“Hey bartender, let the whiskey fall” – 2010 F&W Report - 12/8 - 3D Dessert Party

Dis_Yoda, thanks for another great review. We have done this event at least one every year back to the Odyssey days (and did the Wine View twice last year) but did not book this year...any comments about the crowds and quality of food/wine compared to prior years? I still have Oct 23 as an open night and may consider booking this (I'm having PFTS withdrawal pangs!!!) - what has turned us off over time are the crowds (ie. not much luck finding tables and we don't want to be a slave to holding a table either) plus the quality of wines (I'm no wine expert but it seems lower retail priced wines than the early years of this event has been the steady trend).

Great reviews of the dining events :thumbsup2

Thanks! Its always easy to review the events that are so tasty.

Thanks for the wonderful update...truely enjoying your food reviews.

:goodvibes I'm glad you are enjoying!

Dis_Yoda, thanks for another great review. We have done this event at least one every year back to the Odyssey days (and did the Wine View twice last year) but did not book this year...any comments about the crowds and quality of food/wine compared to prior years? I still have Oct 23 as an open night and may consider booking this (I'm having PFTS withdrawal pangs!!!) - what has turned us off over time are the crowds (ie. not much luck finding tables and we don't want to be a slave to holding a table either) plus the quality of wines (I'm no wine expert but it seems lower retail priced wines than the early years of this event has been the steady trend).

The last time I went to this event was 3 years ago. The quality of the food was about the same. In fact, the desserts were better but that could have been because of who the chefs were. There did seem to be less desserts and good cheese than 2007 though but still enjoyable.

The wines on the other hand. The Inniskillin guy was not generous with his pours even when there was 45 minutes left in the event & he had many full bottles still at the table. It was like 1 sip worth. The other pours from the wineries were ok. The quality of the wines - well many of them that I recognized are wines I can get at my local shop for between $8 to $25 (well besides the Inniskillin wines). This seemed to be a bit cheaper than the wines I remember from my last PftS.

The crowds were there. All the tables looked to be full, but as someone that was in the Wine View Lounge I didn't really pay too much attention to the other tables as I knew I had one already.

Great reviews! I bow to you for being able to do the Grand Marnier event AND PFTS on the same day:worship:. We're going to this Saturday's PFTS, and will also be in the Wine View. Did they hand out gift bags like they did last year?

Just a comment about the crowds & tables outside of the WVL... We were there the same night and didn't join the mad dash for the tables. We didn't have a hard time finding a table to stand at and if we had cared to find a table to sit at, we could have headed to the back and probably found one without a problem. We wound up sitting at a table with about 30 minutes left, which was perfect for us because it's when we got our last fill of wine and 1 more dessert that we savored for 30 minutes! From the people I talked to at the event, there were more tables this year than in the past.

Another great review:thumbsup2

I really appreciate your listing the food samplings. I have some food allergies so I have to be careful with what I eat and how it is prepared. Your report more or less confirms that I made the right call by not booking PFTS as there would only be a few things I could eat.

Just a comment about the crowds & tables outside of the WVL... We were there the same night and didn't join the mad dash for the tables. We didn't have a hard time finding a table to stand at and if we had cared to find a table to sit at, we could have headed to the back and probably found one without a problem. We wound up sitting at a table with about 30 minutes left, which was perfect for us because it's when we got our last fill of wine and 1 more dessert that we savored for 30 minutes! From the people I talked to at the event, there were more tables this year than in the past.

Thanks onelilspark and Dis_Yoda, discussed with DW and I think we are going to stick with our plan (Narcoossees on Saturday, CG on Sunday)...I thought about cancelling these and booking PFTS (money wise I think PFTS for two equals about two signature dinners with TIW).

We still have the 3D dessert, French regional lunch and Taste Shake & Indulge (and eight seminars) booked to get some F&W events in.

Thank you all for the reviewsof the PFTS.

A question - did you get to keep the glasses? and were they the same size as the other (more recent) years?.

Thanks.

Ed

Great reviews! I bow to you for being able to do the Grand Marnier event AND PFTS on the same day:worship:. We're going to this Saturday's PFTS, and will also be in the Wine View. Did they hand out gift bags like they did last year?

It was a lot of alcohol in one day when combined with the beer between the events & the stuff we had before the Taste, Shake, Indulge. I think if I do that next year - there won't be any additional drinking outside the events.

We did not get gift bags. We did leave the event about 30 minutes early but still, I was a little disappointed to not get a gift bag like the people last year did.

Thats good to know! Thanks for the info :) Since if I do it solo next year, I won't be booking the Wine View Lounge for 1.

Great reviews!
Thanks for reading along!

Another great review:thumbsup2

I really appreciate your listing the food samplings. I have some food allergies so I have to be careful with what I eat and how it is prepared. Your report more or less confirms that I made the right call by not booking PFTS as there would only be a few things I could eat.
Yeah - there are definitely tons of various ingredients in each dish that would make it hard for those with food allergies. At least the dessert party shouldn't have anything too exotic at it!

Thanks onelilspark and Dis_Yoda, discussed with DW and I think we are going to stick with our plan (Narcoossees on Saturday, CG on Sunday)...I thought about cancelling these and booking PFTS (money wise I think PFTS for two equals about two signature dinners with TIW).

We still have the 3D dessert, French regional lunch and Taste Shake & Indulge (and eight seminars) booked to get some F&W events in.
That plan with Narcoossees and California Grill is always a smart move! While I haven't done my review of CG yet, it was absolutely amazing yet again even if people suck and wear Gym Shorts to it. (Totally ranted about that on facebook when it happened) All the events you have are things we have done or are doing & I know they will be great! 2 more days until time for the French Regional Lunch & 3D Dessert Party! I can't wait even if it means vacation is over the next day.

Thank you all for the reviewsof the PFTS.

A question - did you get to keep the glasses? and were they the same size as the other (more recent) years?.

Thanks.

Ed
Thanks for reading along! You do get to keep the wine glasses - they were the same size as what I received back a few years ago.

October 3rd
Food Court

We woke up early this morning to get to Magic Kingdom for opening!

Breakfast was the usual -

All Star Bounty Platter - Eggs, French Toast, Potatoes, Bacon, Sausage and a Biscuit for my husband.

He was happy!

Croissant for me

10 seconds in the microwave made it perfect.

Main Street Confectionery

I promised my husband we would have some downtime this day to make up for the long day the day before in EPCOT. We completed Fantasyland & Tomorrowland and headed up Main Street to shop a little. I picked up two treats to enjoy over the course of the week.

023co.jpg

Fresh Halloween Rice Crispy Balls & Cheddar Cheese Popcorn!

The rice crispy balls were freshly made and still tasty when I ate one of them later that afternoon.

The cheddar cheese popcorn well, I haven't touched it yet. :rolleyes1 I'll enjoy it sometime I'm sure!

Grand Floridian Cafe

As we finished shopping in Main Street. We debated on Tony's or travelling across the bay to get something we know would be good - Grand Floridian Cafe. It was a no-brainer for me which one we would go for!

We were seated immediately after arrival.

I knew exactly what I wanted - my husband took a bit to debate between a salad and a hamburger.

To drink - I went with the Ultimate Long Island A drink I enjoyed greatly my last Disney trip.
019zp.jpg

This was also my first look at the new Disney drink menu. I noticed certain things were missing like my husband's favorite drink along with some new additions that maybe would be interesting.

To eat, well I went with my favorite sandwich, The Grand

022at.jpg

Rosemary bread, turkey, onion straws, bacon, cheese sauce. Where can you go wrong?

I never seem to be able to finish it though.

My husband decided to go for Caesar Salad w/ Grilled Chicken
020yz.jpg

He had no complaints.

Our server was friendly and the service was quick. I love this place for lunch!

Main Street Confectionery

Fresh Halloween Rice Crispy Balls & Cheddar Cheese Popcorn!

The rice crispy balls were freshly made and still tasty when I ate one of them later that afternoon.

The cheddar cheese popcorn well, I haven't touched it yet. :rolleyes1 I'll enjoy it sometime I'm sure!

I am so getting this when we go, maybe it will be Xmas rice crispy balls but they look so good!

Thanks for the great update. We love eating at the Grand Floridain cafe too...popcorn::

I agree! Maybe one day we'll try it for dinner but until then, lunch will keep me happy!

I am so getting this when we go, maybe it will be Xmas rice crispy balls but they look so good!

Hopefully they will! They have the Christmas Sprinkles for sale like they do the Halloween so I'm going to assume they will. :) (Although $5 for Mickey Sprinkles to take home is a bit much)

That plan with Narcoossees and California Grill is always a smart move! While I haven't done my review of CG yet, it was absolutely amazing yet again even if people suck and wear Gym Shorts to it. (Totally ranted about that on facebook when it happened) All the events you have are things we have done or are doing & I know they will be great! 2 more days until time for the French Regional Lunch & 3D Dessert Party! I can't wait even if it means vacation is over the next day.

Thanks so much, can't wait for your 3D Dessert and French regional reviews.

California Grill

As I promised my husband a down day after the EPCOT long day, after lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe we headed back to the resort to relax. He wanted to watch football & drink some beer we picked up at the Hess Station outside of Magic Kingdom ($7.19 for a 6 pack of Miller Lite is still way better than the prices at the hotel)

While he watched football, I ended up going shopping with a friend that is currently working at Disney.

As doing some damage shopping, I returned to get us ready for our meal on top of the Contemporary. We checked in right on time at 6:00pm and were immediately led upstairs to wait at the bar until our table was ready. It wasn't long until we were sat right next to a server station in the far right area of the restaurant. I was a little sad about our place in the restaurant as we were around people that thought *gym shorts* were what they should wear to a place like California Grill & here I was in my little black dress & heels.

Our server came by quickly to explain the menu and take our orders.

I had a Long Island Iced Tea that was amazing. :woohoo:

025fb.jpg

To start, we split a flatbread - BBQ Chicken w/ Triple Cheese, Corn & Red Bell Pepper Marmalade, and Fingerling Potato 'Chips'
027ju.jpg

We both really enjoyed this! I'm glad we split it though as it would have been too much for 1 person to enjoy. The corn and red peppers really complimented the bbq chicken. My husband probably enjoyed the potato chips the most though.

For my entrée - I debated for a while. I thought about getting the Rock Shrimp Salad as I've had that many times in the past and always enjoyed it or thought about Sushi. I ended up doing something completely different.
Potato & Cheese Ravioli w/ Shaved Black Truffle, Baby Squash & Corn Sauce

030ha.jpg

I'm so glad I went with something different. It was amazing.

My husband had the Oak-fired Filet of Beef w/ "Loaded" Mashed Potatoes, Broccolini, and Teriyaki BBQ Sauce
028gk.jpg

No complaints from him!

For dessert, My husband went with the Valrhona Chocolate Cake
031vh.jpg

It was on top of a bed of marshmallow, peanut brittle & peanut butter ice cream in a chocolate shell.

He said the ice cream tasted like a peanut butter cup. I never got a bite!

I decided to go for the Tanzanian Creme Brulee

032hi.jpg

It was great! I ended up stealing some of the marshmallow of my husband's dessert for part of my Creme Brulee.

Hi how much did it cost you for tickets to this event? Its seems there was a ton of food for you to eat so well worth the price but I would like to go to this next year so please let me know . Thanks

Party of the Senses

I’m going to apologize here for the picture quality of the event – my normal camera apparently wasn’t charged& thus only had my iphone for pictures. With the low lighting, not many of them of them turned out well.

As we left England, it was right at 5pm. That’s when you could start checking in for the event. We were given our wristband (different color than non-Wine View Lounge members) and a magnetic tag to wear on our clothing.

060lw.jpg

We put them on and decided to visit Martin Short at O’Canada.

Around 5:50pm, we headed back to the area outside of World Showplace Plaza. Shortly after 6:00pm, those in the Wine View Lounge were lead into the lobby area of the Showplace & given a glass of Champagne until we were led to our tables in the middle of room which were directly in front of the stage for the band and the Cirque acts that played throughout the evening.

Our waitress quickly greeted herself and asked if we would like an alcoholic beverage and that the booths would be open for us shortly & in the mean time we could visit the cheese station in the back of the gated area. Well, as soon as I got up to get us some cheese, the chef for the amuse bouche station was like “Where are you going? I have something for you!” Ok! Works for me!

033gr.jpg

It was Sable Fish that was wrapped in this rice paper and cooked. It was amazing!

After we enjoyed our fish, I went up to the cheese booth for the Wine View Lounge members. Here, I was kinda disappointed as the cheese was kinda well plain. It was a brie, cheddar, blue and some other common cheese. For the money we were paying for this lounge, I wanted something better.

034ty.jpg

The outside booths were serving food & wine at this point so I decided to show my husband how you got food at the Party and visit the nearby booth.

Last time I was at Party for the Senses – the stations were set up with 6 colors. This time you had both colors and a cooking utensil to designate each section of stations.

The first section we visited was the Orange Whisk

036mr.jpg

We got King Crab Ravioli Infused w/ Truffles from Pascal Oudin of Pascal on Ponce in Miami, FL.

This had to be my husband’s favorite dish of the night. He went back for seconds and maybe thirds. The later part of the party is a bit of a blur as I had a bit too much to drink.

We also got Braised Veal Short Ribs topped w/ a Pear and Cherry Chutney w/ Parnsip & Yukon Gold Potato Mash from Javier Pareja of Disney’s Yachy & Beach Club Resort Catering.

To me, it just tasted like my pot roast I make at home. >< Still tasty though!

The other option for food at this station was the Braised Beef Cheeks w/ Cabernet Dijon Mustard Reduction from John Sarich the Culinary Director of Chateau Ste. Michelle Wine Estates. We never did get over to try that over the course of the evening.

The wineries present in this section were Domaines Barons de Rothschild, Red Newt Cellars, & Chateau Ste Michelle.

The second section we visited was the Yellow Wine Glass

We started here with Wagyu Beef Short Ribs Braised w/ Red Wine Pan Seared Boniato, Potato Cakes, Sour Cream, Chives, Sweet Onion & Wild Mushroom Ragu from Dylan Schauwecker of The Wave & Disney’s Contemporary Resort.
035cxv.jpg

This was amazing! Much better than the short ribs from the first station.

The other treat we had here was Butternut Squash Risotto, Baby Frisee, Aged Balsamic w/ Pumpkin Seed Brittle from Frank Vega at Mama Melrose in Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

037wo.jpg

This was awesome as well. I had a couple more over the course of the evening.

The other option which we didn’t try was Tagine of Lamb from Samad Benzari at the Morocco Pavilion in EPCOT.

The wineries present in this section were Fairview, Florida Orange Groves, & Radeberger Gruppe.

The third section we visited was the Pink Wine Bottle

Here we had Duck Veracruz from Jamey Fader at the Big Red F Restaurant, Denver, CO.

I was a bit disappointed in this dish. The duck was a bit overcooked and thus really tough to eat. I could have just gotten a bad plate of it but I never went back to try again.

The next dish was Spicy Quince-Glazed Grilled Pork Tenderloin w/ Chilean Salsa Verde & Creole-Style Quinoa Salad from Ruth Van Waerebeek of Concha y Toro Winery in Chile.

It wasn’t spicy enough for me but too spicy for my husband. Different strokes I guess.

The third dish in this section was listed in the menu booklet as Pan Seared Diver Scollops over Sauteed Fennel and a Pear Tomato, Caper and Opal Basil Butter from Bob Waggoner of PBS Ucook!

The dish I received was actually lamb though. Either way it was tasty & pleased with it.

The wineries present in this section were Emiliana Winery, Trivento Winery, Choncho Y Toro, Chandon Winery.

The fourth section we visited was Purple Fork & Knife

The first dish we tried here was the Halibut en Escabeche from Juan Carlos Rodriguez of the Ford Plantation Club in Richmond Hill, GA.

040at.jpg

It was great.

The second dish was Pan Seared Palmetto Squab Breast, Shrimp Okra Pilaf w/ Plum Glaze from Frank Lee at Maverick Southern Kitchen, Charleston, SC.

039gh.jpg

I found this to be a bit tough to eat. The pilaf was good though.

The last dish in this section that we didn’t try was Pecan Shortbread w/ Roasted Fig Goat Cheese, Micro Arugula & Crispy Pancetta from Sondra Bernstein & John Toulze from the girl & the fig from Sonoma, CA

The wineries in this section were Mouton Cadet, Macmurray Rancy and The Boston Beer Company.

The fifth section was the Green Corkscrew

Here we had Wild Boar Agnolotti Stuffed Ricotta & Portobello Mushrooms from Andrew Turner at Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic Kingdom.

I enjoyed this.

There was also Braised Venison and Truffle Ravioli, Roasted Forrest Mushrooms, Brodo and Parmesan Frico from Michael Reitzler from Disney’s California Grill.

Also tasty.

The last dish in this section was Seared Diver Scallops w/ Heart of Palm, Green Mango relish w/ Grapefruit Scotch Bonnet Mojo from Dominique Macquet at Dominique’s on Magazine in New Orleans.

We didn’t try this dish but it had the consistently longest line for the evening. I’m sure if I was a huge fan of scallops I would have been all over it though.

The wineries present were Rudera Winery, Les Vins Georges Duboeuf Romaneche, Ravenswood Winery and Kendrick’s Gin & Stoli Vodka

The last savory section was the Blue Plate

The only savory dish we tried here was Citrus BBQ Pork Ribs Slow Roasted from Paradiso 37’s Jose L. Camey.

So so good!

The other dishes that we never did try were Anthony Scott’s from Flying Fish Fragrantly-Spiced Local Day-Boat Ahi Tuna Fregola Sarda w/ Mediettanean Accentuations & Janess Freidel’s of the The Grill at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Grill Mediterrean Roasted Vegetables Farro.

The wineries/etc present were Champagne Nicolas Fueillate, Caymus Conundrum, Inniskillin, Stella Artois, Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea, Twinings Gourmet Tea Bar.

Now onto the desserts!
The desserts present were

Baby Charmel – Keegan Gerhard, Food Network Challenge d Bar Desserts, Denver, CO

041kv.jpg

So freaking good! I could have had more if I hadn’t been so full by the time I had it.

Vanilla Roasted Pineapple Lime Yogurt Sorbet – Macadamia Crumble – Vanilla Bean Custard – Lisa Bailey, d Bar Desserts, Denver, CO

Also really good.

Warm Chocolate Almond Cake w/ Black Currant Sorbet & Creamy Strawberry Verrine w/ Strawberry Vodka - Lothar Neumaier – Executive Pastry Chef, EPCOT

I didn’t’ have this but my husband did. He ate it all so it must have been good.

Tropical Fruit Pave – Kristen Farmer, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa (V&A specifically I think)

Assorted Chocolates – Normal Love Confections, Ft. Meyers, FL

042rjx.jpg

These were so amazing!

Overall the evening was great. My husband and I had a bit too much to drink to enjoy the full bar that was in the Wine View Lounge. We did like knowing we had a table we wouldn’t have to worry about losing though and it made it so that I could keep my tote there under the table cloth w/o having to carry it around all evening. My husband wasn’t completely thrilled with everything as the party like that he is out of his element but he is glad he went once. Next year he told me to go on my own though as he knows I enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter