Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
itsreally4mommy
Mouseketeer

Is Askersus Gross? Should we cancel Prin Storybook Dinner?

Our first night reservation is the Princess Storybook Dinner at Askerskus (sp?) in Epcot. Upon looking at the menu and a few articles it sounds really gross. I also worry about DH, as he can't have anything with cured meat (msg and nitrites).

I considered switching to Liberty Tree, although I doubt I could get a character sitting, do you think I could get a regular meal sitting? I have also read that is a favorite for Thanksgiving, when I tried to reserv. it was for the character meal and I didn't ask about regular. Do you think they'd have any reg. left, or should I just stick with Prime TIme on THanksgiving?
itsreally4mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
maggs
DIS Veteran

Akershus has always had one of the best ratings in The Unofficial Guide and it has again this year. I, along with my kids are very healthy eaters and were in despair on our first visit - not knowing where to eat and only smelling burgers wherever we went.
However we had been told about Akershus and went. We were in heaven - lots of cold fish dishes and salads - yum, yum.
The food was so good. Up until the princess lunches and dinners started I barely ever saw a bad review. That was because like minded people went for the food and the food only!!!!! However now there are people going (knowing perfectly well what the food is going to be) who really go for the princess experience. They then complain about the food is since they didnt like fish to start with. I absolutely adored this oasis in Epcot before the Princesses. I am sorry to say I wont be going back to what is now a noisy and overpriced restaurant, even though they have reinstalled the buffet. The food has always been good and is anything but gross. By the way the desserts are yummy.
If you dont like fish and salads I would strongly advise you not to go. It is wonderfully healthy tasty food but if it isnt your thing I wouldnt risk it.

Maggs
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

Last edited by maggs; 11-18-2005 at 01:40 AM.
maggs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
DW mouser
DIS Veteran

I was so surprised that Disney choose this restaurant to use for Storybook!! We ate there once, not really knowing what kind of food it was (before it was storybook) and out of 7 of us, my DH was the only one that liked it!! There are a lot of people that don't like pickled herring and goat cheese!! Wish there was something on the menu more that children would like!! Someone said they do have a children's menu, but I bet it's not too much different! Guess I should check it out just in case.
HRH 2001
AKL December 2002
Disneyland Hotel 2004
POFQ March 2006
Alaska Cruise with Holland America June 2006
WL March 2008
Hard Rock Universal March 2011
DW mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

From memory little food in Akershus is cured meat, that is more likely to be Germany. We love Akershus as the food is so fresh and makes a change to the usual fries and burgers. Having said that we haven't been since Oct 2004 and won't be going again now that the Princesses are there as it ruins the lovely tranquil adult atmosphere that used to be there for the dining experience to be really memorable
Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

We did PSB dinner in Sept. I'm a very picky eater & was concerned that I wouldn't find anything to eat, but figured I could always trade for DD's kids meal - she'll eat almost anything. I was pleasantly surprised, and liked several items (no I didn't like the goat cheese & didn't even taste the herring). The fish & salads is just the appetizer part, so don't let that deter you. I had a meatloaf type dish that has a Norwegian name that I can't spell, and DH had lamb (which we had never tasted before) - both were very good.

DW mouser, the kid's menu is typical wdw fare - I don't remember exactly what was offered, but DD had chicken breast, potatoes, and corn. Seems there was a turkey wrap with grapes, and a few other choices. Even the adult menu offers pasta & chicken breast among the choices.
angel's momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

I'm probably one of the pickiest eaters ever. We scheduled the Princess Lunch for my DD and her friend this last June and I decided that I should be a good sport and try the food. All I can say is YUMMY. The food was so good-even the pickled herring. We were all so pleased including DH. The appetizer foods were delicious as was the main course.Our server was so sweet-he recommended the rice cream and again yummy. You must try this at least once. The food was fresh and soooo much better than Cinderella's meal.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
LaLa
Hangs with the Mensas
Uses her boss as a coat rack while she dances
Dreams of running with the big dogs

DH and I had gone back in 95 before they had the Princess Dinner and absolutely fell in love with the place. The food was our favorite meal that entire trip. We just returned with our 2 kids in tow and did the PSB last month before MNSSHP. I don't know what they have done with the food there, but I was really disappointed. The appetizer bar was okay. They have a pretty large selection of cold seafood, cheeses, salads, etc. I think that was the best part of the meal. I thought I would play it safe and order the chicken pasta as my entree and it was awful. I could only eat a few bites. DH had the lamb. He was also unimpressed. The kids menu actually did look pretty good to me. DD4 got the turkey wrap, which came with grapes and cheese I think. DS7 loved his corn dog. Or was it a hot dog? Can't remember. Anyway, the kids liked theirs, the adults didn't. And I do say that with regret, because I still love this place and I really did want to like the food. The building is really cool and the characters are great. DD absolutely loved all the princesses coming around, especially Belle. She had donned her lovely Belle ball gown for the occasion. DS would not even look their way without turning 3 shades of red. Very cute. The dessert I could take it or leave it. I liked the chocolate mousse. Not a fan of the Rice cream. However, DH loved it.

Having said that, I guess if you really want to try it but are hesitant about the food, just go for it. You'll never know unless you try it. You may really like it. Like I said, the appetizer bar is pretty large and I'm sure you'll find something you like. After all, I may not have had my best meal in DW there, but I will always have this:

LaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
erikthewise
Gandalf wannabe
TFs are very, very cute and feisty pixie-like creatures!

I'm sure many people would call it "gross". I love the food there but I can understand if you don't. You can eat pretty well there without touching the fish, but if you like seafood it is heaven.

I was concerned about the goat cheese, but if you can get past the name and the appearance, it is wonderful! Mild and smooth and creamy. I could fill up on just goat cheese and lefse (flatbread kind of like tortilla).

Before it "went princess" this was the best value in Epcot. If you are looking for a princess meal and are willing to try something a little different, this is the place.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
anty30
DIS Veteran

The breakfast is the best ever.
WDW Dolphin: 2003
DCL Western: 2006, 2008
WDW Off-site: 1988, 2002
UO & IOA: 2006
WDW FQ: 2009
WDW POR : 2012
anty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
lorik
Mouseketeer

DS, 14, has got to be the world's pickiest eater. On top of this he is also a huge eater. We need to eat at places that have specific types of food and large quantities of it. Askershus fits the bill perfectly. We ate there on the spur of the moment years ago before it was a Princess meal and the whole family loved it. This time we chose it so that DD, 9, could have a Princess meal. However,if there hadn't been something on the menu that I was sure they would eat, we wouldn't have gone. DD had the kid's ravioli and DS had the pasta with grilled chicken. In fact, he had 3 servings of it. DH and I also loved the food here. It is on our list of must-do's for next time.
lorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #11
LiteBrite
I'm a 3-5 wearings girl in the winter
I'm a free spirit when it comes to cutlery presentation
said tomato is residing in my tummy
I'm pretty sure I wore my bra in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa

LaLa, I had to comment just because your little girl looks so much like my daughter did at that age, it really caught me by surprise! She just had her 18th birthday this week, and here's what she looks like now:
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
itsreally4mommy
Mouseketeer

OK, I feel better now. I am not big on fish (I like Talapia and breaded cod, and that's about it) but we really like seafood! I feel better knowing they offer some other mainstream items. As long as it is edible I am good, its the atmosphere that I'm really going for. Heck, I've stayed in plenty of Mexico All Inclusives to be flexible on resort food, LOL!
itsreally4mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Hubby had the salmon here for lunch in Sept. and felt really sick afterwards. I had the pasta dish and did not have a problem. BTW, I'm vegetarian and didn't find very much here to eat -- buffet or menu. It is a meat and fish eaters type of place.

The buffet appetizers are very different than the standard buffet. I thought the desserts were awesome.

IMO, I think this place is worth it for the atmosphere with the princesses alone. Do not expect a lot in terms of the food, though.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
Caramia01
Mouseketeer

Some of the main entrees didn't sound too bad. Allearsnet listed beef/chicken kababs. That sounds safe. Is it? And can anyone describe the chicken/pasta dish everyone keeps mentioning? Thanks!!
Caramia01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #15
scrump
so the decision has been made for me
I think they are both a lot of fun and very unique

We used to love this place pre-Princess. It was always a must-do for our trips becaue the ambience was so great, and the food was yummy. We will not be going back this year, we wish they kept at least one meal as a non-Princess meal.

scrump is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: