“Don’t worry…October isn’t hot or crowded"- Mother & son 2-week trip *UPDATED 1-13-13

Day 14: “A quick change in plans…”

Andrew and I headed out to the Magic Kingdom. However, we took one look at the bus lines at Pop Century, and made a different plan. We were just tired of crowds and heat.

We are used to coming in the off-season (Late January/early February) and seeing the bus stop at Pop Century like this:

From 2 years ago (January 2010)…

What we saw this morning…

Ugh! So we decided to go to Downtown Disney, have a snack and shop a little (Andrew wanted to look at a specific souvenir) and then head over to a park.

Besides, the line for Downtown Disney was non-existent, and we were “lined out.”

After shopping a bit with no crowds whatsoever, we headed back to “Cookes of Dublin” for some Garlic and Parmesan Skinny Chips...

…and another Dough Bar. Yum!

Feeling rested and ready to tackle a park, Andrew and I headed over to Hollywood Studios. We saw “Lights, Motors, Action!,” which Andrew has always liked. Typical teen boy.

We didn’t spend a lot of time in Hollywood Studios. We headed over to Animal Kingdom instead.

We had some of our favorite counter service food/snacks. That included the egg rolls and fried rice from the Yak and Yeti…

…and a jalepeno cheese pretzel. So amazingly good!

We rode Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur, and Kilimanjaro Safari. Our safari had to stop and wait for some an animal to get out of the road, and it was right in front of the cheetah, who happened to just stand perfectly still for a photo.

We also got to see the lion…

And Andrew got a great shot! These are HIS photo of the lions, and a giraffe, taken with a point-and-shoot. He’s getting to be a pretty good photographer.

We then rode Expedition Everest 7 times in a row, up until the park closed. We LOVE that ride! (Andrew wasn't really bored...he just likes to pose silly for ride photos)

Again, we wandered out slowly, as Animal Kingdom is so beautiful at night.

Getting close to the end of our trip. It’s been great, and we’ve got a lot planned for tomorrow.

I have been lurking on your report for a couple of weeks. I keep meaning to come and comment on everything I have read and seen, and there is so much I want to say, but for now...

I am so in awe of your photos. Every single one! :worship:

What a gift you have, and I see from that last update that the talent is already flowing down to your son.

I also commend you for traveling along with your 14 year old son, and him for being willing to take the trip with you. Having just (barely) survived a trip in June with 14 year olds, I know the issues a trip with that demographic can present!

Kudos to both of you for enjoying your time together!

Dee

I have been lurking on your report for a couple of weeks. I keep meaning to come and comment on everything I have read and seen, and there is so much I want to say, but for now...

I am so in awe of your photos. Every single one! :worship:

What a gift you have, and I see from that last update that the talent is already flowing down to your son.

Thank you...what a nice thing to say. :goodvibes

I also commend you for traveling along with your 14 year old son, and him for being willing to take the trip with you. Having just (barely) survived a trip in June with 14 year olds, I know the issues a trip with that demographic can present!

I think the one-on-one helped a lot. Being the youngest of 5, he doesn't get that a whole lot. We had a blast together.

Day 15: "A picture perfect day."

I'm not sure why, but on our last few trips, it seems that one of our best days, is one of our last. And that was certainly the case here. While we had a blast every day, today was just overall a really great day.

We started our day over at the Magic Kingdom. As usual, we rode Pirates first. I dont know how or why that has become our tradition, but it has, when we go to the Magic Kingdom. It was hot (of course!) so Andrew and I headed over to get a beloved Dole Whip.

We also went to Philharmagic, TTA, and Big Thunder. Then, because I love them oh so very much, I got another Fruit and Nutella waffle. I loved it just as much as the last time I had it. Hands down my favorite food on the entire trip.

Finishing up at the Magic Kingdom, we headed back to Animal Kingdom. We really like that park. Sometimes I read people say that they skip Animal Kingdom, or only spend a half-day there. To each their own, but we love this park, and spend a lot of days here.

We rode the usual (Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl), walked the trails, and also rode Safari twice, including the second to last vehicle of the day. As we were standing in line for our first ride earlier in the day, a castmember came by quietly and asked if it were only the two of us. When I said "Yes," she said to follow her. So we by-passed everyone else and she led us through a gate, and over to a safari vehicle already loaded up and waiting, except it was equipped for a wheelchair, and there wasnt anyone in a wheelchair needing to be loaded. So the castmember whisked us into the front row (it can only seat 2, with room next to it for a wheelchair) and away we went. That was quick!

I had on my long 55-250mm telephoto lens, and when the vehicle paused before heading out, I took a picture of the Safari sign. The driver then turned around and said, "Hey, I'm over here!" jokingly, but I surprised him by swinging my camera, telephoto lens and all, in his direction and taking his photo. He was just joking and didn't think I'd actually take his photo. I love Disney castmembers! They're great!!

I really love this next photo... it just reminds me of everything I love about the ride:

This little fella parked himself in the road for a bit, and we had to wait for him to move.

My attempt at an artistic shot ...

This photo shows how empty the vehicle was at the end of the day. We were in the second to last one.

And we were fortunate to see the lion again. We've had good luck on safaris at the end of the day with good views of the animals.

By the time we left the Safari ride, the park was closing, and there weren't many people there.

It had been a great day so far, and we weren't ready for it to end. So off to Hollywood Studios we went! We hadn't seen Fantasmic yet, and I really wanted to. We rode Star Tours, and were surprised to see that the line for Toy Story wasn't long at all. It said 45 minutes, but it ended up being a little less than 30. We then headed over to Fantasmic.

Being my camera was new to me, I wasn't sure how to go about taking photos at night, but I gave it my best shot. I was pretty happy with how my photos turned out, for a DSLR rookie.

It had been a long, but very good, AWESOME day. A picture perfect Disney day!!

Well, I have to say that your last two days at the world were wonderful and pictures continue to be lovely! I can't believe you saw the lions two days in a row. Is that even possible? I have to tell you that I have the worst luck with the lions and I am very jealous of your pictures. I may have to "borrow" one for my TR and pretend I took it. :rotfl2: Don't worry - I say that to everyone with good lion pictures. My failure rate is so high that I didn't even ride Safari in October because I didn't want to be disappointed - how sad is that.

Nice shots in Fantasmic. Despite the expense, I am taking my brother's family to the dinner package (well - we are actually doing lunch) because I haven't seen it in years.

I know that feeling of being "lined out". It's happened to me a time or two.

So glad you last day was your best day.

Thank you for sharing your trip and your wonderful pictures!

I love your trip report! Your pictures are amazing and make me feel like I am right there at DW.

I would love to visit Alaska someday. I LOVE moose and I have never been able to spot a male moose in the wild (we also like to vacation at National Parks). We've seen a ton of bear, but the male moose just continues to elude me. :(

I don't care for the F&W Festival either (blasphemy, I know! :)) We have gone to DW in October the last four years and I miss how relaxed Epcot is during other times of the year. Even on recommended park days, WS is always crowded and loud.

I look forward to reading the end of your report!

Hi! I just started reading your wonderful trip report, and I'm hooked! Thank you for sharing it with us! I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

I can't believe you saw the lions two days in a row. Is that even possible? I have to tell you that I have the worst luck with the lions and I am very jealous of your pictures. I may have to "borrow" one for my TR and pretend I took it. :rotfl2: Don't worry - I say that to everyone with good lion pictures. My failure rate is so high that I didn't even ride Safari in October because I didn't want to be disappointed - how sad is that.

I've had the best luck seeing the lion, and other animals, out at the later, sometimes the latest, safari ride. I think they're either knowing they are going get fed, or brought in, or whatever, but they've been pretty active that time. Also, I ride the Safari multiple times each trip....it's such a favorite of mine.

Here's wishing you some pixie dust that you'll see lots of animals...especially the lions...on your next trip. :tinker:

Nice shots in Fantasmic. Despite the expense, I am taking my brother's family to the dinner package (well - we are actually doing lunch) because I haven't seen it in years.

Ooh, you'll have such a nice time. Dinner and a show. I really like "Fantasmic!"

I love your trip report! Your pictures are amazing and make me feel like I am right there at DW.

Thank you! I wish I "was" there right now...LOL!

I would love to visit Alaska someday. I LOVE moose and I have never been able to spot a male moose in the wild (we also like to vacation at National Parks). We've seen a ton of bear, but the male moose just continues to elude me. :(

Alaska is a very beautiful place. I hope you are able to visit some day.

Not a male moose, but this lovely lady was in our front yard a couple of weeks ago...

I don't care for the F&W Festival either (blasphemy, I know! :)) We have gone to DW in October the last four years and I miss how relaxed Epcot is during other times of the year. Even on recommended park days, WS is always crowded and loud.

Yes! That's it exactly. It just isn't as quiet as I would prefer.

Hi! I just started reading your wonderful trip report, and I'm hooked! Thank you for sharing it with us! I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

Thank you! :goodvibes

I am having a great day...snowing here in Alaska. Hope you're having a wonderful day, too.

You're from Pennsylvania, hm? My son, Andrew, is a HUGE Philadelphia Eagles fan. He wore one of their shirts almost the entire trip. (*See post #81 of Andrew on the Everest ride) :thumbsup2

I just finished reading your trip report, and wanted to let you know I really enjoyed it. Your pictures are gorgeous. Your whole trip seems really relaxing. I don't like crowds much either, so I understand how you felt the night of the parade when you got stuck. Something similar happened to us on one of our trips and it is scary . The darkness seems to make the crowds scarier.

Thanks for posting your report!

Your animal photos are just amazing!! You are great with your DSLR. I just got one for Christmas. It is going to take me forever to get to learn how to use it. Still need the better lens, though. Not too much zoom with the one that comes with it. I got the Canon Rebel T4i. Took a brief 1 hour class on the how tos. I forgot "how to" already.:lmao:

I just finished reading your trip report, and wanted to let you know I really enjoyed it. Your pictures are gorgeous. Your whole trip seems really relaxing. I don't like crowds much either, so I understand how you felt the night of the parade when you got stuck. Something similar happened to us on one of our trips and it is scary . The darkness seems to make the crowds scarier.

Thanks for posting your report!

Thank you! Our trip was really relaxing...one of the benefits of such a long visit.

And yeah, the wall-to-wall crowd at the Magic Kingdom that night was scary...I'm just not used to that.

Your animal photos are just amazing!! You are great with your DSLR. I just got one for Christmas. It is going to take me forever to get to learn how to use it. Still need the better lens, though. Not too much zoom with the one that comes with it. I got the Canon Rebel T4i. Took a brief 1 hour class on the how tos. I forgot "how to" already.:lmao:

Nice! My new camera is a Canon Rebel T3i. You'll do great with your T4i! I watched the DVD that came with the camera, and some YouTube videos...and I'm still wrapping my head around all the info.

One site someone mentioned to me that has been really helpful is http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/

You can play around with different settings on a simulated camera, and see how the picture would look if you took it. Pretty cool.

Good luck with your new camera. Have fun!!

Day 16: “Boo hoo…the last day of our vacation.”

One might think that after 2+ weeks at Disney World, we’d be ready to leave. Nope. Not at all. It’s been a wonderful vacation, and we’re sad to see it end. The only thing to ease the sadness is knowing we will see family on our return.

Andrew and I had been looking at different things to get for family members back home, so today was our day to make final decisions and go shopping.

But first…we had one more special lunch planned. We started our day in Epcot. We rode Mission: Space (again, thought this best before eating). Andrew has really fallen in love with this ride. We also had time to ride Living With the Land before our lunch reservation.

We had never eaten at “Chefs de France,” so that was our last reservation. We arrived and were quickly seated.

We went with the Fixed Price menu. Andrew tried the lobster bisque. One nice thing he loved about this trip was being able to sample some different kinds of food he never had before…like lamb, and lobster. He absolutely loved the lobster bisque.

I had the French onion soup, which I really enjoyed...tons of melted cheese on top.

Andrew ordered the macaroni and cheese…

And I ordered the quiche. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty much the same quiche I had gotten at the French bakery. I should have been more adventurous. But I enjoyed it…it was good.

We both ordered the crème brulee…delicious!

And them Remy came by to visit! So cute…

After lunch, we had time for one last Spaceship Earth ride. I can tell Andrew is getting a little bummed about leaving. He has really had a great time. We picked up a few souvenirs for people, then headed over to the Magic Kingdom to do some last minute shopping. While there we rode Space Mountain, Big Thunder, the TTA and Pirates. We don’t want to leave. :sad:

We had one more fill of some of our favorite snacks…a Dole Whip, glazed almonds, and a cream cheese pretzel. I think that’s a balanced dinner, don’t you?

Back at the hotel, we packed up the souvenirs. Here’s what we got:

For my oldest son, who just graduated college, we got him sugar-free candy from Germany (he doesn’t eat much sugar), tea from England (he loves tea), some Sasquatch soap from Canada (we love watching the “Finding Big Foot” show on t.v. together…it’s so corny and the re-enactments are hilariously funny), and since he is a Minnesota Vikings fan, some purple and gold M&M’s from the Main Street candy shop:

For my second oldest son, who is still in college, we got him a Pirates Chemistry t-shirt (he is studying chemistry in an engineering program) from the Pirates of the Caribbean, and since he is a Green Bay Packers fan, green and yellow jelly beans from the Main Street candy shop:

For my older daughter, who teaches ballet, we got her a purse from France, some chocolate, and some more chocolate:

For my younger daughter, still in high school, we got her a bit more (since she really debated coming with or not, so this was harder for her)...some Ghirardelli white chocolate mocha mix (she loves it, and we are having trouble finding it in Alaska), some cotton candy (her favorite sweet), a lollipop from the Main Street candy shop, some Maple fudge from Canada (she always gets some when she comes), some Mars Mud from Mission: Space (she got some earlier, and the dog ruined it), some chocolate, and a Remy stuffed animal (probably her favorite Disney movie):

We hung out, packed, walked around the resort, and kind of moped because we had to leave.

Magical Express picked us up early the next morning, and we had a thankfully uneventful flight home. I have to say that the flights both to and from Disney went without a single hitch. We used free frequent flyer miles, being routed through Minneapolis and Detroit…and really, they were all pleasant flights.

Thank you for reading my trip report. We had a wonderful, magical time, and it’s been a blessing to be able to share just a bit of that with others. Until next time!!

I'm so sad your trip is over too! I had such fun reading your TR and loved your pics :goodvibes Perfect gifts for the kids - hopefully next trip with be with the whole family!

Really enjoyed reading your report and looking at your beautiful photos. Thank you for the photo tip site. Hope you aren't having too bad of a winter up there.

Really enjoyed reading your report and looking at your beautiful photos.

Thank you very much.

Thank you for the photo tip site.

You're welcome. :goodvibes

Hope you aren't having too bad of a winter up there.

It's been a very interesting winter. Up - down. 2 weeks ago and it was raining in January, not snowing....then today it was -30 this morning. Brrr!

But it's almost Iron Dog and Iditarod time...gotta' love living in Alaska!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter