Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #1036
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykb03 View Post
I have an odd question about taking DME. I've scanned through the topic and haven't seen anything quite like my situation (but then again, maybe that's b/c my head already exploded reading the millions of posts about it...)

I'm flying in to MCO on JetBlue, but will be subsequently renting a car and heading to Gainesville for 3 days (final exams for an online program at UF, yuck). I'll be celebrating said finals being over with a trip to WDW (yay)!! The plan is to return the rental car at MCO when we return to Orlando, and then shuttle to WDW. I'm already planning to book DME from the hotel (BLT villas) back to MCO to return home on JetBlue (same day travel)... but in my ideal world, I'd like to take DME from MCO the day I am returning the rental car as well. However, my inbound flight would not be on the same day that I would want to take DME (did I lose you yet?). Does anyone know if it is at all possible to do this? Is it a requirement to have a same-day flight to take DME? I realize it's a stretch and that's probably why I haven't been able to find my answer yet, but thought some people who might stay off-property once in awhile might have encountered this sort of dilemma. Thanks for any insight!
Absolutely not a problem!!! The only requirement to use DME is that you have a Disney Resort reservation and that you book DME in advance. They don't care HOW you arrive at MCO!! The simplest way to do it is to book DME for your arrival, but tell them you don't have your inbound flight information yet. You will then get a boarding pass and a yellow tag, (you won't be able to use the yellow tag.) If you have time, drive your car over to your Disney resort and dump your bags, then return the car to MCO, then walk over to the DME Welcome center and board your bus. If you don't want to drive all the way to Disney then back to the airport, then just drive to MCO, drop your car, carry your bags to DME Welcome Center and board your bus, your bags will travel with you to the resort.

One other option depending on who you rent from, you could also rent from Alamo or National and check on dropping your car at either the Car Care Center or the Dolphin right on Disney property. It usually doesn't cost any more to drop at one of those locations and will save you the DME ride.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #1037
goofykb03
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
Absolutely not a problem!!! The only requirement to use DME is that you have a Disney Resort reservation and that you book DME in advance. They don't care HOW you arrive at MCO!! The simplest way to do it is to book DME for your arrival, but tell them you don't have your inbound flight information yet. You will then get a boarding pass and a yellow tag, (you won't be able to use the yellow tag.) If you have time, drive your car over to your Disney resort and dump your bags, then return the car to MCO, then walk over to the DME Welcome center and board your bus. If you don't want to drive all the way to Disney then back to the airport, then just drive to MCO, drop your car, carry your bags to DME Welcome Center and board your bus, your bags will travel with you to the resort.

One other option depending on who you rent from, you could also rent from Alamo or National and check on dropping your car at either the Car Care Center or the Dolphin right on Disney property. It usually doesn't cost any more to drop at one of those locations and will save you the DME ride.

That is great and very helpful, thank you! I did consider dropping off at one of the rental places on property and might still do that, but wanted to weigh all the options to see if they were feasible or not. I think the "participating airlines" requirement was throwing me off. I know JetBlue participates, but thought maybe they'd be checking up on my flights in both directions.
May 1985 Fort Wilderness Cabins May 1988 Polynesian August 1989 Offsite/Carribean Beach August 1991 Disney Inn/Port Orleans/Beach Club July 1992 Dixie Landings November 1993 Port Orleans/Contemporary August 1994 Dixie Landings/Wilderness Lodge December 1995/January 1996 Offsite August 1996 Old Key West/Beach Club/Boardwalk January 1998 Disneyland Offsite July 1998 Coronado Springs December 1999/January 2000 Offsite July 2003 Offsite December 2004/January 2005 All Star Music September 2006 Disneyland Offsite October 2008 Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House/Boardwalk Villas/Beach Club Villas July 2010 Bay Lake Tower December 2010 Saratoga Springs June 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village October 2013 Bay Lake Tower May 2014 Yacht Club August 2014 Port Orleans Riverside
goofykb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #1038
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykb03 View Post
That is great and very helpful, thank you! I did consider dropping off at one of the rental places on property and might still do that, but wanted to weigh all the options to see if they were feasible or not. I think the "participating airlines" requirement was throwing me off. I know JetBlue participates, but thought maybe they'd be checking up on my flights in both directions.
Nope, nobody is checking up on anything. You can arrive at MCO on a yak and still be able to use DME to get to your resort..no need to arrive, by plane, the same day your resort reservation starts.
As already suggested, head to BLT and drop off your bags, then return the car at MCO, and head to the DME counter. It won't be an issue.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #1039
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Just want to doublecheck that I am reading this right...I can use ME even if I don't book air through WDW. I can just book a resort/tix. package and still use ME.
In order to check-in at the resort for my flight home I must use a particpating airline mentioned in post one.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #1040
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Just want to doublecheck that I am reading this right...I can use ME even if I don't book air through WDW. I can just book a resort/tix. package and still use ME.
You don't even need to book a package. Anyone on a room reservation of any kind (including DVC) at a Disney-operated WDW resort hotel is entitled to inbound DME transportation and luggage service, as well as outbound DME transportation.

Quote:
In order to check-in at the resort for my flight home I must use a particpating airline mentioned in post one.
To use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) to obtain your boarding passes and to check your luggage through to your final destination, you must have a domestic destination and you must fly on an airline that's on RAC's list.

However, you can usually still get boarding passes in your resort lobby (not from RAC) if your airline is not on the list. Also, you can still get outbound DME transportation, but the driver will put your bags into the DME coach's luggage hold and return them to you at the airport (in which case a tip is customary).
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #1041
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
You don't even need to book a package. Anyone on a room reservation of any kind (including DVC) at a Disney-operated WDW resort hotel is entitled to inbound DME transportation and luggage service, as well as outbound DME transportation.

To use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) to obtain your boarding passes and to check your luggage through to your final destination, you must have a domestic destination and you must fly on an airline that's on RAC's list.

However, you can usually still get boarding passes in your resort lobby (not from RAC) if your airline is not on the list. Also, you can still get outbound DME transportation, but the driver will put your bags into the DME coach's luggage hold and return them to you at the airport (in which case a tip is customary).
Thank you! I am helping a friend book their 1st trip to WDW and she does not want to be bothered with renting a car. We on the other hand always book a car but we have 3 kids, she only has 1, so I'm just making sure I am giving her the correct info.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #1042
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Thank you! I am helping a friend book their 1st trip to WDW and she does not want to be bothered with renting a car. We on the other hand always book a car but we have 3 kids, she only has 1, so I'm just making sure I am giving her the correct info.
As noted often in this thread, the other key point is that your friend needs to make advance reservations for DME.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #1043
SwooshICE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Nope, nobody is checking up on anything. You can arrive at MCO on a yak and still be able to use DME to get to your resort..no need to arrive, by plane, the same day your resort reservation starts.
As already suggested, head to BLT and drop off your bags, then return the car at MCO, and head to the DME counter. It won't be an issue.
How about for departure?

I will be flying to MCO on May 2nd and flying out of MCO May 9th. BUT I would like to take ME back to MCO on May 8th to pickup a car rental and use it for a day. I will not be using ME again on May 9th since I will be able to drive with the rental to the airport.

In essense I am still only using ME for roundtrip, but the outbound ME day would be a day earlier than my actual departure date.

Would this be a problem? The reason why I'd like to pick up the rental at the airport is because CCC is closed at the time I wish to do the rental pickup.

Sorry if this has already been answered. Thanks!
SwooshICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #1044
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwooshICE View Post
How about for departure?

I will be flying to MCO on May 2nd and flying out of MCO May 9th. BUT I would like to take ME back to MCO on May 8th to pickup a car rental and use it for a day. I will not be using ME again on May 9th since I will be able to drive with the rental to the airport.

In essense I am still only using ME for roundtrip, but the outbound ME day would be a day earlier than my actual departure date.

Would this be a problem? The reason why I'd like to pick up the rental at the airport is because CCC is closed at the time I wish to do the rental pickup.

Sorry if this has already been answered. Thanks!
You can do that. You would just have to stop at the front desk of your resort and tell them you need to book your return to MCO a day earlier. But, be sure you check out the car rental options close to WDW itself. I usually get a pretty good deal at the Dolphin through Alamo/National. And Budget is over at the Doubletree in DTD..they have shuttle service, so can pick you up and get you to their office.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #1045
SwooshICE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
You can do that. You would just have to stop at the front desk of your resort and tell them you need to book your return to MCO a day earlier. But, be sure you check out the car rental options close to WDW itself. I usually get a pretty good deal at the Dolphin through Alamo/National. And Budget is over at the Doubletree in DTD..they have shuttle service, so can pick you up and get you to their office.
Great Thanks! Unfortunately I'd like to pick up the car at night at around 7pm. I believe all other locations are closed at that time. Airport is the only one that runs till midnight.
SwooshICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #1046
applegirlrn
Earning My Ears

DME and Bell Hop Service

We are going to Disney this Fall and will be flying into MCO. This will be the first time flying for my whole family. My question is once I make reservations for DME and put the tags on my baggage to be picked up by Disney, if we decide to go to one of the parks once we get settled into our room if we are not there will the bell service put our bags in our room for us if we are not in there or will we need to check with bell service once we get back to the hotel for one of the parks? Please advise. I am extremely nervous about my luggage.
applegirlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #1047
yellownovawife
Was Belle on the Global Girls Team and a Great Teamleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by applegirlrn View Post
We are going to Disney this Fall and will be flying into MCO. This will be the first time flying for my whole family. My question is once I make reservations for DME and put the tags on my baggage to be picked up by Disney, if we decide to go to one of the parks once we get settled into our room if we are not there will the bell service put our bags in our room for us if we are not in there or will we need to check with bell service once we get back to the hotel for one of the parks? Please advise. I am extremely nervous about my luggage.
Yes - they bring it right o your room whether you are there o not. Also - you may not be able to settle into your room. If it is not ready yet you may just pick up your keys and then go to the parks. Basically - your luggage mey get to the room before youd do. Have a great trip!
1998 - land & sea -Contemporary and Disney Magic
2002 - WDW - off property - DD#2's 1st trip
2003 - WDW - one day only (in the middle of a cruise)
2007 - WDW -Sheraton Vistana - 4 days-Disney Wonder - 4 nights-ASMo - 1 night

2010 - WDW-BWV 7 nights
me - the happy planner DH - along for the ride DD15 DD10 our puppy, DISNEY

yellownovawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #1048
irhussa
Earning My Ears

Very interesting post, things to bear in mind if I ever had to travel in the States and to Florida.
irhussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #1049
HappyCamperToo
Fish gotta fly

I can confirm Southwest is currently "participating" at Pop. We had someone at home check us in on-line exactly 24 hours before flight time to ensure "A" boarding, then Pop printed the boarding passes and left them on our door on check-out day, w/o our even asking.

I can also add that our flight landed at 7:30 p.m., we had scooter trouble at the airport (ugh) so didn't get to check into Pop until 9:30 p.m., and our luggage didn't arrive until 1:30 a.m.! (Supposed to be 3 hours after you check in.) We'd packed pajamas in a carry-on, but forgot about the contact solution. I really wished we'd claimed the bags ourselves, at least the one with my contact lens solution in it!
HappyCamperToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #1050
Patabel

DIS Veteran
My family considers me "pathetic" but really I'm more of a constant lurker

Question return DME without flight info

Since we have a very early flight on our return, we will be staying at the airport Hyatt overnight. How late can we arrange to return to the airport without flight information? (or can we?) We would like to go to the airport around 10:00 pm since we have dinner reservations in the MK that evening. Can this be done???
Thanks!

First Trip to WDW: 1971!
Other trips: I've been so fortunate - too many to count.
Patabel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: