Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #31
Ilovestitch
DIS Veteran

I'm straight but up until a month ago I was a manager of an Abercrombie & Fitch and we had more gay guys than straight working there! I thought it was awesome! I am not very good w/putting together outfits for myself so I would rely on my gay coworker to "dress me"- they loved it. I would say Abercrombie & Fitch is a very gay friendly work environment.

-Stephanie
Trips to WDW: '82 Ft. Wilderness, '91 Wilderness Cabins, '95 Offsite w/school trip, '96 ASM, '98 BWI/DCL, '00 CBR/DCL, '03 CBR/DCL, May '04 CBR/HRH, Dec. '04 Poly, May '05 AKL/Poly, Oct '05 AKL, May '06 Poly again, Oct '06 Beach Club/DCL, March '07 DL Grand Californian, Oct '07 DCL/Polynesian
Ilovestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #32
David R
Dreams do come true.

I don't go around announcing that I'm gay but after 7+ years here they all know I am. Everyone loves my partner and he is always a part of any social functions we may have outside of office hours. I consider myself lucky.

Having said that, I begin a new job in 3 weeks but I get the feeling that it is also a fairly welcoming place of work. My gaydar went off immediately during the interview with one of my future coworkers and a quick google search afterwards confirmed it. He seemed very well liked so I'm sure that it won't be an issue at all when I start.

And sooner or later they'll see the rainbow mickey sticker on my car (okay, so that's about as much annoucing as I do.)
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #33
yensiD naF
Earning My Ears

Thanks for this thread

I was a store manager for a major retail chain in the San Francisco Bay Area. I finally felt comfortable enough in a job to come out to my employees and eventually my boss. I was one of only a few gay managers with this chain, at least one who was "out". I knew many "out" assistant managers who had been with the company for a long time, but never got promoted and wondered why, but they never talked about it.

My employees were very supportive and a couple were proud that I had the courage to come out. I never bragged or anything. I just realized that it was easier to be honest and not to hide such an important part of my life. When I used the word "partner" with my boss, things changed dramatically. She had treated me with a fair amount of respect and dignity until she found out that I was gay. Her attitude changed in such a way that it was painfully obvious that she was homophobic. Something I had never expected before.

My boss was a district manager with the company. She began harrassing me, creating situations to write me up, threatening to fire me and worse. This happened in an instant after she found out who I was. The funny thing was only a month before this happened, she had given me a glowing annual review and said how proud she was to have me on her team. Needless to say I felt exremely cofortable with her.

When her behavior changed, I began asking some of my fellow managers about it. Some of them told me how she felt about gay people and that she had prevented some employees from being promoted because of it. My district manager got her way and fired me a few months later for another trumped up charge. I took my case to Human Resources and of course they, and she denied everything. California is an "at will" employment state, which means that I could be fired for anything, without reason. Although when I had real problems with an employee who was stealing from the company, my boss wouldn't let me do anything about it.

I share this story because it changed my life. Being fired from this company was the best thing that ever happened to me. I decided that I would never hide my sexuality again, at the workplace or anywhere. Sure it proved that there are evil, sick people out there. But it also paved the way for me to work for much better companies.

You might think that the Walt Disney Company would be a great employer. But in my case, being a store manager for The Disney Store who happened to be gay marked the end of a career, but the beginning of many great new chapters in my life.

Last edited by yensiD naF; 02-07-2006 at 03:45 PM.
yensiD naF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 AM   #34
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Yensid naf-

We had almost the same experience working for Disney! I was a lead at the 5th Ave. store and later on at the ABC Studio store. At the 5th Ave store my sexuality and the frequent mention of my partner was a total non-issue. Most of my DS castmates had met Lisa and she was part of any gathering that we had. When I moved to the ABC store, again it was a non-issue with my Store Manager. Then she left and was replaced by someone I had known and worked with at 5th. Ave. Now Jeanette knew about Lisa and knew that I was gay. My performance had not changed one bit, but suddenly I went from being a great lead to one being written up if I breathed the wrong way. After about 6 months of this torture I made the difficult decision to leave TDS and go to work for the NBA store. It turned out to be a good decision on my part because shortly after that all the NYC stores were closed to make way for the 5th Ave. store to turn into WOD.

Linda
LJC1861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #35
MassJester

Have camera -- will travel

There are some parts of the country in whcih employment dsicrimination based on sexual orientation (or perceived sexual orientation for that matter) is legal. New York City and San Francisco do not happen to fall on that list.

Both have government agencies through which on non-represented party (you without a lawyer) can pursue a complaint.

As tough as the complaining process is, when at all practical is should be pursued.

I've been "out" at work since joining the company, and was partially responsible for having the company add sexual orientation to the non-discrimination statement (lot's of right-leaning folk of narrow experience on the executive committee, so it took some educating).

A lot of visits to different resorts since 1983 DVC Member - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
armed and dangerous with a Canon 5D Mark II -- my photo gallery at: http://massjester.zenfolio.com/
MassJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #36
tmorse65
Earning My Ears

I live in Salt Lake City with my partner of 25 years and I'm out at work. In fact, my employer offers benefits to same sex couples and the people are great.
Actually, I don't know how one could hide it after a few years or so anyway. People sort of just catch on anyhow.
tmorse65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #37
T&KHayes
Mouseketeer

At my work (very SMALL) it is just The owners (husband & wife) myself & a part time high school girl. I am totally out and my bosses are wonderful! We also have quite a few regular customers who are gay, including our accountants. My bosses are definately CSP. They just took us to a crab feed on friday night and we had a blast! Remember we are small town USA Pop. 60,000ish including the small outer lining towns.

Kim & Tiff DD14 Jessica DS7 Bubba

T&KHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #38
Boston5602
DIS Veteran

I've been at my job for years , when I started the company was owned by Rupert Murdoch . He's real Gay Friendly Anyways I'd been there less than a year when I told my union rep that there was a gay pride type sticker on my locker . He looked at me shocked ( not for reasons I thought ) He went on and on about how he would " GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS " and find out WHO would do such a thing to me being the nice guy I was . I couldn't help but laugh when I told him it was me. OH , He said ok if you have any roblems let me know . That was it . Now all of the employees in the department report to me and we're not owned by News Corp any more either.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #39
TwitterMouse
Mouseketeer

I'm out at work and at school (I'm a high school senior). My moms didn't come out at work, but people sort of found out and it got around.
I don't have any problems being out at work one of my co-workers is out as well). At school I've run into problems during previous years (last year I couldn't go to gym class, I kept getting harrassed and called a **** in the locker room), but this year seems to be going okay. Everyone at school seems to know I'm a lesbian or assume it, I guess short hair is a dead give away
TwitterMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 AM   #40
majortom
Mouseketeer

Location: Winter Garden, FL, Venice, CA, San Francisco, CA, Skokie, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykelogan
hehe My students are funny in that most are usually blown away when they find out I am gay because I guess I do not "seem" gay to them, whatever that means! lol

Have a great day all!
Mike
Your post reminds me of a funny story.

While I have always been out at work even within the Navy (I was Direct Commissioned, in a very technical area), I have had two boyfriends that were not out and so I did not introduce them to others at work as such. Because of that, not everyone knew (if we never had a conversation where relationships or similar were a topic it did not get discussed). I had worked at Argonne National Lab and one of my close friends from there was getting married.

He invited me and my (now-ex) boyfriend Pete to the wedding. One of my former ANL coworkers was there, and I introduced him to Pete saying that he was my boyfriend. John (former coworker) responded: No, really who is he? It took me quite a bit of time to convince John that I was really gay and not just playing with him. It was not that it bothered him, just that he never realized that I was gay and it really surprised him.

One other funny story that involves Nick (the friend who was getting married). I first started going to Disney on my own in the late 80's. When I was at Argonne, I would often organize trips that would include many of my Argonne friends. On returning from one of these trips, Nick's dad met us at the airport and drove us home. His dad was a retired blue collar worker, from a very traditional Greek (and Greek Orthodox) family.

I do not remember how it arose, but we started discussing a situation that had happened at Disneyland in the early 80's where a gay couple had be kicked out of the park for holding hands (nothing more).

Nick's dad started to speak and Nick looked back at me clearly nervous about what his dad was going to say. His dad started with "That is really wrong! I can't believe they did that!"

Nick was about to jump in to defend the couple, when his dad finished: "What harm were they doing? Why should anyone care if they were gay? Did they stop straight couples from holding hands?"

Nick broke out into a huge smile. It is always one of my stories that shows that you never know how people are going to react.

/carmi
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #41
TN Traveler
DIS Veteran

This is a great thread w/alot of good conversation. I'm straight but in the travel industry which is known to have alot of gay people in it. Actually I assume more are gay than straight. I have a friend that works for one of my vendors and we have talked many times about his partner. We get along fne and have no problems. On the other hand, some other agents in my office say they don't like him, he's moody, can be a SA etc. They'll say "Hey, Karen, call *** and see what he tells you about ....." whatever the situation is. Because they know he and I get along just fine. Do you think it might be b/c I don't judge him or condem him?! Well DAH?!?!

I agree w/one poster that stated different areas of the country are more acceptable to gay couples than others. Here in the south (TN) there are alot of folks that are anti-gay--especially in small towns. On the other hand I think in the northern cities and larger cities, most people are more accepting of the gay lifestyle. Would ya'll agree or disagree w/that statement?

Keep the comments coming. It's a good conversation.

Karen
TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #42
SurfnStitch
Earning My Ears

Hi yensid, I'm from the Bay Area as well.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job, but yes, it can open doors to something much better. It confuses me, because from what I understand there is a lot of "family" that works on the Disney Cruise ships.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #43
micknpluto
DIS Veteran

Here I go again...

Well, I start a new job next week. It's always uncomfortable at first. I will be in training for six weeks, basically sitting in a big room with about 30 people or so. I WISH I would have at least 1 other "gay" coworker with me No big deal..

I know one thing that made me smile... After they offered me the position they gave me a "welcome" packet to go through before I start. They offer :"domestic partner" shared benefits!! This is a good thing!!
At least I know the company is cool!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #44
SteeleTig
Mouseketeer

This is my first post... yippee, lol
I am out at work now, I am a nanny and was fired from a job after being with the family (and living in their house) for 5 years after they found out I am gay. After that I decided to always be out from day one, that way if they are homophobic I'll know.

Back story, they found out I am gay after I gave notice (because I was moving in with my then giirlfriend, now domestic partner) and they went through my things and read a journal I had kept. I was fired, by phone, that same day. Their 13 year old daughter told me it was because they read about my partner, Ava, in my journal. My ex bosses deny that was the reason.
SteeleTig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #45
micknpluto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleTig
This is my first post... yippee, lol
I am out at work now, I am a nanny and was fired from a job after being with the family (and living in their house) for 5 years after they found out I am gay. After that I decided to always be out from day one, that way if they are homophobic I'll know.

Back story, they found out I am gay after I gave notice (because I was moving in with my then giirlfriend, now domestic partner) and they went through my things and read a journal I had kept. I was fired, by phone, that same day. Their 13 year old daughter told me it was because they read about my partner, Ava, in my journal. My ex bosses deny that was the reason.

OH WOW..that sux!! Im sorry..Why are people so ignorant?

Today was my first day at my new job. I will be in training for the first 6 weeks. Of course, Im the ONLY female (as usual) it seems this always happens to me. there are about 19 guys and me in my class. Once I start actually working and not training I will have other females around just not in the training class. Its a little nerve racking being with all guys, who I think are all straight. We had to do this thing today where we had to interview another person and introduce them to the rest of the room. The guy who interviewed me asks , "are you married? I was like NO, well, does a "significant other count?? LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: