“Our Trip Behind the Bricks---- A Darkside Redux… “

Love the HP Travelogue! Definitely putting it on our list of must's! Thanks for posting it out of order for those of us headed there next week. Will have to try Antojitos - coming from Houston, is it more like a chain (Pappasitos/Gringos) or a mom and pop local hole in the wall? I am not sure how many of the rides I will get on - my family loves them all, but besides being a chicken, I get motion sick on some rides. Rock and Rollercoaster I can ride (just not multiple times) Star Tours is out (unless I close my eyes the whole time) and Tower of Terror I am just to chicken to ride due to the big (and unknown number of) drops!! I am thinking I will skip DM (Minions) but try most everything else based on a thread on the Parks board about motion sickness. I have my Bonine packed!
Funny thing is...

DW and I are on the ferry right now heading to Houston! Of course, we've been waiting to leave the Island since 6:05 am and are just leaving the dock right now. Fog. We were supposed to land right about now..... Club No Minor will have to wait until mañana......

Think of Antojitos theme and feel as a more modern, chic Pappasitos - with a Cafe Adobe bar, if that makes sense. But just as family oriented.

DW can feel the same way on Star Tours but doesn't have any probs on DM. It's a great ride- do you think riding it but in the seats that don't move might help...?

We are thinking of visiting Universal instead of Disney in the next year or two. I am enjoying your report :)
My pleasure!

Change is a good thing. It puts things in perspective And, neither of those 2 huge conglomerates will hold it against any of us if we skip them once in awhile. They'll be right there for us next time, arms wide open....

First-I am hungry now! Good thing big pot of chili on stove...great food pics...and a good 'rita sounds pretty nice right now

Second-they keep running those Universal Commercials on TV. Everytime the kids say "that looks like fun" or "wish we could go" it gets harder to keep the secret-so I just look for updates to trip reports:rotfl: 89 days til start of Disney portion, 97 til USF...but who's counting?

First-I am hungry now! Good thing big pot of chili on stove...great food pics...and a good 'rita sounds pretty nice right now

Second-they keep running those Universal Commercials on TV. Everytime the kids say "that looks like fun" or "wish we could go" it gets harder to keep the secret-so I just look for updates to trip reports:rotfl: 89 days til start of Disney portion, 97 til USF...but who's counting?
That 90 day point always seems the toughest for the boys. It's also usually the point where they start arguing if you count the arrival day in the count down if we arrive after 12 pm! Thats always a fun one to referee....

Enjoy your chili....!

Great video, I love it! You guys are great actors, seriously. My family would just be standing there all awkward LOL.

Great video, I love it! You guys are great actors, seriously. My family would just be standing there all awkward LOL.
Two USDA certified, Grade A Hams we have for sons, no doubt about that....

Okay...Your wife does RRR but not Dragon challenge? I rode dragon challenge both sides with no trouble but Rip Ride Rocket did me in. Maybe its me? Or maybe its that moving sidewalk!! Can't wait to hear more of your adventure. More Please:hourglass

Okay...Your wife does RRR but not Dragon challenge? I rode dragon challenge both sides with no trouble but Rip Ride Rocket did me in. Maybe its me? Or maybe its that moving sidewalk!! Can't wait to hear more of your adventure. More Please:hourglass
She rode "under duress" pure peer pressure from the boys! I think it's a once a year thing - that's about how long it takes for her to forget the experience....

And there will be more, I promise! Just as soon as I get back from this trip!

OK, sorry for the delay, but I'm finally here.

And the first photos? Stunning. OK, not the first photos, although you guys do make a great looking group. And the eels look oh so welcoming.......

I'm talking about the ferry photos! What a gorgeous view and gorgeous photos!

The botanical garden is stunning as well. I can totally see me adding that to a driving trip to FL sometime.

OK, I just got to the part were you say the ferry photos were done on an iphone. Maybe your camera just decided it wasn't worth living any more?

Your mention of riding and re-riding is making me twitchy. I wonder why....... could be all the "superuser" discussions over the past couple years....

Your discussion of buying APs sounds exactly like what we went through on our trip to DL in December. We had purchased 5 day tickets in 2013 (the most they sell there) and felt like we left some fun on the table not visiting on arrival and departure days. Same for the 1 day off during the week. So this time we went for AP's and got to visit for at least a tiny bit on each of the 9 days we were there (including arrival and departure). We felt like we owned the place.

Good for you for letting the boys have a bit of autonomy. I bet they made some awesome memories. We have to give them both roots and wings. If we don't let them do some of these small things at young ages, how will they ever handle the big things?

Anxious to hear more. What a great contrast to the highly structured new normal that Disney has become.

OK, sorry for the delay, but I'm finally here.

And the first photos? Stunning. OK, not the first photos, although you guys do make a great looking group. And the eels look oh so welcoming.......

I'm talking about the ferry photos! What a gorgeous view and gorgeous photos!

The botanical garden is stunning as well. I can totally see me adding that to a driving trip to FL sometime.

OK, I just got to the part were you say the ferry photos were done on an iphone. Maybe your camera just decided it wasn't worth living any more?

Your mention of riding and re-riding is making me twitchy. I wonder why....... could be all the "superuser" discussions over the past couple years....

Your discussion of buying APs sounds exactly like what we went through on our trip to DL in December. We had purchased 5 day tickets in 2013 (the most they sell there) and felt like we left some fun on the table not visiting on arrival and departure days. Same for the 1 day off during the week. So this time we went for AP's and got to visit for at least a tiny bit on each of the 9 days we were there (including arrival and departure). We felt like we owned the place.

Good for you for letting the boys have a bit of autonomy. I bet they made some awesome memories. We have to give them both roots and wings. If we don't let them do some of these small things at young ages, how will they ever handle the big things?

Anxious to hear more. What a great contrast to the highly structured new normal that Disney has become.
I'm still amazed by those ferry pictures. It was just one of those mornings when the water was like molasses with no breeze and just the right amount of clouds and humidity to make the colors of the sunrise jump. At least DW was smart enough to pop out her iPhone and capture it. I just stood there and soaked it up.

A photojournalist I will never be....

And you're so right. I'd never considered how AP's can add so much to the "no plan" aspect of a trip. Well, as long as that includes not needing to schedule all of your rides on those unplanned days...;)

the autonomy experiment worked out great with the boys. I just wish it had carried over to them recognizing the need to "autonomously" clear their plates from the table or "autonomously" taking the trash out.....

I'm still amazed by those ferry pictures. It was just one of those mornings when the water was like molasses with no breeze and just the right amount of clouds and humidity to make the colors of the sunrise jump. At least DW was smart enough to pop out her iPhone and capture it. I just stood there and soaked it up.

A photojournalist I will never be....

And you're so right. I'd never considered how AP's can add so much to the "no plan" aspect of a trip. Well, as long as that includes not needing to schedule all of your rides on those unplanned days...;)

the autonomy experiment worked out great with the boys. I just wish it had carried over to them recognizing the need to "autonomously" clear their plates from the table or "autonomously" taking the trash out.....

Of course, our DL APs came with that same benefit of "no schedule needed". We're going to appreciate that as long as it lasts (although it appears the days might be numbered).

And if you figure out that last bit, be sure to let me know. :)

Of course, our DL APs came with that same benefit of "no schedule needed". We're going to appreciate that as long as it lasts (although it appears the days might be numbered).

And if you figure out that last bit, be sure to let me know. :)

Hi there! Side note, but I talked to a tech support person last week to fix our crazy profiles that got all messed up....Anyway, he was based in California and he said FP+ is definitely coming to DL in 2016. Huge brick of salt of course! But he sounded pretty certain. He did say a version of it. Not sure what that meant. I'm going to be very interested to see how it goes out there.

Hi there! Side note, but I talked to a tech support person last week to fix our crazy profiles that got all messed up....Anyway, he was based in California and he said FP+ is definitely coming to DL in 2016. Huge brick of salt of course! But he sounded pretty certain. He did say a version of it. Not sure what that meant. I'm going to be very interested to see how it goes out there.

That's sort of the impression I have. I'm hoping WDW has their act together and can at least deliver a glitch-free experience by then, so we'll probably head east again when it rolls out at DL. My daughter is entering high school this fall though, so we have to cut back anyway. :(

What a fun trip! We are heading for USO in June for the first time as a family, I went back in the early 90's I think and I know much as changed. I love seeing all the pictures and hearing food reviews. I can't wait til our trip!

Loved the video, that is pretty cool, I may have to put it in the budget!

Side note, I want to visits OBX sometime, I am from South Carolina (though now in Al) but never made up that way. One day!

What a fun trip! We are heading for USO in June for the first time as a family, I went back in the early 90's I think and I know much as changed. I love seeing all the pictures and hearing food reviews. I can't wait til our trip!

Loved the video, that is pretty cool, I may have to put it in the budget!

Side note, I want to visits OBX sometime, I am from South Carolina (though now in Al) but never made up that way. One day!
The OBX are wonderful. No better place to relax. And the video is a blast! It's a good way to find who the closet actors are in the family...::yes::

That's sort of the impression I have. I'm hoping WDW has their act together and can at least deliver a glitch-free experience by then, so we'll probably head east again when it rolls out at DL. My daughter is entering high school this fall though, so we have to cut back anyway. :(
Well, I guess we'll see what they've learned in the past couple of years. Cali is a whole different guest demographic. At least they have enough capacity that tiers shouldn't be in the conversation.

Unless ticket books are coming back.....;)

Just found your trip report and looking forward to next instalment. We loved the new Harry Potter area last year. I am from London so for me it was just fantastic. They got it spot on. We loved the train and can't wait to ride again. I use to go on holiday in a carriage like that when I was a kid..
We are back in August for three weeks although will only spend one night at RPR for early entry and express for two whole days but will visit several times in the evening as open late in August. Will definitely try the restaurants you went to at City Walk. Realised that in 11 visits we have never actually eaten in City Walk.

Just found your trip report and looking forward to next instalment. We loved the new Harry Potter area last year. I am from London so for me it was just fantastic. They got it spot on. We loved the train and can't wait to ride again. I use to go on holiday in a carriage like that when I was a kid..
We are back in August for three weeks although will only spend one night at RPR for early entry and express for two whole days but will visit several times in the evening as open late in August. Will definitely try the restaurants you went to at City Walk. Realised that in 11 visits we have never actually eaten in City Walk.
I love the arrival/departure and platform announcements over the speakers in Kings Cross. They really nailed so many little details to make it that more realistic. And, being able to get some real crisps and an Old Speckled Hen at the kiosk is is a nice treat, as well!

We were really impressed with the new offerings at CityWalk. Well worth trying on your next trip.....

OK. I've stalked the DISboards for the past 3 years, and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to comment on a TR! This is absolutely the best written trip report I've ever read, I want more.

You're strangely addicting. :P

But it just looks like everyone's having so much fun, and you've got a great way of writing it all up that really takes you there!

OK. I've stalked the DISboards for the past 3 years, and this is the first time I've ever felt the need to comment on a TR! This is absolutely the best written trip report I've ever read, I want more.

You're strangely addicting. :P

But it just looks like everyone's having so much fun, and you've got a great way of writing it all up that really takes you there!
You are too kind!

I have to say that I'm still surprised how much I've come to enjoy doing these - even with 3 pretty tough and demanding "editors" in the house......;)

I've been out of town for a bit. but, am back now, so I hope to get the next installment up by the end of this weekend. After I get one more priority done - It's Pinewood Derby weekend. I've got one competitive young Cub Scout and his car to manage Saturday..... Lots of Daddy pressure.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter