Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #1246
texasbloke
Mouseketeer

Thanks.

The only reason we are taking DME is so our luggage will delivered to our room, we will not have any carry on.

I remember when we stayed at CSR they stopped at POP 1st. I hope they do wind up on the same bus.

Thank you again.
texasbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #1247
ms.ojo
DIS Veteran

Delta question

This is the 1st time we're flying Delta AND first time w/ DME. We are doing a split stay starting at ASMo....and ending at the Boardwalk!!

Oor flights are registered w/ Disney and our ASMO reservation (pkg). We added a room only for 3 nights at the end of our stay at Boardwalk and I asked to link the reservations and the gal said there was no need.

Going to Disney I get it. We'll receive our pkg w/ yellow tags. Check our bags (w/ yellow tags) at our departing airport, and not see them again until they are delivered to our room at ASMO. At MCO we go downstairs to the DME check-in, get on our bus w/ a carry-on bag, and head to ASMo.

Near the end of our stay we have our bags transfered to Boardwalk by Disney while we are off at a park. Ret'n that afternoon to check in at Boardwalk and enjoy our last few days there.

Now...time to go. I head downstairs to RAC to check our bags (Flight leaves at noon so I need to have them checked BEFORE 9am, probably 7:30am as we get bfast) They'll print our boarding pass for us. QUESTION: Since we are Delta Amex card holders entitled to free luggage, that means I'm ok going directly to RAC and checking in the bags? No fees apply.

Now...what about DME? Do I check-in w/ them when I arrive at the Boardwalk to make our ressie for our flight home? Or do I call Disney and have them make the notation on our room only ressie at the Boardwalk? (which means they'll probably send me more yellow tags)

I'm assuming DME and RAC are both in the Boardwalk lobby area?

Thanks for the help!

June 2014 & June 2012 & FREE QS dining! Aug 2011 & (BWI) June 2010 Oct 2009 & FREE dining!!! Nov2008 & (CR) Oct 2007 Oct 2006 & FREE dining!!! Dec 2005 (POFQ), Gaylord Palms, , Univ & Hard Rock Apr 2005 & (WL) Oct 2003 Apr 2002 (ASMo) & Dolphin PLUS 5 trips offsite prior to kids
ms.ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #1248
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I would call whomever you booked BW with, and have them add your DME departure details/reservation to the resort reservation. You can do it when you get to BW, but it's really easier to do it now and then forget about it.
And yes, you will most likely get another packet with luggage tags in it, but just hold onto the return vouchers..they are all you will need. You will get a notice in your BW room the day/night before you depart that will tell you your pickup time the next day. You can also use this notice to get on the bus as well.

DME is going to pick you up right at the front of the resort. Just walk out the front doors and cross the arrival driveway over to the covered area. It's kind of right in the middle of the driveway. Be there 15 mins before your pickup time...all ready to go. The RAC counter is outside BW's main entrance. When you exit the lobby, through the front doors, go to the right, and down the walkway. You will see the RAC counter right there...about 15' from the front door.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #1249
ms.ojo
DIS Veteran

Thank you.

So as to flying Delta...and the fact bags are normally charged a fee but I have an AMex card w/ Delta so I have free luggage....how does that work?

June 2014 & June 2012 & FREE QS dining! Aug 2011 & (BWI) June 2010 Oct 2009 & FREE dining!!! Nov2008 & (CR) Oct 2007 Oct 2006 & FREE dining!!! Dec 2005 (POFQ), Gaylord Palms, , Univ & Hard Rock Apr 2005 & (WL) Oct 2003 Apr 2002 (ASMo) & Dolphin PLUS 5 trips offsite prior to kids
ms.ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #1250
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.ojo View Post
Thank you.

So as to flying Delta...and the fact bags are normally charged a fee but I have an AMex card w/ Delta so I have free luggage....how does that work?
I can't say....I've always had to call the number for BAGS and paid my baggage fee. I don't know whether or not you have to still call that number and then get a conf number that you are good to go, or if you can just show up at the RAC counter and they can see that no fees are due. I would probably ask at the RAC counter when you are there, in person. You could stop by on your way out for the day.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #1251
Mrs Grumpy
DIS Veteran

Question about RAC - I know they weigh your bags but do they also measure them. They haven't in the past but we have new suitcases this trip and they are under the allowed size but not by much. Just wondering if they checked the size there also. I am not worried about weight because with them packed we are only at 35 pounds.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #1252
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Grumpy View Post
Question about RAC - I know they weigh your bags but do they also measure them. They haven't in the past but we have new suitcases this trip and they are under the allowed size but not by much. Just wondering if they checked the size there also. I am not worried about weight because with them packed we are only at 35 pounds.
I haven't ever had a bag measured (although ours aren't close to max sizes) and haven't ever seen them measure anyone else's bag, but I would have to assume that it could happen and be prepared. I imagine the airlines would start throwing fits if BAGs was consisently delivering oversize luggage without charging the applicable fees.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #1253
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Grumpy View Post
Nope, haven't seen them measured before either. But they are pretty good at eyeballing stuff. If they think a bag is going to be oversized, they can pretty much tell by looking at it.
Just think of all the luggage they see every day...I doubt you'll have a bag that is that out of the ordinary.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #1254
mfantasia
Earning My Ears

We are using DME in our arriving flight to MCO. We will be 7 days in AKL. In our way back, we are not flying home, we are renting a car in MCO to spend a week in Miami. Can we use DME for our trip from AKL to MCO, even if really we are not catching a flight? we won't have flight information to make a reservation.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #1255
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfantasia View Post
We are using DME in our arriving flight to MCO. We will be 7 days in AKL. In our way back, we are not flying home, we are renting a car in MCO to spend a week in Miami. Can we use DME for our trip from AKL to MCO, even if really we are not catching a flight? we won't have flight information to make a reservation.
Yes, you definitely can do this. There is no requirement that you actually arrive on or leave on a flight.

But do yourself a favor. Make this reservation with DME directly by calling 866-599-0951. The cast members at DME know all the rules, including the rule that you don't need to be flying to use DME. [If you call 407-W-DISNEY, you'll likely get a cast member who doesn't know that and will tell you you aren't allowed to use DME back to the airport if you're not flying out.]

HOWEVER, wait until you are just inside 60 days before your trip to call DME. You can't have a DME reservation without having a resort reservation, and DME doesn't have access to the resort reservations database until the 60-day mark.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #1256
Pine View
Mouseketeer

Now I'm worrid. I booked the package, put in flight info and asked for DME BUT, I haven't gotten yellow tags and leave in 13 days.

Pine View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #1257
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

We're looking for low prices and we found a fairly priced inbound flight; only thing is it leaves the night before and gets to MCO at midnight on the day we check in. Here are my questions:

1 - Has anyone ever done this to save on airfare?

2 - I'm assuming the bus won't bring me to AKV at that time. I see that it starts running at 5. Is that correct?

3 - If I do wait, where's the best/most comfortable place to wait in the airport?

4 - I've never flown into MCO (we always drive), is there anything open at that time? Food, drink, etc?

5 - Will DME collect our bags or would it be better for us to just hold on to them and bring them on the bus ourselves?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1258
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
We're looking for low prices and we found a fairly priced inbound flight; only thing is it leaves the night before and gets to MCO at midnight on the day we check in. Here are my questions:

1 - Has anyone ever done this to save on airfare?
Flying in the night before can be not only a money-saver but also a way to turn the following day from a travel day to a real vacation day. I've never taken a flight that gets in at midnight, but I've taken flights that got in around 10 p.m.

Quote:
2 - I'm assuming the bus won't bring me to AKV at that time. I see that it starts running at 5. Is that correct?
Disney's Magical Express (DME) guest transportation runs 24 hours a day, based on when guests need the transportation. The late-night DME motorcoach runs can go to odd groupings of hotels, such as stopping at Grand Floridian and Port Orleans Riverside on the way to Animal Kingdom Lodge. (During busier times, the motorcoaches tend to go to resorts in the same general part of WDW.)

It's only DME's inbound baggage transfer service that's unavailable for arrivals between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. That means having to claim your own bags, which can mean spending and extra half hour or so at the airport.

Quote:
3 - If I do wait, where's the best/most comfortable place to wait in the airport?
The Hyatt that's inside the airport (part of the airport terminal) is clearly the most convenient, most comfortable option. Other hotels in the airport area might be options too, but you have to check when their shuttles run, and you have to allow time to wait for the shuttle in both directions.

Quote:
4 - I've never flown into MCO (we always drive), is there anything open at that time? Food, drink, etc?
I wouldn't expect any shops or restaurants in the airport to be open.

Quote:
5 - Will DME collect our bags or would it be better for us to just hold on to them and bring them on the bus ourselves
After 10 p.m., you must claim your own bags. You would then bring them to the DME coach with you, regardless of whether you take a late night DME motorcoach directly to WDW of if your stay at an airport hotel the first night and take a DME motorcoach during the day.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #1259
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Flying in the night before can be not only a money-saver but also a way to turn the following day from a travel day to a real vacation day. I've never taken a flight that gets in at midnight, but I've taken flights that got in around 10 p.m.

Disney's Magical Express (DME) guest transportation runs 24 hours a day, based on when guests need the transportation. The late-night DME motorcoach runs can go to odd groupings of hotels, such as stopping at Grand Floridian and Port Orleans Riverside on the way to Animal Kingdom Lodge. (During busier times, the motorcoaches tend to go to resorts in the same general part of WDW.)

It's only DME's inbound baggage transfer service that's unavailable for arrivals between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. That means having to claim your own bags, which can mean spending and extra half hour or so at the airport.

The Hyatt that's inside the airport (part of the airport terminal) is clearly the most convenient, most comfortable option. Other hotels in the airport area might be options too, but you have to check when their shuttles run, and you have to allow time to wait for the shuttle in both directions.

After 10 p.m., you must claim your own bags. You would then bring them to the DME coach with you, regardless of whether you take a late night DME motorcoach directly to WDW of if your stay at an airport hotel the first night and take a DME motorcoach during the day.
Another vote for the Hyatt! It's right inside the terminal so no shuttle to deal with. It's great for late arrivals or early departures. We had a flight that was supposed to arrive at midnight but due to severe Tstorms down the east coast, we didn't depart Philly until 12:20am! I was so glad to have a room at the Hyatt that night.
That said, we'll be arriving after 11:30 pm in Nov and we opted to have Happy Limo pick us up instead of doing ME. We really want to wake up the next am at our resort (Only 2 nts resort and 1 full park day pre cruise.) They'll track our arrival time and it will be worth the extra $ to have a driver ready for us when we arrive. I know I won't want to deal with waiting for other flights that will be arriving shortly or having to stop at other resorts and it was still less $ than if we had taken the earlier, more expensive flight.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #1260
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post

Thank you!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: