“They gave us an extra trash basket!” A Surprise Trip 6 day POR. Nov and Dec 2014. Updated 2/8

Awesome post! What a great dad saving the day! Sometimes it's hard to remember the little ones hearts are so fragile. Cool part is the kids got both the ferry & monorail ride. To quote Stacy CUH-LASS-ICK! Lol!

Awesome post! What a great dad saving the day! Sometimes it's hard to remember the little ones hearts are so fragile. Cool part is the kids got both the ferry & monorail ride. To quote Stacy CUH-LASS-ICK! Lol!

Yes I am sorry it got to that point. Hopefully next time I will be more relaxed.

A Trip Down Memory (Main Street) Lane...

Post Note: I may be going back and adding photos tonight. I was pressed for time on this post.

So after making things right with Michael we got off the Monorail and I noticed that it had gotten REALLY crowded compared to 30 minutes ago. The line (crush of people) at the security checkpoint was massive but was a fairly quick process. As soon as we passed the gates and were in the area right before you walk under the railroad it really started to hit me. I was really here. I got a little choked up at that point. No tears but there was a lump in my throat.

In Security/Gate Line.
P1010738_zpsosdkqddo.jpg

We passed under the railroad entrance (left side for those keeping track at home )
and we were greeted with many many sites and sounds. It was a bit overwhelming at first. There is sooo much I want to do in our next trip!
P1010743_zpsxoo2hk6x.jpg

A few snaps of the kids complaining about smiling and looking in to the sun! I hope Roy O didn't mind a little Mattie tush so close to his face :) (By the way is this bench mobile? I thought it was more centered to main street?)
P1010746_zpsufa454uo.jpg

We were in no real hurry and none of our fastpass+ reservations were right at first. Jennifer and I had made the promise to get a Starbucks on Main Street during the planning phases so that was our first destination we headed towards. We started to move across the area and I nearly ran in to...
P1010747_zps68lbncz0.jpg

I keep going back to crowds but as we got in viewing distance to the castle we decided not to try a photopass of the whole family. The line was 20 deep to get the photos. We mainly took pictures of the castle and main street.
P1010748_zpswjcngoll.jpg

As Jen herded the kids over the street to the right hand side of the street, I visited the balloon vendor in the right side of the pic. Mattie wanted a red balloon. I think that cost $12 or something similar. That balloon went EVERYWHERE with us until it met its un-timely demise (later).

Then I stopped dead in my tracks as we were standing right beside the Confectionery. If you read my first post you will remember my memory about the large multi-colored sucker. I had to get one for my kids.. and we did! Inside the candy store...
P1010750_zpsczg9lsrp.jpg

Mattie with her new balloon.

I could have ate one of these by myself!
P1010752_zpsjiotmffm.jpg

We got our 3 suckers for the kids and walked outside and started to head once again to Starbucks. I took some pics along the way!
P1010754_zpstgw0vxpd.jpg

The new wreaths I saw several posts about before we left.
P1010770_zpsccw0puuz.jpg

We past Center street even though I wanted to dive off in here to escape the people!
P1010774_zpsxrhp1tcc.jpg

Before long we saw our destination...
P1010776_zpsmxq9q6oq.jpg

We took one look through the window and realized this would take a while. Big line! I decided to wait outside with the kids while Jen went inside to get our Carmel Macchiato's (sp?)...

Queue the Jeopardy music...

We waited... we watched people walk by... we fought about whose turn it was to hold the balloon. Guess what? It was ALMOST always Mattie's turn!

P1010779_zpsgam3jdnq.jpg

20 minutes later Jennifer appeared with our coffee... lol just in time for the VAMOS! parade... (I didn't realize/see it was called the "Move it! Shake it! Dance & Play it!" parade) To be fair all it sounded like was Vamos! on repeat. We had no idea it was coming until we saw it. We were a couple of rows deep. I lifted Nathan up and Jennifer got Mattie high enough to see over the grown ups.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201400_zpstgiy3kqw.jpg

P1010757_zps58qpftfi.jpg

P1010760_zps3jbvig3x.jpg

P1010762_zps9cq5qpjy.jpg

Mickey!
P1010759_zpsb4edrfej.jpg

Ok so after that we headed to the Hub! I am glad they re-designed the hub but I sooo wished it was more done while we were there. I had read a lot and followed the construction picture posts so I was prepared by August it would be a sea of temporary walls and it was but it was ok.

P1010793_zpsoo6gvh1x.jpg

P1010794_zpsmkzz3ext.jpg

We didn't linger too long. We grabbed a few photos. But we had to get moving to the general area of our first Fastpass of the day!

P1010796_zpsa6oguorg.jpg

Up next! Trees, Whips, Carpets, Pirates, and Jungle Boat Rides!

Last edited:

I could have ate one of these by myself!

My wife LOVES those rice crispies. As I recall they even have some dipped in chocolate that are her favorite. She acts like a kid in that store, but then again who doesn't!!

My wife LOVES those rice crispies. As I recall they even have some dipped in chocolate that are her favorite. She acts like a kid in that store, but then again who doesn't!!

I was amazed at how big they were!

Adventures in Adventureland!

We next made our way in to Adventureland. Our first fastpass was for Pirates of the Caribbean but we still had time to kill. So we did the first attraction we saw which was the Swiss Family Treehouse. I really didn't know much about the attraction because to me it was not something I sought out or researched. I never saw the movie but had an idea about what it was. That was too bad because I had nothing for Michael when he asked what this tree was all about :(

There was no 'line' so to speak as it was pretty much just walk on so that was cool.

P1010799_zpszekh9pt9.jpg

P1010800_zpsueazojxa.jpg

P1010803_zpskdm0sbjt.jpg

At some point in the climb I heard Jennifer ask from behind me... "How high does this go?" I told her I was not sure but when I looked up and saw where people were standing...
P1010805_zpsorypnz6o.jpg

I looked back at Jen and said... "pretty high..." She had a pale look on her face.

Jennifer and Michael are both terrified of heights. It can seriously freak both of them out. Jennifer took a deep breath and trying not to worry Michael put on her happy face and said "it will be fine." and for the most part it was. Michael was holding on to railing with both hands a lot but he got to see all of the rooms. When we got to the Jungle Lookout I was able to get a good Castle photo. Then finally we reached the top and headed down.
P1010816_zpslrdqvdwh.jpg

Safe and sound on the ground... Mattie loved the tree house!

Avast!

So it was now time to go to...
P1010828_zpsckch9b45.jpg

P1010829_zpsmwyre8vt.jpg

My favorite ride from Disneyland when I was a kid! We walked over and the line for stand by was 45 minutes... whew, I was glad for FP+ at that point! We got in and while I wanted to take a little time going through the queue line we kind of rushed. The one thing about the queue that surprised me was how CRAZY dark it is. So dark it was a bit tough to see in some points and I nearly tripped over Mattie who got scared and stopped short. I got a few full flash shots of the queue walk.

The poor non FP people...
P1010833_zpsvfv92mxn.jpg

Authentic water bottle shot...
P1010834_zpswekbkk2b.jpg

making our way...
P1010835_zpsbbttnyhy.jpg

The poor non FP people part 2
P1010841_zpsrwfkohvg.jpg

Quick Family Selfie... Mattie and Nate road upfront with me.
P1010843_zpsvvbnuvpc.jpg

The ride... still very cool. The mist with Ian McShane Blackbeard was not working so that kind of was dissapointing. Like a lot of people I tried to get low light pictures and none were any good except when we got to the prisoners and dog scene.
P1010866_zpsbwy9pn6w.jpg

Still jittery on this one.
P1010865_zpskupkerqx.jpg

The ride stopped here for about 1 minute. Malfunction I guess? I got lots of photos of this fellow...
P1010864_zps6ymoq2tb.jpg

We finished the ride and I thought the end where Jack Sparrow was a nice touch! I had no idea they added him to the end. Too dark to get good photo though...

We exited the ride and went to the gift shop... the kids had fun in there and Mattie did her first real disappearing acts! We turned our backs a sec to take a photo of Michael and or Nathan and turned around and she was GONE! I ran out to entrance to make sure she didnt leave and Jennifer took kids to back to move forward looking. All told she was out of sight for 30 seconds but it FREAKED ME OUT! There were a LOT of people and kids her size everywhere running too and fro...Jennifer found her closer back in the exit area of the ride in the gift shop. So we calmed down and got some photos.
P1010877_zpsmqvkmiwn.jpg

That is it for now! Short post as I am on my lunch break! Next up the rest of Adventureland!

I'm so glad I found your trip report. I have enjoyed reading through it. I can tell how much this trip meant to you and how you'll cherish the special memories. You taking the monorail loop for your son just made my heart melt! What a great thing to do for your boy!:hug:
-Lindsey

Adventures in Adventureland Part 2

I am sorry but all I have time to upload today is the briefest of updates!

Ok so after the brief scare of Mattie taking off on us in the PotC gift shop we decided to head right off of those boats and board the Jungle Cruise boats! (Jingle Cruise Edition!) We only had to wait about a 10 minute wait and it is a good thing because my not-10-minute-old lecture to Mattie about running off apparently had been forgotten. While we were talking she ducked under all of the ropes to for the closed ride queue section! After some dagger eyes from both Jen and me she came back to us.

I have watched a lot of Jungle Cruise skippers on YouTube and our skipper was top notch if you ask me. He was clear on the sound system and in to his jokes. Michael and Nathan thought all of the puns were pretty funny.

Jennifer taking a photo of me taking a photo.
P1010937_zpsu246eha9.jpg

In our Christmas finery...
P1010915_zpsmkxyflis.jpg

Our Skipper
P1010905_zpsf73uw3ih.jpg

Dock
P1010906_zps87jsc3z7.jpg

Whats a "Pole Dip?"

After getting off the Jungle Cruise I saw somebody eating a Dole Whip. I said 'Oh yeah we got to get a Dole Whip!' Nathan heard... "Pole Dip"... I said it is Pineapple ice cream! Pineapple is Nathan's favorite fruit! He was stoked. We walked back over to the Aloha Isle area.

Jen and the kids went over to the little nook and there were some open seating, while I went to order. Some of the other items looked good but I figured not to trick it up. I ordered 5 Dole Whips...
P1010886_zpsa9levc0h.jpg

I was not prepared for how tall they were and as if on queue I ended up dropping one right in front of Aloha Isle. Before I could even look up one of the guys behind the counter produced another. I scooped up the other and ran it to a trash can :)

Ok so Dole Whips are pretty amazing! Thumbs up from all of us! It was a tad warm by this time and they melted quick! Note the baby wipes!
P1010890_zps5utffdwa.jpg

P1010891_zpsappkg7sh.jpg

By the way... this was a great little nook to catch your breath away from everyone. I am not sure how busy this area gets but this day it was real nice. I also read recently they are refurbing the Aloha Isle. I hope they keep this little section.

That is literally all the time I have again for an update!

See ya next time!

The Swiss Family Treehouse is pretty fun! My daughter had no idea about the story/movie but still enjoyed it. Plus it is an opening day attraction so fun to visit.

Pirates is definitely a classic - bummer about the mist not working though. Definitely dark and scary at parts so can see why some kids get scared.

Dole Whips are my favorite! My specific favorite is to get a pineapple float with twist ice cream ... ok, getting hungry

That nook area is very nice - we've waited out a few rain storms over the years there

Okay. Dole Whips are a MUST. Glad you got one. YUM! Looks like it's shaping up to be a great morning for you guys at MK!

The Swiss Family Treehouse is pretty fun! My daughter had no idea about the story/movie but still enjoyed it. Plus it is an opening day attraction so fun to visit.

Pirates is definitely a classic - bummer about the mist not working though. Definitely dark and scary at parts so can see why some kids get scared.

Dole Whips are my favorite! My specific favorite is to get a pineapple float with twist ice cream ... ok, getting hungry

That nook area is very nice - we've waited out a few rain storms over the years there

I need to pay more attention to the Treehouse next time. I was more concerned with coaxing my oldest up and down the stairs. Yeah I want to try the Dole Twist next time!

:flower1:I love dole whip and it looks like you guys do too

Certainly did!

Okay. Dole Whips are a MUST. Glad you got one. YUM! Looks like it's shaping up to be a great morning for you guys at MK!

Yes after my early morning grumpiness the whole day was very magical!

I am LOVING your trip report. I don't usually make it all the way through the ones that I read, but I am really enjoying yours! I can relate to so many things. By the way we also live in the DFW. We are in Rowlett. :-)

I am LOVING your trip report. I don't usually make it all the way through the ones that I read, but I am really enjoying yours! I can relate to so many things. By the way we also live in the DFW. We are in Rowlett. :-)

Howdy! Thank you for kind comments! I was worried that as my story progressed from pre-trip to in-trip that it is getting to procedural.

Loving following along!! Can't wait to read more!!

Thank you

Adventures in Adventureland III

So we have just finished our amazing Dole Whips and I wanted to head in the direction of Frontierland. Mattie however spied the Magic Carpets and REALLY wanted to ride that. The boys seemed to be up for it. I on the other hand do not do ANY rides I know are spinning around! Slow as the carpet rides are I still knew they might make me woozy.

The crowd had gotten larger since we started and it was really cramped around the Carpet rides. The standby line was 40 minutes so Jen took the kids and I took all the gear and found a spot by the fence near the entrance. This was my first experience with the often daily Florida pop up shower. Living in Texas I am no stranger to violent Thunderstorms but we usually have 2 days meteorological warning of rain and storms. Luckily it only sprinkled but that would change closer to lunch time.

SO I waited and waited for Jen and the kids to appear in the queue line. I set up my gorilla pod on fence and then took it down when asked by a park employee... to be fair they were swatting away all of the kids trying to stand on the brick lower portion of the Carpets fence. I managed to get some zoom shots of them as they approached.

Serious Mattie...
P1010974_zpsovvef1hp.jpg

Mattie giving Mom a kiss...
P1010979_zpsunjfk6l4.jpg

Watching the other riders...
P1010972_zpsyon7dxf2.jpg

Boarded and waving at me...
P1010982_zpsdgedrl6t.jpg

Finally Lift Off!
P1010966_zpsb0cuaa4v.jpg

The $12 balloon still going strong...
P1010976_zpsrolklyuo.jpg

After the ride was done we met at an entrance and immediately the boys wanted to do the next closest ride! I herded them along towards Frontierland direction... and made it about 50 feet and I saw the Enchanted Tiki Room! More 1983 Disneyland memories flooded my head. I looked at Jennifer and said I remember that being a fun attraction to me back in 1983. She then said we should totally go see it! The boys were a little grumbily about it now that they were 3 day 'seasoned' thrill riders now and shows apparently were beneath them... Jen read them the riot act and they got in line...

The queue line that is....
P1010985_zpsrkvhoabo.jpg

The boys were trying their best to look bored while standing here... until the outdoor show started.
P1010991_zpsmdgzxcfo.jpg

Then it was Michael shussing Nathan so he could heat the story
P1010993_zpsln2jhgkl.jpg

Soon we were let inside and we got a back row seat... but not really a bad seat at all in there...
P1010998_zpsfrtmxslh.jpg

The show started...
P1020002_zps4vs2j374.jpg

P1020005_zpsm3g5rwhw.jpg

P1020012_zpsl8si6mkh.jpg

All through out the show the kids watched intently... the boys even smiled....

Finally Frontierland!

Ok so after the Enchanted Tiki Room we once again made our way to Frontierland and finally passed under the sign...
P1020023_zps8svudkse.jpg

Next Up? Splitting up and a lunch that appears not to have happened...

Last edited:
A Little bit of Frontierland...

So we have finished our morning tour of Adventureland and we moved in to Frontierland. As soon as we left The Enchanted Tiki Room the boys were on us about when the next ride was coming! It was around 11:30 and I was getting hungry and we passed Pecos Bills and it looked like a zoo. Just then the boys spotted Splash Mountain and they really wanted to go. Jennifer had no desire to get wet and Mattie was too little. So we split up. I took the boys to Splash Mountain and Jennifer would go exploring... and we would meet up in about 45 minutes in front of Splash Mountain.

The queue line was listed at 30 min if I remember correctly. It started to sprinkle again once we got in line but we were about to get wet anyways...
P1020025_zpsfs8lrvqp.jpg

With just us guys I got to slow down a bit and enjoy this queue. The detailing and themeing is fantastic.
P1020026_zpspjcqjmyg.jpg

P1020027_zpsujhjfyft.jpg

P1020029_zpsuynl33s6.jpg

The train was boarding and moving about this time..
P1020032_zps47gcmqtc.jpg

Before long we were seated in our log boat when it hit me that I was carrying my camera and had no water protection.... I just tucked it under my shirt on the big water drop!
P1020055_zps5xln89tm.jpg

P1020063_zpsqbqzqxng.jpg

P1020067_zpscnxaoz1z.jpg

P1020056_zpsszoh9szn.jpg

P1020059_zps0yjqjsjx.jpg

It was a great ride! Cutting this update short for now because I realized for some reason the rest of my update photos did not upload to photobucket last night :(

Exploring Frontierland and Liberty Square Jennifer and Mattie Style!

So while the boys and I rode Splash Mountain, Jennifer and Mattie explored Liberty Square. Up until now I thought we had not a single photo of these places. I am soo lucky she got these shots because I never walked past any of these areas to see myself!

The Liberty BellE
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201691_zps2ocmqa6a.jpg

The Liberty Bell
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201679_zpseoivvo5f.jpg

The Hall of Presidents
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201689_zps2re5dktn.jpg

My wife, like me, loves Christmas Decorations so it explains the many pics inside Ye Olde Christmas Shop
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201680_zpspgmlwcta.jpg

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201683_zps5um92or0.jpg

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201684_zpsoaxq1wts.jpg

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201688_zpsevns5y5s.jpg

After Ye Olde it looks like she headed around to the Tangled Restroom area... by way of a direct shot of Haunted Mansion (which by the way closed the day before while we were at Hollywood Studios) Chad and I were sooo disappointed. At least I have this great photo Jen got for me.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201690_zpsa8ccfxld.jpg

Tangled Area...
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201698_zpspxvgjacv.jpg

Selfies
67f92123-7fbf-4605-9a1b-f708e1a80acd_zpsj5wexehb.jpg

After that they walked all the way back over to Splash Mountain to meet us when we got out. By this time the rain drops were getting a bit real and we were hungry as it was lunch time. Jennifer had commented to me that there was a seafood place over in Liberty Square that smelled amazing when she and Mattie walked by. I told her she was in luck because that is where I had planned lunch!

Columbia Harbour House Lunch

At the same time all of this was going on we had not know it but Chad and Leslie and gang who had gone RIGHT towards Tomorrowland when they had got to Magic Kingdom went to Fantasyland and were in Frontierland really close to us at this point. They were having lunch at Pecos Bills. Leslie had commented (just this July 4th weekend) that how unimpressed she was with it and crowded and they wouldn't let her sit down (grab a table) until she had all of her food. They are not fans...

WE on the other hand L-O-V-E-D the Columbia Harbour House! (Now the only bad thing is that neither Jen or I took a single inside photo! ) As we pulled the stroller up out front it started to pour rain on us. I quickly covered the stroller and we dashed inside. I expected it to be a zoo at 12:30 PM and a heavy rain going on but it was rather calm inside. I had to wait maybe a minute for the next order station to open up.

I opted for the Shrimp Platter with Fries and Coleslaw. The shrimp were properly prepared and seasoned as expected. Nothing to blow my socks off but I ate every bite. Jen got the Lobster Roll and I think I would have rather had that. I got a bite and it was really good! Michael opted for the Fish basket with Fries. He ate all of his! Nathan and Mattie had kids nuggets meals. We took our food upstairs and we were about only 1 of 5 families up there. It was a VERY relaxing meal because we essentially had an entire section to us. The rain lasted about 40 minutes and we took our time. Mattie got to wander around the table and explore and i didn't feel like I needed to wrangle her back to her seat. Awesome lunch! After we took bathroom breaks x2 we headed outside to clearing skies and much humidity! I was a tad warm now...

P1020069_zps7jrw7c6v.jpg

Some of the scenery along the way...
P1020070_zpstnloigkt.jpg

Closing in on our next destination... Its Small World
P1020072_zpsi0amhfpl.jpg

Next Up Small World!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter