DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
tvwalsh

World's happiest retired middle school teacher!

Grand Californian vs. Grand Floridian

Especially considering the number of points needed for each and the difference in seasons, (value, adventure, etc.) as well as the lower points for Friday and Saturday, I decided that the Grand Californian was the better choice!

Comparing the resorts based on your experiences, do you agree?

tvwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
ClarabelleCow
Where did my tag go? Oh fairy, can you help me?

I don't think I would base my decision on just the points, what about logistics, cost of airfare, ( I assume you are flying), is it easier to get to CA than FL??? Different parks? I have never been to Disneyland, but what do you want to do more, Disneyland or WDW??,
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
gppnj

Mouseketeer

It's really apples and oranges. I prefer the decor of the Grand Californian, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

[img]
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/rgmarquez/sigs/GCVLogo3-1a.jpg[/img]

Next WDW trip: Dec. 3-7, 2009, at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. (Yay!) I'll be there after a Disney cruise from Nov. 29 - Dec. 3.
gppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

I prefer the GC. We stayed there just after DCA opening in 01 and are planning a trip in March. GF is too stuffy for my taste. Also being able to walk to 2 parks and DTD is awesome. GF although nice really didn't wow me.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
rickdeni
Mouseketeer

Watch out where your room is at the Grand Californian. They gave us a room that was so far from the elevators that we only came down and went back up once a day. I did complain to no avail. I was not on points but paid rack rate. Would never go back!!! The room was more like the Wilderness Lodge (a little bigger) than the Grand Floridian (which is gorgeous). The access to the parks was good.
rickdeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeni
Watch out where your room is at the Grand Californian. They gave us a room that was so far from the elevators that we only came down and went back up once a day.
I heard the GC hallway joins the BWV hallway somewhere near Dallas.

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
disney-super-mom
I make a mean pot of Jazz Kitchen gumbo
BRING ME ANOTHER DIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistre Gracey

MG

So that's why, when we were wandering, and wandering, and wandering the hallways to visit friends there, that we started hearing voices with a southern twang!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
darner
10+year DVC owner

sort of off the OP, but we've stayed at GC 2x and though really far from the elevator, they were really close to the stairwell... and the stairwell exited right at LaBrea Bakery...

sure stairs aren't for everyone, in fact in the 10 or so days we've stayed at GC, we've only seen one other family utilizing the stairs...

--
It's hard to compare GC vs. GF because of the total resort differences... never stayed at GF, but have stayed at DLH in Paris which is in the same class as these... very nice!

Welcome Home... DVC @ BWV
98, 04 DLParis
97, 99, 02, 03, 05, 07, 10* DLCalif.
73, 76, 80, 85, 92, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 01, 02, 04, 06, 08, 10 WDW
09 Vero Beach
02 Concierge Collection
darner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:55 AM   #9
Scratch42
I Owe, I Owe, so Off to Work I go
"Cruise" will definately be a four letter word when the credit card bill comes in!
Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
SAVVY?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistre Gracey

MG

I'll have to check it out next week!

Wow, never thought I could go to WDW too!

janet
Scratch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 AM   #10
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

DL and WDW are very different environments. Even like rides are different between the parks. For example we actually prefer Pirates at DL with its New Orleans beginning, double drop to get outside of the berm and more interesting finale to the version of Pirates in WDW.

GF and GC are very different resorts as well. Consider GC more akin to WL in WDW in terms of theming. They shared the same design team, I believe. GF is stately where GC is just breathtaking.

You will enjoy either choice in resort and property. I would probably do DL since it is their 50th celebration and they have done some nice things for that. For a special treat stay on concierge floor.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-5), Bay Lake Towers (7), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (8), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (4), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
nickglover
Mouseketeer

we were on the second floor on the end and used the outdoor stairs all the time for quick access to the parking across the road

the two properties are very different

GF, in my opinion, is more stately and elegant - it is a much larger property with lots of waterfront, more restaurants and two pools and water rentals available - it is on the monorail system, too - victorian

GC is more classy and compact - similar to wilderness lodge but smaller - craftsman architecture and style - nice general restaurant (storytellers) and a very fancy (I say exotic) gourmet restaurant (napa rose) - best advantage is it is built into California Adventure and you can enter the park from your own hotel entrance - also, the view of the park lights at night (either from a room or a common balcony on the 4th floor I think) is dazzling - all the vibrant colors and the crystal cathedral in the far background - just brilliant - you can also walk to DD, which splits DL and CA
nickglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #12
Dale-n-Chip
Obsessive Vacation Planner Spontaneity is not in my genetic makeup!

Shorter vacation possible at DL

Because the DL resort is much more compact, I think you can "do it all" in a shorter vacation than WDW. Maybe that means a shorter vacation, maybe that means more down time at the resort, taking time to smell the roses, whatever suits your style. That said, I wouldn't book a shorter vacation over a weekend and plan to get a lot of rides done on Saturday! DL draws a much larger local crowd than WDW. If you've got a choice, make Saturday your "off" day.

If you haven't been to DL in a while, this is the time to go. I'd love DL in a thunderstorm dressed in a lightning rod. . . but the 50th makes it all the more magical.

Now that we're DVC owners, DL will be our shorter vacation destination on "point-short" years. If this is what we call a "disappointing" vacation, we are in pretty fine shape!

Happy planning!

Chip Dale
Dale-n-Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
Dom262
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both hotels this year. My wife and I prefer the GC. we received better service and the hotel seemed to be cleaner.
Dom262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #14
ceejay13
DIS Veteran

We have also stayed at both and much prefer the GC. We have had 5 stays at the GC and love both the theme park and DD views. This is the only Disney hotel in the US that you can have a park view and we love looking out over Grizzly River Rapids and being able to see the hustle and bustle during the day and the quiet nights after closing. At Christmas time we like the DD view to listen to the holiday music and see all the decorations. It is also nice to have the entrance into DCA. We certainly enjoyed the GF but the GC was much more to our tastes.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:47 AM   #15
bfosbenner
Cherishing each visit

I am planning to be in the area the week of Aug 12 - 20 for the USA Water Ski Nationals in Bakersfield with my family. with dw,dd(9) and ds(11 months)
We want to stay at GC a few days as it will be our first visit west.

Would you all use points or cash? When is the best time to start searching for a good rate?
My use year is December so I can look at booking soon.
bfosbenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: