“Our Trip Behind the Bricks---- A Darkside Redux… “

What was frustrating for us was that team members were woefully misinformed about Early Entry. One morning of our stay, a team member actually came to find us in line to apologize after giving incorrect information to us (and insisting that he was right, even though I was certain he wasn't, LOL!). It's strange that they don't have a consistent method for relaying the important information to team members in a reliable fashion.
I agree.

It almost seemed as if they were also testing the Staff to see how well the processes for change they had in place worked. Worked without them having prior info. I hope that's the case. Because it did seem they needed some work...;)

I was hoping you'd be done before I left on my trip (Friday...US/IOA/RPR on Sunday). Looks like that's not in the cards. Really enjoying your report and photos.

I was hoping you'd be done before I left on my trip (Friday...US/IOA/RPR on Sunday). Looks like that's not in the cards. Really enjoying your report and photos.
No worries - next update will be up late tonight or mid-day manana. I'm heading out on a trip myself Wednesday morning and I wouldn't leave you hanging...!

Reactions: HM
Day 2 continued and Dinner at Antojitos

When we exited DA, we took the long way around towards the exit – out towards MiB, just to take in the London Waterfront we’d cruised by so quickly on the way to Gringott’s. It had turned into one of those “Chamber of Commerce” days; like you see in all of the vacation brochures – sunny and warm, with not a cloud in the sky. Perfect for snapping a few pic’s as we went by, and a good opportunity to see if we could find the house goblin.

IMGP1290_zpscepjmsjq.jpg

We did. He’s a really nice touch of detail that got the boys pretty excited. Enough for me to play a little “Dad trick”, when I told them I had heard somewhere that you can actually go through the door and meet him. I thought it would be funny – until they grabbed the door knob that had been baking in the sun all morning. That’s why Russell has his sleeve over his hand in one of the pictures, below. He wouldn't give up trying to get in, even after getting a nice little sear. I’ll bet Pavlov must have had a great of humor.

IMGP1296_zpsqdrqoy3i.jpg

IMGP1295_zpswhmzqrjq.jpg

IMGP1299_zpsfmg2tpm0.jpg

The whole layout of the Waterfront is really of high quality. They put an amazing amount of detail into the architecture and it works. They incorporated several different and disparate London landmarks and were still able to get it to flow nicely. I suggest spending some time just taking in the sights. Oh, and pay some attention to the storefronts, if you do. There are some neat little golden eggs, like in the Record Shop window that are fun to hunt out (think: Jaws and the toast on the boat that went something like - "Here's to swimmin...).

IMGP1291_zpsgsoxxwla.jpg

The Fountain is a nice area to get some sit down time, especially since the bus driver and shrunken head are really funny and worth hanging around for their little bit. They incorporate the audience and it’s similar to the Donkey experience outside of Shrek, but in an English/Potter sort of way….

IMGP1293_zpsnyhg9bpc.jpg

We hit MiB on the way out. Increasing our scores over last year was one of the whole family’s priorities. We were pretty successful at accomplishing that goal over the trip (with the 150 times I think we rode it – we should have been). I’ll have more on that later

Back at the Hotel, it was a quick change and into the pool. I still don’t know how the boys were able to be that active after that big of a lunch at The Leaky Cauldron. All DW and I wanted to do was sit down in the shade and vegge out for a bit. Last year, the boys were still of an age that was amenable to an hour or so of nap/quiet time. We only got that perplexed, “Mom, you’ve got to be kidding…” response out of them this year, when Mom tried to coax them into it. I’ll just say she was a little disappointed. Maybe because it’s just another indication they’re growing up. But, more so that it also meant she didn’t get her nap time in, just IMHO. Mom loves her some vacation naptime….

We got changed and back to the Studios about 3pm.

Obligatory at the Gate PhotoConnect pic...!

1123225_55142866_zpsvrmmzbum.jpg

We’d made no plans, whatsoever. Just a stroll around the Park, taking in whatever rides we wanted, and maybe hitting a few shops. Really, just letting the kids take us wherever they felt like going. I think we hit Simpsons a couple of times, Transformers, and a ride or 2 on The Mummy for Christian and I (always).

We did do one thing as a family that I have to give credit to Mom and Russell for – we rode RRR together. That was a big sacrifice for them. You see, Christian had spent most of the past year talking about how awesome riding while listening to your own music had been and we should all do it again, next trip. I downplayed it since that’s not something that’s ever going to be high on their bucket list. But, out of the blue, Russell said “let’s do it…!”, putting Mom in a tough place. I’ve gotta hand it to her, she said “I’ll give it one more try….”

1123225_55133152_zpsajj41qdz.jpg

I wish the picture showed just how hilarious the ride video at the end turned out to be. We’d never checked it out the times before, but I highly suggest it. It’s expensive, if you want to buy one (we didn’t, though I’d like to have it, now…), but definitely worth checking out for a few laughs. Haven’t seen that look on Mom’s face since the Delivery Room…..

We left the Park around 6:30pm to head over to Antojitos to see what they had available for tables. We’d tried to make reservations via OpenTable.com, just like did to great success last year. But, we were not that on top of it this trip. It seems the CityWalk Restaurants had just switched to NexTable.com. Not a big deal. We gave the new site a look, but no luck. We could see the restaurants. But, all of them showed no availability for reservations between 6pm and 9:30pm. That would be a recurring issue the rest of the trip. I don’t think they’d gotten far integrating everything since we were able to get in every one of them by walking up with never more than a 25 minute wait for a table.

Antojito’s

IMGP1322_zpsg4fsnxgn.jpg

This is a hard restaurant to miss since they’ve decided to use the whole color palette on the exterior. I have to admit, that it does work, though. We were very excited to try this place. We’re always in search of good Southwestern, Tex-Mex and/or South American food. Plus, it’s not something that’s very easy to find where we are. The fact that both boys were born in Texas, Mom’s half South American – who grew up in Texas, and I lived there for 13 years, might have something to do with it. But, that also means we grade hard and have a high standard to be met, when it comes to those types of restaurants.

We put our name on the list and grabbed a ‘Rita at the bar. They have a very extensive ‘Rita menu – frozen and handmade. We hadn’t even had a chance to take a sip when our table was ready. I like the interior. It’s fun and colorful, but not too bright. The bar seems very popular. There were several conventions at the Resort and grabbing a “Rita seemed to be high on the convention agenda.

Mom’s Blood Orange ‘Rita with Photobomb…

IMGP1334_zps5qzhnpcl.jpg

My Handsome George with Photobomb…

IMGP1332_zpsqylivzoz.jpg

The ‘Ritas were good to very good but not great. We’d heard a lot about how they make all of their mixes and such, so were expecting really top notch. Very serviceable, but not in the Gueros (or Trudy’s) in Austin, nor Limones in Asheville range. Do yourself a favor and check out Limones if you’re ever in Asheville. They hand mull all of the fruits for each individually, and hand make some very interesting and unique syrups for their ‘Ritas. Their food is excellent, as well. 3 stars for Antojito ‘Ritas.

We were seated and ordered apps right away while we decided on dinner. The Chips and Salsa were good – a cut above standard with the chips nicely, in-house fried and not oily, and the Salsa was very fresh

IMGP1330_zpsepwofjkt.jpg

And, when they hand make the Guacamole at tableside, no way we could pass that up…..

IMGP1336_zpsbjhsqsas.jpg

IMGP1338_zps4ozzlfvs.jpg

And a Queso Fundido to share: Menonita cheese, topped with chorizo sausage, and ancho spice. Served with warm flour tortillas. An app right in the boys' wheelhouse – gooey melted cheese they can use to quickly turn themselves and the table into a mess in about 30 seconds…..

IMGP1345_zpssinxouug.jpg

Quick note on the guac and the “Guac-ologists”– watch them very closely. The boys were having fun with him while he worked his guac-magic. So, we weren't watching him closely enough after telling him what we wanted him to do. It’s the salt – watch the salt. That spoon they use must hold about a half cup. Our fault, and it pushed ours into the blood pressure danger zone. The Queso was average as were the tortillas. We’d hoped for that authentic, made in house, thick and bready, tortilla that’s often a big indicator to me as to the restaurant’s authenticity and attention to detail. Neither they, nor the Queso were bad. Not at all. They were just middle of the road. So, 3 stars for the guac and 2.5 stars for the Queso Fundito and tortillas.

After trying the apps, I had pretty much decided that this was probably going to be one of those 3 star, upper end Tex-Mex chain restaurant meals, based on what we've gotten so far. Not really a problem, since the prices weren't out of line. I mean, it is a Theme Park Vacation Restaurant. You can’t expect all of them to hit it out of the Park, all of the time. It’s kind of like expecting fine French cuisine at Chefs de France, right….?
So, DW and I thought we’d just kick back, order our entrees, maybe another 3 star “Rita, and let the boys have fun and not worry too much about the rest of the meal.

Mom ordered the Chicken Adobo: Tender slices of ancho chicken breast open flamed with sautéed peppers and onions….

IMGP1351_zpsdluce30n.jpg

She said it was very nice, with the chicken moist and tender – yet with a good char, and a nicely marinated flavor. The beans and rice were surprisingly authentic and nicely done. 3.5 Stars.

Russell had the
Enchiladas Verdes: Chicken tinga, queso fresco, salsa verde, and lime crema…

IMGP1352_zpsl5xspzum.jpg

When I asked what he thought, as an Enchiladas Verdes connoisseur, all I got was “Some of the best ever….!” I had to run that through the Words Spoken with Your Mouth Full” translator, but I’m pretty confident that was a 4 Star Review.

Christian had the Grilled Skirt Steak Fajitas: Grilled skirt steak marinated in ancho chimichurri with sautéed peppers and onions…

IMGP1354_zpswsfysu0g.jpg

These are the real deal. No tough and chewy flank steak here. This was skirt steak - like it's meant to be. And it was flimsy, plastic, picnic fork, tender - no kidding. The marinade was unbelievable – with no heavy salt base that too many have, and they were cooked to a perfect medium rare with a nice char on the outside. They climbed into the top five as some of the best I've had. That includes some pretty impressive places in Amarillo, Abilene, Durango, Santa Fe, Nuevo Laredo, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and way South of the Border (not that place on I-95 heading to Fla… That place is only good for big fireworks – the kind you shoot off on The 4th of July, or the kind you get later if you actually do eat there…) I know I’m putting my fajita cred on the line here, but 4.5 stars for these at Antojitos, no doubt.

My dish comes with a story. It’s the Chile Relleno on the left (battered and lightly fried poblano chile filled with menonita cheese, finished with three chile sauce, black bean purée, queso fresco), and The Sweet Chile Ancho (filled with chile braised pork shoulder carnitas and pickled onions)

IMGP1353_zpsl1bbhxh0.jpg

You see, I’m a closet chile relleno guy. It’s a comfort food kind of thing for me. When it’s good, it’s really good. When it’s bad, it’s a soggy mess of cheese and greasy batter. Since Antojitos seemed to be touting themselves as an upscale Mexican restaurant, I had to give it a try. Well, they’d just taken it off the menu (I guess you can tell I didn't look at the entrees before I ordered…). The waiter was very apologetic, but said he’s really close to the chef, so he’d be happy to ask him what he could do. They came up with this combo, which included a chile relleno the chef threw together himself - off menu.

I can see why they've now put it back on the menu. Excellent. 4.5 stars. Crisp batter, loved the sauce - the best entrée I had this trip. The Sweet Ancho they paired with it was also delicious and unique in a very good way. Carmelized, to the point of sweetness, it went perfectly with the pork shoulder carnitas filling.

Just when we thought the appetizers had put them solidly in the 3 star, middle of the road, Mexican chain restaurant, category, the entrees pulled them right up in to a solid 4. A couple of those entrees were as good as any of their peers we've had from some places who would like you to think they invented the genre. It’s a fun place. We recommend it.

Nothing left but that same, slow, food coma saunter back to RPH – just like the night before….

But, before leaving it here, I just wanted to get off schedule for a bit and show all of you my big souvenir from the trip. There are a few of you heading out to Uni in the next couple of days who wanted to know what the heck it was. Last year I came home sporting that “Manly, Minion” Espresso Cup (which was really a toddler’s cup, but perfect for what I wanted it for…). This year, mine was a whole family thing that I talked the rest of them into doing while we were in Daigon Alley our 2nd to last day.

There’s a photo shop immediately off to your right as you turn from the entrance down the path that leads to Carkitt Market and the Hopping Pot, just past Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes. They do a bang up family video against a green screen that puts you into a full blown Harry Potter travelogue. We had a blast doing it. It was too much fun. We had a great director who directs you through each scene (and you have no idea what that scene actually is, btw). It costs $69.95 , but is $49.95 if you have the PhotoConnect Package. It's a great deal.That includes a nice DVD you pick up about an hour later. Plus, you can download it from your PhotoConnect site. This is the downloaded version which is about half the meg size as the one on the DVD, so not quite as good quality, but serviceable to send and upload (it's the one, below). The DVD version is a really nice production. I know it’s going to be one of those impromptu things we’ll look at for years and years.

Anyway, here it is. Try not to laugh too hard……

On Deck: Water Rides……..

Last edited:

That is a great souvenir!

I also second the Gueros recommendation. Hmm... might have to make the drive to Austin over spring break.

Pictures are lovely......even though I'm not a fan of Mexican food (fajitas and nachos excluded) it did look nice. May have to have a drink at least in there.

The DVD from Rocket is funny.......we bought one from each year we have gone since it opened......very funny to look back on, especially my very first ride on it where I was convinced I was going to die.......lol......

Glad your son and wife went on and enjoyed it, there'll be no stopping younger son now :)

Loved the Travel Log. That looked like it was a lot of fun to do.
It was a blast. I highly recommend it, if you get a chance. The process was as fun as the final product. The director made it really fun for the boys. Not that they need that much encouragement to ham it up.....;)

I thought the price was really reasonable at $49.95 with the twenty buck discount from PhotoConnet. Really, that's the same as an interactive wand...

That is a great souvenir!

I also second the Gueros recommendation. Hmm... might have to make the drive to Austin over spring break.
Man, I love where we live now, but I sure miss Austin sometimes. Nothing like a Gueros Sunday Brunch or an afternoon hanging out on the porch at the old Trudy's. We only lived a few blocks from there.....

Pictures are lovely......even though I'm not a fan of Mexican food (fajitas and nachos excluded) it did look nice. May have to have a drink at least in there.

The DVD from Rocket is funny.......we bought one from each year we have gone since it opened......very funny to look back on, especially my very first ride on it where I was convinced I was going to die.......lol......

Glad your son and wife went on and enjoyed it, there'll be no stopping younger son now :)
I wish we had grabbed it. it's one of those snap decisions I'd do differently if I could. It was hilarious! There's always next time - if I can get DW back on it, of course....

Antojitos's is definitely worth a stop in for a drink. it's a very extensive drink menu and had a good selection of Mojitos as well.....

Excellent updates :thumbsup2 . The whole family looks as if they had a marvellous time.

Fantastic picutres, too, as always :goodvibes .

Adding Antojitos' margaritas to my plans!

Your wife and younger son were very brave. If we EVER get up the nerve to ride RRR we'll have to get the video because no one would believe it of us otherwise. DD (12) has yet to try anything with a big drop and I gave myself permission to opt out of those without shame many years ago. She surprisingly agreed to try Dragon blue side last trip after some encouragement from my friend's older niece. The condition was that I had to ride it too. Eeek! The things we do for our children... It was a bit too much looping/corkscrewing for me. Fortunately DD wasn't that crazy about it either, she's more of a Mummy fan.

Excellent updates :thumbsup2 . The whole family looks as if they had a marvellous time.

Fantastic picutres, too, as always :goodvibes .
Thanks...!

We did have a great time. That's why I've never understood all of those folks that keep wanting to stick Universal with that "it's only for thrill seekers..." or "it's only a couple of day vacation...".

DW and Russell always have as much or more fun as Christian and I and all of us could easily spend more than a week there without batting an eye....

Adding Antojitos' margaritas to my plans!

Your wife and younger son were very brave. If we EVER get up the nerve to ride RRR we'll have to get the video because no one would believe it of us otherwise. DD (12) has yet to try anything with a big drop and I gave myself permission to opt out of those without shame many years ago. She surprisingly agreed to try Dragon blue side last trip after some encouragement from my friend's older niece. The condition was that I had to ride it too. Eeek! The things we do for our children... It was a bit too much looping/corkscrewing for me. Fortunately DD wasn't that crazy about it either, she's more of a Mummy fan.
Hah!

DW did the red side of DD in the front last year, if you can believe it. I don't think she was even able to speak for at least 30 minutes after!

I doubt I'll ever get her to do that again. Definitely a one and done experience for her.....

So glad you gave such an extensive review of the foods at Antojitos. I think we may try that. How was the atmosphere, music, lighting...

We will be there enough days that we will likely build up the courage to go for it on RRR this time! Its something ride wusses like me have to talk ourselves into (or out of ;) !). But yes, I can see an after-ride video in our future if only to prove that we actually rode it! I am like shumi and will likely think I am going to die the first time....but I have done that on multiple rides in the past and now love them....its always the first trip that you have to convince yourself....then you love it! ::yes::

Totally awesome food reviews again! I am very sure son #2 will LOVE Antojitos. It can never be too spicy for him! There are many stories to tell about that! :rotfl: I personally will just enjoy the mojitos!

Its really hard to find the time to do a review justice, and you really take the time to give a real sense of your experiences! :thanks:

We are hanging in there patiently waiting for our turn to visit the darkside again...glad you were able to do what you wanted when you wanted and just went on impulse. I am definitely looking forward to THAT!! :yay:

So glad you gave such an extensive review of the foods at Antojitos. I think we may try that. How was the atmosphere, music, lighting...
It's a nice atmosphere. Lots of color, not too bright and they have a mariachi band that plays on the stage every hour. Liked the bar area and it would be an easy place to hang out with some apps and a couple of drinks....

Love the HP Travelogue! Definitely putting it on our list of must's! Thanks for posting it out of order for those of us headed there next week. Will have to try Antojitos - coming from Houston, is it more like a chain (Pappasitos/Gringos) or a mom and pop local hole in the wall? I am not sure how many of the rides I will get on - my family loves them all, but besides being a chicken, I get motion sick on some rides. Rock and Rollercoaster I can ride (just not multiple times) Star Tours is out (unless I close my eyes the whole time) and Tower of Terror I am just to chicken to ride due to the big (and unknown number of) drops!! I am thinking I will skip DM (Minions) but try most everything else based on a thread on the Parks board about motion sickness. I have my Bonine packed!

We will be there enough days that we will likely build up the courage to go for it on RRR this time! Its something ride wusses like me have to talk ourselves into (or out of ;) !). But yes, I can see an after-ride video in our future if only to prove that we actually rode it! I am like shumi and will likely think I am going to die the first time....but I have done that on multiple rides in the past and now love them....its always the first trip that you have to convince yourself....then you love it! ::yes::

Totally awesome food reviews again! I am very sure son #2 will LOVE Antojitos. It can never be too spicy for him! There are many stories to tell about that! :rotfl: I personally will just enjoy the mojitos!

Its really hard to find the time to do a review justice, and you really take the time to give a real sense of your experiences! :thanks:

We are hanging in there patiently waiting for our turn to visit the darkside again...glad you were able to do what you wanted when you wanted and just went on impulse. I am definitely looking forward to THAT!! :yay:
I'm sure he's going to love it. Our two sure did! Its a great atmosphere for the family without feeling like a family place.

And, Thanks for the kind words. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. But, you're right, it's amazing how much time these things can take. You think it will be no prob to knock out an update in an hour, but all of a sudden you look up and everybody's already headed to bed...

We are thinking of visiting Universal instead of Disney in the next year or two. I am enjoying your report :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter