Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #31
rainbowboy74
Earning My Ears

I have never experienced a bad situation or felt uncomfortable at WDW. I have always been treated with the same respect as any other visiting guest and/or couple. I have only checked in once with my BF back in 2003. We were an obvious couple and we were proud of it and let it show. I am not a fan of gigantic PDA, but at the same time, that goes towards both gay and straight couples. Holding hands, winks, and smiles, others always knew we were a couple. This was also my first Disney experience, so my good will and constance giddiness, gave off that impression as well. I happen to be wearing my rainbow Canadian flag pin one day, and I was stopped by quite a few CM's and other vacationing guests, with whom we shared a couple of nice dinners with.

On a later trip I was always put on the stage at the Hoop Dee Doo dinner by my best travel mate Penny, where you might have seen the picture of me wearing a tutu in her post "This is so cool!". I was uncomfortable at first and nervous, but then I'm like whatever, I'm at Disney, noone really knows me and I'm going to give myself a magical moment .. and that I did. It was alot of fun, and I was received quite well by loud cheers and ovations. I was also stopped by many people outside, saying what a good job I had done. I have to admit that thanks to Penny, I had a great time and something that I will always remember.

Next time I plan on going again with Sean, I want the king size bed and a bottle of champagne too ..... After all, I'm at the greatest place on earth!

Disney World:
2003 (All Star Movies & Music)
2004 (Saratoga Springs & Pop Century)
2006 possibilties Gay Days (May-June), Disney Cruise (Dec) with my good and favourite travel mate Penny.
rainbowboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #32
tmli
Wants to be known as tmlh....

TLPL,

I just wanted to say congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and have a great honeymoon!! Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, unfortunately there will be jerks like the guy in the restaurant no matter where you go and with who. Last year I had my son in a wheelchair in DTD when a little 3 yr old ran right into us...the father started yelling at me to get my "gimp kid the f home where he belonged".

Enjoy your honeymoon, for every mean judgemental straight person there are a 1000 of us kind ones who understand that we all just want the same thing--love and happiness.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #33
Viki
Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPL
Hello TeresaNJ,

Now I am freaking out, what if someone like that yell at us when we go on our honeymoon next month? and I was thinking about requesting a King size bed at check-in. Maybe I shouldn't?
No worries. At least not in my experience. My partner and I are traveling to AKL for our 20th anniversary in August and the concierge staff has been terrific, asking for my partner's name and making us feel as welcome as they would any guests.
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #34
mickeem
Crazy4WDW!!

We have never encountered anything negative..
In fact... when you used to ba able to fax in a room request, I mentioned that it was my and my wife's 10th anniversary. (And it was). When we arrived back to our room one day, there was a cake, and flowers, and a card signed by Mickey and Minnie, wishing us a Happy anniversary.
Now, the people at the front desk saw that it was 2 women, we have both have girl names (not like an alex...) so, it was up to the CM's discretion, Iwould believe, to send us a nice treat..

We even did the couples massage, at the Greand Floridan, they were fabulous, and didn't give any hint as to anything was different.
We also do the romantic dinners at different restaurants. No one has ever said, or done anything to make us feel uncomfortable...

So... We go back for more...!!

PolyGirl- Always a PolyGirl!
mickeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #35
donald...really
Gotta watch out for closed minded Winnie the Pooh fans...

We have been to WDW together so many times we can't even begin to count them. NEVER had a problem checking in, in a restaurant, on a bus, with a CM, Never. Nothing.

We were married here in the great state of Massachusetts last July (on the 10th anniversary of the day we met) and shortly after took a WDW trip. I told one of the cast members "We are on our honeymoon" and showed her our rings, just to see what the reaction would be. She didn't miss a beat, smiled and said "Congratulations!" and gave us pins to wear that made it clear to others that we were celebrating a special occasion at Disney. She was wonderful.

The only other time that our sexuality was EVER commented on was when we went to MNSSHP with my brother, his wife, and their 3 year old daughter who was dressed as Cinderella. We spent some time in Fantasyland with my niece so my brother and his wife could ride some of the adult rides alone. We were walking with her between us, holding her hands, and we overheard a couple of women with a girl also dressed as Cinderella say "See, that Cinderella has two daddies just like you have two mommies". My husband and I looked at each other with an amused glance, and we thought the comment went over my niece's head, but then she said in an offhanded way to no one in particular "I don't have two daddies. I only have one daddy. But I have two uncles". One of may favorite memories at WDW.

Our boys, Weasley and Fester (as puppies then all grown up)
donald...really is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:01 PM   #36
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Hey Donald, I am wondering, what does that pin says on it?
TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 AM   #37
donald...really
Gotta watch out for closed minded Winnie the Pooh fans...

TLPL - I don't remember exactly what the pin said (it was actually one of the big round buttons, and not one of the collector pins people trade). But it was nothing specific about our wedding. It was more general and would be appropriate for anyone celebrating anything (an anniversary, birthday, etc).

Our boys, Weasley and Fester (as puppies then all grown up)
donald...really is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #38
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

Quote:
The only other time that our sexuality was EVER commented on was when we went to MNSSHP with my brother, his wife, and their 3 year old daughter who was dressed as Cinderella. We spent some time in Fantasyland with my niece so my brother and his wife could ride some of the adult rides alone. We were walking with her between us, holding her hands, and we overheard a couple of women with a girl also dressed as Cinderella say "See, that Cinderella has two daddies just like you have two mommies". My husband and I looked at each other with an amused glance, and we thought the comment went over my niece's head, but then she said in an offhanded way to no one in particular "I don't have two daddies. I only have one daddy. But I have two uncles". One of may favorite memories at WDW.
That's awesome!
Tony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #39
joanjett1976
Shane in the study with the candlestick!
As a Disney geek you can truly feel Walt's touch in the park

Great stories everyone!

On a recent trip with a male couple, we had a great dinner at Brown Derby. Our waiter was 'family' and I thought he was going to ask one of the men to marry him right on the spot! He spent half our meal, tableside, attending to our napkin droppings and champagne. I really thought he might try to squeeze in the booth with us and ask to take him home at one point!
Nov 2013 WDW Yacht-AKL, Aug 2012 Disneyland, Jan 2012 WDW WL, July 2011 Disneyland, Oct 2010 WDW Swan, April 2010 DL Paris, Jan 2010 Disneyland, April 2009 DL Paris, Jan 2008 Paradise Pier Disneyland, Oct 2007 DL Paris, Sept 2007 POFQ, May 2007 Grand Californian Disneyland, April 2007 DL Paris, Feb 2007 Disney Wonder & POP, Oct 2006 MNSSHP/F&W @ POP, Oct 2006 DL Paris, May 2006 2 weeks @ POP, April 2006 DL Paris, January 2006 Disneyland, January 2006 30th Bday POP/AKL, Oct 2005 DL Paris, June 2005 POFQ, Feb 2005 Disneyland, Aug 2004 POFQ, 1983-1984-1986-1988-1989-1991-1994: Off Site, July 1980: 4 Years Old: 1st Trip To WDW

joanjett1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #40
TLPL
DIS Veteran

hey guess what! I found the courage to order my future husband a dozen Roses from Disney Florist, to be delivered to our room on the day we'll check in. Does anyone know if they will put the flowers in the room or wait till we get our room number? oh so exciting!! Two weeks till the wedding and 16 days till honeymoon!!
TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #41
IntheKnow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-NJ
yes once unfortunately. Though once out of all the time we've spent there is no big deal. It was Dec 98 and we were excited about trying Citricos before MVMCP - we had a horrible waitress who just couldn't understand why we had the gaul to be seen in public We're not ugly or anything... Anyway we had the worst service ever in all the years we've gone to WDW. Fortunately it didn't really bother us enough to affect our trip, but we never went back to Citricos.

How VERY unusual that you should have this kind of experience at Citrico's, as the majority of the serving staff are gay!
IntheKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #42
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

Quote:
How VERY unusual that you should have this kind of experience at Citrico's, as the majority of the serving staff are gay!
Ya know - after all the time we spend there. this is the only time something like this ever happened, so it's not a big deal. We'll probably even try Citricos again some day
Tony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #43
Viki
Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPL
hey guess what! I found the courage to order my future husband a dozen Roses from Disney Florist, to be delivered to our room on the day we'll check in. Does anyone know if they will put the flowers in the room or wait till we get our room number? oh so exciting!! Two weeks till the wedding and 16 days till honeymoon!!
Good for you!!! They will wait until you check-in for delivery; before that they couldn't be sure where you would be.
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #44
marklynpa
Earning My Ears

Picture it - Gay Day 2004, my friend and I boarded a MK bus at Port Orleans. We were standing near the back door facing forward and there was a big family taking up most of the back of the bus. We had the 'official' 2004 Gay Day shirts on and when she read the back of mine, one Mom said 'Oh my god! Out of 365 days in the year we picked this one to go to MK.' I tensed up and thought 'I am standing right here, don't you think I can hear you?' and 'what kind of nasty stuff is she going to say next?' She went on to say God sent them here today for a reason, keep an open mind, and maybe they will learn something. Either way they would have fun and enjoy the experience. Way to go Mom!
marklynpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #45
IntheKnow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-NJ
yes once unfortunately. Though once out of all the time we've spent there is no big deal. It was Dec 98 and we were excited about trying Citricos before MVMCP - we had a horrible waitress who just couldn't understand why we had the gaul to be seen in public We're not ugly or anything... Anyway we had the worst service ever in all the years we've gone to WDW. Fortunately it didn't really bother us enough to affect our trip, but we never went back to Citricos.

How unusual, as most of the serving staff ARE gay!!
IntheKnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: