Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #451
jultomzach
Mouseketeer

Any updates on Disney expanding the hotels that are experimenting with USAirways as a participating airline. I am flying out on Wed. Dec. 12th and considering booking USAirways vs Southwest IF Beachclub Villas will be included.
jultomzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #452
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

All updates will be on the first post of this thread. It is kept current.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #453
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

So, if I'm traveling with my DH, DS, and MIL, can we use Magical Express for all of our bags from MCO if we rent a car and my DH drives it (DS, MIL, and I would be on the ME bus)? We'd like to have a car to get to the parks, but we like the idea of ME handling our bags. Also, we can get a smaller car if we never have to put all of our luggage in it.

If we do resort check-in (we'll fly Jet Blue) and have a rental car, we won't need ME on the way back, right? Or the three of us could ride the bus and DH could drive. I have never used resort check in or ME before, can you tell? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #454
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
So, if I'm traveling with my DH, DS, and MIL, can we use Magical Express for all of our bags from MCO if we rent a car and my DH drives it (DS, MIL, and I would be on the ME bus)? We'd like to have a car to get to the parks, but we like the idea of ME handling our bags. Also, we can get a smaller car if we never have to put all of our luggage in it.

If we do resort check-in (we'll fly Jet Blue) and have a rental car, we won't need ME on the way back, right? Or the three of us could ride the bus and DH could drive. I have never used resort check in or ME before, can you tell? Thanks!
Yes, you can use DME for your luggage if most of your party will be riding the bus. That's actually a good compromise. And a fun way to start the trip. And yes, you would be able to make do with a much smaller car that way.
For the return trip, you can check your bags at the resort, get your boarding passes issued, and then hop in your car when you are ready to return to the airport. No one needs to ride the bus on the way back.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #455
rave13
2 birthdays and an unbirthday in between

Hi Tyler. Thanks for all the info you've posted.

You may have already replied to a situation like mine, but I really don't have the time to read all 30 pages (and I'll probably forget the question by the time I'm done).

Mu flight out on 10/27 is at 7 am. This means I have to leave at 4 am. I get the impression from an earlier post that I would have to take my luggage on the Magical Espress transport to the airport since the desk is not open until 5 am. What if I check my luggage the day before (10/26), would they be able to process it and have it there and checked in for my flight the next morning (or ready for me to check it in)?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #456
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Question

I'm not flying till June 2008 and have a reservation already at the Poly and are planning on using the ME for both ways. I'm not sure if this is a dup question, so I apoligize if you may have already answered something like this.

First, I'm checking flights from out of Chicago and we want to fly out in the morning preferably between 7-8 am CST. and fly non-stop. A huge perk would be to sit near the front of the plane for both flights as we have 4 kids, last to board, first off, generally good. We'll be buying all our 4 kids a seat, even though the youngest is under 2 at time of travel.

Now I have been checking the various airline's sites and the different travel flight finders for flights. Suprisingly there are so few flights that would work for us. I see Ted/United, AA and US Air. Now the US Air flights are the cheapest, even though it's not cheap for a family of 6. But I'd be nervous to book with them, if they may not be participating with the ME.

So my first question: if we book flights with US Air and the ME test is over, can we still take the ME but pick up and check our own baggage?

2nd question? What do you know about those seat finders on the web sites? Most flights show all the same seats taken. how accurate is that?

3rd? My DM (Mom) is flying down with us, but is flying home on a different day. How do I book her seperate return flight doing this on my own?

4th? in 2005 I booked my own flights, had a travel agent do the room. This time I'm not working with one, or have one to use. Because of my concern for the flights, thinking I should get these booked now. do you recommend I use one or call for help? And how do I find a good one?

Thanks for your help.

lost & confused in travel plans...
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #457
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
I'm not flying till June 2008 and have a reservation already at the Poly and are planning on using the ME for both ways. I'm not sure if this is a dup question, so I apoligize if you may have already answered something like this.

First, I'm checking flights from out of Chicago and we want to fly out in the morning preferably between 7-8 am CST. and fly non-stop. A huge perk would be to sit near the front of the plane for both flights as we have 4 kids, last to board, first off, generally good. We'll be buying all our 4 kids a seat, even though the youngest is under 2 at time of travel.

Now I have been checking the various airline's sites and the different travel flight finders for flights. Suprisingly there are so few flights that would work for us. I see Ted/United, AA and US Air. Now the US Air flights are the cheapest, even though it's not cheap for a family of 6. But I'd be nervous to book with them, if they may not be participating with the ME.

So my first question: if we book flights with US Air and the ME test is over, can we still take the ME but pick up and check our own baggage?

2nd question? What do you know about those seat finders on the web sites? Most flights show all the same seats taken. how accurate is that?

3rd? My DM (Mom) is flying down with us, but is flying home on a different day. How do I book her seperate return flight doing this on my own?

4th? in 2005 I booked my own flights, had a travel agent do the room. This time I'm not working with one, or have one to use. Because of my concern for the flights, thinking I should get these booked now. do you recommend I use one or call for help? And how do I find a good one?

Thanks for your help.

lost & confused in travel plans...

Okay, lets see if we can take these one at a time...

1. If you end up on a non-participating airline, you can just take your bags on the DME bus back to the airport. There, you will go up to the main level, check your bags and go through security, just the same as usual. If you are on a participating airline, you can check those bags right at your resort, and get your boarding pass..which means you just hop on the bus, with your carryon bags, and head right to security at MCO. Remember, anyone can use DME for their arrival to MCO...just put those yellow luggage tags on your bags at home, then when you get to MCO, go right to DME checkin, and hop on the bus. Your bags will show up in your room within 3 hrs. of resort checkin.

2. I believe you will find that in most cases, the first row in regular planes is set aside for minors traveling alone, or those with some type of medical disability. I have been able to snag the second row but not the first one. If the seating chart shows a seat as taken, or a row as taken, you can be sure they truly are taken.

3. For your mom, I would book her on a different reservation. When I fly down, there are times when my dd and dh join me later, but fly home together. I do myself and then do them together. So....when you book your family, don't book your mom. Then, when that booking is done, go back and book her her reservation. That way she doesn't have to worry about leaving at a different time/day. And it's just her reservation...less room to make a mistake on the airlines part.

4. If you've booked flights on your own before, go for it. I would book the flights as soon as you find what you want, at a price you can live with, and then add DME to the room reservation.

Hope this helps a bit!!!

Last edited by goofy4tink; 10-01-2007 at 04:02 PM.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #458
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rave13 View Post
Hi Tyler. Thanks for all the info you've posted.

You may have already replied to a situation like mine, but I really don't have the time to read all 30 pages (and I'll probably forget the question by the time I'm done).

Mu flight out on 10/27 is at 7 am. This means I have to leave at 4 am. I get the impression from an earlier post that I would have to take my luggage on the Magical Espress transport to the airport since the desk is not open until 5 am. What if I check my luggage the day before (10/26), would they be able to process it and have it there and checked in for my flight the next morning (or ready for me to check it in)?
Currently all bags must be checked Same-Day.

There are talks about either opening the desk earlier, or allowing previous day checking. At this time it is just talk, nothing more.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #459
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Okay, lets see if we can take these one at a time...

1. If you end up on a non-participating airline, you can just take your bags on the DME bus back to the airport. There, you will go up to the main level, check your bags and go through security, just the same as usual. If you are on a participating airline, you can check those bags right at your resort, and get your boarding pass..which means you just hop on the bus, with your carryon bags, and head right to security at MCO. Remember, anyone can use DME for their arrival to MCO...just put those yellow luggage tags on your bags at home, then when you get to MCO, go right to DME checkin, and hop on the bus. Your bags will show up in your room within 3 hrs. of resort checkin.

2. I believe you will find that in most cases, the first row in regular planes is set aside for minors traveling alone, or those with some type of medical disability. I have been able to snag the second row but not the first one. If the seating chart shows a seat as taken, or a row as taken, you can be sure they truly are taken.

3. For your mom, I would book her on a different reservation. When I fly down, there are times when my dd and dh join me later, but fly home together. I do myself and then do them together. So....when you book your family, don't book your mom. Then, when that booking is done, go back and book her her reservation. That way she doesn't have to worry about leaving at a different time/day. And it's just her reservation...less room to make a mistake on the airlines part.

4. If you've booked flights on your own before, go for it. I would book the flights as soon as you find what you want, at a price you can live with, and then add DME to the room reservation.

Hope this helps a bit!!!
Thanks Di,

It does help. I think I'll do a little more looking and try to get a flight on a for sure participating ME carrier. We really want that convience. And I think I'll do the 2 ressies 1 for my fam one for mom, that should work. I think I'll be doing it soon, getting nervous may not get what we want/need with one child under 2 and one child on the autistic spectrum.

Thanks for responding back and keeping up these posts. It really helps!
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:02 AM   #460
inky dinky doo
I've got the best cure for the blues. Schedule another trip to Walt Disney World, now!
The only problem with losing weight is that I'm beginning to look like a rapper

Can anyone tell me how long before departure ME picks guests up at their resort for the return trip to the airport? I'm trying to plan our last day, and didn't see this mentioned in the first post.

Thanks so much!

Pat

20 days and counting . . . again!

inky dinky doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #461
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky dinky doo View Post
Can anyone tell me how long before departure ME picks guests up at their resort for the return trip to the airport? I'm trying to plan our last day, and didn't see this mentioned in the first post.

Thanks so much!

Pat

About 3 hours before your flight time is when they will pick you up.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #462
inky dinky doo
I've got the best cure for the blues. Schedule another trip to Walt Disney World, now!
The only problem with losing weight is that I'm beginning to look like a rapper

Thanks so much, dburg! That's great news! It gives us at least a little time to do something on our last day.

Pat

inky dinky doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #463
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky dinky doo View Post
Thanks so much, dburg! That's great news! It gives us at least a little time to do something on our last day.

Pat

Just one to thing to be aware of...if they give you a time of, say, 6:00 pm to be back at the bus.....be there a good 30 mins beforehand. If you have left any bags, such as your carryons, with bell services, it could take a bit of time to retrieve them. And the bus leaves right on time...when they say 6, they mean 6! Not to show up at 6, but to be there for a 6 departure. There have been reports from people who cut it too closely and while they were off getting their bags from bell services, the bus left, without them!!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #464
Terry36
DIS Veteran

Can someone please confirm if this is how the process works for a Southwest traveler?

Arrival
1. Check bags in @ Southwest counter (w/yellow tags)
2. Arrive @ MCO and go straight to the bus (bags will automatically be taken to bus by ME associates??)
3. Arrive @ hotel, check in and bags magically appear

Departure
1. I will bring bags to bus for loading
2. I will bring bags to counter for checkin

THANKS
Terry36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #465
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry36 View Post
Can someone please confirm if this is how the process works for a Southwest traveler?

Arrival
1. Check bags in @ Southwest counter (w/yellow tags)
2. Arrive @ MCO and go straight to the bus (bags will automatically be taken to bus by ME associates??)
3. Arrive @ hotel, check in and bags magically appear

Departure
1. I will bring bags to bus for loading
2. I will bring bags to counter for checkin

THANKS

THAT'S IT!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: