Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #1366
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Just FYI too, me and DH were staying at Bay Lake and had a LATE flight out. We tried checking our luggage in, and they said they stopped after 1:00 pm....so we ended up lugging our own luggage to the airport, even though we checked in within the required time period (no less than 3 hours)
RAC is open from 5:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., so you can check your bags from 5:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. for flights any time that day.

You must finish the process a minimum of 3 hours before your flight departure time, but that doesn't mean you can't check your bags 5 hours, 10 hours, or even 15 hours before your flight departure. (At one time there was a maximum of 12 hours, but now it just has to be the same day.)

Considering that 1:00 p.m. is well past check-out time, I find it surprising that someone someone would still have their bags 3 hours before a late-night flight. What would you do with your bags all day? Why would someone wait until after RAC is closed?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #1367
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Just FYI too, me and DH were staying at Bay Lake and had a LATE flight out. We tried checking our luggage in, and they said they stopped after 1:00 pm....so we ended up lugging our own luggage to the airport, even though we checked in within the required time period (no less than 3 hours)
But, you can check in at any time prior to your departure.....we've been told that you can check in as early as you want even for a flight leaving at 8pm!!! They used to tell us that you had to check in no more than 12 hrs prior to departure and no less than 3 hrs. But, it would seem that the 12 hrs has been changed to 'any time more than 3 hrs prior to departure, the same day'. So, you could have checked your bags on your way out of your resort that morning.
I'm assuming that you just misunderstood how RAC works.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #1368
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I just want to clarify and make sure I'm going to do this right, haha. On my checkout day, I will:

- Check out of my resort
- Go to RAC, check in for my flight and pay for my checked bag
- Go to the parks
- Return for my designated DME time
- My bag goes to the airport without further intervention on my part?

Right? I'm flying US Air. I'll be taking my backpack (carry-on) with me on my check-out day so it's not an issue. Is there anything else I need to do?

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #1369
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
I just want to clarify and make sure I'm going to do this right, haha. On my checkout day, I will:

- Check out of my resort
- Go to the parks

Right? I'm flying US Air. I'll be taking my backpack (carry-on) with me on my check-out day so it's not an issue. Is there anything else I need to do?
IIRC last summer, we had to pay our luggage fees by phone to B.A.G.S.
They gave us a confirmation # to show that our fees were paid. Then go down to RAC to give them our bags and get our BPs.

Most times that we stay onsite, it's pre-cruise so it's not very often we go home after checking out. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #1370
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
IIRC last summer, we had to pay our luggage fees by phone to B.A.G.S.
They gave us a confirmation # to show that our fees were paid. Then go down to RAC to give them our bags and get our BPs.

Most times that we stay onsite, it's pre-cruise so it's not very often we go home after checking out. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Actually, now that I look, Mousesavers says the same thing you are. Thanks for pointing that out! Doing it by phone won't be so bad.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #1371
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:

- Check out of my resort
- Go to the parks

You basic steps are correct.

Just a few more options and thoughts...

You can go to the RAC desk at your hotel to check your bags and get your boarding passes any time after RAC opens at 5:00 a.m. You don't have to wait until after you check out from your resort room.

After you check you bags with RAC, you won't see your bags again until baggage claim at your home airport. Your bags will be transported to your airline at Orlando International in a truck in a secure, TSA-approved cage.

Instead dealing with a backpack all day, you can leave you carry-ons with bell services until your return to your resort for your DME motorcoach pick-up.

Be sure to allow enough time for all steps. For example, returning from a park to a hotel can take much longer than you might think, especially if your taking a WDW Transportation bus mid-may.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #1372
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually, now that I look, Mousesavers says the same thing you are. Thanks for pointing that out! Doing it by phone won't be so bad.
It was not difficult. You just have to allow enough time for everything and also take the time to read the instructions that they slide under your door.

Have a great time!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #1373
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
You basic steps are correct.

Just a few more options and thoughts...

You can go to the RAC desk at your hotel to check your bags and get your boarding passes any time after RAC opens at 5:00 a.m. You don't have to wait until after you check out from your resort room.

After you check you bags with RAC, you won't see your bags again until baggage claim at your home airport. Your bags will be transported to your airline at Orlando International in a truck in a secure, TSA-approved cage.

Instead dealing with a backpack all day, you can leave you carry-ons with bell services until your return to your resort for your DME motorcoach pick-up.

Be sure to allow enough time for all steps. For example, returning from a park to a hotel can take much longer than you might think, especially if your taking a WDW Transportation bus mid-may.
Thank you for all the info. My backpack is actually my day bag so I'll be keeping it with me, but it's good to know that the resort can hang onto carry-ons, in case I need to do that on any future trips.

I have a 9AM ADR on my departure day, so my plan is to check out and go to RAC before I leave for that meal. I'm glad I can do this anytime after 5AM.

I'm planning on at least 90 minutes for Disney transportation anywhere. If this means I'm early for things, well, I'd rather be early than late.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1374
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS

Ok , I cna't remember but my inlaws are using DME both ways. I booked it for them. Coming in they are staying at BWV and on the last day moving to POP C and leaving from there the next day. They got there DME package with everything in it. When I booked it I listed both BWV coming in and PC leaving. Do I need to make another ressie for leaving or will Disney know from the voucher that they are at PC last day.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #1375
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paults View Post
Ok , I cna't remember but my inlaws are using DME both ways. I booked it for them. Coming in they are staying at BWV and on the last day moving to POP C and leaving from there the next day. They got there DME package with everything in it. When I booked it I listed both BWV coming in and PC leaving. Do I need to make another ressie for leaving or will Disney know from the voucher that they are at PC last day.
Usually, I get two different packets..one for my arrival resort and then another one for my departure resort.
What does their departure voucher say???
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #1376
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Southwest

It has been awhile since I've used the magical express services. We are flying down on August 31 and I know that they will pick up our luggage coming down. Does Southwest participate in the services on the way home? Can I check them in at the hotel? I just want to confirm because last time I used the service SWA didn't participate, but were thinking about it.

Thanks!

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1377
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
It has been awhile since I've used the magical express services. We are flying down on August 31 and I know that they will pick up our luggage coming down. Does Southwest participate in the services on the way home? Can I check them in at the hotel? I just want to confirm because last time I used the service SWA didn't participate, but were thinking about it.

Thanks!
SW now fully participates in RAC. You could always tag your checked bags and have them taken to the resort regardless of your arriving airline.
It was only the departure that caused confusion. But now? SW is participating...so you can check those bags at your resort, get your boarding passes issued and go off and do your thing until it's time to report to the DME bus..if that's how you are heading back to MCO.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #1378
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

connecting flights using DME

We have never done a connecting flight. This Nov. we will have to change planes in NY (JFK). I am wondering how this will work.

Will we ck our bags in Boston as usual. Then the airline will transfer it from one plane to the other? Or are we responsible for getting our baggage at JFK, then rechecking it into the new flight? Then it will be sent from the Orlando airport to our hotel?

Thanks. ... hope this makes sense. I am really really nervous about having a stop over/changing plane flight. It is DH, myself (I'll have a manual wheelchair), and DD(9).

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1379
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesknee View Post
We have never done a connecting flight. This Nov. we will have to change planes in NY (JFK). I am wondering how this will work.

Will we ck our bags in Boston as usual. Then the airline will transfer it from one plane to the other? Or are we responsible for getting our baggage at JFK, then rechecking it into the new flight? Then it will be sent from the Orlando airport to our hotel?

Thanks. ... hope this makes sense. I am really really nervous about having a stop over/changing plane flight. It is DH, myself (I'll have a manual wheelchair), and DD(9).
Yes, when you have a connecting flight, the airlines tag your bags with both your originating flight and your final destination flight. When you arrive at JFK, the bags are unloading from your Boston flight and then loaded onto your connecting flight. You don't have to do anything.

With the yellow DME tags on your bags, your bags will be transported from the Orlando airport (MCO) to your Disney resort, and will be delivered to your room.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #1380
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
Yes, when you have a connecting flight, the airlines tag your bags with both your originating flight and your final destination flight. When you arrive at JFK, the bags are unloading from your Boston flight and then loaded onto your connecting flight. You don't have to do anything.

With the yellow DME tags on your bags, your bags will be transported from the Orlando airport (MCO) to your Disney resort, and will be delivered to your room.
Thank you so much. That rests my mind a bit. My other concerns I will address my other concerns on a different post. Thanks again!

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: