Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
raammartin
*This space for rent*
Duuuuuurn....ducks have tongues?
I'm "gazelle-intense" about it!
Boston Cream Pie - oh my ga! - I LOVE IT!
Something Flashy

Red plant/shrubbery

Some of my neighbors have some gorgeous red plant or small red shrubbery in the flowerbeds around their homes. It seems to stay red year round too. Can anyone tell me what this might be? Sorry I don't have more detail.

Thanks!

DH (40+) Me (40+) DS (18) DD (16)
WDW 7/2014°o°Port Orleans Resort French Quarter DL 3/2010°o°Disney's Grand Californian
WDW 7/2009°o°All-Star Sports Mom and Son Birthday Trip WDW 8/2007°o°Pop Century WDW 11/2006°o°Coronado Springs Resort WDW 8/2001°o°Caribbean Beach Resort WDW 11/2000°o°Disney All-Star Movie WDW 1990°o°offsite WDW 1978°o°offsite

raammartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Tulirose
"MIS-ter Garibaldi!"
Imagine ornery picture of Daffy Duck here
I have no clue but I'm okay with that
Peonies are Tulirose's most favorite flower!

No clue but Burning Bush turns red this time of year and I've seen some recently that really look like the color of fire!
Tulirose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics
Better get back to my laughing place for cheese

Location: 1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home"resort The Boardwalk

Bingo Tuli! Euonymous aka Burning Bush

Most of the season it's a deep green shrub - it's in autumn that it really shines. Right around the first frosts, the green makes way for a screaming red color. More exposed branches turn color first. Berries turn red too. Few shrubs can rival this for autumn color.

DebšošS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
UrsulasShadow

I'm digging the cistern now..Oh, WIILL

Location: Under Plymouth Rock...crawling out for the occasional lobstah.

I kind of doubt that's what the OP is describing...for one, she says it's a plant or small shrubbery...Euonymus alatus is HUGE (except for 'Compacta'). Plus, she says it stays red year round, and burning bush is green most of the time. Besides, I'm not sure of it's range, but I don't think Louisiana is within it(actually, it's hardy to Zone 9, and I think she's probably in Zone 8)

Unfortunately, I don't know tropicals very well. Any southern gardeners with a clue as to what it might be?

Last edited by UrsulasShadow; 11-14-2005 at 09:02 PM. Reason: More info...
UrsulasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics
Better get back to my laughing place for cheese

Location: 1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home"resort The Boardwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsulasShadow
I kind of doubt that's what the OP is describing...for one, she says it's a plant or small shrubbery...Euonymus alatus is HUGE (except for 'Compacta'). Plus, she says it stays red year round, and burning bush is green most of the time. Besides, I'm not sure of it's range, but I don't think Louisiana is within it(actually, it's hardy to Zone 9, and I think she's probably in Zone 8)

Unfortunately, I don't know tropicals very well. Any southern gardeners with a clue as to what it might be?
True US, they don't stay red year round. I didn't see that part. Mine stay small if trimmed. Maybe it's Barberry. They're red and they do stay small if trimmed and they grow in the south. I have quite a few as landscaping bushes.

DebšošS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
UrsulasShadow

That's true, Deb, it could be 'Crimson Pygmy' or 'Rose Glow' barberry. Does that grow in Zone 8, too?

Just as an aside, both burning bush and barberry are on the slate as being banned for sale in MA, because of their tendency to displace native flora. I don't know if they're targeting the named cultivars of barberry, or just the species, yet, but Euonymus alatus is long overdue for the ban. Seeds itself everywhere, just like Russian olive. And I heard a rumor about Japanese maple for sometime in the future...now that would be a real shame!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

If you could take a picture and post it, that would help. Nandina stays reddish most of the year here in my area and it's small and shrub like. The larger Nandina has little berries on it, but the smaller doesn't. Maybe?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
raammartin
*This space for rent*
Duuuuuurn....ducks have tongues?
I'm "gazelle-intense" about it!
Boston Cream Pie - oh my ga! - I LOVE IT!
Something Flashy

Thanks so much for the answers, Ladies. I will try to take a picture of the plant soon and post it. Right now I'm going search online for the plants y'all have listed and see if any of those look like this plant/bush.

And, yes, I am in zone 8. I am totally new at this gardening thing. I keep killing stuff, heck I only had my mum a week and it was dead - and this was soon after they started selling them.

DH (40+) Me (40+) DS (18) DD (16)
WDW 7/2014°o°Port Orleans Resort French Quarter DL 3/2010°o°Disney's Grand Californian
WDW 7/2009°o°All-Star Sports Mom and Son Birthday Trip WDW 8/2007°o°Pop Century WDW 11/2006°o°Coronado Springs Resort WDW 8/2001°o°Caribbean Beach Resort WDW 11/2000°o°Disney All-Star Movie WDW 1990°o°offsite WDW 1978°o°offsite

raammartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

We have green shrubs that turn red in the fall. They are burning bush..they are beautiful especially against our white fence...in the fall they are surrounded by the gold marigolds that last until the frost and they make a wonderful combination. They can grow over four feet tall.
auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #10
UrsulasShadow

Don't stress about killing a mum...really, it's not your fault! If you buy them early in the season, the heat burns them out. If you buy them late, the cold sends them to an early grave. Ideally, you would be able to buy them early in the spring, get them into the ground, and give them a whole season for their roots to be established. Planting anything in full bloom is just asking for trouble. It can be done, of course, but it's just one more stress on a plant that's living under unnatural conditions as it is...so don't blame yourself.

Love to see what it is you've been seeing in people's gardens, Amanda...my curiosity is really piqued!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: