Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #1051
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patabel View Post
Since we have a very early flight on our return, we will be staying at the airport Hyatt overnight. How late can we arrange to return to the airport without flight information? (or can we?) We would like to go to the airport around 10:00 pm since we have dinner reservations in the MK that evening. Can this be done???
Thanks!
Probably not. Some posters (incorrectly) say DME operates 24/7. DME operates to accommodate flight schedules. They'll run as late as it takes to pickup the last passenger and as early as it takes to transport the first passenger. DME picks up 3 hours before your flight (4 hours for an international flight).

I checked, the last domestic flight tonight is a Spirit flight to FLL. It leaves at 9:38 which suggests a DME pickup time of 6:30. The last international flight is a midnight flight to Toronto, it leaves at midnight which suggests a 8p pickup. I don't know if DME is smart enough to check your home address and realize your not taking the midnight flight to Canada.

You'll either have to take a car service/taxi to MCO. Alternately stay at a Disney value resort and take DME the next morning.

edited to add It's possible a DME CM (on the phone) will put you down for a 10p pickup. My concern would be getting the DME packet on your door with a much earlier pickup time. I don't think DME will run a bus/van just for your family.

Last edited by Lewisc; 01-22-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #1052
Patabel

DIS Veteran
My family considers me "pathetic" but really I'm more of a constant lurker

Thanks, Lewisc! Your answer is what I was thinking and hoping was wrong! I'll just make other arrangements.

First Trip to WDW: 1971!
Other trips: I've been so fortunate - too many to count.
Patabel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1053
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since we have a very early flight on our return, we will be staying at the airport Hyatt overnight. How late can we arrange to return to the airport without flight information? (or can we?) We would like to go to the airport around 10:00 pm since we have dinner reservations in the MK that evening. Can this be done???
Thanks!
I'd hire a one way car/van service such as Happy Limo, FL Tours, etc.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #1054
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Thanks!
The only way you'll really know is if you call Disney's Magical Express (DME) Guest Services at 1-866-599-0951.

Back in 2005, the year that DME started, I had no trouble making a reservation for a 10:00 p.m. Magical Express pickup.

I told the DME Guest Services agent that my wife and I would be at a F&W Festival dinner event on our check-out day, and that we would be be staying at the Orlando Airport Hyatt that night before flying out early the following morning. In other words, I told the agent the truth. I didn't try to provide "fake flight information."

The agent made the reservation for 10:00 p.m. She warned me not to miss the pickup. There would not be a later DME pickup from our resort that night. If we missed it, we would be on our own.

Subsequently, I changed our room reservations and our flights. This eliminated our stay at the Hyatt and our need for a late DME trip to the airport. So I can't tell you how it worked out.

Keep in mind that DME coaches go from WDW to MCO in the late evening because guests arrive on late flights and need to be taken to WDW. Normally, these late coaches are empty on their way to MCO because outbound flights from MCO don't resume until early the next morning.

In 2005, DME was willing to put us on one of these late coaches; we might have been the only passengers on the coach if we had gone ahead with it. Are they still willing to do so in 2010? Maybe. Maybe not. A phone call will answer that question.

Then please let us know what they tell you.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #1055
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

I don't think you'll really know unless DME lets you make a 10p reservation and DME actually picks you up at 10p I suspect your 10p pickup time will wind up being "adjusted" when you get your confirmation.

DME has no way of knowing if they'll be a late drop off at your resort. DME has no way of knowing if they'll be a drop off at a specific time (10p). They don't know if a late bus will be going back to MCO or will be done for the night. Very few flights land after 11p.

I guess the PP could call and try to make a 10p reservation. They'll have time to book a car service if they wind up being scheduled on an earlier bus. I guess Disney would wind up paying for a taxi if the guest gets confirmation of a 10p bus and a bus doesn't arrive.

edited to add by confirmation I mean the letter that's under your door (put on a doorknob?) a day or two before you checkout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
The only way you'll really know is if you call Disney's Magical Express (DME) Guest Services at 1-866-599-0951.

Back in 2005, the year that DME started, I had no trouble making a reservation for a 10:00 p.m. Magical Express pickup.

Keep in mind that DME coaches go from WDW to MCO in the late evening because guests arrive on late flights and need to be taken to WDW. Normally, these late coaches are empty on their way to MCO because outbound flights from MCO don't resume until early the next morning.

In 2005, DME was willing to put us on one of these late coaches; we might have been the only passengers on the coach if we had gone ahead with it. Are they still willing to do so in 2010? Maybe. Maybe not. A phone call will answer that question.

Then please let us know what they tell you.

Last edited by Lewisc; 01-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #1056
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I don't think you'll really know unless DME lets you make a 10p reservation and DME actually picks you up at 10p I suspect your 10p pickup time will wind up being "adjusted" when you get your confirmation.
Yes. I would expect that a request for a DME reservation based on a specific pickup time could be adjusted 15 minutes either way to coordinate with other pickups, just like a DME reservation based on a flight time (which is seldom exactly 3 hours before scheduled flight departure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
DME has no way of knowing if they'll be a late drop off at your resort. DME has no way of knowing if they'll be a drop off at a specific time (10p). They don't know if a late bus will be going back to MCO or will be done for the night. Very few flights land after 11p.
DME pickups have nothing to do with DME drop-offs. A DME coach usually drops off at several resorts in what we could call "inbound mode." Then, when it's empty, the coach changes to "outbound mode" and usually picks up guests at several resorts to return to the airport, where, once empty, it will then change back to "inbound mode." Presumably, the drivers get breaks in-between "modes." At some point, the coach is parked for the night at the Mears facility. But some coaches will continue to be dispatched to MCO until the final DME guest has arrived and checked in to DME.

What I tried to write is that DME coaches (usually empty) go from WDW to MCO at night to pick up arriving passengers headed to WDW.

DME runs almost around the clock, to the extent that there are guests either arriving at or departing from MCO. The DME fleet is likely to be idle in the hours between dropping the last guests after the final arrivals at MCO and around four hours before the earliest departures.

Again, I don't know if DME will still make reservations for a resort pickup at 10:00 p.m. as they did in 2005. A phone call should answer that question.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 01-24-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #1057
Chaosfilms
Earning My Ears

Question A quick question about DME

Looking through the different posts I don't see this question:

We're Cruising in December (yes, I know it's a ways off) and we're flying in from Los Angeles a day early; Thursday red eye, arriving Friday morning MCO. We're coming in early in case of any delays, weather, etc. We're thinking of staying at PO Riverside for Friday night, then off to the MAGIC on Saturday.

If we use the DME, we board in L.A. and do the bags make it to our room on Friday only to be picked up again on Friday Night/Saturday and taken to the ship? Or do they just go to the ship? Is there a chance our bags might get lost in the quick turnaround?

Has anyone ever taken the DME from one the resort hotels to the ship?

Last, When we get off the ship, using the DME, they'll take the bags from the ship and we'll see them again in L.A., right?

Thanks for any advice, thoughts, etc.

Steve
Chaosfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #1058
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosfilms View Post
Looking through the different posts I don't see this question:

We're Cruising in December (yes, I know it's a ways off) and we're flying in from Los Angeles a day early; Thursday red eye, arriving Friday morning MCO. We're coming in early in case of any delays, weather, etc. We're thinking of staying at PO Riverside for Friday night, then off to the MAGIC on Saturday.

If we use the DME, we board in L.A. and do the bags make it to our room on Friday only to be picked up again on Friday Night/Saturday and taken to the ship? Or do they just go to the ship? Is there a chance our bags might get lost in the quick turnaround?

Has anyone ever taken the DME from one the resort hotels to the ship?

Last, When we get off the ship, using the DME, they'll take the bags from the ship and we'll see them again in L.A., right?

Thanks for any advice, thoughts, etc.

Steve
DME doesn't go to port..only between MCO and the Disney resorts. If you take DME to POR that first night, you will have to have other transport to the ship the next day. Now...I'm going to assume that you have probably booked DCL transportation from POR. It is a bus as well. I can't say how luggage is serviced from POR to the ship. You may be better off asking on the Cruise board.
When you get off the ship, you will most likely be taking the bus back to MCO..again, that will be a DCL bus, not DME. I know that some airlines allow you to check your bags right on the ship, similar to RAC at the resorts.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #1059
Chaosfilms
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info.

Disney will handle luggage and transportation from when you board your flight to the ship and back, I just didn't know if they would also go to WDW, if you arrive early. Haven't booked transportation yet, as we're not sure what we're going to end up doing, but I do know that we're probably going to want everything handled, so we don't have to carry, rent or deal with luggage or transportation.

I'll try the cruise boards. Thanks again.
Chaosfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #1060
colwell1
Earning My Ears

I am not sure if this has been answered yet. Our plan is scheduled to land at MCO at 9:45 pm and due to the 10 pm cut off for baggage pick up service we have decided to get our own luggage. My question is since it is going to take longer to DME because of stopping to get our checked luggage, how long while the DME be pickup passengers? We will need to rush to the check in counter?
colwell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #1061
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colwell1 View Post
I am not sure if this has been answered yet. Our plan is scheduled to land at MCO at 9:45 pm and due to the 10 pm cut off for baggage pick up service we have decided to get our own luggage. My question is since it is going to take longer to DME because of stopping to get our checked luggage, how long while the DME be pickup passengers? We will need to rush to the check in counter?
I believe they will still take guests to their resort after 10pm, the only difference is that they don't get your luggage for you and deliver it to your resort.
After 10pm, you get your luggage and take it to the ME check in. I would ask about a 945 pm arrival. I would think unless your flight is delayed, you should still qualify for luggage service. Unless you really prefer to get your own bags.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 AM   #1062
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Stopping to get your luggage (which is a good idea at that time of day/night) will only add about 15 mins to your time. In any case, DME stops retrieving luggage at 10pm, not people. They will get guests to their resorts 24/7. It may take a bit longer later at night simply because there are fewer people coming in and they wait a bit longer at the bus stop at MCO.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #1063
S <3 M
Planning my fairytale

Is the Magic Express a 24 hours service?
S <3 M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #1064
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S <3 M View Post
Is the Magic Express a 24 hours service?
The buses run 24/7...it doesn't matter when you get to MCO, there will be transportation to your resort for you. BUT....luggage delivery service stops at 10pm, and doesn't resume until around 7am. If you arrive between those times, you shouldn't tag your checked bags..otherwise, they will remain at MCO until the next morning. Keep them untagged and get them yourself at baggage claim. Then bring them to the bus with you.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #1065
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

You know (no, but you will in a minute ), I think the PP should tag their bags anyway - assuming they want Magical Express to deliver their luggage if the plane lands on time.

If they get to the gate at 9:45, DME will automatically transport their checked luggage. If they arrive later than 10, the airport's ramp agents will automatically send all luggage from that flight directly to baggage claim - where the PP can pick it up, even if it's been yellow-tagged.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: