Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 04:46 AM   #856
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfan71 View Post
If you add airline tickets on your WDW reservation, do you get the special luggage tags ahead of time? I've never done this before.
Disney's Magical Express is related to your RESORT reservation. It has nothing to do with how you bought your flights or through whom.

Contact whomever you booked your WDW reservation through ... if you booked through Disney, call 407-W-DISNEY, if you booked through a travel agent then call your travel agent.

Tell them you want to make a reservation for Disney's Magical Express. DME is free (it's part of your DIsney room reservation), but it's not automatic; you must opt in, you must tell them you want it.

They will ask your flight information, so they'll know about when you're arriving and when you'll be going back home.

Once you tell them, that's all you need to do for a while. About a month or so before your trip, you will receive a mailing from DME. It will be a booklet of instructions and vouchers, as well as the special DME luggage tags ... these tags are paper, bright yellow sticky paper that is pre-printed with your pertinent travel information (name, resort name, reservation number, etc.).

At home, you'll put one of those tags on each suitcase that you will check with your airline (each suitcase that you will hand over to the airline ... you won't need to tag your carry-on bags).

On your departure day, check your bags with your airline like normal. Your airline at your home airport has no idea what Disney's Magical Express is, and they don't need to. Your bags don't get treated in any special way until they are unloaded in Orlando. From there, bags with those bright yellow DME tags are separated from the rest of the bags, and are taken to Disney's luggage sorting facility on the grounds of the airport. They are sorted and then delivered by truck to your resort, and your bags should be inside your room within about 3 hours of when you check-in at your resort, and the bags will be put inside your room whether you're in there or not.

The neat thing is that, after you land, you skip baggage claim. You go right to the DME counter at the airport (the DME instruction booklet has directions). You are directed to a bus.

Great system. FREE works for me, too.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #857
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname70 View Post
I'm arriving in Orlando a week before my Disney vacation and staying off property. I'll be renting a car at MCO and returning it to MCO on the first day of my Disney stay at WL.
This is the rule bend...can I tell DME that I am arriving on a flight (that I am not really on) the day I return the car-get on the DME Bus-and check in to the WL?

FLame on....
The cool thing is that you're NOT bending any rules!

There is absolutely no rule that says you must fly into Orlando on your check-in day. The rules are that you must be named on a WDW room reservation, your ride from MCO to your resort must be on or after your check-in day, and your ride from your resort to MCO must be on or before yoru check-in day. That's all!

You can do as you say. Or if you prefer, you can wait 'til you're less than 60 days before your trip and call DME directly ... they'll understand your situation and you won't need to tell them bogus flight information. But if you call the main Disney number, the people there won't understand the system fully, and you'd need to supply them bogus flight info.

No matter which way you do it, you are FULLY entitled to that DME ride from the airport to your resort on your WDW check-in day, no matter how you got yourself to the airport.

No one will flame you about this, at least no one who hangs around the Transportation board, because we know there's nothng flammable in your post.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #858
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname70 View Post
I'm arriving in Orlando a week before my Disney vacation and staying off property. I'll be renting a car at MCO and returning it to MCO on the first day of my Disney stay at WL.
This is the rule bend...can I tell DME that I am arriving on a flight (that I am not really on) the day I return the car-get on the DME Bus-and check in to the WL?

FLame on....
Not a problem at all. Many people do something similar. If they arrive the day before and don't want to spend the night at WDW, they get a cheap room at the airport (or closeby), then give DME the flight times of an arriving flight that matches when they will be needing a ride to their resort.
Not bending any rules at all. The thing I would do? I would drive to WL, get checked in, get rid of the bags, then return the car to MCO, and take DME back to the resort.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #859
noname70
Mouseketeer

Thanks to you both
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #860
jeanylaser
Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista biggest fan

thanks for the info!

jeanylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #861
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

How long do you wait for your Magical Express Bus to leave and take you to the resort?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #862
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

A typical breakdown....
1. 10-15 mins from plane to DME..if you don't stop for food
2. 10 mins in line at the DME counter (I've been in line for 30 secs and as long as 18 mins)
3. up to 20 min wait in bus line....or you could get right on a bus..average time about 10 min.
4. up to 20 mins on the bus, waiting to leave

I have gotten to the DME counter, waited 5 mins in line, then been directed to the appropriate resort bus line, and just walked down the que and onto a bus. Waited about 5 mins on the bus, then it left. Obviously, I was one of the last to board the bus.

Once the bus leaves, it is about 30 mins to WDW...you can add another 20 mins to that if you are the last stop. So conceivably, you could take as little as 50 mins to get to the resort after deplaning, or as long as 90 mins if nothing works in your favour.....65-70 min is the average time from plane to resort.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #863
diskids2

Does it make sense to have someone wait and get the luggage while someone else waits at the DME counter. Does it also make sense to have someone wait on the bus line as well....we have three adults in our party.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #864
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
Does it make sense to have someone wait and get the luggage while someone else waits at the DME counter. Does it also make sense to have someone wait on the bus line as well....we have three adults in our party.
You don't have to touch your bags. DME does it all--that's why it's magical! Just go get in line at DME. If you have little ones, you may want to hit the potty before DME.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #865
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm going to assume that you are tagging your bags with the DME yellow tags. If that's so, you won't see your luggage until you get to your resort.
But, you may be thinking of lugging your checked bags (no yellow tags used) to the DME bus with you. If so.....
The arrival area of the airport is on level 3, baggage claim is on level 2, with DME on level 1, with the rest of ground transportation. So, someone would have to stay on level 2, wait for the bags, then lug them, all by themselves, down a level to level 1, and meet up with the rest of the party.
Only one person is needed to wait in the DME checkin line. The rest of the group can wait in the lounge area. When the checkin process is done, everyone then goes to the appropriate bus line, where the CM may want to see your voucher as you get in line.
Believe me, you are not going to be popular if you try to send some people to wait in the bus line, while others get the luggage and one person checks you all in...wait until you see the dirty looks you get as you, or the person with all the luggage, tries moving up the line saying...'Excuse me, trying to get to my party.' Not a great move...at least in my opinion.

Let DME take care of your luggage, have one person get in line for checkin, then all of you head to the bus line. You aren't going to make up any time by trying to split the group up. Besides...what are you going to do if those in the bus line are able to board the bus, but the luggage person isn't there yet?? Or, the person with the vouchers?? Just do things the way they are supposed to be done. It's only 70 mins.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #866
CleveRocks

Quote:
I'm assuming from your question that you are choosing to NOT take advantage of the DME luggage handling.

No, I don't think it would make sense to do it that way. It's possible it could cause a headache for you and for others.

The wait at the DME counter might be negligible. So might the wait to get on the bus. You wouldn't be able to get on the bus while the other person in your party is at baggage claim, because they will need their bus voucher stamped at the counter.

Even if they COULD get on the bus while you're waiting on the bus, what if the bus leaves and your party-member still isn't there yet? You'd attempt to hold up the bus to wait for that person. There will be one of two results: you will be asked to leave the bus if you want to travel on the same bus as that person; or you will have a lot of angry and frustrated people on the bus because your party's actions are holding up the bus.

Buses are supposed to leave a certain amount of time after the first guest boards the bus. The bus is not held for specific individuals or parties (in other words, you are not assigned to a specific bus ... buses run all day).

I hope this info helps you understand the process, as you decide what will work best for you guys.

As for my opinion, I echo what others have said ... let DME handle your bags for you. Pack your carry-ons with your immediate needs (which is always good advice no matter where you fly, just in case the AIRLINE delays your bags).
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #867
diskids2

Ok. Let me take a breath.

First....It could be the way I worded my question...but I would NEVER even attempt to make the bus wait for me or my party. Please see this from my orignial frame of reference. I have never used DME before. I only used Mears many years ago and we waited (both trips) about 30 minutes for our bus to even come. We are arriving at 5 pm at night and I only wanted to see if I could cut down on "wait times". My original thought was that the person on the bus line would in no way even get on a bus....let alone have it wait....before anyone else got there.

Now that I got that out of the way......

Thank you for the information regarding the process/procedure. We are not letting DME handle our luggage because of our late arrival and I don't want to wait until close to 11 pm (or potentially wait) to get our bags and unpack. One reason we are flying the day before we tour the parks is that we want to get settled in. It looks like I can have one person wait on the DME line and the other three get the luggage and then everyone meet up at the bus area. If the DME counter line is very short, then it won't hold any other guests up and if it is long...we saved some time.

Thank you again for your help in explaining how it all works to me....I LOVE THESE BOARDS!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #868
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

First....It could be the way I worded my question...but I would NEVER even attempt to make the bus wait for me or my party. Please see this from my orignial frame of reference. I have never used DME before. I only used Mears many years ago and we waited (both trips) about 30 minutes for our bus to even come. We are arriving at 5 pm at night and I only wanted to see if I could cut down on "wait times". My original thought was that the person on the bus line would in no way even get on a bus....let alone have it wait....before anyone else got there.

Now that I got that out of the way......

Thank you for the information regarding the process/procedure. We are not letting DME handle our luggage because of our late arrival and I don't want to wait until close to 11 pm (or potentially wait) to get our bags and unpack. One reason we are flying the day before we tour the parks is that we want to get settled in. It looks like I can have one person wait on the DME line and the other three get the luggage and then everyone meet up at the bus area. If the DME counter line is very short, then it won't hold any other guests up and if it is long...we saved some time.

Thank you again for your help in explaining how it all works to me....I LOVE THESE BOARDS!
There you go....sounds like a good plan. When you are heading to the DME checkin area (level 1) you will go right by the baggage claim area (level 2). Leave some party members there to grab the bags when they come out. Another adult can head directly to DME and get checked in. As I said, there is a seating/lounge area, across from the DME checkin counter. If the checkin adult is still in line, those arriving with the bags can just sit down and wait. Or, the checkin person can wait for the luggage group to arrive. Then, everyone can head over to the bus lines..which are about 20' away from where you have all been sitting.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #869
CleveRocks

Quote:

First....It could be the way I worded my question...but I would NEVER even attempt to make the bus wait for me or my party. Please see this from my orignial frame of reference.
I never implied that you would attempt to make the bus wait for your party. i was just explaining the process with an example so you could learn how the process works. Nothing more!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #870
Disneyfan71
Paging Mr. Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived, please give them a ring.

Even if we fly Southwest can we use the DME? Will we get luggage tags? Reason why I ask is b/c with Airtran it's amost $800 for us and $500 for Southwest--we're going the week before Easter and typically airfares are higher b/c there's more of a demand. I used to work for the airline Anyways, just wondering if Southwest is a participating airline. . Thanksl.

1983,1986, 1987,88,95: Off site

Disneyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: