Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #976
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
When you check your bags for the flight home, do you tip the RAC person? Is there usually a long line in the morning for RAC? TIA!
Yes, a tip would be appropriate. RAC is exactly like curbside check-in at the airport. If you typically tip a curbside check-in guy, then you should tip the RAC guy.

There can be a long line. It just depends on how many people are using the service at that time. Just like at curbside at the airport.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #977
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
Yes, a tip would be appropriate. RAC is exactly like curbside check-in at the airport. If you typically tip a curbside check-in guy, then you should tip the RAC guy.

There can be a long line. It just depends on how many people are using the service at that time. Just like at curbside at the airport.
thank you! I figured a tip was appropriate for this, but I wasn't sure.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #978
Kricketnp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Nope. Not at all. No worries!

The person from your party who checks-in at the DME counter just needs photo ID.
Ah, thank you so much for your reply! That is certainly a weight lifted off my shoulders...didn't want to get to Orlando and start our trip off on a bad foot because we can't get to Pop!

July 2014: POR August 2011: WL August 2010: Bonnet Creek August 2009: Pop August 2007: Saratoga May 2006: Pop June 2002: Coronado + 14 OP
Kricketnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #979
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

expected travel time to CR

I haven't seen this question answered here. What is the expected travel times between the airport and CR on ME if we are arriving in the morning around 9:30 am? I am trying to decide between using DME and the usual limo service we use when traveling to Orlando parks. Thanks

Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #980
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
I haven't seen this question answered here. What is the expected travel times between the airport and CR on ME if we are arriving in the morning around 9:30 am? I am trying to decide between using DME and the usual limo service we use when traveling to Orlando parks. Thanks

The average time (for any resort) on DME from airplane exit to resort drop-off is 70 minutes. This is comparable with the amount of time it takes to use a car service including claiming your luggage at baggage claim.

Since the times are roughly comparable, I always advise people to NOT choose on time, but rather on the level of service you want and how much you are willing to spend on it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #981
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration. I guess it now depends on whether my usual limo driver goes up on his rates.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #982
sjbarnet
Earning My Ears

I see where you say the average time is 70 minutes. I am arriving Saturday, August 29th at 4:30 going to okw. On another forum I was told to plan at the minimum 90 minutes to arrive at okw. One person said she sat on the bus for almost an hour before it left.

The only reason I am trying to figure this out is I have an ADR for 7:40 at MK and I want to know if I should cancel it or not.

Any comments?

Thanks!

sjbarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #983
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbarnet View Post
I see where you say the average time is 70 minutes. I am arriving Saturday, August 29th at 4:30 going to okw. On another forum I was told to plan at the minimum 90 minutes to arrive at okw. One person said she sat on the bus for almost an hour before it left.

The only reason I am trying to figure this out is I have an ADR for 7:40 at MK and I want to know if I should cancel it or not.

Any comments?

Thanks!
That average time is from airplane exit to resort drop-off, not landing to resort drop-off. COuld there be 10 minutes from landing to airplane exit? Sure!

But I strongly disagree with someone saying it will take a MINIMUM of 90 minutes to get to OKW. My three DME times, from airplane exit to resort drop-off, were 63 minutes, 56 minutes and 57 minutes. The 56-minute trip was to Port Orleans French Quarter ... we were the first stop. Had anyone been going to OKW at around that same time, I'll venture that they would have been assigned to our bus, based on two facts: our bus had only about a dozen people on it, and in order to get to POFQ from the airport you pass right by the OKW main entrance. In other words, I know for a fact it is possible to get to OKW via DME in much less than that person's supposed MINIMUM of 90 minutes, because if an OKW person had been on my bus it would've been something like 53 or 54 minutes for them!

As for the person who said she sat on a bus for almost an hour ... that person was very unlucky. That is not typical. In fact, it's against DME policy/procedure, whoch states that a bus must leave the airport within 20-30 minutes of the first guest boarding the bus. During two of my three DME rides, our bus had only about a dozen guests on it.

As to your 7:40 p.m. ADR in Magic Kingdom. IF your flight lands on-time at 4:30 p.m., let's be frisky and call it 90 minutes 'til you get to OKW via DME. It's now 6 p.m. Let's say 15 minutes to check-in, then another 10 minutes to get to your room and all that. So it's 6:55 p.m. Then it's 7 p.m. 'til you're at the bus stop. Let's say you just missed the MK bus and have to wait 20 minutes 'til the next one, so you're on the bus by 7:20 p.m. and you're at MK by 7:35 p.m. Walk to the entrance and go through bag check and then go through the turnstile and it's 7:40 p.m. ... but you still have to walk to wherever you're going.

That's a little too tight for me. One way to save time would be at the resort itself. Did you book a Disney Dining Plan package? If you didn't, then you don't need to check-in since you won't need to get your DDP credits. Did you book a package that includes park tickets? If you didn't, you don't need to check-in before going to the park. But let's say you DO need to check-in first. OK. But if you want to shave off some time, you don't need to go to your room ... you can leave your carry-ons with Bell Services, and ask them to deliver the carry-ons along with your DME bags when they arrive at the resort. This can shave some time off, especially due to the sheer size of OKW (that is, eliminating the time it will take to get to your room, and then from there to get to a bus stop).

I can only speak to my personality, but I would be antsy all day, even at my home airport, with concern about making my ADR on-time. To me, I just can't start vacaiton that way. I couldn't start feeling like I'm in a rush, like at the start of a race. But that's just me. Me personally, I'd skip the ADR, walk up Main Street, get a hot dog at Casey's and walk out towards the Hub and grab a bench and sit and eat and stare at the Castle and possibly wait for Wishes, or just enjoy the feel of Magic Kingdom. But that's just me.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #984
mamasha
Mouseketeer

i thought that i read some place that you do not check in anymore...just go directly to bus lines
Quote:
You need to make a reservation for Disney's Magical Express. If you booked the trip yourself, call 1-407-W-DISNEY and give them your Disney reservation number and tell them you need to add a Disney's Magical Express reservation.

When you get dropped off at the airport, proceed with your luggage to the Disney Welcome Center, where you'll have to check-in. They'll tell you what line to get in, and you'll soon board your Disney's Magical Express bus.

DME is free, but it isn't automatic ... you need to make that reservation.
mamasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #985
MarkinNM
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbarnet View Post

Any comments?

Thanks!
When I was booking our arrival day ADR, I was told to plan 3 hours between landing to the arrival at the ADR, to be safe.......This was by a CM......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasha View Post
i thought that i read some place that you do not check in anymore...just go directly to bus lines
Again when calling DME as my departure times were wrong on the vouchers, I was told to "check-in at the DME welcome center before heading out to the busses".............
MarkinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #986
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasha View Post
At times, there have been CMs with hand-held devices checking people in more towards the bus queue area,just beyond the 'traditional" DME counter queue. AT TIMES. Not everyone, and not all the time.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #987
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Any news yet on whether or not SW's RAC trial at POP went OK??? Wondering if they are planning on expanding to any other resorts in the future...

TIA!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #988
pinkerbell
FREE DDP 06, 07, 08, 09 & 10!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Any news yet on whether or not SW's RAC trial at POP went OK??? Wondering if they are planning on expanding to any other resorts in the future...

TIA!
I just got off the phoe with a friend who returned from POP on Sunday - he used it - and it worked well on the customer end - HE LOVED IT!
I was hoping it would be up for use by now as we leave in 23 DAYS!

Anyone kow when it might start for the rest of us...
Summer 87 Magic Kingdom College Program, 4 93, 4 94 and 3 95, 3 & 10 96, 10 98, 5 99, 10 01, 10 02, 10 04 & 10 05 off property 5 05 and 10 06 ASSports 9 07, 9 08 & 9 09 ASMo, POR 2 10, POP 4 10 and ASMo 9 10, ASMo 9 11, Dolphin 2 12, POP 4 12, AoA 9 12, Dolphin 1 13, POP 4 13 Dolphin 1 14 POP 4 14
pinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #989
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I'm putting in our DME reservation online and I can't remember which flight number for the in-coming flight to Orlando I should use. Do I put the flight number from the originating airport SMF or from the last flight segment from DEN coming in Orlando? I'm thinking we use the flight number from DEN to MCO right?

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #990
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'm putting in our DME reservation online and I can't remember which flight number for the in-coming flight to Orlando I should use. Do I put the flight number from the originating airport SMF or from the last flight segment from DEN coming in Orlando? I'm thinking we use the flight number from DEN to MCO right?
DEN to MCO. The only thing they need to know is how you are landing at MCO ... it makes no difference to them where you originally started from.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: