1 double or 2 single strollers?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Dominion, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Dominion

Dominion Mouseketeer

We are taking our two kids, ages 6 and 3 to WDW for 7 days next fall. I'm wondering whether we should do 2 singles or 1 double stroller? I am leaning towards renting something like a city mini double, so that I could walk both kids around while my husband gets Fast passes, or so its easier for one of us to stay with the stroller/kids when we split up to use the bathroom, etc. But I'm wondering if there are times when having 2 strollers might be more convenient if we needed to split up. Would it be easier to navigate crowds with one double or 2 singles? What about going into restaurants, etc...

I would love to hear from families with similarly aged kids - what did you decide to do and how it worked out!

We are staying on a monorail resort and driving our own car there if that makes a difference. I don't think we would really need to use the buses.

Even though the girls are about 2.5 years apart, the older one is tall and skinny and weighs only 5 lbs more so weight difference shouldn't be an issue either.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sommergirl25

sommergirl25 Mouseketeer

We just got back from the World with my 6year old and almost 3 year old. We had a citi mini double and loved it. I was so happy that we got one. They were big enough for them to sleep comfortably and small enough to maneuver easily.

4. brownierose

brownierose Mouseketeer

We r thinking of doing two umbrella strollers. I like to get in and out quickly sometimes and feel like the double will be too big esp trying to get on the buses (I don't want to hold it up or take up too much room)

5. Dominion

Dominion Mouseketeer

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you! What company did you rent it from? Did that part work out well?

6. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

I say double so one parent can push both if needed. If you need to split up, the 6 year old can walk for a little while(or better yet I hear daddy's shoulders is a great place to ride!). Just my opinion. We did a double for our kids when they were younger, 2.5 years apart.

7. fortheloveofminnie

fortheloveofminnie Earning My Ears

We have used a sit and stand double stroller at those ages (3 year old sitting in the front and 6 year old on the jump seat) and it worked well for us. We have four kids and when they were very little we used 1 regular stroller and a double! But just having one stroller, even if it is heavier and bulkier with two kids is easier than having 2 strollers. At least that was our experience. If you have a stroller mindset (you know you need one or two to haul around kids/stuff) I'm not sure it matters. My advise -- just use ones your kids are comfortable in and used to riding in. And have fun!

8. theAfamily

theAfamily Earning My Ears

i would get a city mini double! If you guys split up just have the parents with the 3 year old take the stroller. 6 year old will be able to walk for a little while. we use the citi mini double with my 6 year old twins and 2 year old twins(one 2 year old and one 6 year old in each) and that works out really well. They are very easy to navigate and fit bigger kids well. In your case, i would not have two separate single strollers. There is really no need and it will be a pain on buses and such. Have an awesome trip!

9. 6disneykids

6disneykids Mouseketeer

I would do a double stroller rather than 2 single strollers. The 6 year old can walk if you split up. I have found that in all the chaos of stroller parking for different attractions, often times your stroller can be moved by a CM who's job is to re-park to allow for more strollers, if you have 2, there is the possibility that your strollers will not be together, whereas if you have a double you only need to look for one stroller.

10. sommergirl25

sommergirl25 Mouseketeer

We used Baby Wheels Orlando. They are an amazing company. We used busses, monorail, and boat and never had a problem with folding up and getting on or off. We had a system with getting the kids out as the bus pulled up and I took kids an hubby took stroller. The double is light weight and really doesn't take up a lot of room.

11. Betty Rohrer

Betty Rohrer DIS Veteran

guess i have to be different the 2 singles worked best for us. with kids that ages there were rides that older wanted to go on that younger could not ride. made it a lot easier to separate when one could take one and other take one in a different direction. would have had many meltdowns if yunger had seen older in line and he could not ride. just something else to consider.

12. jessicamouse

jessicamouse Mouseketeer

We have two boys ages five and three. The first time we went to Disney we did a double stroller and the second time used to umbrella strollers. We made the switch primarily because sometimes the boys just needed a break from each other. Too many magical late nights in a row made them crabby with each other, and It was helpful the second time around to have the option of splitting up. Also the umbrella strollers are much easier to navigate and if you don't want one you can collapse it down and throw it over your shoulder no problem.

13. daisymomof4

daisymomof4 Mouseketeer

Two singles worked best for us (at wdw and dl - we only need one now). We never split up to get fast passes, but my DH could have easily left me somewhere and come back if he didn't take one child with him. He'd be okay with that but I know not everyone would, lol.

Leaving the parks at the end of the night was when having two were most handy. Just a little easier to say I'll meet you at X-spot and make our own way out then try to slog through with a double. And, it was easy having umbrella-fold strollers on the bus.

14. AshleeH

AshleeH DIS Veteran

I would say double (whether it's yours or you rent it). There might be times when you split up and if one parent is stuck with two single strollers for even a small amount of time, that could be a hassle, unless you park one in stroller parking and have the 6 year old walk.

We used a sit and stand for our boys when they were 7 and 4 (the oldest didn't ride much, but it was a nice place to take a break when he needed to rest) and I would recommend that one to anyone with kids with that age difference. We bought the Joovy Caboose and loved it!

15. amomma23

amomma23 DIS Veteran

We've done both. Last trip our kids were 6 and 3 and we did 2 singles. We thought it was much easier. The kids liked having their own space. It was also way easier to navigate shops and other tight spaces.

16. RNMom1969

RNMom1969 Earning My Ears

Getting ready to head out on our third trip and our girls are 3 and 5. First trip was singles, then a sit and stand now back to a sbs jogger. Singles were ok but I was in charge of girls and hubby had strollers.....folding 2 and handling them on the bus was more cumbersome than 1. Sit and stand was fine....till dd fell asleep and nearly fell out. So this year, back to a double.

17. SweetMissy

SweetMissy DIS Veteran

Double would definitely be easier. We've rented from magic strollers and kingdom strollers. Had a great experience both times. They fold up very easily. Good luck deciding!

18. texasroni75

texasroni75 Mouseketeer

We took 2 umbrella strollers when our youngest two were 2 and 5 at the time. Definitely easier to navigate and less cumbersome for using Disney bus transportation to and from the parks. It was also great because we could split up and do different things depending on who was cranky, who was napping, who needed the potty, etc. Just make sure DH knows how to fold up and unfold the strollers! LOL! I say this because mine wasn't familiar with them and the first few tries he was getting frustrated with it - but once he got the hang of it, everything worked out beautifully.

19. nhmommy

nhmommy Mouseketeer

There was a company that was doing free rental of city mini strollers just pay insurance, but I can't remember the name and I cant search right now people were speaking highly of them but I'm not sure the promotion is still going on Maybe someone else knows the name.

Oh and I would go with a double myself its hard enough to walk as a family without trying to push two strollers.

20. nhmommy

nhmommy Mouseketeer

Just googled it it's APPLE strollers the promo is still going. I have no personal experience but they were saying good things.

21. dlove28

dlove28 Missin' WDW