Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
justlikeeyore
Mouseketeer

Question Adventure club closing

I just read im mouseplanet that half of pleasure island in going to be turned into resturants, and the only clubs that will stay open are Mannequins, 8-trax and comedy warehouse. Has anyone heard of this.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeeyore
I just read im mouseplanet that half of pleasure island in going to be turned into resturants, and the only clubs that will stay open are Mannequins, 8-trax and comedy warehouse. Has anyone heard of this.
I haven't heard anything except for what I read at MousePlanet.

Whenever I read a new Disney rumor, I apply a "realty check" filter to that rumor. If the rumor is sugggesting something that makes no economic sense or is counter to how Disney usually acts, then I'm highly skeptical.

However, in this case, the rumor passes through the "realty check" filter with flying colors. The Jazz Club is already gone; the Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant is evidence that Disney sees a better economic payback from leased restaurants than from a nightclub complex. Pleasure Island is no longer "gated" at night. It's not a stretch to think that other clubs will become restaurants.

I'm not sure that MousePlanet has is right when they say that, "everything on the lake side of Pleasure Island will be demolished, and the area will be repopulated by contracted restaurants." Disney doesn't like to demolish buldings (Horizons and and the Villas at Disney Institute notwithstanding); usually Disney reuses buildings. So most of the Pleasure Island buildings may simply be reused. Yes, some buildings could be demolished, especially if a restaurant wants big picture windows onto the lake and an existing building can't be adapted.

Also, I think it's simplistic that clubs on the lake side will all be gone, but those on the other side of the walkway will all continue as they are. I suspect that it will be more of a case-by-case situation. It will be a matter of getting the best economic return on each location, not a matter of which side of the walk the club is on.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

The rumor's I've heard is that with the new MAgic your way tix, the PI clubs are being forced to pay their own way. AC doesn't generate enough in booze revenue apparently.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
pr surfer
Beaches and Beers.

hmm... what I head when speaking with Joe Rohde last month was the exact opposite... "the AC is safe"
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."
pr surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
WDWHound
DIS Veteran

Here is the quote from Mouseplanet:
"The story, as we heard it, is that attendance has been down so badly at the Pleasure Island clubs that, even with extending Cast Member nights to five nights per week, they were still having trouble getting people into the clubs. Because of this, everything on the lake side of Pleasure Island will be demolished, and the area will be repopulated by contracted restaurants. Contracted restaurants have been the biggest money maker for Disney in the Downtown Disney area."

I didn't take the time to visit the AC on my last trip. I wish I had. Now I amy never get another chance. I hope pc_server is correct.

WDWHound
"Im not the hound they think I am at all, no no no no. I'm a rocket hound. Rocket Hound, burning out a fuse up here alone" (Elton John, sort of)
WDWHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
YoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr surfer
hmm... what I head when speaking with Joe Rohde last month was the exact opposite... "the AC is safe"

Joe Rohde is lucky to have a job and he doens't know squat about what managment thinks.

I've been in a company where my immediate superiors said things were fiine while the execs were getting ready to lay us off. It means nothing.

www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
Old 11-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Just a couple observations from someone who spends way too much time at PI...

The two comedy clubs and 8-Trax (AC even more than CW) seem to be the only clubs able to attract consistent crowds these days, i.e. on weekdays. I would not be surprised to see the often deserted Beach Club go (saddened, but not surprised), and maybe management thinks combining the few people in Motion with the few in Mannequins will add up to something. So those two closings make sense to me.

Although it always seems busy, if not packed, AC does seem to atttract a disproportionate number of older guests and kids, so I believe Yo Ho about it not selling its fair share of booze. I also think it is less likely for someone watching a show to buy a drink than, say, someone standing around a club. In addition, you can't run AC with just a skeleton crew of 2 or 3 bar staff, as I've seen done at the other clubs. You also need 7 actors to make the scripted shows work, and that must cost $$.

If AC does close so they can put in another Hard Rock Cafe clone, it will be a very sad day. I truly believe AC is quite possibly the best attraction on Disney property. If nothing else, I hope they at least let it go out with a final farewell party (similar to what Universal did for King Kong), rather than just shutting the doors one day.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

One more thought...everytime I'm in the ticket line it seems someone wants to buy a "single club ticket" to AC (even tho single tickets are only for the "music" clubs). Why not try converting AC to a seperate, ticketed attraction? Not enough space?
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
pr surfer
Beaches and Beers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo
Joe Rohde is lucky to have a job and he doens't know squat about what managment thinks.

I've been in a company where my immediate superiors said things were fiine while the execs were getting ready to lay us off. It means nothing.
Funny... I figured him being the designer of the Adventurers Club, Mexico Pavilion, and Disney's Animal Kingdom AS WELL AS A Disney Executive made him a pretty good source.
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."
Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
YoHo

Maybe if he wasn't a part of Imagineering I'd believe it, but he is and Imagineering has no power, no sayso, nothing. He's lucky to have a job.

Also, every time I've heard him in an inteview I've thought he was a schmuck.

www.july171955.com

Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #11
pr surfer
Beaches and Beers.

here's a good post from the Adventurer's Club Yahoo Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith from AC Yahoo Group
A few, probably not helpful comments.
1. This rumor is not new. It has been around at least since Q1 of this year
and I am surprised it took this long to get out. The basic truth in it is
that the water front property is more valuable and has better views than the
other side of the street. Any big changes to PI will very likely affect
those clubs first.
2. While Joe Rhode did tell me that he does not believe the club will be
closing anytime soon, that does not mean there are no plans to do so.
If/When the time draws close he may hear of it, but the DD area is a
separate business unit from Calif. Imagineering and they are not required to
report to each other.
3. The Club does good business, especially for events. I hear this
everywhere. It may or may not mean it does well enough, or that the overhead
of operating it compares well to having places like HOB and Rainforest. I'm
sure these decisions are not based solely on attendance, and I know first
hand they do a lot of studies. As some of you can relate, the comedy clubs
are often packed, but these changes are not planed in a total vaccuum.
Factors such as profit, overhead, legal liabilities, safety, reputation, new
opportunities all come into play. The business climate, competition, and
Orlando as a city are not as they were 10 years ago. I'm sure the club will
eventually close -- sometime -- eventually. Things change at WDW all the
time as they older. PI wil lsee more changes in 2006.
4. I'm sure the performers will know before we do, as it will affect their
working arrangements the most.
5. With all the new hotel space and general park attendance up, it is a
fact that there is a restaurant shortage in WDW.
I hope when the time does finally come there will be a special party and
auction for those that love the place. For some of us it's a second
(sometimes dysfunctional) family. The PI Comedy clubs are the very BEST
venue on WDW property to see the multiple talents and improv skills of the
performers.
I always wished Disney whould franchise the club or to NY and Vegas. I
would rather see them plexi-glass in the top floor of the Adv Club and turn
it into a themed restaurant/bar or a dinner theater rather than eliminate it
or the downstairs shows. Of course then I'd need the equivalent of a
Hoop-de-Doo dinner annual pass.
The bottom line is that we will just have to wait until someone that really
knows tells us.
Keith
Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
AdventurerKat
Cries in her Jello shots
Adventurers Club Addict
Thinks she is invisible to the Tag Fairy, but she's not!

This rumor has actually been going around since shortly after 9-11. At least that's the first time I was told the club could be in danger from CMs.

All I can say is that you enjoy the Adventurers Club, show your support. Write and let Disney know you love it. And when you visit WDW, visit the club and visit it often, drinking some Kungalooshes (or your adult beverage of choice) along the way. Money talks.

The Adventurers Club is a one of a kind experience, and not just for Disney. It will be a sad day indeed if its doors close.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
pr surfer
Beaches and Beers.

Anyone up for chaining themselves to the front should a wrecking ball arrive?

We shall not, we shall not be moved
Like Hathaway's Plane, that's standing in the water
We shall not be moved

The Yakoose is behind us,
We shall not be moved

We're fighting for our cloooooob,
We shall not be moved

We're fighting for Kungaloosh,
We shall not be moved

We'll let Otis win the Balderdash,
We shall not be moved

Emil and Otis together,
We shall not be moved

Sam and Pam together,
We shall not be moved
Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #15
airlarry!
Did you know some ferns date back to Prehistoric times?

I am waiting to hear from the "experts" how replacing live and unique entertainment options with chain dining is part of the Disney philosophy.

Still waiting...

The summer semester schedule is out, and classes are filling up, so contact the Admissions Office soon at www.july171955.com to sign up for Advanced Disney Studies 101. Check with your advisor for prerequisites specific to your area of interest.
airlarry! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: