Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #1021
Emcg
Disney, You gotta love it!

Checking bags at RAC

We are going to WDW in September so I'm sure all the bugs will be worked out with Southwest by then. We are staying at the POP. I use ME and now that we can check our bags at the hotel it will be great! I have one question about it, I know if we have a 12:00PM flight we have to get the 9AM buss. What would be a good time to get in line to check in the bags? 8AM, 7AM? I don't know how long lines are for this or how fast they move. I know how slow they move at the airport.
I just want to get an idea to plan ahead.
Thanks
Emcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #1022
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcg View Post
We are going to WDW in September so I'm sure all the bugs will be worked out with Southwest by then. We are staying at the POP. I use ME and now that we can check our bags at the hotel it will be great! I have one question about it, I know if we have a 12:00PM flight we have to get the 9AM buss. What would be a good time to get in line to check in the bags? 8AM, 7AM? I don't know how long lines are for this or how fast they move. I know how slow they move at the airport.
I just want to get an idea to plan ahead.
Thanks
I checked my bag at Pop around 830-845 before my parents picked us up for breakfast. There was no one else in line. I'd say check your bags around 7-730, then sit down to breakfast.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #1023
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I like to get my bags checked as early as humanly possible...usually before 7am, but that's me. I think I'm the only one who obsesses over that. The line can get a bit long at times...depending on time of year and the day of the week. But I would certainly recommend getting it done by 8am.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #1024
Emcg
Disney, You gotta love it!

Thanks. I also like to get that stuff out of the way so I can relax.
September seems so far away. Can't wait.
Emcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #1025
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Does anyone know the current status of Southwest as a "Participating Airline"? Are they still just in a test at POP and the All Stars, or have they started everywhere? (We will be at WL)
TIA!

Last edited by Piglets Mommy; 11-18-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos
Piglets Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #1026
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets Mommy View Post
Does anyone know the current status of Southwest as a "Participating Airline"? Are they still just in a test at POP and the All Stars, or have they started everywhere? (We will be at WL)
TIA!
Nope, only at the values...but hopefully that will change as time goes by.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #1027
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
My fingers are crossed! Something tells me it won't happen in the next 27 days, but one can dream, right!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #1028
HappyCamperToo
Fish gotta fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets Mommy View Post
but one can dream, right!
HappyCamperToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #1029
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you heard if they plan to include DCL too?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #1030
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Have you heard if they plan to include DCL too?
No idea as of now...but it would be nice, wouldn't it? I wish they would include Sanford International as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #1031
lllGurulll
Going to the World again!!!

Quote:
How long has Southwest been in this "test mode" then? We are coming in June 2010. Being it is just me and 2 children, I hate the thought of having to drag in and check 4 bags on our checkout date.

Also, how exactly will checkout work for me as our departing flight would be around 4:30pm.
lllGurulll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #1032
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllGurulll View Post
How long has Southwest been in this "test mode" then? We are coming in June 2010. Being it is just me and 2 children, I hate the thought of having to drag in and check 4 bags on our checkout date.

Also, how exactly will checkout work for me as our departing flight would be around 4:30pm.
They've been in 'test mode' for quite awhile now...but that was only at POP. Then, they added the other values, so the addition of the other resorts shouldn't be too far behind, but who knows.
This is the problem with flying with SW. We tend to take advantage of the 'two free checked bags'. We pack more than we really need to, then stress over lugging them around. And many people fly SW solely for those two free bags...especially if they can get a comparative fare.

If your flight leaves MCO at 4:30, you will be given a pickup time of about 1:30ish. Plan on being at your resort about 30-45 mins before that time if you have to retrieve any bags from Bell Services/Luggage Assistence. Be out at the bus stop 15 mins before that pickup time.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #1033
lllGurulll
Going to the World again!!!

Quote:
They've been in 'test mode' for quite awhile now...but that was only at POP. Then, they added the other values, so the addition of the other resorts shouldn't be too far behind, but who knows.
This is the problem with flying with SW. We tend to take advantage of the 'two free checked bags'. We pack more than we really need to, then stress over lugging them around. And many people fly SW solely for those two free bags...especially if they can get a comparative fare.

If your flight leaves MCO at 4:30, you will be given a pickup time of about 1:30ish. Plan on being at your resort about 30-45 mins before that time if you have to retrieve any bags from Bell Services/Luggage Assistence. Be out at the bus stop 15 mins before that pickup time.
Sounds perfect then. We are using our last morning to go to AK and ride EE and Dino only. Should be able to easily be back at Pop by 12ish.

the only thing I really worry about is getting all the luggage checked in at the front desk. Not real fond of leaving my laptop and other electronics there.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #1034
HappyCamperToo
Fish gotta fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllGurulll View Post
Not real fond of leaving my laptop and other electronics there.
Another option would be to take them with you to the park, and leave them in a self-lock locker, outside the entrance, not far from the bus stops, I think.
HappyCamperToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #1035
goofykb03
Mouseketeer

DME - do you have to use it the same day as your inbound flight to MCO?

I have an odd question about taking DME. I've scanned through the topic and haven't seen anything quite like my situation (but then again, maybe that's b/c my head already exploded reading the millions of posts about it...)

I'm flying in to MCO on JetBlue, but will be subsequently renting a car and heading to Gainesville for 3 days (final exams for an online program at UF, yuck). I'll be celebrating said finals being over with a trip to WDW (yay)!! The plan is to return the rental car at MCO when we return to Orlando, and then shuttle to WDW. I'm already planning to book DME from the hotel (BLT villas) back to MCO to return home on JetBlue (same day travel)... but in my ideal world, I'd like to take DME from MCO the day I am returning the rental car as well. However, my inbound flight would not be on the same day that I would want to take DME (did I lose you yet?). Does anyone know if it is at all possible to do this? Is it a requirement to have a same-day flight to take DME? I realize it's a stretch and that's probably why I haven't been able to find my answer yet, but thought some people who might stay off-property once in awhile might have encountered this sort of dilemma. Thanks for any insight!
May 1985 Fort Wilderness Cabins May 1988 Polynesian August 1989 Offsite/Carribean Beach August 1991 Disney Inn/Port Orleans/Beach Club July 1992 Dixie Landings November 1993 Port Orleans/Contemporary August 1994 Dixie Landings/Wilderness Lodge December 1995/January 1996 Offsite August 1996 Old Key West/Beach Club/Boardwalk January 1998 Disneyland Offsite July 1998 Coronado Springs December 1999/January 2000 Offsite July 2003 Offsite December 2004/January 2005 All Star Music September 2006 Disneyland Offsite October 2008 Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House/Boardwalk Villas/Beach Club Villas July 2010 Bay Lake Tower December 2010 Saratoga Springs June 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village October 2013 Bay Lake Tower May 2014 Yacht Club August 2014 Port Orleans Riverside
goofykb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: