Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #586
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Due to airport regulations, all persons riding DME must be registered into the hotel room, and must have reservations to use DME prior to arriving at the airport.

So in short, as long as she is on the room reservation, then yes, she can ride DME both ways.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #587
avspilot69
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the reply.
avspilot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #588
tmli
Wants to be known as tmlh....

If a family is arriving from Canada and has to clear US customs in Orlando....how does this change things in regards to baggage pick up. They get their luggage and go through customs, and then put it somewhere else to be transferred to the main terminal? Will dme pick it up from there? Does the family need to pick it up in main terminal at carousel and bring on the bus?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #589
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

The first thing you said. They pick their luggage up at customs, then place it on another belt after clearing customs. It is taken to the main terminal from there and that is where DME grabs the bags with yellow tags. The guests then proceed down to Level 1, Side B and checks in and boards their Magical Express bus. Their bags will appear in the room approximately 3 hours after checking into their resort.

If they put the yellow tags on, there is no need to go to the baggage carousel in the main terminal.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #590
3hearts
Earning My Ears

Returning to Airport

How often does the DME pass through the resorts to head to the airport. Our luggage will be pre-checked, so we don't really feel like we need to leave the resxort 3 hours in advance. Of course, the resort will tell us it is necessary. Can we just get to the bus stop say 2. hours before our flight time?

thanks,
Ellen - leaving tomorrow
3hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #591
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hearts View Post
How often does the DME pass through the resorts to head to the airport. Our luggage will be pre-checked, so we don't really feel like we need to leave the resxort 3 hours in advance. Of course, the resort will tell us it is necessary. Can we just get to the bus stop say 2. hours before our flight time?
No, you can't. 2 reasons why:

Each resort can get DME pick-ups twice an hour on a set schedule 30 minutes apart, such as :10 and :40 after the hour, or :00 and :30 after the hour, and so on. However, the pick-ups only occur when there are reservations for rides. You will be informed of your pick-up time a day in advance. Let's say you are scheduled for a 3:00 p.m. pick-up for a 5:45 p.m. flight. If you decide to skip that 3:00 p.m. bus, there is no guarantee that there will be a 3:30 p.m. bus. There's also no guarantee there's a 4:00 p.m. bus, or a 4:30 p.m. bus, and so on. And there's no way for you to know. You might say, "I'll ask at the resort." The problem is, the resort has no idea, either. CMs who work at the resorts are not connected with DME in any way. A Bell Captain, for example, may know by observation that DME pick-ups at that resort are on the :00 and :30 after the hour, but that person is not privy to DME reservation information and has no way of knowing when the next pick-up after 3:00 p.m. (in this example) will occur. MAKE SENSE?

The next reason also involves reservations. Let's say you get lucky and there is a 4:00 p.m. bus, and you get on that. Let's say that bus (which is NOT your scheduled bus) is scheduled to make 3 stops, and your resort is the first stop. Let's also say that the bus is scheduled to be full (e.g., there are 52 seats and 52 reservations). If you get on that bus, there will not be sufficient seats for everyone with a legitimate reservation for it. As a result, your presence will cause a problem for someone else. hey will be distressed that they don't have seats on a bus they are reserved for, and they want to be on that bus. MAKE SENSE?

These are 2 reasons why you have to decide to be on your scheduled bus or to pay for your own way back to the airport.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #592
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

The other thing to note is that there are times that security at MCO is a bear....you could be in that line for a lot longer than you had hoped. So...let's say you have a 6:30 pm flight...DME tells you that they will pick you up at 3:30. You decide that you really want to get that last ride on Dumbo in...nope, you'll get back to the resort in time to catch a 4:30 bus (as Eric said..if there is one or if it isn't full)..so you get on the bus, but it has to make 3 more stops..okay, now it's close to 5:00, you're on the way to MCO. That takes at least 30 mins...if you get a pokey driver (and they have them, I always get them!!!) it could be longer. So, you hop off the bus at 5:40, head to security.....yikes, those lines are gynormous!!! So, you cool your heels for 20 or so mins...getting to your gate at 6:00! Nope, that's way too close for me. And most airports will ask that you arrive at the airport 2 hrs before departure.
If you really feel strongly that you don't want to leave at the time DME gives you, then hire a towncar for the one way trip. Then you can tell them what time you wish to leave. You could even change where they pick you up if you wanted.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #593
Goofy'sPrincess
Earning My Ears

I hope this hasn't been touched on yet, and I'm sorry if it has. Will DME also pick up from those who ride the train or bus stations?

I'm just trying to figure out the most economical way to get there. BUT I'm thinking that DME only does this with airlines?!

So I'm assuming if we're thinking of tacking AmTrac that we'd have to rent a car?

Thank You for your help!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #594
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy'sPrincess View Post
I hope this hasn't been touched on yet, and I'm sorry if it has. Will DME also pick up from those who ride the train or bus stations?

I'm just trying to figure out the most economical way to get there. BUT I'm thinking that DME only does this with airlines?!

So I'm assuming if we're thinking of tacking AmTrac that we'd have to rent a car?

Thank You for your help!
DME is strictly transportation between Orlando International Airport and your WDW owned-and-operated resort. It's not specific to any airlines, and in fact it's not even necessary that you fly into or out of MCO ... but MCO and your WDW resort are the only places you can take DME to and from.

If you don't need a car during your trip, you can arrange for a car service or take a taxi from the Amtrak station or bus station.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #595
Goofy'sPrincess
Earning My Ears

Thank You. I thought so. I'm thinking it will cost us MORE to take Amtrack as it would just getting a flight. NOW my concern is Which company to fly to. Oh, I can't wait for Vacation but arranging everything before-hand is a little stressful when I haven't traveled in awhile.

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #596
disneynuts777
I have never had this done
I have the toppers in my bedroom

Smile Dme

Is it possible when booking DME to have people arrive on different dates for the same reservation? We are headed down June 29- July 11. However DH will only be able to join us from July 3-8. Is it possible for him to use the DME as well or will we have to make alternate arrangements? We are syaing at BWV for the two weeks.
disneynuts777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #597
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynuts777 View Post
Is it possible when booking DME to have people arrive on different dates for the same reservation? We are headed down June 29- July 11. However DH will only be able to join us from July 3-8. Is it possible for him to use the DME as well or will we have to make alternate arrangements? We are syaing at BWV for the two weeks.
It's no problem!! Just give the reservations folks his dates and flight numbers!!
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #598
angiepangie8
DIS Veteran

this was proabably already covered but,
What is the latest ME runs. We are taking a late flight out when we leave WDW ~flight leaves at 9:55 pm

Also if you are transferring hotels during your stay will your luggage be tranferred for you? and If so how easy is it to do this? We are staying at the POP Century and then AKL. We are renting a car for the first day and I am just wondering if we should keep the rental car an extra day to enable us to get us and our luggage to AKL.

thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #599
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepangie8 View Post
this was proabably already covered but,
What is the latest ME runs. We are taking a late flight out when we leave WDW ~flight leaves at 9:55 pm

Also if you are transferring hotels during your stay will your luggage be tranferred for you? and If so how easy is it to do this? We are staying at the POP Century and then AKL. We are renting a car for the first day and I am just wondering if we should keep the rental car an extra day to enable us to get us and our luggage to AKL.

thanks
DME is a 24/7 operation. Your flight that departs at 9:55 p.m.? It does that every day. DM has been around almost 3 years ... they've seen it all. But like I said, no worries, you'll get your ride.

Your other question has to do with transfer of luggage between WDW resorts. The resorts' Bell Services departments will handle that for you. You won't need to bring your bags from Pop to AKL. The only thing you'll need to do is get your luggage to Pop's Luggage Assistance CMs, then they'll take it from there.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #600
angiepangie8
DIS Veteran

Thanks CleveRocks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: