Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Drug Question

DD started taking an antibiotic the middle of last week for her complexion. Shortly thereafter, she got sick. She was dizzy and ended up vomiting repeatedly. I had to take her to a clinic where they put her on an IV and gave her something to calm her stomach. Of course, she stopped taking the antibiotic. At the clinic, I told them about the drug. They didn't say anything about it being a problem. The doctor acted like she thought DD had a bug. DD is now feeling fine and is supposed to start taking the antibiotic again tonight. Now, I'm concerned. Maybe it was the drug that caused her to get sick. Has anyone had any experience with Minocycline?
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Blueeyes101817
Diehard Cowboys fan!
Tag trading will not be as profitable as pin trading
Being watched

not me..but i hope she feels better soon!
Blueeyes101817 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
twinmomplus2new
DIS Veteran

Peggy...

TAKE KENDALL off that drug and do not give it to her again!!!!!!

There are some very serious side effects from this drug.

It can actually cause drug induced Lupus. I will E-mail you on your other e-mail. Or if you still have my number you can call me!
twinmomplus2new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
nwdisgal
DIS Veteran

I don't know anything about the drug you are referencing, but is it an option for your daughter to take topical meds for her complexion instead of antibiotics? My DD had some complexion problems and the doctor put her on topical lotions. At least then, you wouldn't have to worry about your DD being on a long term antibiotic and the possible side affects.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
twinmomplus2new
DIS Veteran

Peggy

E-mail sent.. to the cfl address.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
mudnuri
I HATE it when I miss something
Can't wear the same shoes twice in 7 days!
Its a betty crocker day

from drugs.com search

Quote:
What are the possible side effects of minocycline?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking minocycline and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· severe headache, vision changes, or confusion;
· liver damage (yellowing of the skin or eyes, nausea, abdominal pain or discomfort, unusual bleeding or bruising, severe fatigue); or
· blood problems (fever, fatigue, easy bruising or bleeding).
• If you experience any of the following less serious side effects, continue to take minocycline and talk to your doctor:
· nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
· increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight;
· dizziness;
· swollen tongue; or
· ******l yeast infection.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
best wishes to kendall......and I'd call the dermatologist and ask for a different drug

Brandy
mudnuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

I've never taken the drug, but I asked my husband about it (he's a 4th year medical student) and he said that class of drug commonly causes stomach upset like Kendall had. Also, he said the sun will often make your symptoms worse, and I see that you live in Florida so I'm guessing she's in the sun a lot. I'd definitely ask the dr about it and get a different drug since it can't hurt to try something new.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
LuvN~Travel
A DMV employee noticed that I lost weight
part of the wear whatever is clean crowd!

My dd has used tetracycline for hers but never the other. But, she's never had any problem with it other than forgetting to take it.
Hope it was just a bug.
Kim
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 AM   #9
LindsayDunn228
Quite a hunk of man, isn't he???
I laughed myself silly ... during the dancing

Doxycyline made me SOOOO sick to my stomach I had HORRIBLE dry heaves. I went back to the doctor and they told me they are side effects that some folks have. I had them put it in my file to NEVER give me this drug again and I always make a point to tell them i can't take it. Give me Cephlex any day of the week.

So I think it's certainly possible to get very sick from an antibiotic.
LindsayDunn228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Is doxycycline the same as minocycline?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 AM   #11
LindsayDunn228

Oh I don't know. I posted that before I saw she had listed the drug
Old 11-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #12
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Doxycycline and minocycline are very similar, but not the same. One is supposed to be more mild than the other but I can't remember which is which. I want to say that the Doxy is easier on you.

I took the doxycycline for rosacea last year. I was only able to tolerate it for a few days and my stomach started hurting (I was on a VERY low dose) and then when I would drive around in my car (in the sun) but skin would get beet red and get kind of bumpy. These drugs both make you extremely sensitive to sunlight.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #13
LindsayDunn228

Christine, that's interesting. After being at work at hovering over the toilet most of the day and just dry heaving, I went home and stayed in bed for like 3 days. I was on the antibiotic for bronchitis AND the flu. I was miserable!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #14
Lynn CC
DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISer that realizes that there may be MORE than one TF!
If she can't be on a boat, wants to be at Disney World!

When I read your post I couldn't believe you were referring to Minocycline.
We almost lost our 18 year old son this summer ( he had a very long stay in the hospital) because he took it for 2 weeks before his HS Graduation. His dermatologist suggested he take it so he would have really clear skin (his skin wasn't event that bad at all).

We watched him get weaker and gradually feeling worse each day that he was on the drug for 2 weeks, until he had to be rushed to the emergency room one evening. He was not breathing correctly, couldn't speak,his feet and hands were BLUE and his blood pressure was 60 something over 40 something. He was swollen so much that we didn't even recognize him. To make a long story very short he was allergic and we didn't even know it. Minocycline sometimes gradually worsens the symptoms of the allergy. We thought he just couldn't shake a bug he had over the course, we even took him to the family physician who didn't catch it.

We are so Lucky to have him around today, it was the worst day of our lives.
He has ongoing issues with hives and a few other things, and had to take steroids for some time afterwards.
So if you were to ask my DS if teens should be Warned about the drug he could have a verrrry long conversation with your DD! Doctors give it out without really warning young patients of the risk involved. He is very sensative to meds (takes after me), so I know he wouldn't have filled that perscription had he known.
We switched Dermatologists! So far so good...good luck to your DD, let me know what works for her if she find something else.
Lynn CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
twinmomplus2new
DIS Veteran

Lynn CC

Interesting was this Cape Cod Hosp? Or The Falmouth?

Has he had Bloodwork done? Make sure he does and that there are no Lupus effects from this. At least he was on the steroids to help with inflamation. Do you know what his Histome count was in the hospitiol?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: