Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #106
kanderson89
Mouseketeer
 
kanderson89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post
Some of those international folks are probably also family.
Good point!
__________________




WL - 2015
WL - 2014
WL - 2013
AKL - 2012
WL - 2011
WL - 2010
Ft Wilderness - as a kid in the 1970s
kanderson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #107
kellgirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11

Never a problem!

I went down with my girlfriend in December, as part of a high school class trip. Granted, because we're only teenagers, I'm not going to deny that there was some PDA But we never encountered any problems with Cast Members or guests, In fact when we were on Kali River Rapids a father asked us if we were friends or sisters; I blushed and stammered something while my girlfriend took my hand and simply stated "She's my girlfriend". HE smiled and laughed and said his sister was gay, and that he was glad to see us unafraid to be who we are!
kellgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #108
laurabelle

Survivor
GAGWTA!
 
laurabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my dreams, it's World Showcase!
Posts: 3,818

I love this thread! When my daughter came out at 15, it meant so much to know our happy place was also family friendly. Our first trip after she was officially out, we really noticed more and more family, because we were on the lookout. Now she is 18, and this fall, I'm taking both my daughters and my one daughter's girlfriend (of one year, yay!) to Disney. They will get some alone time one night in Epcot (the most romantic place in WDW) while my other daughter and I go to a concert at the Hard Rock in Universal. They are over the moon excited! It means a lot as the mother of a lesbian to have others treat her with dignity and respect. The rest of the world is catching up...
__________________
Young Women CAN and DO Get Breast Cancer
laurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #109
CamoMama
DIS Veteran
 
CamoMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabelle View Post
I love this thread! When my daughter came out at 15, it meant so much to know our happy place was also family friendly. Our first trip after she was officially out, we really noticed more and more family, because we were on the lookout. Now she is 18, and this fall, I'm taking both my daughters and my one daughter's girlfriend (of one year, yay!) to Disney. They will get some alone time one night in Epcot (the most romantic place in WDW) while my other daughter and I go to a concert at the Hard Rock in Universal. They are over the moon excited! It means a lot as the mother of a lesbian to have others treat her with dignity and respect. The rest of the world is catching up...

Oh definitely this. My daughter just came out in January (she's also 15), and we're going together next Saturday. She's not out to my family yet, which is who we're going with, but we plan to ditch them most of the time anyway. I'm not sure I'm okay with her having "alone time" with anyone just yet, but that's because she's 15, wouldn't matter the gender of her partner. Not sure if I'll be okay with that at 18 either, hell, not sure if I'll ever be okay with it, even after she's married and has kids of her own. She is my baby after all.
__________________

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #110
MovedbytheMouse
Be gentle, y'all. I'm new round these parts.
 
MovedbytheMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8

My husband and I have visited WDW several times over the past few years and, as new residents of southern California, Disneyland has become our home away from home. (We'll be there later today, in fact!) We have only experienced negativity regarding our sexuality once in a Disney park a few years ago when we were confronted in line for the Jungle Cruise.

I wrote about the encounter in my blog if you are interested in details. I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link, but if you Google "moved by the mouse it can be a jungle out there", it should be the first search result.

Long story short, these types of things can either ruin your experience or make you appreciative of the wonderful, welcoming, and kind people that are roar more prevalent on Disney property. I chose the latter and am glad I did. Not allowing some ignorant jerk to spoil your trip takes the power away from them. You deserve to be able to be yourself and enjoy every moment of the magic.
MovedbytheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #111
jlowejd5
DIS Veteran
 
jlowejd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedbytheMouse View Post
I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link
But I can. Beautifully written story. Proud to share it.

http://movedbythemouse.blogspot.com/...out-there.html
__________________
WDW: SSR - Oct '13 BLT - Jan '12, AKL - Oct '10, SSR - Oct '09, WL - Dec '06, ASMu - Mar '96, Offsite - '79, '91
Land/Sea: Poly - Mar '06, BC - March '01
DCL: Fantasy (Eastern) - Dec '12, 3-day Dream - Oct '11, anniversary 4-day - Feb '09, Magic (Western) - Dec '07, Honeymoon 4-day - Feb '04
DL: GCal - Oct '08
DVC: Aulani - Feb '12, Fairmont (San Francisco) - Nov '09. Beach Palace (Cancun) - Apr '09.
UO: Portofino Bay - Oct '11, Royal Pacific - Feb '09
Cruises: Sapphire Princess Hawaii 14-day - March '11, HAL Oosterdam 7-day Alaska - Aug '10
Dance, banana, dance!!
jlowejd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #112
weezyree
Mouseketeer
 
weezyree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where the Army sends us!!
Posts: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinNYC View Post
Actually, Joe had to remind me of one moment two years ago while checking in that a cast member made a little joke about not putting us in a room with a king size bed. Apparently she thought we were buddies just traveling together. I tried to make light of the situation and assured her that request was indeed valid. I laughed but did feel a little burn of embarrassment. Certainly not enough to make me think poorly of the girl, nor enough to insult us in any way.
Now that would be awkward!!! I am a straight, married woman and had a similar incident happen to me.

I had stayed in a room with an Army buddy in LA and the clerk assumed we were a couple. We missed our connecting flight to Korea which was the last of the day.

The USO put us up for the night and we agreed to save THEM money by sharing a room. The clerk at the hotel (not the USO-DODT was still in force at that time) said she would put us in a single room with a double bed 'If that was okay'?? If not, she would check for a king size bed!! LOL....we were flattered and simply stated we need two double beds.

Maybe it was just an LA thing...Oh, and that was my first and only experience with an earthquake!!!

We see several gay and lesbian couples at Disney and why not share in the happiness of the place with everyone. There are several different folks of ethinicities, inter-racial couples, young adults in large groups, the Trek-ies, old couples, young couples, singles, and several different religious folks there!!

We just finished a four night on the Dream and there was a minister that insisted upon wearing his collar at dinner, several Islamic women in traditional coverings, Jewish men with their full beards and those that dress with barely anything!!!

Those that do have a problem and keep their comments to themselves deserve a kudos and those that want to make a scene should be sent to the Evil Queen!!!!...off with their heads!!!

Encourage them to go. Have fun and marvel in the fun and excitement of Disney!!!

__________________

WDW-Apr 02-Camp Wilderness, Apr 08; Port Orleans, Aug 09-Saratoga Springs; Jun 11-Saratoga Springs; Dec 11-Saratoga Springs (Christmas); Mar 12-Saratoga Springs (DD and DSin-law honeymoon); Jun 12-Saratoga Springs; RECON mission to Aulani, Hawaii-Sep 12; Dec 12-Saratoga Springs (Christmas)
DLR-Aug 09-Paradise Pier; Mar 10-Park visit only; Oct 11-Downtown Disney visit only
DCL-Aug 03 (4 nite), Apr 08 (4 nite), Aug 09 (7 nite), Jan 10 (3 nite), Jun 12 (4 nite), ...2013 NINE NIGHT MEDITERRANEAN!!!
DVC members since Apr 08-SSR and AKKV
DH , Me , DD22 , DSin-law26 and DD15 : FIRST GRANDSON DAunt :
PROUD ARMY FAMILY OF THREE!!!
weezyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #113
DisneyPrideBaby
Earning My Ears
 
DisneyPrideBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11

I had a friend bring up how it must be weird for me at Disney because it's a family oriented place. I told her I never felt as accepted as I did when at Disney. You feel loved no matter what.. It's so magical. One time a CM even offered to take pictures for my gf and me because we needed a classic kiss in front of the castle picture. Many of the cast members are family anyway.
__________________
DisneyPrideBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #114
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPrideBaby View Post
I had a friend bring up how it must be weird for me at Disney because it's a family oriented place. I told her I never felt as accepted as I did when at Disney. You feel loved no matter what.. It's so magical. One time a CM even offered to take pictures for my gf and me because we needed a classic kiss in front of the castle picture. Many of the cast members are family anyway.
Well it's a family-oriented place and a family-oriented place, all at the same time, and so it should be. Welcoming to everyone, if only more places were like that.
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #115
poorunfortunatesouls
The Wicked Witch of the Midwest
 
poorunfortunatesouls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Under the Sea (Northern Indiana)
Posts: 62

Alas, I am single :/, but ive never seen anything go down in the parks. It surprises me that there have been incidents in DL. I was there in August for the D23 Expo and saw numerous gay couples holding hands at DL and DCA. No one seemed to even notice, except for me who was thrilled beyond belief!
__________________
I'll admit that in the past I've been a nasty, they weren't kidding when they called me, well a witch...

June 1994 Walt Disney World
June 2000 Walt Disney World
April 2001 Disneyland Resort
April 2003 Disneyland Resort
May 2011 Walt Disney World
August 2011 Disneyland Resort/D23 Expo
August 2012 Walt Disney World
August 2013 Disneyland Resort/D23 Expo
Summer 2015 Disneyland Paris
poorunfortunatesouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #116
laurabelle

Survivor
GAGWTA!
 
laurabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my dreams, it's World Showcase!
Posts: 3,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedbytheMouse View Post
My husband and I have visited WDW several times over the past few years and, as new residents of southern California, Disneyland has become our home away from home. (We'll be there later today, in fact!) We have only experienced negativity regarding our sexuality once in a Disney park a few years ago when we were confronted in line for the Jungle Cruise.

I wrote about the encounter in my blog if you are interested in details. I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link, but if you Google "moved by the mouse it can be a jungle out there", it should be the first search result.

Long story short, these types of things can either ruin your experience or make you appreciative of the wonderful, welcoming, and kind people that are roar more prevalent on Disney property. I chose the latter and am glad I did. Not allowing some ignorant jerk to spoil your trip takes the power away from them. You deserve to be able to be yourself and enjoy every moment of the magic.
I just read your blog post. You handled it so well...and you got pixie dust in return! I plan to share it with my daughter. Thanks and congratulations on your marriage!
__________________
Young Women CAN and DO Get Breast Cancer
laurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #117
laurabelle

Survivor
GAGWTA!
 
laurabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my dreams, it's World Showcase!
Posts: 3,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
Oh definitely this. My daughter just came out in January (she's also 15), and we're going together next Saturday. She's not out to my family yet, which is who we're going with, but we plan to ditch them most of the time anyway. I'm not sure I'm okay with her having "alone time" with anyone just yet, but that's because she's 15, wouldn't matter the gender of her partner. Not sure if I'll be okay with that at 18 either, hell, not sure if I'll ever be okay with it, even after she's married and has kids of her own. She is my baby after all.
Have you looked into PFLAG? They are so helpful. I've learned a lot these past 3 yrs., on my own too. There are plenty of good books and blogs written to help you learn and understand more as a parent of an LGBT teen. Let me know if you would like some recommendations. Best wishes...
__________________
Young Women CAN and DO Get Breast Cancer
laurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #118
Tygerlilly
Mouseketeer
 
Tygerlilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 121

To the two parents (and everyone else who may be) with the gay children who have posted: I really just want to say thank you on behalf of every glbt child who is struggling to tell their parent. When I came out to mine, I was thrown out of my house, told I was no longer their (only) child, and was left completely alone. It's good to know that more kids are having the support of their parents so the cycle of hate can be broken.


Back on topic, I've never had a problem with being out and at Disney.
Tygerlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #119
Valley Twin
Chief Curmudgeon
 
Valley Twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedbytheMouse View Post
My husband and I have visited WDW several times over the past few years and, as new residents of southern California, Disneyland has become our home away from home. (We'll be there later today, in fact!) We have only experienced negativity regarding our sexuality once in a Disney park a few years ago when we were confronted in line for the Jungle Cruise.

I wrote about the encounter in my blog if you are interested in details. I haven't posted ten times yet, so I can't post a link, but if you Google "moved by the mouse it can be a jungle out there", it should be the first search result.

Long story short, these types of things can either ruin your experience or make you appreciative of the wonderful, welcoming, and kind people that are roar more prevalent on Disney property. I chose the latter and am glad I did. Not allowing some ignorant jerk to spoil your trip takes the power away from them. You deserve to be able to be yourself and enjoy every moment of the magic.
Beautiful blog post. My husband and I have been to the World three times for day trips over our 14 years together - always while visiting family in Florida. We're going for a week by ourselves in October of this year for our first on-property stay as a belated honeymoon/early anniversary. (We were married in March in Provincetown.) We've never had any problems at all on any of our trips.

My best date was to DisneyLand about 20 years ago. I was dating a flight attendant and he told me that we were going to a friend's party and would be there pretty late so I should pack an overnight bag. He picked me up and asked if I would mind if we stopped at the airport to pick up his schedule for the following week. When we parked in the employee lot and he told me to bring my bag, I started to get suspicious, but didn't say anything. We were in the employee lounge when he told me we were going "somewhere, but it's a surprise".

His co-workers had already gotten the other passengers on board and covered the call sign at the gate so I couldn't tell where the plane was going. As we were taxiing to the runway, the Captain welcomed us to flight XXX to Los Angeles, but he still wouldn't provide any details. We got to LA (several glasses of champagne later) and gathered our luggage. I followed him thru the airport and out the door to the Magical Express bus. It wasn't until then that I knew! We had a great 2 night stay.

(I tell my now-husband this story all the time to let him know what he has to live up to on this trip, but so far all I'm getting are eye rolls!)

Wishing you lots of pixie dust!
__________________
Valley Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #120
Sith Lord 13
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Twin View Post
Beautiful blog post. My husband and I have been to the World three times for day trips over our 14 years together - always while visiting family in Florida. We're going for a week by ourselves in October of this year for our first on-property stay as a belated honeymoon/early anniversary. (We were married in March in Provincetown.) We've never had any problems at all on any of our trips.

My best date was to DisneyLand about 20 years ago. I was dating a flight attendant and he told me that we were going to a friend's party and would be there pretty late so I should pack an overnight bag. He picked me up and asked if I would mind if we stopped at the airport to pick up his schedule for the following week. When we parked in the employee lot and he told me to bring my bag, I started to get suspicious, but didn't say anything. We were in the employee lounge when he told me we were going "somewhere, but it's a surprise".

His co-workers had already gotten the other passengers on board and covered the call sign at the gate so I couldn't tell where the plane was going. As we were taxiing to the runway, the Captain welcomed us to flight XXX to Los Angeles, but he still wouldn't provide any details. We got to LA (several glasses of champagne later) and gathered our luggage. I followed him thru the airport and out the door to the Magical Express bus. It wasn't until then that I knew! We had a great 2 night stay.

(I tell my now-husband this story all the time to let him know what he has to live up to on this trip, but so far all I'm getting are eye rolls!)

Wishing you lots of pixie dust!
That is the most adorable story I've ever heard. I love it. I would kill for someone like that.
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: