Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #1381
huey578
Test Track Dummy

DME departure question. Our flight leaves at 10:20am, what time will DME pick us up at resort? TIA

WDW Commando Member #201
huey578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #1382
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by huey578 View Post
DME departure question. Our flight leaves at 10:20am, what time will DME pick us up at resort? TIA
For a domestic flight, the scheduled pick-up time is 3 hours (plus or minus up to 15 minutes) before your scheduled flight departure.

For a 10:20 a.m. flight, that would mean some time between 7:05 a.m. and 7:35 a.m.

You should be at the pick-up spot 10 to 15 minutes before your pick-up time, with everything taken care of (such as RAC check-in).

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 09-02-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #1383
huey578
Test Track Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
For a domestic flight, the scheduled pick-up time is 3 hours (plus or minus up to 15 minutes) before your scheduled flight departure.

For a 10:20 a.m. flight, that would mean some time between 7:05 a.m. and 7:35 a.m.

You should be at the pick-up spot 10 to 15 minutes before your pick-up time, with everything taken care of (such as RAC check-in).
Thank you, H.H.

WDW Commando Member #201
huey578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1384
hotcarib
DIS Veteran

New busses!
New ME bus
New car smell
Seatbelts
Bigger tv screens
Improved light/ climate control

hotcarib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #1385
baggirl
Mouseketeer

I'm a total newbie, so I hope you dont mind me asking. I see on the 1st page that we don't have to let them take our luggage for us? How would that work? Do we just go to baggage claim, get our bag (we only have 1 checked bag plus our 3 personal items) and then head to wherever it is you pick up the ME? So should I not put the luggage tag on? Or should I in case it gets lost? But would that mean that will automatically take my bag?

Also, just out of curiosity, how much is a cab from the airport to the Poly? Thanks so much!!
baggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #1386
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggirl View Post
I'm a total newbie, so I hope you dont mind me asking. I see on the 1st page that we don't have to let them take our luggage for us? How would that work? Do we just go to baggage claim, get our bag (we only have 1 checked bag plus our 3 personal items) and then head to wherever it is you pick up the ME? So should I not put the luggage tag on? Or should I in case it gets lost? But would that mean that will automatically take my bag?

Also, just out of curiosity, how much is a cab from the airport to the Poly? Thanks so much!!
If you attach a yellow Disney's Magical Express (DME) tag before you check your bag a your home airport, your bag never goes to baggage claim. It's transfered to Disney "backstage" at the airport (between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. only).

If you don't attach a yellow tag, then it's "business as usual." You have to go to baggage claim and wait for your bag. You then have to take your bag to the DME Welcome Center. The Magical Express driver will stow your bag in the baggage hold of the motorcoach. It's customary to tip the driver when he returns it to you at your resort.

Claiming your own bag at MCO is likely to mean arriving at your WDW resort a half hour later than if you use DME as designed. (There will probably be a motorcoach leaving for your resort while you're going to and from baggage claim and waiting there for your bag.)

The baggage service is the best part of Magical Express. (Well, maybe the best part of magical Express is that there's no cost to use it.)

Why don't you put anything you'll need right away in a carry-on, and then let DME deliver your checked bag to your room while you're out having fun? (Disney handles the bellman tip when DME is used as designed.)

Cab fare from MCO to Poly is around $65 plus tip.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 09-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #1387
baggirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
If you attach a yellow Disney's Magical Express (DME) tag before you check your bag a your home airport, your bag never goes to baggage claim. It's transfered to Disney "backstage" at the airport.

If you don't attach a yellow tag, then it's "business as usual." You have to go to baggage claim and wait for your bag.

You then have to take your bag to the DME Welcome Center. The Magical Express driver will stow your bag in the baggage hold of the motorcoach. It's customary to tip the driver when he returns it to you at your resort.

Claiming your own bag at MCO is likely to mean arriving at your WDW resort a half hour later than if you use DME as designed.

The baggage service is the best part of Magical Express. (Well, maybe the best part of magical Express is that there's no cost to use it.)

Why don;t you put anything you'll need right away in a carry-on, and then let DME deliver your checked bag to your room while you're out having fun? (Disney handles the bellman tip when DME is used as designed.)

Cab fare from MCO to Poly is around $65 plus tip.
Thank you for the info! I'm also flying Spirit....does that matter??
Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #1388
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I'm also flying Spirit....does that matter??
See post #1 in this thread.

The airline that you fly makes absolutely no difference for your inbound flight. All domestic arrivals qualify for exactly the same service.

For your flight home, the only issue is that Spirit does not participate in Resort Airline Check-in (RAC). But you can still use DME.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #1389
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

As already noted, a cab, one way, is going to be about $65 or so. Double that for round trip. I'm not sure why you would choose to do that rather than take DME? If you really want to grab your own bags at baggage claim, just leave the checked bag(s) untagged (don't use the yellow tags from DME). Then, go there, get your bags and then head to Side B, level 1, where you will find DME. Your bags will go beneath the bus you are riding on.
If there is something you need to have at the resort, when you first arrive, pack it in your carryon bag..and then let DME take care of your checked bags for you!!! That will cut off about 20 mins from your travel time!!!! And while there can be a 4 hr wait for your checked bags to get to the resort, they are very seldom misdirected!!!

And again, as noted already, anyone can use DME..both ways. The airline they are flying on makes no difference. You can't use RAC if you fly Spirit..but that just means you have to get your boarding pass at the airport and check your bags there, the usual way, rather than at your resort. You will take your checked bags with you, on the DME bus, and they will be handed to you when you get to your terminal, then off to bag check and get your boarding passes.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #1390
baggirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I'm not sure why you would choose to do that rather than take DME?
I was just wondering b/c our return flight is at 1030am and I saw that we'd be picked up around 7am. I don't love that. But I'm not going to pay $65 to delay leaving by maybe an hour either. I was just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
That will cut off about 20 mins from your travel time!!!! And while there can be a 4 hr wait for your checked bags to get to the resort, they are very seldom misdirected!!!
We're not in a rush. We land early, like 10am. I know our room most likely won't be ready and we're not going to the parks that first day. We only have 1 checked bag.

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate all of the advice given here.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #1391
CarolinaMomOf3boys
I stepped onto the grass on the other side; it wasn't any greener, just different.......A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle......I wasn't born a princess, but if the tiara fits......

DME after hours question

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly....my DBF is flying in a day or so later after us <we are driving> and looks like he may take the red eye into MCO, possibly arriving around midnight or shortly thereafter....we will have most of his luggage anyway, he may just have a carry on...DME will still be able to pick him up at that time of night?

My Magical Surprise of a LIFETIME POST trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1936235
T-shirts, invitations and goody bags I have made for my surprise trip!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1864352
Epcot Passports Completed!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1882833
CarolinaMomOf3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #1392
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMomOf3boys View Post
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly....my DBF is flying in a day or so later after us <we are driving> and looks like he may take the red eye into MCO, possibly arriving around midnight or shortly thereafter....we will have most of his luggage anyway, he may just have a carry on...DME will still be able to pick him up at that time of night?
Sure! As long as he's on your room reservation and he has a reservation with DME; DME is available 24/7. If he does have any checked luggage, he will have to claim it himself.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #1393
CarolinaMomOf3boys
I stepped onto the grass on the other side; it wasn't any greener, just different.......A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle......I wasn't born a princess, but if the tiara fits......

thanks for the quick respsonse!

My Magical Surprise of a LIFETIME POST trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1936235
T-shirts, invitations and goody bags I have made for my surprise trip!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1864352
Epcot Passports Completed!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1882833
CarolinaMomOf3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1394
aharding
Earning My Ears

Thanks!!
aharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #1395
ZimTheMouse
Earning My Ears

I have two questions, and my apologies if they've already been asked. Kinda hard to search through 50+ pages.

Question 1:
Our Southwest Airlines flight arrives (or is supposed to arrive) to Orlando at 9:45pm. I understand DME only operates for guests arriving by 10pm. Assuming we are on-time, that's cutting it pretty close. Do I have anything to worry about? What happens if the flight is delayed and we don't land until, say 10:30pm? What happens? Are we on our own? Will we be inconveniencing other guests?

Question 2:
On departure, most of my party is flying home, but I am staying in Orlando (not on Disney property) for a conference. I would like to ride the DME to the airport to make sure they get off on their flights without problems, then take a cab to my hotel. Do I simply check their bags at the DME bag check but ask the resort to hold my bag(s) for me and then carry my bags on when we all head to the airport?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Jeff

1972 - Disneyland
'80s, '90s - WDW (Multiple Offsite, POR, CBR)
Sep '03 Port Orleans Riverside
Dec '04 - Beach Club
Jun '05 - Disneyland
Dec '11 - Coronado Springs
Feb '12 - Disneyland
Oct '12 - Art of Animation - Little Mermaid
May '13 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Feb '14 - Offsite (Buena Vista Palace) and POFQ
ZimTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: