Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

How long should cut roses last?

I just got a bunch from DH for my birthday. The edges are already black and curled just a little. They look worse than the super markets. I hate to complain. I rarely get flowers...maybe this is why. BUt I know he spent a lot of money and I would like to have them at least for a few days!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

if they came from a florist, I would call and complain. they shouldn't be in bad shape when they arrive.
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
ChrisnSteph
Ask me about Ben Franklin's bathroom habits...
this really dills my pickle

Fresh roses should last at least a week. Like Mtemm said, call the florist who delivered them and complain. Usually florists are very good about replacing bad flowers.
ChrisnSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

I agree, they may not last a full week, but flowers should last for a few days!

It sounds like these roses were too cold in cool-storage, or perhaps they have been in cool-storage for too long???

I have had flowers that stayed incredibly gorgeous for days! And, flowers like you describe as well.

PS: Your husband is sweet!!! I rarely get flowers either.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Chicago526
Any dream will do...
I have the best NEW HUSBAND ever!
Clorox Toliet wands, I love these things!
"Hmmm...I have a cookbook."

My DH had 3 roses sent to me for Valentine's Day 2 years ago. One was dead 24 hours later (drooped over and half the petals had fallen) and the other two didn't look long for the world. I called to complain (I was nice about it) and they appoligized and arranged for another arrangement to be sent. The next bunch looked better but not as good as they could have been. I chalked it up to the florist having gotten a bad batch (it's V-Day and the demand for roses is astronomical) and let it drop, they did try afterall!

Yes, I do know the difference between "there, their, and they're". However, often my fingers while typing do not.
Chicago526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
Zurealsoon
Registered

Complain. Most florists have not gotten fresh roses since Christmas & they may have sent you something older, left over from the holidays. Insist on a fresh batch.
Zurealsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Towncrier
DIS Veteran

You can try to revive them by placing them in a sink full of cool water and letting them soak for a while. Before putting them back in the vase, recut the ends on a diagonal (preferably while underwater) and then quickly put them back in the vase with fresh water.

I agree that roses from a florist should hold up better than those from the grocery store. Some florists take the time to wire the heads of the roses to keep them from drooping.

Make sure that you don't put them in direct sunlight and try to keep them away from forced air heating (if you are in a part of the country that requires you to heat your home at this time of year).

I hope your roses revive so that you can enjoy them a bit longer.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

Quote:
You can try to revive them by placing them in a sink full of cool water and letting them soak for a while. Before putting them back in the vase, recut the ends on a diagonal (preferably while underwater) and then quickly put them back in the vase with fresh water
Nope not going to do that but will keep it in mind for later. Thanks.
I called the florist and he insisted they just rec'd the roses this AM. But said they have a girl working on some type of release program and she maybe did take a good look at them. It sounds like the outter pedals are usually removed and she didn't remove them. No clue if this is the case but he said they would send new ones out. I also told him it didn't come with their business card or even had who they were from!
Oh well...it is the thought that counts! Poor DH!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
Zurealsoon
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning
It sounds like the outter pedals are usually removed and she didn't remove them. No clue if this is the case but he said they would send new ones out. !
This is standard in the Floral Industry. Many types of Roses have outer pedals that are greenish or curled and are removed.
Zurealsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

I can usually get my roses to last a week by trimming the tips on the diagonal every other day. I change the water 2 times a day and use the spray nozzel on my kitchen sink to add the water to the vase. I also add a little bit of sugar to the water!

TC
Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
mickeyfan2
DIS Veteran

When I get roses they usually last for 10+ days. They need to replace them for you.
mickeyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

I am a flower vendor at a Costco store. We tell customers 4-7 days. I personally do not buy roses often because they seem to be a hit ot miss. You either get them to bloom great or the droop. I know ours come from outside the US. So you have to add travel time and than they are in the warehouse getting ready to ship out to the stores.

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
Aprille
DIS Veteran

Just threw out roses tonight that I got a week ago for my 31st anniversary. They were from the grocery store and were from Ecuador (Ocean Clear maybe?). I don't have a vase for long-stems so I cut them about 12-inches long to fit the vase I do have when I got them home (DH brought them to work and took me out to lunch ). I used the "flower-saver" powder that comes with them and changed the water a couple of times. They were beautiful and I can't believe they lasted as long as they did!

Also can't believe I have such a sweet hubby after all this time.
06 May - BWI * 03 Nov CBR (F&W Fest) * 03 Jun AKL concierge (ooh la la!) * 02 Nov BC (AMC-DIS meet/F&W Fest) * 01 Dec BWV * 01 Nov ASSp * 01 late Jan CSR * 01 early Jan ASMu * 00 Jan BWV * 98 Nov/Dec BWV * 98 Jan/Feb BWV * 97 Nov/Dec BWV * 95 Nov/Dec FWHomes * 93 Nov/Dec FWHomes *
Aprille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #14
Sparx
DIS Veteran

try pulling off hte outer petals. then complain to the florist.

mighty putty can fix everything but my broken heart
rip billy mays
i love, i have loved, i will love.

and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: