feet hurting. :headache:

13. dreamin_disney

dreamin_disney DIS Veteran

I'm getting interested in these shoes. Does anyone wear them while fast walking on treadmill? I could use all the help getting better legs-lol! A nice buttom wont be to bad either-lol!

14. PinkRhombus

PinkRhombus need...more...coffee

I bought some of the cheaper ones at Kmart to wear on the few days a month that I'm on my feet for hours, standing in the same place. It KILLS my back if I don't have these on.

A friend bought the Sketcher ones and they started splitting apart about 3 weeks after she bought them. Took them back and went back to the Kmart ones.

15. MomRN

MomRN DIS Veteran

A few of the nurses I work with swear by them, but not for the "shaping" up effect. More for the feeling of your legs falling off after a 12 hr shift. I was afraid of the opposite- that it would make them feel worse- but I've heard enough people recommend them that they will be my next work shoe purchase.

16. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

LOL. so maybe they got the wrong advertisement agency. The shoes are called "shape ups" so I guess the article is saying they don't do what they advertise.

Skechers home page says "Firms calf muscles, tones and firms thigh muscles, firms buttocks muscles" :lmao:

Seems like they do every thing else but that. funny

17. tinkmom2

tinkmom2 DIS Veteran

I walk up to 3.5 on the treadmill. It does make the bottoms of my feet tired for some reason so I altenate speed. I notice a difference in posture and soreness in my tush and calves.

18. amez

amez Mouseketeer

I could have typed this-my mom has the same problem and loves the shoes.

19. momtosam

momtosam Oh, Schmootsie-poo!

I just spent a whole day touring NYC in a pair of Sketches Tone-Ups sandals. They were amazingly comfortable. I would have never thought that I could do NYC for a whole day in a thong sandal.

20. PADISFAM

PADISFAM <font color=orange><b>Princess to 3 Princes<br></b

I have the EasyTones & Shape Ups, I love them both! I do notice a difference in my lower legs & butt (slightly more so w/ the Reebok ones), they are both very comfortable. I have never paid that much for shoes (waaay to cheap) but I don't feel ripped off at all (frankly I want to get an additional pair of the Easytones).

21. dgthree

dgthree DIS Veteran

I get it. You think they're a rip off.

I don't necessarily think my legs are in any better shape from wearing FitFlops, but my feet are definitely happier. That's worth the price of the shoes right there. I have the boots, two pair of clogs, and am waiting on a pair of thong sandals for the summer...

FWIW - if you think the ShapeUps, Fit Flops & Easy Tones are pricey, check out MBT Shoes.
    http://us.mbt.com/Default.aspx?lang=en-US