Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #61
DisHornFan
Mouseketeer

So a few of you have posted about 'ruining the magic'. I hadn't really taken this factor into consideration. Knowing what you know now, would you pick to work somewhere that you love and risk ruining it, or rather work somewhere completely different to preserve the mystique?

WDW CP Spring 2008 Attractions- Space Mountain
Seasonal 2008-2012
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #62
sneezy1956
Mouseketeer

I would like the answer to this question also. My son is accepted to the Spring Advantage program. He will be going if we can get him enrolled in one of the co-op programs. We just need to make sure that he can keep his insurance
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #63
Uuaww
Guilty of 74 counts of pumpkin pilfering!
Bugs are partial to my ears

Id prefer to work in a hotel rather than the parks but thats just me.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #64
figments407
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisHornFan
So a few of you have posted about 'ruining the magic'. I hadn't really taken this factor into consideration. Knowing what you know now, would you pick to work somewhere that you love and risk ruining it, or rather work somewhere completely different to preserve the mystique?

Now, I am no alum, but here is my two cents:
I am a little concerend about ruining the magic--there will be things you see that you don't want to, or days you do not want to work, or people you meet who just aren't right for Disney...
But you can create magic ( yes, 100% corny) and that in it's own sense means a lot more. And if you're working somewhere you love, there will be passion and enthusiasm there and it will show in you.
Atleast that's what I think...but I am hopelessly optimistic

What do you others think?

Old 11-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #65
killabee_1993
WDWCP Alumni

We never had a bug problem in our apartment at Chatham. On the balcony at the apartment above us, we saw alot of those little green frogs all the time. They were everywhere, and we saw a few lizards. How they found their way into the shower, I still cant figure it out.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #66
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

We took advantage of my daughters discount when she was in the CP. Just allow plenty of time for planning to get the discounted rates. You have to wait until they have an ID and are in the system.

She also dealt with Central Michigan University so that the classes she took she got credit for. This was one of the options. They were great to work with.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #67
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I think most people over pack for the CP. My daughter sure did. There are stores here if you forget anything but she brought way too many clothes and "stuff."

It is a long day and be aware unless they have changed it you are assigned roommates based on who is standing in line with you. If he is going down with friends they need to get in line together at check in.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #68
sneezy1956
Mouseketeer

We are fighting with Ohio University right now over credit. He has to be enrolled in one of 2 or 3 classes that are considered co-op or internship or we lose insurance which we can't afford to do. We are trying to get stuff worked out so he can go but it's like pulling teach especially since he didn't expect to get accepted to the Advantage program.

We are a quarter based school.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #69
teh fish
DIS Veteran

I don't see it as ruining the magic. Yes, now I have full familiarity with the Haunted Mansion and know exactly how all the effects work, but I make magic whenever I tell people trivia or things to watch out for. I make magic whenever I work parade control and play around with the little kids.

I once had about 10 of them take me on in a game of soccer during the easter parade. I talked with a family and the sons wanted me to sign their autograph book. I heard about a little girl with special needs and was able to have the Christmas Shop make a certificate with her name on it and candy to bring back. I gave a front of the line pass to a frazzled mother that just arrived in the park late in the day and was afraid she wasn't going to get to go on everything.

Then, when I transfered to characters, it did sort of take away the mystery, but once I started performing it was wonderful.

And like figments said, there are days you don't want to work and fellow CMs you don't like working with, or guests that really make you mad. But then I think about how I was among the few to be selected to learn about attractions and characters and all the memories I've made.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #70
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisHornFan
Oh no! I saw a LOT at Disney that would freak you out. And I found out some interesting things. But that makes it all the more interesting for me. Working at Disney is what I want to do.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 11-23-2005, 12:20 AM   #71
DisHornFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985
Oh no! I saw a LOT at Disney that would freak you out. And I found out some interesting things. But that makes it all the more interesting for me. Working at Disney is what I want to do.
Sorry, lol. Just to clarify I meant maybe if Haunted Mansion or some other ride was your favorite thing about Disney, would you request to work there or maybe in the hotels or merchandising instead? But definately still in Disney!

WDW CP Spring 2008 Attractions- Space Mountain
Seasonal 2008-2012
Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #72
jenijeni
CL_jenijeni soon ask me to trade!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by binigrl417
Cool, HM is my first choice (I really want to do operations, I interview tomorrow). It must be pretty hard to get though, I'm sure everybody wants to work there.
Who's everybody I hate that I'm a chicken! LOL
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #73
BigPigletFan
I am Piglet hear my Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylovingmom
I know that you are assigned to an apartment when you arrive, but do they ask you whether you'd rather live at Vista or Chatham? or has that already been decided before you arrive?
YES. They do ask. It isn't decided. They ask, "Do you have any living preferences?" And they try their best to accomidate them. Don't be shy. Get there early on check-in day and say what you want. Tell them you want a one-bedroom first over accecpting a two-bedroom, your living situation, etc. before letting them decide for you. If you check-in with someone you want to room with you can ask when you get there and they ask you also.

I would like to add my name to list of saying it's not worth it to drink while you are here. Yes, it's only a couple of months but think about your roommates that are here for the sole purpose of working for Disney. I'm not here to party, I'm here to work for Disney again. I can't afford my roommates to have alcohol when they aren't supposed to... and it's on everyone who is living there too! Please think twice about when you do this program if alcohol is important to you.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #74
binigrl417
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijeni
Who's everybody I hate that I'm a chicken! LOL
lol Thats ok, I still don't want to talk about my crying and screaming episode on the Tower of Terror when I rode it for the first (and last) time just this past August. It was the only thing I ever really hated about Disney. Not the rest of the ride, just that awful drop.
June 2002:ASM
August 2004:WL
July 2005:WL
Facebook Me!
SPRING 2006 OPERATIONS CP!!!

Lobby Concierge at Saratoga Springs. Concierge of course being a fancy French word for ticket salesman.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #75
Horizons16
Is experiment 626
Kawabunga!

Im willing to bet that most people that are down there under aged are in the same mind set. That is, not drinking while down there for fear of getting booted faster than you can say Walt Disney. Im under aged, and dont get me wrong I drink and Im certainly not a spokesperson for not drinking. That said, I am also not that statistic that drinks to the point of passing out or gets behind the wheel of a car and kills half the people on the road that night.
I just hope that the roomates I am placed with feel the same about it as I do.

Larry the Lobstah takes his last spin on The Barnstormer.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: