DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Pardo714
Mouseketeer

Security Check?

We are currently staying at BWV and decided to go over to Jiko at AKL for dinner. We took a cab because we don't have a car here and did not want to mess around with switching busses like we usually do. When the cab got the gate at AKL the security guard checked the drivers ID, which they always do but he then asked the driver to get one of our magic bands which I gave him and he scanned that in the system as well. Is this common? What if we were not resort guests would they still allow us to go to dinner there, I have never seen this before. I was here in April and it was not done then.
Pardo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We just visited the.Grand Floridian in May while staying offsite. The only asked for ID. We were there for a dining reservation and to see the villa models. Had no problem getting past security. I would expect the security check you had was either random or only used in high season or something be tested at AKL. I would think you could have just told them why you were there and.showed ID and gotten past the gate with no problem.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
4Ds4Diz
Earning My Ears

Security check

We were in Disney for 3 nights back in April, before our cruise. We had dining reservations a the Yacht Club, Poly, Wilderness Lodge and we were staying a BLT. We had driven our rental car all 3 days. As we went into several hotels, the security checked the magic bands or ID. I know the secruity checked the magic bands at least twice and confirmed our meal reservation. Told us to enjoy our meal. No biggie.

We were not bothered by it and it only took seconds to do. Perhaps the hotels are just verifying your need to be there due to limited parking at certain busy times of year.

FAMILY OF GREYHOUND LOVERS
4Ds4Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
cvjw
DIS Veteran

We were at Disney in April, and had our magic bands scanned before being let into AKV, GFV, BLT and the Poly. We had the deluxe dining plan, so we ate at several different resort based restaurants and had our magic bands scanned at each resort. On past trips, the CM at the gate always had a paper list of ADR's and just checked our ID's to the ADR list. Now with magic bands, it appears that checking for ADR's is all electronic now.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
longrf01
Mouseketeer

Had mine scanned at the Contemporary for lunch at The Wave yesterday.
2012 - POLY Feb, ASSp Mar, BC Mar, DLR Hilton May, BC July, ASSp Sep, DLR Hilton Sep, BC Nov, ASSp Dec
2013 - May Hilton DLR, May Grand Californian, Jun YC, Nov BC
2014 - Jun SSR
longrf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The part I don't understand is anyone can hop on a bus and get off at the resort, no ID needed. I'm sure if a criminal was going to do something, they would figure that out quick. I can understand cars and limited parking but why scan someone in a cab?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
crisi
DIS Veteran

Previously, we've been asked for one of us to show ID when coming into a resort in a cab.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

The MagicBand scanning is probably just more data mining on Disney's part.

Resort security has always been consistently inconsistent, but usually they'll ask for some token form of ID: KTTW card, parking pass, AP, photo ID, now MagicBand. If you claimed you didn't have a MB with you, they'd accept any other form of ID...again as a token gesture.

But when guests are willing to provide the MB, with one scan Disney has data on where you're staying, other stops you've made during your trip, how many times you've entered the parks, what restaurants you've dined at, etc.

Resorts visited is just one more piece of data to help them analyze guest habits.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
The part I don't understand is anyone can hop on a bus and get off at the resort, no ID needed. I'm sure if a criminal was going to do something, they would figure that out quick. I can understand cars and limited parking but why scan someone in a cab?
Because security checks are a deterrent, they don't really provide security. The are great for making honest people feel safer.

Often guards will go through the motions just to go through the motions because that is what they were told to do.

We were on a tour with a bus load of people going backstage. The road barrier was up blocking the road to this secured area. Security entered the bus and made all of the ladies open their purses. They didn't bother to check any other tote bags, just purses. The barrier was lowered and we went on our way.

Several people commented what a waste of time the inspection was, others said that they felt safer and that it was a good thing.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
The MagicBand scanning is probably just more data mining on Disney's part.

Resort security has always been consistently inconsistent, but usually they'll ask for some token form of ID: KTTW card, parking pass, AP, photo ID, now MagicBand. If you claimed you didn't have a MB with you, they'd accept any other form of ID...again as a token gesture.

But when guests are willing to provide the MB, with one scan Disney has data on where you're staying, other stops you've made during your trip, how many times you've entered the parks, what restaurants you've dined at, etc.

Resorts visited is just one more piece of data to help them analyze guest habits.
On our last stay the security guard showed me the read out from our account. The guards scanner only shows our names on the reservation, resort, dates, and ADR's.

Apparently Disney limits that amount of info displayed by job function. The CM's with the tablets can access all of your info and modify your account, tickets, etc.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: