Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #661
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin_rep View Post
I apologize if this has been asked, and it probably has but i haven't found it.

I'm still a little fuzzy on what we do when we have an 1100 check out (all stars) but 500ish flight.

Can we check our luggage w/luggage services at 1100 and spend the day away from the resort (like at DD or Boardwalk or anywhere) and then just find our way to the ME without our luggage? Or do we have to come back to the resort and pick up our luggage and physically place it on the ME?

I did read the first post but still am unsure... (but it has been a really LONG day and week... )

TIA.

It depends on what airline you are flying home on. If you are flying on a 'participating airline' (Airtran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Jetblue, Northwest, United) you can check your bags right at your resort. You can do that first thing in the morning, get your boarding passes issued and then head off for the rest of the day.
If you are not on one of those airlines, you can leave your bags with bell services at the resort. You will have gotten a notice, left under your resort room door, the day before you depart, telling you what time your DME pickup is. If you haven't checked your luggage through that morning, you just head back to your resort, get your bags that you left with the luggage folks that morning and head to the bus. Your bags will go underneath the bus.
Now...the thing to keep in mind is that you need to be back at the resort about 45 mins before your pickup time. So..if your flight is at 5:00, you will be given a p/u time of about 2:00. Be back at the resort by 1:15ish, especially if you have bags to retrieve. The time you are given is the time the bus leaves, not the time you should show up.

Anyone can use RAC....as long as you are on the list of participating airlines. You do not need to ride the DME back to the airport.

Also...you have to pick up the bus at your resort. You can not get on a DME bus at any other resort. You have been assigned a seat on a particular bus, at a particular time.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #662
karensi
Taking grandchildren to WDW will be a magical experience!

We are going to DW the end of August and I just booked my airline (JetBlue). Is it too early to call DME to give them my info?

Also, what is the phone # for DME??

TIA,

Karen
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #663
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

You need to book DME with whomever you booked your resort reservation. DME usually doesn't want to talk to you much before a month or so before you travel.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #664
karensi

Thanks Goofy, I'm guessing that I could just call IPO then,as we will be staying (for the 1st time) at GF, RPC .

Since our trip is the end of August, I will call in July.

About how long does it take to get your tags after you call to give the info?

Karen
Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #665
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karensi View Post
Thanks Goofy, I'm guessing that I could just call IPO then,as we will be staying (for the 1st time) at GF, RPC .

Since our trip is the end of August, I will call in July.

About how long does it take to get your tags after you call to give the info?

Karen
Call now. You usually get your info packet with luggage tags about 5 weeks before you leave. Just make that reservation and forget about it. When you get that packet in the mail, in July, you'll feel so good!!! Vacation is almost here!!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #666
karensi

Thanks (again) Goofy... I'll call Tuesday morning. I've been working with a GREAT IPO person, Denny. He has told me that he works Monday through Friday, and since Monday is a holiday, I'll wait till Tuesday, just to make sure he is in.

Karen
Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #667
Laurie222
Mouseketeer

Flight Changes by AA

I just found out that AA changed our flight # and time (old flight numbers are coming out of totally different airports). We are renting points from a DVC member. Do I need to contact him to call DVC to adjust our ME?

Only 9 more days
Laurie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #668
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie222 View Post
I just found out that AA changed our flight # and time (old flight numbers are coming out of totally different airports). We are renting points from a DVC member. Do I need to contact him to call DVC to adjust our ME?

Only 9 more days
I wouldn't worry about it. They don't really care about the actual flight info...they see any luggage with those yellow luggage tags on 'em and they pull them.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #669
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Well, actually it depends on what time your flight is schedule to arrive.

If you have a late arriving flight, I would contact your DVC member and have them change it. The tags won't matter, but staffing at their desk and bus drivers will matter.

They keep the desk and buses staffed according to reservations made and track that through flight numbers. If you have a late arriving flight and you are delayed, and you changed flight numbers they won't know to expect you and you could have a delay in getting taken to your resort.

Worse case scenario is a sign will be on the desk, and you call a phone number to have some type of transportation dispatched to you, but it could be a longer wait after a frustrating day of delays.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #670
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
Well, actually it depends on what time your flight is schedule to arrive.

If you have a late arriving flight, I would contact your DVC member and have them change it. The tags won't matter, but staffing at their desk and bus drivers will matter.

They keep the desk and buses staffed according to reservations made and track that through flight numbers. If you have a late arriving flight and you are delayed, and you changed flight numbers they won't know to expect you and you could have a delay in getting taken to your resort.
Exactly.

If there are no reservations for incoming guests, the DME counter at the airport actually closes at 11:00 p.m. However, they will stay open and staffed all through the night if they know people are arriving throughout the wee hours of the morning. They not only know about the flights scheduled to arrive late, but they are also hooked into the airlines' and airport's comouter systems. If your flight was scheduled to land at 8:00 p.m. but has been delayed and is not expected to arrive at 2:00 a.m., they will know this because they know your flight number and will know to wait for you.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #671
Laurie222
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the info, everyone! Our original flight was supposed to arrive at 10:55am, but now will come just after Noon. So, it sounds as though it is not absolutely necessary to contact ME.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #672
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Ok another ?

If we use it ONLY for the return trip to the Airport, and we are flying with a participating airline. What do we do with our carry on stuff? Should I store the kids backpacks and stuff with the bellman?
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #673
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Yep, store it with Bell Services/Luggage Services then get back to your resort at least 45 minutes before your DME pickup time, retrieve your carryons, and board the bus!!
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #674
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

We've always used (and love ) ME. We usually fly Air Tran because they use the RAC. Now that they've gone and changed the luggage allowance here is my question. On the Air Tran Website it says you can pay the extra luggage charge when you check in online. If we check in online and pay the additional luggage fee that way can we still give the extra luggage to the RAC desk? I had read that they would only take the allowed 1 bag per passenger since they had no way to pay the extra fee. If the extra fee is already taken care of (online check in) can we leave all the luggage with RAC?

Thanks!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #675
Laurie222
Mouseketeer

AA/ME Checked luggage Charge before June 15

On the Dis News service, it says that ME will start charging for all AA checked luggage on June 1. My understanding is that the AA charge does not go into effect until June 15, and that people having been ticketed before then are grandfathered in. We leave tomorrow at 5:30am. What is the scoop?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: