Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #46
huey578
Test Track Dummy

Question

So if we are flying Southwest Airlines into Orlando, will our luggage will be sent directly to resort or do we still need to pick it up at baggage claim and take with us on bus? Thanks

WDW Commando Member #201
huey578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #47
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huey578
So if we are flying Southwest Airlines into Orlando, will our luggage will be sent directly to resort or do we still need to pick it up at baggage claim and take with us on bus? Thanks
Luggage will be sent directly to the resort if that is what you want. (All guests should hand carry valuables, and stuff they will need right away such as swimsuits.)

Coming to Disney the Magical Express procedure for all airlines, including Southwest, is the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnTH
So, We only need ME on the way back. (We are flying back from Orlando Airport) We are staying on Rented Points at DVC. Are we allowed to use ME? If so, we just make our reservations at the front desk at BWV?? We are flying by Northwest that is not listed - so, do we just take our luggage with us then?? .
Yes and yes. Make your homebound reservation at least a day before checkout, you can do that at the resort. You will have to manage your luggage yourself between checkout and boarding the bus. The bellhop will store luggage for a few hours while you enjoy the parks, if you wish.
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 02-12-2006 at 10:41 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #48
kristadisneylover
Going to live by Disneyland!

I have found this thread to be very helpful. Question: If I use the ME luggage tags and then decide when I get to MCO that I want to take them myself is that possible? Or will they automatically put the luggage somewhere else when they see the luggage tags?
Also, do you receive gratuities if we take our luggage with us - but then allow you to handle them on and off the bus? Just don't want to jip (sp?) anyone? I know if we take them the whole time you won't but was wondering about the above.
Thanks
kristadisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #49
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadisneylover
I have found this thread to be very helpful. Question: If I use the ME luggage tags and then decide when I get to MCO that I want to take them myself is that possible? Or will they automatically put the luggage somewhere else when they see the luggage tags?
Also, do you receive gratuities if we take our luggage with us - but then allow you to handle them on and off the bus? Just don't want to jip (sp?) anyone? I know if we take them the whole time you won't but was wondering about the above.
Thanks
HI and Welcome to the DIS boards. As to your questions...if you put those yellow tags on your bags, you won't see them again until you get to your resort room. So, if you think you may want to pick them up yourself, at baggage claim, don't put the tags on. They are pulled before they ever make it out to the baggage claim area.
As far as tipping the bus driver, the rule of thumb is...if the driver touches your bags, he/she gets a tip...about a buck a bag. Any bag that was considered 'checked baggage' at the airport, will have to go underneath the bus, so the driver will be tipped. If you have only 'carry-on' bags with you, then they go on the bus with you, and the driver never touches them, and no tip. However, if I get a driver who is fun, witty and informative...basically goes the little bit extra, I will tip even if I only have carry-on with me.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #50
kristadisneylover
Going to live by Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
HI and Welcome to the DIS boards. As to your questions...if you put those yellow tags on your bags, you won't see them again until you get to your resort room. So, if you think you may want to pick them up yourself, at baggage claim, don't put the tags on. They are pulled before they ever make it out to the baggage claim area.
As far as tipping the bus driver, the rule of thumb is...if the driver touches your bags, he/she gets a tip...about a buck a bag. Any bag that was considered 'checked baggage' at the airport, will have to go underneath the bus, so the driver will be tipped. If you have only 'carry-on' bags with you, then they go on the bus with you, and the driver never touches them, and no tip. However, if I get a driver who is fun, witty and informative...basically goes the little bit extra, I will tip even if I only have carry-on with me.
Thanks so much for clarifying!!!
kristadisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #51
rw_hadley
"Did you ever get the feeling there's something going on that we don't know about?" Fenwick from "Diner"

US Air now a participating airline??

Someone on the AllEarsNet weekly newsletter claimed that they had contacted WDW regarding ME, and that US Airways was now a participating airline.
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

WDW:
June '78 - Offsite
Oct '92 - Carribean Beach Resort
Dec '96 - Wilderness Lodge
Oct/Nov '00 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
Dec '06 - Wilderness Lodge
Aug '09 - Wilderness Lodge
Mar '11 - Swan

Aug '15 - Boardwalk Villas (I hope!)
DLR:
Oct '12 - Best Western Plus Park Place Inn
rw_hadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #52
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

I read the same thing. The one thing to keep in mind with DME and participating airlines is this....every single person arriving in MCO, whatever their particular airline, is able to use DME to get to WDW. It is only the ability to check your luggage through for your return flight that is different. If you are not on one of those 'participating' airlines, you will get a note from DME the day before you are to leave telling you what time to report to the bus area. You will then take your luggage with you to the bus, the luggage will go underneath the bus, you will go on the bus. Then you get dropped off at the same spot at the terminal you arrived at. You take your bags and check them as usual.

It is very nice to be able to get rid of your bags at the resort though. Hopefully, as time goes by, more and more airlines will take part in this.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:47 PM   #53
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw_hadley
Someone on the AllEarsNet weekly newsletter claimed that they had contacted WDW regarding ME, and that US Airways was now a participating airline.
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
The OFFICIAL word is as follows:

US Airways is NOT a participating airline.

Northwest is currently undergoing testing, and may do some soft-opens at SOME resorts starting as early as next week. (Subject to change, depending on testing conditions. Not available at all resorts.)
Old 02-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #54
Sunshine427
Mouseketeer

Southwest

I'm sorry, just to clarify.... we're flying on Southwest, so my luggage will automatically go to the hotel (POP) as long as I put the tags on them. But leaving we have to bring our luggage to the DME bus & check them ourselves at MCO, it will not be done automatically since Southwest is not a "participating" airline, is that correct???
Sunshine427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #55
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine427
I'm sorry, just to clarify.... we're flying on Southwest, so my luggage will automatically go to the hotel (POP) as long as I put the tags on them. But leaving we have to bring our luggage to the DME bus & check them ourselves at MCO, it will not be done automatically since Southwest is not a "participating" airline, is that correct???
Yep, you got it!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #56
Sunshine427
Mouseketeer

Thanks alot!!!
Sunshine427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #57
Rosco'sjamma
Earning My Ears

bagage tags

We're leaving for Disney next Tuesday...March 7th. We made ressies last Thurdsay for DME and they said they would Fed Ex our tags to us. We haven't gotten them yet. Should I panic? Should I call? Do you think they'll get here on time? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rosco's Jamma
Rosco'sjamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 AM   #58
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

I would call them. But you can still have your luggage sent to the resort if you don't have the tags. When you go to the DME desk you give them your baggage claim numbers and they can pull the luggage and send it to the resort. No need for you to go to baggage claim.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #59
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco'sjamma
We're leaving for Disney next Tuesday...March 7th. We made ressies last Thurdsay for DME and they said they would Fed Ex our tags to us. We haven't gotten them yet. Should I panic? Should I call? Do you think they'll get here on time? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rosco's Jamma
I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. But, don't panic! Everything will go just fine. You have two options....since you won't have those yellow tags you can just go to baggage claim and pick up your luggage as usual and take it with you to the DME check-in area. Then your stuff will just go under the bus and arrive with you at your resort.
Or..you can show your baggage claim slips to the DME people and someone will go get the bags for you and send them along with the 'yellow tagged' bags, and they will arrive at your resort sometime after you do. If you can give the DME person a good description of your luggage it will help. I have made some brightly colored wide ribbon tie-ons to help identify my bags.

Either way....it will all go smoothly. If I were you, I would just get my own luggage. That way you'll have it with you when you check-in. Have a terrific trip!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #60
Rosco'sjamma
Earning My Ears

Bagage tags

Safety Mom:

Thank you for getting back to me. Your answer put my mind at ease....somewhat. I'm sure all will work out. I guess I have to blame myself for not registering for DME sooner. It was just one of those things that I put off...a bit too long.

Again, thank you for your help.

Rosco's Jamma
Rosco'sjamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: