“They gave us an extra trash basket!” A Surprise Trip 6 day POR. Nov and Dec 2014. Updated 2/8

I love upstairs at CHH. Such a chill spot! I have never had the lobster roll, I am from MA and vacation on the coast of ME regularly. I will have to see if it lives up next trip. Also DS recently got cleared to eat shellfish! No allergy! So now he is obsessed with it! I can't wait for him to try a lobster roll in Disney.

I love upstairs at CHH. Such a chill spot! I have never had the lobster roll, I am from MA and vacation on the coast of ME regularly. I will have to see if it lives up next trip. Also DS recently got cleared to eat shellfish! No allergy! So now he is obsessed with it! I can't wait for him to try a lobster roll in Disney.

I'd be surprised if a Disney Lobster Roll beats a true New England one!

I just read through what you have posted so far and I am really enjoying it! I can't wait to read more!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I love the sense of anticipation you had for the trip and all the pleasure you had in the planning. I am so glad it all came together for you and your family.

Crisscrossing The Magic Kingdom!

Sorry for lack of updates! I have been a little under the weather. We last left off after a wonderfully relaxed lunch at Columbia Harbour House moving towards the New Fantasy Land and Small World Ride. It had rained a good deal at lunch and when we came back out it was getting warm and humid. Mattie was staring to get a little tired so she wanted to be held quite a bit! This made me extra hot and whiny too!

As I had mentioned before, the boys were now (in their minds) seasoned thrill riders after 3 days, with no time for baby rides.... They were not really in to Small World :) Mattie however really liked it!

Queue was full when we got in line but it moved at a pretty good clip.
P1020076_zpsqmksdv9g.jpg

P1020077_zpsspnfhycf.jpg

Before long I finally got to sit down in a boat and stop holding Mattie! I was fairly hot and sweaty. The queue area being opened to the exterior was only slightly less humid than the outside!

I don't know much about Pinocchio Village Haus or how good the food is but I do like the idea of being able to watch the Small World Riders start their journey.... maybe next time.
P1020079_zpsborvauay.jpg

For some reason I didn't take pictures of the kids reactions but got plenty of photos of the ride which most of you have all seen so I will post just a few from the ride.

P1020080_zpsrkyv7wb6.jpg

P1020081_zps7sagkbtq.jpg

Oh wait... I lied. Bored Michael... :)
P1020106_zpswbyzp8dy.jpg

So there was much singing! Many happy puppets!
P1020123_zpsxl2i5vye.jpg

After Small World we headed in to New Fantasyland. Wow! So well done! The amount of detail is spectacular!
P1020124_zps9z3ru6aj.jpg

Sadly... no Seven Dwarves ride this trip... 80min wait!
P1020125_zpsgh4nmdsk.jpg

P1020126_zpszk6lae7g.jpg

After a bit of roaming we made it to The Little Mermaid Ride... surprisingly we had little complaints from the boys. They did remind me several times since around 11am that we did not do Big Thunder Mountain! This ride queue is very cool and very detailed!

P1020134_zps9mnpsnpf.jpg

P1020147_zpsanloe7d7.jpg

P1020151_zpse3fqypvw.jpg

P1020153_zpsaiud49cs.jpg

Technical Difficulties? At one point in the queue the line ground to a halt for about 10 minutes and man it was pretty warm. Mattie was once again wanting to be held! I think the ride was having difficulties (because it shut down for about 2 minutes while we were riding) We eventually got boarded though!

P1020158_zpsoeujkrpj.jpg

Coolest part of the ride for me. Going 'under' the sea...
P1020162_zpsmkrzyscm.jpg

P1020163_zps9jyvrjbv.jpg

The ride broke down sometime around the big room... I managed to catch a video of the fix announcement over the speakers.

Pretty soon we were finished. Very cool ride!
P1020178_zpswph3wa0c.jpg

It was around 3:45p at this point and we had a 6:10 O'hana ressie. I gave in to the boys to give them one more roller coaster before we had to leave for dinner! Big Thunder here we come! Much happiness abounded!

Back through New Fantasyland...
Back through Liberty Square....

A quick photo...
P1020181_zpscn39720y.jpg

Jennifer and Mattie split up from us here. They ended up going back to Cinderella's Castle and watching a performance on the stage of something :)

My little goof! The stickers made it through the ride as you will see!
P1020188_zpstgjas4ul.jpg

P1020186_zpsobqf4idt.jpg

P1020194_zpsavpxejlt.jpg

Still with the stickers...
P1020203_zpstlekbaj1.jpg

Almost there...
P1020204_zpst0qenl82.jpg

So I got the very front of the train...
P1020205_zps9e3cpvcv.jpg

I decided to video the ride and film the boys reaction..... I recommend watching. The 40 second mark is where the fun starts, I love Nathan's reaction the whole time!

Great time but we got to get moving. We have dinner reservations at O'Hana with the Humphreys! The boys and I made a bee line back through Adventureland to the Hub where we found Jennifer and Mattie!

It was starting to get dark and the holiday lighting was really starting to come on.

P1020206_zpsjd4c0iqt.jpg

Cya next time!

WOW! So even with the "lateish start" you STILL went on 9 attractions, had lunch, saw part of a parade, and had a dole whip. PRETTY GOOD!

I just noticed you didn't use FP plus? Are you saving it for tonight maybe?

Great video of Big Thunder Mountain!
I love that ride!

Thanks... I just realized the teens behind us dropped one or two S-Bombs during the ride :)

WOW! So even with the "lateish start" you STILL went on 9 attractions, had lunch, saw part of a parade, and had a dole whip. PRETTY GOOD!

I just noticed you didn't use FP plus? Are you saving it for tonight maybe?

Wow when you put it in perspective like that it is pretty cool, and we thought we would take breaks at the Hotel :)

I am guilty of using the terms FastPass and FastPass+ interchangeably + I am doing this whole trip by memory from last Nov/Dec. Anytime I have mentioned FP they were indeed FP+ from the My Disney app. :) So Pirates was the only FP+ so far. I had a different schedule laid out in the morning with the other two FP+ ressies but we missed the times on those.

Just joining. Looks like a wonderful time so far!

Thank you for joining! We are about to go on a mini summer vacation to Galveston this coming Sun through Thursday. I will try to get the dinner post up tonight or tomorrow. Ohana was amazing!

Dinner at 'OHANA and a Surprise Boat Ride!

So as we left we were making our way out of the Magic Kingdom and getting ready for our Dinner. The lights were coming on main street so I tried to snap a few shots while pushing Mattie in the stroller. Disney is a MASTER at the use of LED lighting. There are so many colors to see!
P1020211_zpspbsmiyfo.jpg

P1020216_zps6fxgojcu.jpg

Looking down Main Street.
P1020209_zpse2mhtpfo.jpg

Yes... even LED lighted balloons!
P1020226_zpsscabozcd.jpg

Turned around and got shot of the new Christmas wreathes and mounting structures. I remember those debuted this year because of the taller Fantasy parade.
P1020224_zpsb5biqe9n.jpg

So we left the Magic Kingdom around 5:10. Our Reservation was for 6:10 IIRC. The monorail was there about 5 minutes after walking up to the monorail depot. We got inside. Nathan still had his stickers! I think at this point my feet were really starting to bark at me. This was third day at being a park warrior and at my weight I guess it was inevitable they would start hurting. I had been popping ibuprofen and Tylenol since the first night. The monorail ride was a welcome respite!
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201881_zpsgaiikcll.jpg

P1020230_zpswsiaja24.jpg

P1020232_zps3ca9bvem.jpg

Mattie had fallen asleep on the walk out of MK. It is a good thing because even though she was not crabby all day I am certain this nice nap helped head off any possible melt downs in the evening.

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201873_zpsq3rvomfb.jpg

The Poly was in the middle of the Lobby remodel when we were at Disney. Things were a little extra crowded on the floors. People were trying to get seated at Kona and shop at the makeshift relocated gift shops. We got to Ohana and got the call from Chad and Leslie that they were on the monorail to Poly from the MK. We waited in in the area near the stroller parking. Soon we were all there. Our boys and their boys immediately started exchanging stories. It was fun to eaves drop on their conversations. They both had soo much fun that day! Although JD and CJ preferred Hollywood Studios to the rides at MK. It wasn't long before we were lead to our table.

P1020259_zpsgzslajz4.jpg

We walked by some good looking bread! At this point I became aware of how hungry I was! It seemed like we had just finished lunch!

P1020261_zps4zaswodk.jpg

Meat... yes MEAT was for dinner!

P1020260_zpsqkuog97b.jpg

We were kind of around this location.... and we had a wonderful view of the castle. However I was sad I was missing Elsa light the castle.

P1020236_zpsjk5ecy6v.jpg

Ok so we got our drink orders. Chad and Leslie don't drink very much but I have been known to partake. I am not a beer drinker nor do I enjoy wine all that much. My tastes lean towards the distilled spirits... I wanted a Lapu Lapu ever since I researched Ohana. So I got one of these things. However I am sad to state that while the taste was decent for a mixed drink and the pineapple is a nice touch that the $$ to ounces is WAY off kilter. Later Chad ordered one too...

We got the Welcome bread first and it was really good, but we were all so hungry that it didn't last. A second round appeared 2 minutes later! Then the appetizers came. The chicken wings and the dumplings were good.

Then came the meat. I really was only interested in the shrimp. It was very good. I had them line up about 15 shrimp and a small piece of the sirloin :) The shrimp was well seasoned and had good flavor. The sirloin was a little tough but I choked it down.

The amazing thing was all of this happened in about 20 minutes... I wish I would have savored it a bit. However when you have a table of 6 kids with varying tastes you spend a little bit of time constantly asking the waiter for this and that :).

The entertainment came by the table for a quick serenade. I think I was digging through a bag at this moment looking for wipes for Matties hands :)

Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201907_zpsinxxqyik.jpg

Photo of Michael and I! He enjoyed eating here VERY much and still talks about it today. He really wants to stay at Poly in 2017.
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201899_zpsaurhhpxc.jpg

Leslie, Chad, and JD
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201891_zps4cyetlxe.jpg

Don't ask me what Nathan is doing... If I had seen it I would have been embarrassed :)
Jen%20Phone%20Apr%202015%201885_zpsaagttd2q.jpg

Mattie learning to do the Hula

P1020239_zpskecr378c.jpg

P1020246_zpsvp3mpcuy.jpg

He was great!
P1020247_zpsarrcrqtz.jpg

He called up any anniversary couples. Chad and Leslie had just celebrated 20 years a week before.
P1020254_zpsh6oibvfh.jpg

So we had a great time but it was time to go. Chad and Leslie were going to call it a night and do laundry at AoA. We were headed back to MK to catch Spectromagic, Wishes, and Celebrate the Magic.

On our way out this fellow was the source of much 8 to 12 year old male laughter in our group!
P1020263_zpstbwk2p7e.jpg

Jennifer stopped at the gift shop and got some Christmas Tree decorations for when we got back home. The gift shop was near the monorail doors. I noticed when we pulled up there were was a line back through the doors. I asked a couple if they had been waiting long and they said about 5 minutes. Well 5 more minutes passed and word filtered back the monorail was down and it might not be running for 30 more minutes... I knew you could walk from Poly to MK which I told Jen we were gonna need to do.

Not having planned for this I was not sure how to get to the pathway from the 2nd floor of the Poly. I knew we had to get to first floor so we got on the elevator after a major crush of people from the Monorail line. While I was in elevator a couple asked if we were walking. I explaiend I guessed we would. They said there was also a small boat that leaves the marina. That sounded REALLY good to my aching feet! So we followed them to the Marina. Halfway down that long marina dock I hear Nathan... "I have to go to the bathroom". When he says that he really means... "Father, even though I pee'd 2 times before we left Ohana my tiny bladder is about to explode!"

I look down at the dock and I don't see a boat and only about 5 people... I guess I had a look on my face because Jen said... I got him and they fast walked back to the Poly and apparently found a restroom (heck maybe it was a bush) because they got back to the dock 8 minutes later as the boat was coming in to dock! We boarded. The pilot was very funny... kind of like a River Boat Skipper but less cheese :)
P1020269_zpsa6pghq2b.jpg

Mattie was stoked about her boat ride! I realized after taking this photo Frozen was playing at the Poly.
P1020264_zpsnrnwjohv.jpg

Zoomed in on it best I could.
P1020267_zpszrdlwaaf.jpg

P1020266_zpscwa4s8eu.jpg

Michael was sweet. He said he loved getting to take 2 boat rides and 2 monorail rides today!

P1020265_zpsyrnsuwgr.jpg

We made it back to MK.
P1020278_zpspnidh0fl.jpg

Up next... Spectromagic or No Magic?

We are getting ready to head out on our Summer Beach Trip this weekend to Galveston through Thursday. I will post some pictures after the trip!

Ohana looks great! We've only been there for breakfast. Have fun on your trip.

I look forward to your updates once a month while I'm working on the weekends! I can't wait to see my kiddos enjoying Disney as yours are! If you don't mind, did y'all purchase the dining plan? Did you find it worth it?

Ohana looks great! We've only been there for breakfast. Have fun on your trip.

Thank you. I am preparing a post on my Gulf Coast Visit.

I look forward to your updates once a month while I'm working on the weekends! I can't wait to see my kiddos enjoying Disney as yours are! If you don't mind, did y'all purchase the dining plan? Did you find it worth it?

I will get back to the trip tonight or tomorrow I hope! For my family the DDP was very worth it. I new I had a fixed budget going in to the trip. Yes we probably could have done dining cheaper. I did a lot of research though and read several guides on how to maximize the dining plan credits.

I relied heavily on Tom Bricker's posts on his blog regarding maximizing your table service credits.

I also did a lot of research on The Disney Food Blog

Last edited:
Disney Break - Galveston 2015 Vacation -

We just got back from a 5 day 4 night trip to the Texas Coast. To help prepare for the 2017 Disney Trip we are saving on vacation money now. we elected to stay at the Comfort Suites and Inn on 89th Street in Galveston. $89 a night got us 2 queen bed and a queen sofa sleeper along with breakfast. We had stayed here in 2010 on a previous trip and found it to be a clean hotel with a fantastic staff.

Day 1 Sunday
I was all set to leave at 7:00 AM and had set myself a 5AM alarm to get up. Well I didn't go to bed until midnight the previous evening, so when I thought I snoozed my alarm for 15 min I had actually turned it off. We did not end up waking up until 8:30! Schedule blown up! Much like my Disney trip I had to say 'the heck with the schedule' again. We got on the road around 9:45. We stopped in Corsicana for what turned out to be brunch instead of breakfast at the Collin Street Bakery on I45. This is a pretty decent meal!

We drove on from there and stopped an hour and a half down the road at a really nice rest stop on I-45 south of Madisonville and north of Huntsville called the Walker County Southbound Rest Area. It has a nice large, clean, and air conditioned restrooms. There is a small lake/pond in the back with a nature trail, picnic areas, and playground. The information center has a nice little Texas history section. Here are some photos of the kids.

IMG_20150726_141213_zpsqsepnwly.jpg

IMG_20150726_141530_zpswlkjhep6.jpg

After the stop we were next supposed to head to NASA and the Johnson Space Center to eat in that area. However the kids were quite and not hungry after lunch so we pressed on to the Hotel. We arrived around 5pm and got checked in. It was 2nd floor and not facing the Gulf of Mexico. :( We decided to go to Dinner as we were starving. The island was still VERY much hopping from the weekend. We tried to go to Salsa's because when you go to the coast you should eat Tex Mex but the wait was 2 hours! Holy smokes the food must be good there! We decided to go to another location called Miller's Seawall Grill. We had a nice dinner. Jen and I had the Fried Shrimp platter. My kids all stuck to their normal items of burgers and chicken tenders and all with Fries.

After Dinner it was close to 8 and so I decided to drive us 20 minutes to the Texas City Dike. This is a small strip of land that extends in to the bay about 3 miles with fishing on either side. I had heard stories about this being a great location for finding beach glass. I think we got there too late. It was very hard to see any. We did find a few broken shells. We didn't stay long as it quickly got dark. We drove back to the hotel for the night.

Day 2 Monday
We woke up around 8 and got dressed and went down stairs to the free breakfast. It was ok for free :) A large selection made sure all were happy. Our plan for the day was to head to Walmart for snacks and drinks for the beach. We got dressed for the beach after breakfast when on our way out I casually asked if we could get an upgrade to the Gulf side of the hotel. I would pay the difference. They only had a King bed with a queen sleeper. The front desk said we could transfer to that room for free. The maintenance man who was standing beside the front desk person said he would put a roll away bed in there so Jen and I would not have to share the king bed with Mattie! Sweet! So we ran back up stairs quickly and packed us for the move to the third floor. We got to Walmart shortly after that and got our supplies. We headed for the large family oriented beach called Stewart Beach. It is clean, has restrooms, concessions, and no alcohol allowed on the beach.

We got there around 11am and the beach was largely empty seeing as it was a Monday. We parked on the front row and rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $40 :scared:! We stayed until 3:30PM. The kids and I built a sand castle and looked for seashells. There are none... what does wash ashore gets picked up by people or swept up in the beach cleaner. The water is also VERY murky... even for Texas. I suppose it is from the traffic in the Galveston Bay and the ships stirring up the sediment.

Sand Castle Construction
IMG_20150727_113320_zps3rardezi.jpg

More Castle
IMG_20150727_113347_zpsib9soulu.jpg

All three kids playing together...
IMG_20150727_144034_zpsqf8jspxu.jpg

Nathan coming to tell me something
IMG_20150727_120426_zpsb8zsqcj2.jpg

After the beach we headed back to the Hotel to get showered and cleaned up for dinner. We decided to go to The Spot. A well known Galveston restaurant. We typically go each year for lunch or dinner. The food is ok. We sat outside in the nice breeze and shade. I branched out and tried the Mahi Mahi fish tacos. (not so great) Jen had the Shrimp Cocktail and the kids... burgers and fries! It was happy hour and I got a pina colada served in a coconut and Jen got a frozen margarita.

The view..
IMG_20150727_175939_zps187zadkh.jpg

More view
IMG_20150727_175942_zpsc2f7prhx.jpg

Nathan very relaxed and sleepy after big day!
PANO_20150727_175900_zpsc1hllsnk.jpg

After dinner we stopped for ice cream shakes at Sonic and went back to the hotel for the night.

Day 3 will be in next post as I need to go to store right now. I will upload the rest tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter