“They gave us an extra trash basket!” A Surprise Trip 6 day POR. Nov and Dec 2014. Updated 2/8

How Blessed you are with all 3 children. And how proud you must be of all of them bit especially Michael for making such a special choice to open up his heart to God's love. And can't wait to hear how surprised they were and how long it took them to figure it out.

Thank you! We are truly blessed!

How exciting for your family and Michael, for him to take that step and be Baptized and accept Jesus Christ. Your Thanksgiving meal looks awesome and makes me long for some ham! I agree, I rather have ham for Thanksgiving and Christmas! I can't wait to see their reaction to learning they are going to Disney!!

I don't really like dark meat so I only eat Turkey breast and even the most moist turkey breast seems to dry to me!

I am so happy to find your TR. I am sitting here enjoying my Saturday morning ritual of coffee and Dis boards crying happy tears over the wonderful news of your sons baptism. God is good all the time! Looking forward to reading more.

I will get another post up this week!

Great job on your Trip Report -I'm REALLY enjoying it! Thanks for sharing.....

Travel Night and...

Friday morning Nov 28th. Jennifer let me sleep in because of the impending drive through the night travel plan. We had an uneventful day. I broke out the tablet and showed all of my in laws where we were staying, A Frozen Holiday Wish, Celebrate the Magic, etc on youtube. I probably bored the crud out of most of them however I had one sister in law (Tammy) asking her husband when they could go!! I went in to my "Disney Travel Agent Mode" as Jen likes to call it. I got out a short spiel of value resorts, dining plans, etc... Me the guy who has never been! :rolleyes:. We ate breakfast, we ate lunch, and around 3PM I decided it was Reveal Time!

...the big? reveal.

Ok so I racked my brain on trying something imaginative or fun way to reveal the trip and I never could. Some of you trip reporters are so creative. I looked high and low. I think I sort of limited my options with the surprise trip. Jennifer told me quit sweating such a trivial thing... one of your biggest dreams is about to happen.

I decided I would bring them all in and sit them down on couch and see if they could figure out what the Magic Band box could be for.

MagicBands_zpskms9c8qs.jpg

So around 3pm rolls around and I gather the children around couch and sit them down. I don't even really remember what I said all that much but basically put the box down and said that I had a surprise and the clue was in this box.

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20313_zpstrpvrgyb.jpg

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20322_zpsqv1evuq2.jpg

(sorry blurry photo)

Without missing beat my middle child Nathan says... "I don't think I should be wearing jewelry Dad." Chuckles all around...

About 15 secs past before my Michael ventured a guess... "Are we going to Disney World?" Almost a wishful thinking guess from his point. I said "Yes we are leaving Gram's, driving through the night and when they woke up they would be at the Happiest Place on Earth!"

Michael still half way didn't believe me because I am jokester and prankster in real life. He just kept saying "Really!?" each time a little louder than last time.

Mattie spent her time guessing time desperately trying to get her pink band. I was like a Kung Fu master blocking her little hands getting in to the box!

Ok so big secret revealed and the kids were happy. I took a nap around 3:30 to 5:00pm and woke up just in time for Dinner (left over Thanksgiving). We got the kids all bathed and all packed by 7pm. I invested in a roof mount rain proof cargo system for our van this trip and I tell you it was worth every penny to me! I wanted to be able to lay down the boys seats somewhat for sleeping. We have a 2013 Toyota Sienna van and while fairly spacious all of the suitcases and gear make it cramped. The cargo system allowed me to put our large suitcase, two carry on bags, 6 pillows, and 3 quilts. It was quite nice to have the extra room to spread out.

On Our Way!

I wanted to be on road by 8PM which by my calculations gave us plenty of time to get to Lake City Florida at I-10 and I-75 by 6AM for some breakfast and a break. I took first of multiple 5 Hour Energy shots (more on this choice around breakfast time).

We got on the road and I put in my Google "Create your own map" overlay for Android Maps feature. I had each way point checked in. We don't have a DVD player system in the car but I did have my 2013 Google Nexus Tablet I had bought last Christmas. I had downloaded about 10 SD kids movies. We loaded up Frozen of course because that is what little princess: wanted to watch. The boys gave in because they knew she would be asleep soon

We made it a grand total of 36 miles and 8:40PM to Opelousas LA before "I need to go to bathroom and I'm hungry hit us" So we stopped at McDonalds and I got kids dollar menu while they went to the bathroom. I got a McCafe coffee because having a 5 hour energy was simply not enough! I was caffeine loading! We continued on and soon we were in Lafayette and turned on to I-10 from I-49. We went through Baton Rouge across the Mississippi River and then down to New Orleans and finally around Midnight we hit Mississippi. The Nathan and Mattie fell asleep after Mississippi river bridge and Michael finally sometime around 11pm. We stopped at around midnight north of Biloxi where I downed another 5 hour energy and water. Bathroom breaks for me and kids slept at stop. Gassed up and headed on...

I was feeling really good and not sleepy. Jennifer fell asleep too after Biloxi so it was just me. I listed to music and talk radio and about an hour later we were in Mobile around 12:45 AM. I need to take a moment and say that Mobile is beautiful at night! The three big buildings were Red White and Blue. Then through the tunnel and the USS Alabama museum ship. I would love to go back and visit.

Everyone slept and in about 3 hours we were outside of Tallahassee. I had to use the restroom so we stopped at a rest stop and Nathan and I went because he woke up. By this time it is 4am?! I am fairly awake from 2 Five Hour energy and 2 big coffees but I felt a little sleepy so I took my 3rd 5 Hour Energy. I think this one did me in because as we approached Lake City and our Breakfast at Cracker Barrel at 6 Am I was getting antsy and woozy.

Next Up...

Worst Cracker Barrel Breakfast Ever or Was I Stroking Out on Caffeine?

Sounds like you made pretty good time! I can't wait to read about your breakfast! I love your writing style, very entertaining! :D

Mobile at night is beautiful. And something tells me, a stomach revolt after all that caffeine is coming :crazy2:
Don't leave us hanging

We drove straight home from Orlando to Houston one year and let me tell you, it was a miserable last 4 hours! I can't sleep in the car, plus I was making sure hubby was staying awake. I'm a little nervous about where this story is heading at this point but hopefully the combo of 5 hour energy drinks and Cracker Barrel didn't put too much of a damper on your trip!

Ok, just reading about the 5 hour energy drinks is making me feel like you probably did by drinking them :crazy2::crazy2:

I'm always amazed by anyone who chooses to drive down...I just couldn't do it. I'd need a vacation from the car ride before starting my Disney vacation, lol!!

Can't wait to hear how you felt when you arrived! I LOVE first timer reactions :)

Awesome start to the TR! I'm excited to hear about all your firsts! Thanks for sharing the bit about your oldest son, too! How exciting that he began a relationship with Jesus!

Sounds like you made pretty good time! I can't wait to read about your breakfast! I love your writing style, very entertaining! :D

Thank you, I am glad those reading are having a good time!

Mobile at night is beautiful. And something tells me, a stomach revolt after all that caffeine is coming :crazy2:
Don't leave us hanging

Mobile was amazing! I sort of woke up my wife and oldest. They were too sleepy to appreciate it.

We drove straight home from Orlando to Houston one year and let me tell you, it was a miserable last 4 hours! I can't sleep in the car, plus I was making sure hubby was staying awake. I'm a little nervous about where this story is heading at this point but hopefully the combo of 5 hour energy drinks and Cracker Barrel didn't put too much of a damper on your trip!

My drive home was broken up thankfully but much about that later!

Ok, just reading about the 5 hour energy drinks is making me feel like you probably did by drinking them :crazy2::crazy2:

I'm always amazed by anyone who chooses to drive down...I just couldn't do it. I'd need a vacation from the car ride before starting my Disney vacation, lol!!

Can't wait to hear how you felt when you arrived! I LOVE first timer reactions :)

It is easy to say I would drive but I am very nervous flier! I really love road trips too!

Awesome start to the TR! I'm excited to hear about all your firsts! Thanks for sharing the bit about your oldest son, too! How exciting that he began a relationship with Jesus!

Thank you!

Following along! Cannot wait to hear more about your arrival!

Maybe tonight I can finish!

Breakfast and that Final Push to Disney World

As I mentioned I took a 3rd 5 Hour Energy shot in the wee waking hours of Saturday Nov 29th. About 15 minutes outside of Lake Jackson I started feeling very jumpy and woozy. It could also be blood sugar. I had not eaten very much since 10pm the previous night but I am betting it was the metric TON of caffeine I dosed myself with. It got real bad in the parking lot to Cracker Barrel. I had the shakes and my knees were weak. The boys were awake and Mattie had woke up about 5 minutes prior to reaching Cracker Barrel. Mattie can sometimes wake up crying for unknown reasons and if that happens it can mean about 30 minutes of being hyper sensitive. I was super relieved she was smiling and happy! All of them were tired. Mattie probably got the most sleep, then Nathan, Michael and finally Jennifer. All and all we were all pretty happy outside of my tweaked out feelings.

Here is me going in to Cracker Barrel with Mattie and Nathan. I am amazed I didn't fall down! Did I mention it got really cold that morning?! 31 degrees at 6am.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20343_zpsq2jzrwme.jpg

Michael threw caution to the wind and ran inside with no jacket until Jennifer asked him to stop and take a picture. He was not amused!
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20345_zpsxaq2pdog.jpg

So we get in and sit down. I am just feeling wigged out and weird at this point. I decided to order steak, eggs, bacon, and some grits thinking my problem could be solved with protein and fat. The order came and absolutely nothing looked appealing. The 'steak' was thin and all gristle. The bacon was hard as a rock and cold. The eggs while over easy looked... microwaved and felt rubbery. The grits were good. So I stopped trying to eat the 'steak' and eggs and focused on my bacon and grits. I know Cracker Barrel is not gourmet food but it is usually very serviceable meal. Not this time. I managed to get through breakfast and not throw up. I went to bathroom and washed my face. I felt a bit better but still woozy.

We filled the tank back up and started our way down I75 with Jennifer driving. I was going to try and get a power nap. The plan was to wake me up just before the I75 / Turnpike split. I put seat down and closed my eyes still wishing the nausea away and the next thing I knew Jennifer woke me up at the gas station right where we were supposed to be. I swore I had just closed my eyes! I had slept an 1.5 hours. The good thing was that all of my crazy symptoms had dissappeared!

So I went ahead and topped tank off and we got on the Turnpike and headed towards Disney World. We turned on to FL 427 and then finally I exited Western Way. A minute later we saw this...

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20354_zpsbxevvg21.jpg

This was a special moment for me:jumping1:. The kid were happy, wife was happy, and something dang near 10 years in the making was finally here! I was HAPPY!:dancer:
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20355_zpsonlpc3fz.jpg

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20360_zpss4036lme.jpg

Mattie had fallen asleep and missed the Disney World entrance.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20359_zpsvaxt0env.jpg

We turned off of Western Way on to Beuna Vista Dr and we followed the signs. We passed signs for Coronado Springs, Hollywood Studios, Caribbean Resort.. I was actually surprised at the length the 'outside world' is shielded from seeing the resorts and theme parks and when you are on the resort grounds how little of the main roads you see. You really only saw signs of these places and peek a boo type views of the resorts. Very immersive! We turned on to Bonnet Creek Parkway and saw signs for Key West and Port Orleans French Quarter until finally we saw... Home.

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20366_zpsv1kktxpn.jpg

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%20369_zpshswa555m.jpg

Then something I almost forgot about our trip... We were there during the Christmas season. Our first wreath we noticed! This paled in comparison to my next festive view!
P1010144_zpshol9pdlx.jpg

Next Up!

Check In, resort exploring, a SERIOUSLY uncomfortable moment, and our room!

subbing! really enjoyed reading your entire report this morning over coffee! can't wait to see how your visit went!

The best feeling in the world driving under that archway and into your resort entrance!! Can't wait to read the next installment!!

Jay

subbing! really enjoyed reading your entire report this morning over coffee! can't wait to see how your visit went!

Thank you! I am continually surprised that people are interested :)

The best feeling in the world driving under that archway and into your resort entrance!! Can't wait to read the next installment!!

Jay

Hi Jay. It was a surreal experience. I had seen so many pictures and videos of that entrance it still did not do it justice!

Jay

What a great writer you are, very suspenseful report! Can't wait to read more. I am so happy you really did make it there after dreaming about it for so many years.

I am really enjoying your report and subscribed. Looking forward to more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter