1/24 Dream-what's the deal?

divaprincess

Earning My Ears
A few weeks ago I checked the occupancy of the Dream for the 1/24 sailing & it was only 40% full. Now it's over 97% full. Is it normal for a cruise to fill up that quickly in just a few short weeks? If you go to the DCL website you can't even get the date to come up.

Anyone know? Hmmm, maybe Brad & Angelina taking up the extra 55%?:rotfl2:

Sorry i dont have an answer for you but how do you check how full the cruise is? Thanks

divaprincess said:
Not sure if we are suppose to post about other forums here but let's just say, Cruise Fish . net :cool1:

Doesn't that just tell you the % of cabin types available and not actually how full the ship is?

Our cruise, 1/19 fantasy, did something similar. I know the *gt rates came out, and are gone. Maybe that's how they filled it.

I wondered what happened as well! I'm sailing that cruise and was looking forward to it being less crowded, not full! As OP stated, it's no longer listed on the DCL site and is marked through as "gone" on the other site mentioned.

I'm pretty sure http://www.cruisefish.com only lists the percentage of categories still available, not the percentage of staterooms (at least, that seems to be what it indicates on the Cruise Finder pages).

So let me do some math :teacher:- since there are 31 categories, 40% would actually mean that 12 categories had rooms available. They could have been just one stateroom. It looks like the only thing available now is 00T, so 11 of those categories booked.

Assuming the categories fill at the same rate, you can have pretty much a sold out cruise and still have 100% availability in Cruisefish - because 1 stateroom at each category is available. But that's only 31 staterooms, meaning the other 1219 staterooms (or 97% of the ship) could already booked.

Stateroom availability doesn't even really give you an idea of how many people are on board. if those 1250 staterooms were all booked as singles, you're at 31% occupancy for the whole ship (assuming a passenger capacity of 4000, or that there are 4000 beds to accommodate people on the ship. This number is more accurate for Disney than other lines, but I will not assume it counts total occupancy in every room). So depending on the number of people booked *in* a room, you could have a completely sold-out cruise and the ship is still seemingly empty!

Ouch. My brain hurts (though I'll admit to getting a calculator out on the overall capacity bit). Too much math at 7am on a Sunday! :crazy2:

I like Cruisefish to check at a glance what cruises I'm looking at have availability in the cabin type I'm interested in. At best, it tells you what categories to check for on the DCL website to see what rooms are available on your cruise - if you get 8 possible staterooms in that category on the DCL site, you know it's fairly open. If you only get one two, you know that category is mostly booked. I usually do this by starting a new reservation and checking for possible staterooms.

Please remember that CM discounts are not to be discussed on this board, when offered, how much ,etc.

MJ

Unless you have access to DCL's computer, there is no way to know how full a cruise is.

Cruisefish does not tell you how full the cruise is; it tells you what percentage of CATEGORIES are still being sold. You don't know whether there is 1 cabin or 100 cabins available to purchase in that category.

OK, how available categories can fill quickly--DCL books a bunch of "unassigned" cabins thru GTY bookings (11CGTY, for instance) and if available, thru *GT bookings. At some point, someone from inventory control takes those reservations and assigns them to real cabin numbers. Those assignments could result in many cabin categories being no longer available for sale even though there were no new bookings--DCL just matched up existing bookings with cabin numbers.

And finally, wnen specials are announced...restricted to specific groups or not, a cruise can fill fast. Examples would include special rates for kids free, TAs, CMs, military, FL residents, as well as the *GT rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter