Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #841
Elysiannn
Mouseketeer

Opps, I am flying out with Spirit which isn't on the list so does that mean I need to get to the airport on my own? I also will hand carry my own luggage both ways. Ely

2001 - first trip ever!!
2002 - first solo trip AKL
2003 - second solo trip AS-Sports Surf's Up!
2004 - trip with niece CBR
2005 - birthday trip Dolphin
2006 - Family trip
2007 - Good grades trip for Nephew!
2010 - Quick BFF trip!
Elysiannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #842
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiannn View Post
Opps, I am flying out with Spirit which isn't on the list so does that mean I need to get to the airport on my own? I also will hand carry my own luggage both ways. Ely
It will be very very helpful for you if you read the first post in this thread.

EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the following services through Disney's Magical Express:
  • free ROUND-TRIP motorcoach transportation between Orlando International Airport and your Disney resort (round-trip as in a ride from airport to hotel on your first day, and a ride from your hotel to the airport on your last day).
  • free ONE-WAY automatic luggage handling/delivery TO your hotel (you put special tags on your bags at home, you check your bags with your airline like usual, but at MCO you skip baggage claim because your bags will be automatically delivered to the inside of your room).

The ONLY thing that flying a participating airline does for people is that it gets them the baggage handling on the way home ... they get to use Resort Airline Check-in, which is like curbside check-in only it's in your hotel lobby rather than at the airport.

So, if you follow this, you'll see that if you fly Spirit, you get the bus ride in each direction, and you get the luggage delivery on your arrival day.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #843
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Eric is totally correct here.
It is worth mentioning that DME and RAC are two different entities. One has nothing to do with the other. Disney tends to market them together though.
Every guest at a WDW owned resort is entitled to a ride to and from the airport. Makes no difference what airline they are using. Heck, I've taken DME back to MCO in order to pick up my rental car (cheaper there than at WDW).

"Participating airlines" is important when you are discussing RAC...Remote airline checkin. Each airline has to make the choice as to whether or not it wants to 'participate' in the RAC program. I believe it may cost the airlines a bit per passenger, but could be wrong. I will say that I try to book participating airlines simply because I like getting rid of my checked bags right at the resort...so, those airlines that 'participate' get more of my WDW business...so, the airlines made a good choice.

How you handle your luggage each way is up to you. You can have DMEtake care of it upon arrival or you can leave it untagged and grab it yourself from baggage claim. As for departure, the bags would go with you on the DME bus because Spirit isn't a 'participating' airline.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #844
jeanylaser
Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista biggest fan

Thanks for the info! I'm not confused anymore!

jeanylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #845
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanylaser View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm not confused anymore!
Excellent...have a wonderful birthday trip!!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #846
Cupcake88
Mouseketeer

We purchased our AirTran tickets prior to the baggage fee being imposed and therefore shouldn't have to pay it on the way back. Do I need any documentation for this or will RAC know when we check in to leave?
Celebrating our gift of life - our Heart-i-versary is March 26!
2007 - CSR 2008 - AKL 2009 - POFQ

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/cvguxpxtuk2dntfo.png[/img]
Cupcake88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #847
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Your status as far as luggage fees should show when they go to do your boarding passes.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #848
Cupcake88
Mouseketeer

Thanks Diane!
Celebrating our gift of life - our Heart-i-versary is March 26!
2007 - CSR 2008 - AKL 2009 - POFQ

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/cvguxpxtuk2dntfo.png[/img]
Cupcake88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #849
JohnsonsRUs
Mouseketeer

I have a quick question, sorry if this has been asked before. If we are planning to do the RAC, does that mean our time to go back to the airport will be shorter? For example, we are scheduled to be picked up 3 hours before our flight, but since we don't have to hassle with luggage, we really would only need 2 hours.

Thanks.
Feb 2005 First time to DW for Me and DD Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2006 Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2007 Surprise trip Pop Century; Feb 2008 Grand Gathering Pop Century; Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2010 Surprise for DD's 13th b-day/Our 20th Anniversary; August 2014 Pop Century with FL extended family
JohnsonsRUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #850
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Nope. RAC has little, to nothing, to do with DME. DME picks you up abouy 3 hrs before your flight departure because they need that much time to get you to MCO at the recommended 2 hrs before flight time (as recommended by MCO). Sometimes, you will be on a bus that heads right for the airport, which will get you to the airport with 2 1/2 hrs to kill.
But, there are other times where the bus will make other stops along the way. Then, there could be traffic on the highway, or God forbid, an accident. Security can be longish. I have had wait times of about 15 mins usually, but have been in a line, once, that took me close to half an hour to get through. I have also seen hugely long lines at security as I was walking past...arriving at MCO.

When you checkin with RAC, you get your bags checked right there, and your boarding passes issued. So that will mean you have more time to spend checking out shops and restaurants at MCO. No need to go through baggage checkin first..just head right to security.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #851
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

2 questions

1. Does anyone know, if our ticket is through delta but the first leg is via Alaska as their partner, if we will have to pay for those first bags? Trying to determine how much to carry on.

and

2. Our flight info does not show on the luggage tags that arrived (although clearly someone wrote it down when I called or they wouldn't have sent the ME tags in the first place). Do I need to call and give it to them again and make sure they have it and will we need new replacement tags?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #852
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

I can't help with the baggage question...may be best to go to the specific airline site for that answer, but as far as your DME tags go..your tags won't have flight info on them. You may find the flight info inside the info packet. As long as the bar code is there, you should be good to go. DME doesn't really care about your arriving flight info. Your departing flight info is much more important. If that is incorrect or not evident, you can give them the correct info when you check in. In fact, they will most likely ask you about it at that time.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #853
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I can't help with the baggage question...may be best to go to the specific airline site for that answer, but as far as your DME tags go..your tags won't have flight info on them. You may find the flight info inside the info packet. As long as the bar code is there, you should be good to go. DME doesn't really care about your arriving flight info. Your departing flight info is much more important. If that is incorrect or not evident, you can give them the correct info when you check in. In fact, they will most likely ask you about it at that time.
Thanks! no it's not in the documents but if they don't need it for the inbound, I won't worry about it. thanks!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #854
Disneyfan71
Paging Mr. Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived, please give them a ring.

If you add airline tickets on your WDW reservation, do you get the special luggage tags ahead of time? I've never done this before.

1983,1986, 1987,88,95: Off site

Disneyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #855
noname70
Mouseketeer

will this work?

I'm arriving in Orlando a week before my Disney vacation and staying off property. I'll be renting a car at MCO and returning it to MCO on the first day of my Disney stay at WL.
This is the rule bend...can I tell DME that I am arriving on a flight (that I am not really on) the day I return the car-get on the DME Bus-and check in to the WL?

FLame on....

Last edited by noname70; 01-16-2009 at 02:36 AM.
noname70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: