Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Forever42
The best part of Disney is the food!

New beers at the Polynesian

This is for those fellow beer snobs

I noticed the past couple times we visited the Polynesian that they have two new beer selections there, Kona Long Board Lager, and Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. Both of these are bottled and brewed in Hawaii.

The lager is a fairly straightforward lager, but it's something nice to go with the bar appetizers at the Tambu Lounge or the wings at Kona or 'Ohana. It's pretty lightweight and what I call a "barbecue beer" (inconsequential backyard bbq-ing drink), but it's nice to see something different.

The pale ale was actually pretty good (not usually a hoppy fan, but this wasn't bitter at all), good color and body. I had it with the noodle bowl at Kona, and that worked well. Out of the two, I'd recommend the pale ale, but I tend not to be as much of a lager fan.

I don't do beer reviews as well as wine reviews yet, but I thought I'd give a heads up to beer drinkers. I might have one of those pale ales tonight before fireworks.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
amarberry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever42
This is for those fellow beer snobs

I noticed the past couple times we visited the Polynesian that they have two new beer selections there, Kona Long Board Lager, and Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale. Both of these are bottled and brewed in Hawaii.

The lager is a fairly straightforward lager, but it's something nice to go with the bar appetizers at the Tambu Lounge or the wings at Kona or 'Ohana. It's pretty lightweight and what I call a "barbecue beer" (inconsequential backyard bbq-ing drink), but it's nice to see something different.

The pale ale was actually pretty good (not usually a hoppy fan, but this wasn't bitter at all), good color and body. I had it with the noodle bowl at Kona, and that worked well. Out of the two, I'd recommend the pale ale, but I tend not to be as much of a lager fan.

I don't do beer reviews as well as wine reviews yet, but I thought I'd give a heads up to beer drinkers. I might have one of those pale ales tonight before fireworks.
I, for one, am excited to hear about this! DH and I actually visited the Kona Brewery on our honeymoon and are big fans of their beers. We even have two Kona Brewert pint glasses that my DH loves. We have an ADR for Kona Cafe during our trip in January, so we will definitely be enjoying one (or both!) of these beers.
amarberry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Forever42
The best part of Disney is the food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarberry
I, for one, am excited to hear about this! DH and I actually visited the Kona Brewery on our honeymoon and are big fans of their beers. We even have two Kona Brewert pint glasses that my DH loves. We have an ADR for Kona Cafe during our trip in January, so we will definitely be enjoying one (or both!) of these beers.
Awesome! Glad to hear that this was informative, too I'm sure you'll enjoy them while at the Kona Cafe, which is also one of my favorite restaurants.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
Einetius
Earning My Ears

You just put a huge smile on my face. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Hawaii in March and I really enjoyed the Kona beers. We are leaving for Disney tomorrow and I now know at least 1 stop we will be making. Thank you.
Einetius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

This indeed good news and a step in the right direction!!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Dana49
No longer lonely without a tag
The TF's think you like your beer ;-)
If you love the magic, you'll never be too old

Thank you. This is another positive for my favorite resort.

"It's funny what happens when you become a grandparent. You start to act all goofy and do things you never thought you'd do. It's terrific." - Mike Krzyzewski
Dana49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

I'm glad you liked the new beers. We visited the Kona Brewing Co. on our honeymoon--DH had two beers and didn't like either of them. I don't think he had the two you mentioned that the Polynesian is offering, though--I know he tried the Lavaman Red Ale but I don't remember the other. It might have been the lager. He's a bit of a beer snob, anyway.

I wouldn't know if they're any good, because all beer tastes nasty to me except really dark stouts like Guinness. So I might like their Black Sand Porter if I ever run into it again. But when in Hawaii (or the Polynesian), I go for the fruity drinks!

Last edited by Laura; 12-23-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: